BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> UK EOY Box Office - 2023
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
LewisGT
post 16th March 2024, 07:17 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

65. Knock At The Cabin - £3,017,709 (estimated)

SAVE YOUR FAMILY OR SAVE HUMANITY. MAKE THE CHOICE.

While vacationing at a remote cabin, a young girl and her parents are taken hostage by four armed strangers who demand that the family make an unthinkable choice to avert the apocalypse. With limited access to the outside world, the family must decide what they believe before all is lost.

Director: M. Night Shyamalan
Cast: Dave Bautista, Jonathan Groff, Ben Aldridge
Release Date: 2nd February 2023
Distributor: Universal
Certification: 15
Genre: Horror
Rotten Tomatoes: 67%
IMDb: 6.1

Top 15 Chart Run: 3-5-6-9 (4 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £985,027 (#3)

Adapted from the 2018 novel 'The Cabin At The End Of The World', M. Night Shyamalan seems to have left both the initial hit-maker phase and the following massive flop phase of his career and entered the middling-hit phase where his films has been making solid, if unextraordinary box-office takings while getting ok-to-solid reviews. I did see this one when it came to streaming, Bautista is proving himself to be the most talented of the wrestlers-turn-actors that have cracked Hollywood.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 16th March 2024, 07:34 PM
Post #42
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

'Knock At the Cabin' was SOOOOO GOOD until the last 20 mins... when it all falls apart and pisses me off. UGH!

'Talk To Me', 'Past Lives' & 'Godzilla Minus One' all deserved more than they got, even though they were clear big hits.

I was very surprised at how poorly 'Sumotherhood' did at the Box Office. I assume late 00's and that woulda been a multi week number 1 with 5x it's gross.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 16th March 2024, 07:35 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

64. Mummies - £3,096,154 (estimated)

DISCOVER A NEW WORLD.

Through a series of unfortunate events, three mummies end up in present-day London and embark on a wacky and hilarious journey in search of an old ring belonging to the Royal Family, stolen by ambitious archaeologist Lord Carnaby.

Director: Juan Jesús García Galocha
Cast: Joe Thomas, Sean Bean, Hugh Bonneville
Release Date: 31st March 2023
Distributor: Warner Bros.
Certification: U
Genre: Kids
Rotten Tomatoes: 53%
IMDb: 5.9

Top 15 Chart Run: 3-6-8-13-14-12-14-x-15 (8 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £648,460 (#3)

Spanish animation 'Mummies' received a British cast to dub it into English (including 'Shakka' and ex-X Factor contestant 'Rachel Adedeji') and bagged itself a hit. It probably helps the film was set in London with a plot that involves the Royal Family.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 16th March 2024, 07:37 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Tafty³³³ @ Mar 16 2024, 07:34 PM) *
'Knock At the Cabin' was SOOOOO GOOD until the last 20 mins... when it all falls apart and pisses me off. UGH!

Yeah, I wasn't massive on the ending of the film either. Apparently it differs from the novel so maybe that one was better?

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 16th March 2024, 07:46 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

63. 65 - £3,211,909 (estimated)

65 MILLION YEARS AGO, PREHISTORIC EARTH HAD A VISITOR.

65 million years ago, the only 2 survivors of a spaceship from Somaris that crash-landed on Earth must fend off dinosaurs and reach the escape vessel in time before an imminent asteroid strike threatens to destroy the planet.

Director: Scott Beck, Bryan Woods
Cast: Adam Driver, Ariana Greenblatt, Chloe Coleman
Release Date: 10th March 2023
Distributor: Sony
Certification: 12A
Genre: Action
Rotten Tomatoes: 36%
IMDb: 5.4

Top 15 Chart Run: 3-5-7-9 (4 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,270,409 (#3)

We haven't seen a rival Dinosaur franchise to rival 'Jurassic Park' since 'The Land Before Time', but it doesn't look like Adam Driver's pre-historic actioner is going to form any competition. Despite a premise that seemed ripe for some fun B-Movie thrills, this film got poor reviews from critics and audiences agreed. If only this could have landed 2 places lower.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 16th March 2024, 10:33 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

62. The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry - £3,357,529 (estimated)

HOPE IS A JOURNEY.

Harold Fry is an unremarkable man who has made mistakes with all the important things: being a husband, a father and a friend. And now, well into his 60s, he is content to fade quietly into the background of life. Until, one day – Harold learns his old friend Queenie is dying. Harold leaves home, walking to his post office to send her a letter. And out of the blue, Harold decides to keep walking, all the way to her hospice, 450 miles away.

