BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Canada's Drag Race // Season 1, Now with THE WINNER SPOILERS - CAUTION
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Slick
post 5th July 2020, 05:47 PM
Post #41
Group icon
electric butterflies
Pronouns: he/him
User: 70
I really thought the first ep was lacking personality. It felt so empty compared to the quirkiness and humour of the US version. I'm not impressed by the queens either. That runway was shocking and the lipsync was disappointing and flat which is a shame given the great song choice.

I will continue watching (for Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman if nothing else). It's not got off to a great start for me though.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 5th July 2020, 06:40 PM
Post #42
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047
I actually really loved the lipsync!

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post 6th July 2020, 08:53 PM
Post #43
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421
I did enjoy it! I do think the show is still finding its feet a bit as it felt a little lacking of personality throughout and some of the camera angles were a bit weird and distant. I think the clips we saw didn't show off these people to the best of their ability or show much conversation between queens. I think the judges are all fine but we kinda need a 'mean' one like Michelle or a more senior one like Ru to round off the table as they are three very evenly matched judges currently. I did like that the guest for the week became the host and took on those responsibilities Ru has.

Queens wise I still don't particularly have a favourite unfortunately. I'm most drawn to Jimbo and excited to see what she does although I'm not too sure on her personality just yet, I'd rather see her authentic than put on a character all the time. Kyne was horrendous and needs to be taken down a peg or two. I think some of the others like BOA, Scarlett and Ilona will give us the personality but just not yet. I think one of the older queens will be the winner rather than a younger one as they seem more inexperienced rather than exciting like Aquaria or Gigi.

The decision to send Juice Boxx home was correct although I would have liked to seen Kyne in there, especially as her outfit was falling apart!

+Quote this post
p a v
post 6th July 2020, 09:48 PM
Post #44
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
It lacked something, I agree. Maybe it's the judges panel we have gotten so used to so I'll let it slide for now until the next challenge. This really reminded me of the Season 2 opening episode where Shangela was eliminated lmao

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 7th July 2020, 06:06 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588
It was definitely a fun first episode, some good queens and seems like quite a bit of potential.

I did not enjoy Jeffrey on the panel at all. He is obviously incredibly pretty, but seemed so bitchy and I don't really know why he is there anyway. What's his history with drag really? I was hoping to see Kyne go, as her outfit was not good at all and her attitude was even worse.

This post has been edited by Chemistry: 8th July 2020, 05:46 AM

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 7th July 2020, 08:22 PM
Post #46
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
QUOTE(Chemistry @ Jul 7 2020, 07:06 PM) *
It was definitely a fun first episode, some good queens and seems like quite a bit of potential.

I did not enjoy Jeffrey on the panel at all. He is obviously incredibly pretty, but seemed so bitchy and I don't really know why he is there anyway. What's his history with drag really? I was hoping to see Kiara go, as her outfit was not good at all and her attitude was even worse.

I didn’t think Kiara had a bad attitude at all- she seemed happy to be there and didn’t get much screentime at all. Her outfit was FAR better than most on the runway too!

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 7th July 2020, 08:36 PM
Post #47
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161
Maybe it's me but Anastarzia's outfit was hideous lmao, I would've put her low over Lemon and had Kyne in the bottom. At least Lemon tried to do...something, it was just too busy. Kyne's outfit was something I've seen 10000 times on the runway and her attitude was LOUSE, should've been her vs Juice Boxx. I'm with J00psy that Juice won that lip-sync though, she encapsulated IRLY far better than Lemon but tricks win the day I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Boa wasn't top, I'd have had Ilona there instead.

As for the quality of the show, it was fine, very S2/3 of Drag Race with the photoshoot and general styling laugh.gif Jeffery annoyed me too lmao, what exactly does he know about Drag other than being tight with Ru/production? I like Brook Lynn as a queen but she was slightly wooden I felt, I didn't know Stacy but she was the highlight of the panel. The jury's still out for me on the show in general.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 7th July 2020, 10:15 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 12,837
QUOTE(George.keh @ Jul 7 2020, 08:22 PM) *
I didn’t think Kiara had a bad attitude at all- she seemed happy to be there and didn’t get much screentime at all. Her outfit was FAR better than most on the runway too!

Wondering if @Chemistry was mixing up Kyne and Kiara? Don't see how Kiara was worthy of leaving for any reason in this episode laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 8th July 2020, 05:45 AM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588
QUOTE(diva thin muffin @ Jul 7 2020, 10:15 PM) *
Wondering if @Chemistry was mixing up Kyne and Kiara? Don't see how Kiara was worthy of leaving for any reason in this episode laugh.gif

YES, sorry, I was mixing them up. Kiara did very well. I definitely meant Kyne laugh.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 10th July 2020, 08:40 AM
Post #50
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
No-one else watched episode 2 yet?

I found it generally more of a struggle to get through than last week's. Really noticed this week how it hasn't found its feet yet and there was an uneasy amount of Ru in it from her catchphrases to her cadence and jokes being repeated by the hosts on this. Don't get me wrong, I like them all, but it's not coming across as quite it's own thing yet the way Thailand managed out the gate.

Challenge was...another acting challenge that was challenging to watch. I felt there was a bit of humour disconnect between me watching and the judges bc what they found funny wasn't really making me chuckle.