Director: Hettie Macdonald
Cast: Jim Broadbent, Penelope Wilton, Joseph Mydell
Release Date: 28th April 2023
Distributor: eOne
Genre: Drama
Rotten Tomatoes: 80%
IMDb: 6.8

Top 15 Chart Run: 3-4-8-10 (4 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £784,698 (#3)

The geriatric comedy/drama is the one genre of British cinema that seems impervious to any trends. On a whole, it seems like British cinema is not at it's strongest but we still keep churning these out that allow some of our most legendary actors to shine in starring roles. Reading the premise to this one, it seems ripe for a sequel where he gets a divorce, there's no way his wife should be staying with him after he does that laugh.gif

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 16th March 2024, 10:45 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

61. The Fabelmans - £3,359,565 (estimated)

CAPTURE EVERY MOMENT.

Growing up in post-World War II era Arizona, young Sammy Fabelman aspires to become a filmmaker as he reaches adolescence, but soon discovers a shattering family secret and explores how the power of films can help him see the truth.

Director: Steven Spielberg
Cast: Michelle Williams, Paul Dano, Gabriel LaBelle
Release Date: 27th January 2023
Distributor: eOne
Rotten Tomatoes: 92%
IMDb: 7.5

Top 15 Chart Run: 4-7-10-13 (4 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,067,384 (#4)

The King of the Blockbuster, actually released something much more intimate and personal, telling a story based on his own childhood. Michelle Williams is completely OTT in her performance but I enjoyed it and it was nice to see Paul Dano in a role where he wasn't either playing pathetic or terrifying. It has definitely been a trend of directors making autobiographic films of recent times.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 17th March 2024, 02:46 AM
Post #48
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

The Fabelmans was my favourite movie of last year! Love love LOVVVEE that movie.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 18th March 2024, 06:56 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

60. Plane - £3,636,029 (estimated)

SURVIVE TOGETHER OR DIE ALONE.

After a heroic job of successfully landing his storm-damaged aircraft in a war zone, a fearless pilot finds himself between the agendas of multiple militias planning to take the plane and its passengers hostage.

Director: Jean-François Richet
Cast: Gerard Butler, Mike Colter, Tony Goldwyn
Release Date: 27th January 2023
Distributor: Lionsgate
Rotten Tomatoes: 78%
IMDb: 6.5

Top 15 Chart Run: 3-6-7-9-14 (5 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,161,382 (#3)

This opened on the same weekend as 'The Fabelmans' all the way back in January 2023 and opened one place higher. It managed to to maintain this lead throughout the rest of it's run and they end up next to each other on the EOY list. This has a bit of a misleading title as (spoiler alert), the titular Plane crashes pretty early in the film and the film is more about the aftermath.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 18th March 2024, 07:03 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Just doing some updating to previous posts after some more accurate information has been sourced. The BFI doesn't really post much date so a lot of this is off Box Office Mojo's estimates, but I've found some new data and have made the following updates:

'Plane' and 'The Fabelmans' both move up one place to accommodate 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry' entering at #62. Box Office Mojo has 'TUPOHF' as being higher but I've seen it's gross from late in it's run and there's no way it's higher.

Screen Daily has confirmed that 'Anatomy Of A Fall' has now passed £2 million which has moved it from #99-#80. I did say in my original post that the estimate seemed far too low.

I'll have some new posts up later smile.gif

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 18th March 2024, 08:48 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

59. Allelujah - £3,659,343 (estimated)

A ROUSING, POT-BANGING SUCCESS

When news of the closure of a small hospital’s geriatric ward begins to reach the community, the hospital invites a local news crew to document their planning of a concert in honor of the hospital’s most celebrated nurse. But there might be something more threatening to the hospital itself, more deadly than the politicians ready to shut down the place at a moment’s notice.

Director: Richard Eyre
Cast: Jennifer Saunders, Russell Tovey, Judi Dench
Release Date: 17th March 2023
Rotten Tomatoes: 38%
IMDb: 6.0

Top 15 Chart Run: 4-5-8-11 (4 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £715,783 (#4)

Adapted from an Alan Bennett play, 'Allelujah' is another one of those British dramas that quietly rack-up some nice box office after modest openings. This one got a bit of a critical mauling but the star-power seen it through. I don't know the exact details but I heard that this one has an out-of-place twist that cheapens the 'Save the NHS' message the film otherwise supports. There's no official tagline for this one so I've just nabbed the quote of a review from the poster.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 18th March 2024, 09:01 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

58. Empire Of Light - £3,839,708 (estimated)

FILM. AN ILLUSION OF LIFE.

Hilary (Olivia Colman) is a cinema manager struggling with her mental health, and Stephen (Micheal Ward) is a new employee longing to escape the provincial town where he faces daily adversity. Together they find a sense of belonging and experience the healing power of music, cinema, and community.

Director: Sam Mendes
Cast: Olivia Colman, Michael Ward, Colin Firth
Release Date: 9th January 2023
Distributor: Disney
Rotten Tomatoes: 46%
IMDb: 6.6

Top 15 Chart Run: 3-7-13 (3 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,721,921 (#3)

Before this films release, you would have been forgiven for thinking it was going to be a huge Awards contender. Sam Mendes was coming fresh off the mega success of '1917' and Olivia Colman has become synonymous with class with her recent projects but this ended up feeling like a misfire in both of their careers. It had a massive opening weekend when compared to the other films in this region (admittedly with a lot of previews totalled in) but only managed 3 weeks in the top 15 and sunk without a trace. It had ambitions to be the new 'Cinema Paradiso' but it wasn't to be. Let's hope those four Beatles biopics directed by Medes are any good, eh.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 18th March 2024, 09:19 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

57. Babylon - £3,900,000 (estimated)

ALWAYS MAKE A SCENE.

A tale of outsized ambition and outrageous excess, tracing the rise and fall of multiple characters in an era of unbridled decadence and depravity during Hollywood’s transition from silent films and to sound films in the late 1920s.

Director: Damien Chazelle
Cast: Margot Robbie, Brad Pitt, Diego Calva
Release Date: 20th January 2023
Distributor: Paramount
Certification: 18
Rotten Tomatoes: 57%
IMDb: 7.1

Top 15 Chart Run: 3-6-10-12 (4 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,323,683 (#3)

Talking of films, you would have been forgiven for thinking were going to be a huge Awards contender, this opened a week after 'Empire Of Light' and ended up making about the same amount. Damien Chazelle somehow convinced Paramount to splash an $80 million budget on this 3-hour 1920s Hollywood set, 18-certifficate comedy about the transition from silent films into 'talkies'. Despite being a critical darling (until this film), I'm only 1/3 on Chazelle films I've seen ('Whiplash' is a masterpiece, 'La La Land' and 'First Man' can get in the bin) but I am intrigued to finally sit down and watch this one at some point. It apparently has the wildest Elephant scene since 'Grimsby'.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 18th March 2024, 09:36 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

56. No Hard Feelings - £3,920,000 (estimated)

PRETTY. AWKWARD.

On the brink of losing her childhood home, Maddie discovers an intriguing job listing: wealthy helicopter parents looking for someone to “date” their introverted 19-year-old son, Percy, before he leaves for college. To her surprise, Maddie soon discovers the awkward Percy is no sure thing.

Director: Gene Stupnitsky
Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Andrew Barth Feldman, Matthew Broderick
Release Date: 23rd June 2023
Distributor: Sony
Genre: Comedy
Rotten Tomatoes: 70%
IMDb: 6.4

Top 15 Chart Run: 3-6-7-8-13 (5 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,181,383 (#3)

Although she was in Apple+'s 'Causeway', in 2022, this felt like the proper big Hollywood comeback for Jennifer Lawrence after the best part of a decade away and it was certainly an interesting choice. A comedy where she plays a woman in her 30s being paid to 'date' a teenage boy by his parents. Slightly icky premise aside, this is a rare big-budgeted studio broad-comedy released in cinemas recently and I think that is to be celebrated.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 20th March 2024, 08:28 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

55. Ferrari - £4,175,000 (estimated)

We are the Competition

Set in the summer of 1957, with Enzo Ferrari's auto empire in crisis, the ex-racer turned entrepreneur pushes himself and his drivers to the edge as they launch into the Mille Miglia, a treacherous 1,000-mile race across Italy.

Director: Michael Mann
Cast: Adam Driver, Penélope Cruz, Shailene Woodley
Release Date: 26th December 2023
Distributor: Black Bear
Rotten Tomatoes: 72%
IMDb: 6.5

Top 15 Chart Run: 2-8-12 (3 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,981,677 (#2)

The unofficial prequel to 'Le Man '66' (or 'Ford v Ferrari' to the uncultured), we conclude the failed Oscar bait section with Michael Mann's 'Ferrari'. It's UK production was co-handled by Sky Movies and the film is already available to watch on there. It feels surprising that this has ended up even this high as it felt like a MASSIVE flop with a blink-and-you-miss-it run in the cinemas. Adam Driver gets the chance to continue his over-the-top Italian persona after 'House of Gucci'. From the confirmed data I can find, this looks like it actually made more than 'No Hard Feelings' so I'm moving it up a space.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 20th March 2024, 08:39 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

54. Pathaan - £4,280,000 (estimated)

THERE IS A STORM COMING. FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT.

An Indian agent races against a doomsday clock as a ruthless mercenary, with a bitter vendetta, mounts an apocalyptic attack against the country.