I would've given Priyanka or Jimbo the win here for solid challenge performances plus stellar runways. Not at all disappointed to see the queen who lost this week bowing out, although it seems people online are divided on it. Her lipsync was truly terrible though imo.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 10th July 2020, 10:20 AM
Post #51
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Yeah this week was definitely weaker, but I do tend to enjoy the scripted acting challenges the least, especially when it's based on something we have no idea about as obviously it seems to be a very Canadian thing. Which is fine, but it definitely makes it harder for me to enjoy the episode, it was the same with Thailand when they did stuff like a Thai drama challenge or a musical about a Thai country singer, when you don't know the source being paid homage to, it's harder to enjoy. But even aside from that, at times it feels like they've got a storyboard of any given Drag Race episode, peppered in some Canadian bits and pieces to fill it and made do. I think it is just finding its feet, Drag Race UK was such a serve that I feel like I'm expecting *too* much of Canada. It is good so far but this week was definitely more mixed than last week which I loved, hopefully it was more the challenge than anything!

Priyanka, Lemon and Kiara killed the challenge, Lemon deserved the win because she just slotted right in and felt so natural yet still stood out among more OTT performances, she smashed it! Priyanka was just hilarious although she did have probably the best character that most of them could have done well with, she did have the best runway too though along with Jimbo. Kiara really impressed me after leaving 0 impression on me last week as she really shone when she was on screen and ran with the character, although her runway was too basic for a win. Jimbo was good too but the rest were varying shades of forgettable to bad. I actually thought Kyne wasn't THAT bad and BOA was worse in the challenge, but Kyne's runway was hideous and it's not like she was *good* in the challenge to avoid bottom 2, she was wholly forgettable and just did the bare minimum delivering the lines. I'm glad she went anyway, easily the weak link of the cast as I didn't feel like she ever delivered in any metric.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 10th July 2020, 10:32 AM
Post #52
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
Yeah not a strong challenge or runway at all. Jeffrey just seems to be mimicking Ru as much as possible and it makes me cringe. Brooke and Stacy (and evening the guest host who I forgot the name of) are so much more natural

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 10th July 2020, 10:55 AM
Post #53
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
Yeah agreed, you'd think they'd run with the chance to differentiate from the RuPaul incarnation in the US but they're trying to assimilate as much as possible by having bits of Ru through Jeffrey, whilst also trying to have the different Canadian flairs and I think they clash, it's pushing one way and then pulling it back. I know I shouldn't compare to Thailand really as it's a totally different culture whereas Canada is ofc on the same continent, still within Western culture, culturally it is so much closer, but Thailand did such a better job of still appreciating the source material, Ru made guest appearances and of course there's a vernacular that Drag Race has taught us that is going to be used, but they didn't try and emulate EVERYTHING so hard.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 10th July 2020, 11:08 AM
Post #54
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
I did really tear up at Anastarzia revealing how she got shot though, awful to think that that's still happening in the world sad.gif

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 10th July 2020, 02:02 PM
Post #55
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
Also really appreciating the extended lipsyncs!

+Quote this post
Adam
post 10th July 2020, 06:10 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 4,682
QUOTE(J00psyMethyd @ Jul 10 2020, 09:40 AM) *
I found it generally more of a struggle to get through than last week's. Really noticed this week how it hasn't found its feet yet and there was an uneasy amount of Ru in it from her catchphrases to her cadence and jokes being repeated by the hosts on this. Don't get me wrong, I like them all, but it's not coming across as quite it's own thing yet the way Thailand managed out the gate.

Challenge was...another acting challenge that was challenging to watch. I felt there was a bit of humour disconnect between me watching and the judges bc what they found funny wasn't really making me chuckle.

All of this, still enjoyable but not as much.

I was pleased with the winner!

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 10th July 2020, 07:02 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666
QUOTE(Liаm @ Jul 10 2020, 12:08 PM) *
I did really tear up at Anastarzia revealing how she got shot though, awful to think that that's still happening in the world sad.gif

I cried as well when she opened up about her past!!!

I am still not loving it Canada franchise and I think half of the reason is the judge panel!!!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 11th July 2020, 01:03 AM
Post #58
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316
So happy for Lemon, what a way to bounce back after lip-syncing last week! *.* wub.gif

The challenge wasn't the best, but for me Kyne really wasn't the worst? BOA should have lip-synced, and Tynomi should have been sent home. She was so flat and boring in the challenge, absolutely zero personality on display. It seems like the judges were set on sending Kyne home no matter what though.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 11th July 2020, 01:47 AM
Post #59
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
QUOTE(Calum @ Jul 11 2020, 02:03 AM) *
So happy for Lemon, what a way to bounce back after lip-syncing last week! *.* wub.gif

The challenge wasn't the best, but for me Kyne really wasn't the worst? BOA should have lip-synced, and Tynomi should have been sent home. She was so flat and boring in the challenge, absolutely zero personality on display. It seems like the judges were set on sending Kyne home no matter what though.

Tynomi did slay Kyne in the lipsync though. Surely who ever is sent home should be the worst at the lipsync so if Boa was worse than it should have been Boa even if Tynomi was worse in the challenge. Curious to opinions on this as I think a lipsync should realistically be judged as a clean slate- the most engaging performer in the lipsync ALONE should stay

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 11th July 2020, 07:50 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030
Poor Anastarzia sob.gif

This week wasn't that great. I really liked Jimbo and thought she should've won. Lemon/Kiara/Priyanka all did a great job too. I thought the bottom 2 was right based on runway and the challenge. Kyne did worse in the lip sync and deservedly went home, although Tynomi's lip sync was a bit boring. I feel things will get better as the season progresses and the judges get more comfortable in their roles. Although I don't think it helps having a guest host every week.

+Quote this post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 11:29 AM