Director: Siddharth Anand
Cast: Shridhar Rukh Khan, Abbas Tyrewala, Siddharth Anand
Release Date: 25th January 2023
Distributor: Yash Raj
Rotten Tomatoes: 84%
IMDb: 5.8

Top 15 Chart Run: 2-4-8-15 (4 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,967,854 (#2)

We can finally crown the top Indian release of the year as 'Pathaan'. Just getting pipped to being a #1 film by 'Avatar: The Way Of Water' all the way back in January, it got Hindi cinema off to a brilliant start and proved to be unbeatable by the other 7 Indian films in the top 100. I'm not sure if it has been review-bombed but that 5.8 rating on IMDb compared to 84% on Rotten Tomatoes seems sus.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 20th March 2024, 09:03 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

53. Haunted Mansion - £4,350,000 (estimated)

HOME IS WHERE THE HAUNT IS.

A single mom named Gabbie hires a tour guide, a psychic, a priest and a historian to help exorcise her newly bought mansion after discovering it is inhabited by ghosts.

Director: Justin Simien
Cast: LaKeith Stanfield, Rosario Dawson, Owen Wilson
Release Date: 11th August 2023
Distributor: Disney
Rotten Tomatoes: 37%

Top 15 Chart Run: 5-7-7-9-13 (5 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £990,084 (#5)

A reboot of the 2003 film-based-on-theme-park-attraction 'The Haunted Mansion' starring Eddie Murphy, Disney decided to release this film in the MIDDLE OF SUMMER. The most obvious Halloween release of all-time, this film was really set up to flop, and boy did it. A $150 million budget, this could only make £118 million worldwide. There was potential here, there's a great cast and a talented director but the decision to go '12A' already felt strange. A lower budget paired with a Disney+ release at Halloween and I think this would have caught on more.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 20th March 2024, 09:10 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

52. Blue Beetle - £4,600,000 (estimated)

JAIME REYES IS A SUPERHERO WHETHER HE LIKES IT OR NOT.

Recent college grad Jaime Reyes returns home full of aspirations for his future, only to find that home is not quite as he left it. As he searches to find his purpose in the world, fate intervenes when Jaime unexpectedly finds himself in possession of an ancient relic of alien biotechnology: the Scarab.

Director: Angel Manuel Soto
Cast: Xolo Maridueña, Bruna Marquezine, Susan Sarandon
Release Date: 18th August 2023
Genre: Superhero
Rotten Tomatoes: 78%

Top 15 Chart Run: 3-4-8-10 (4 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,189,812 (#3)

Opening just one week after 'Haunted Mansion, this shares the same IMDb score (6.0) but with a much lower Rotten Tomatoes score. This is the first Superhero film to drop out and was one of 4 releases in the now concluded, DC Extended Universe. A lot of the marketing was trying to promote that this was the first 'Latin superhero movie' but despite the strongest review of the four, ends up as the lowest grossing.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 20th March 2024, 09:24 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

51. What's Love Got To Do With It? - £4,811,341 (estimated)

FROM THE PRODUCERS OF BRIDGET JONES'S DIARY, LOVE ACTUALLY AND TICKET TO PARADISE.

Two childhood friends now in their thirties must decide whether to follow their heads or their hearts once the man decides to follow his parents’ advice and enter into an arranged marriage in Pakistan.

Director: Shekhar Kapur
Cast: Lily James, Shazad Latif, Emma Thompson
Release Date: 24th February 2023
Distributor: StudioCanal
Genre: Rom-Com
Rotten Tomatoes: 71%
IMDb: 6.3

Top 15 Chart Run: 4-5-7-8-11-13 (6 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,082,163 (#4)

It's playing off the title of the Tina Turner song, but a biopic this is not. Until 'Wicked Little Letters' just passed it, this was the biggest British comedy of the post-Covid era. A rom-com about arranged marriage, the film is co-set in Pakistan, the nation of the director, Shekhar Kapur.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 21st March 2024, 07:10 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

50. Air - £4,850,000 (estimated)

SOME ICONS ARE MEANT TO FLY.

Discover the game-changing partnership between a then undiscovered Michael Jordan and Nike’s fledgling basketball division which revolutionized the world of sports and culture with the Air Jordan brand.

Director: Ben Affleck
Cast: Matt Damon, Jason Bateman, Ben Affleck
Release Date: 5th April 2023
Rotten Tomatoes: 93%
IMDb: 7.4

Top 15 Chart Run: 4-4-5-8-7-11 (6 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,174,554 (#4)

Kicking off the top half of the 100 is the most successful of the 'product-biopic' genre that has developed over the last few years, 'Air'. This was the latest pairing of Ben Affleck and Matt Damon and tells the story of the creation of the 'Jordan Air' trainers that made Nike the go-to company for trainers. Interestingly, Michael Jordan doesn't really feature in the film much, the focus is more on his mother, played by Viola Davis, and the role she played in the creation of the iconic footwear. I thought this was great and would highly recommend anyone to check it out on Prime Video.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

3 user(s) reading this thread
+ 3 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 10:04 AM