BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
34 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The UK #1 Sessions // Albums Edition, the fun doesn't stop... Sundays 4-7pm
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brer
post 30th September 2022, 10:24 PM
Post #1
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

(I don't have a fancy graphic for the OP like there was for the previous thread, if anyone would like to make one I can edit it in here magic.gif)

So, as I've been teasing for a few months, now that we finally caught up with listening back to every UK #1 single, it's time to rewind the clock back to 22nd July 1956 when Frank Sinatra topped the first ever UK Albums Chart with his 10th album 'Songs For Swingin' Lovers!', and time for a wild ride through the 1,292* and counting collections of tunes that have topped the chart since then, with yours truly taking over as your host to give Julian a well deserved break funky.gif

Now I expect most people who will be interested in this were already part of the usual crew from the #1 singles sessions so will know roughly how I plan to do this but we're a friendly bunch and open to anyone new who wants to join so don't be put off, and for the unititiated here's how these sessions are going to work:

- Firstly, to address the obvious question, we're obviously not going to be listening to all of the UK #1 albums in full - we do want this to end at some point laugh.gif Instead we shall just be listening to one carefully curated song to represent each album. That will be the song that has the highest play count on Spotify, excluding any songs that charted at either #1 or #2 in the singles chart (to avoid repeating songs from the #1 singles sessions and from the planned future #2 sessions).

- We'll congregate together on SyncTube, a website that allows us to all watch videos from YouTube in sync with each other. The site also has a live chat box so we can discuss the songs as they play and any other relevant or indeed irrelevant side chatter. In the previous sessions the link for the room changed every week but SyncTube has recently started allowing the creation of permanent rooms so I have set one of those up to avoid having to post a new link every week! (Feel free to bookmark it, but failing that, there'll always be a link here in this OP... in fact that link is right here).

- Unless there is a mass revolt demanding a change in the schedule I plan to just continue in the same timeslot as the #1 singles sessions were in as that seemed to work well enough for most, that is 4-7pm on Sundays. Regulars will be aware that I have a bad habit of being absent for the start of the sessions due to my questionable time management skills, now that I actually have the responsibility of hosting I will try my utmost to make sure I stick to the schedule but hopefully it shouldn't ever start more than about 15 minutes late.

- With the list of #1 albums being slightly less ubiquitous than that of the #1 singles, and the song choices not necessarily always being predictable, I'm going to keep the tracklists for the sessions a secret at first for the element of surprise although I will post them in the thread for documentation after each session wraps up. You can just peek the playlist on SyncTube for spoilers, or look up yourself what songs will be upcoming, but where's the fun in that.

*according to Wikipedia, I'm unsure if this number includes any questionable double counting this time x
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brer
post 30th September 2022, 10:31 PM
Post #2
Group icon

Planning to kick off on Sunday - and for haters of 1950s music you'll be pleased to know there won't be much of it, and in fact we should be ploughing deep into the 60s in the very first session as the early days of the albums chart were characterised primarily by just a small handful of #1s hogging the top spot for very long periods of time (specifically looking at you South Pacific holding down the #1 spot for the entirety of 1959). Of course that doesn't last forever and some of the more recent years may take up an entire session by themselves! But anyway, under the assumption that 3 hours of music is roughly 45 songs, it appears that'll take us from the inaugural album chart in 1956 all the way up to circa 1966(!)

I'll probably continue the tradition of playing a few bonus songs at the end of the sessions as well although not totally decided on what criteria to base those choices on yet, we'll see, open to any suggestions I suppose! (I am in mind to play an extra song from South Pacific this time so there is some representation for 1959 for one thing laugh.gif)

+Quote this post
Jade
post 30th September 2022, 10:34 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Very much looking forward to a brand new marathon with you all again cheer.gif

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 30th September 2022, 10:50 PM
Post #4
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

It's happening! cheer.gif Looking forward to this and hearing plenty of songs I've not heard before as well as some old classics!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 30th September 2022, 10:55 PM
Post #5
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Ooh yes, this should be wonderful *. I look forward to the choices, especially in recent years where we'd have quite an eclectic mix

I would've probably listened to a few of these as part of my album bucket list so I'd be interested to revisit them!

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 30th September 2022, 11:27 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705

Unfortunately I’m going to Sardinia from tomorrow to the 9th and assume I’ll miss both sessions. sad.gif Will definitely catch up in my own time anyway.

+Quote this post
Notorious D.O.T
post 30th September 2022, 11:29 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 122,344

Looking forward to this Bre, I should hopefully be able to make the first session or at least some of it.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 1st October 2022, 05:35 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Great! Maybe for extras we could play albums that peaked at #2, like with the singles

I'll try to join as much as possible but pretty difficult for me, I'll probably only end up present like 25% of the time like with the singles but I'll try

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 1st October 2022, 08:58 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

Looking forward to this. Sunday's bonuses, as well as an extra South Pacific track, could just be a few tracks from some of the albums kept off the top by SP's greed.

It will be interesting to see how far down the Spotify list you have to go for some albums, particularly Greatest Hits sets where some of the tracks may already have been played from their parent album. It's just as well compilations such as The Beatles' 1 also featured US number ones!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 1st October 2022, 09:52 PM
Post #10
Group icon

I'm finally preparing the tracklist for tomorrow now and already running into issues with some of these albums not being on Spotify and whatnot oops but I'll do my best and make note of any song choices that I have had to compromise on!

+Quote this post
chartjack2
post 1st October 2022, 10:09 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,383

I’m free tomorrow afternoon - so I’ll join you for the start smile.gif

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 1st October 2022, 11:05 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

I'll be there.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 2nd October 2022, 02:19 PM
Post #13
Group icon

We'll be kicking off on time for the first session miraculously!

I underestimated how short a lot of 50s/60s songs are (the 2 minute song trend is not a new thing it appears laugh.gif) so we're actually going to be going even further into the 60s than I expected - in fact all the way up to January 1969!

If you're a fan of 50s musicals, Elvis and The Beatles you're in for a treat from 4pm right here cool.gif

(should also give a fair warning that there was a certain TV show that was popular in the early 60s which produced 3 #1 albums that is... better left in the past, or preferably an alternate timeline where blackface was never considered acceptable mainstream light entertainment)

+Quote this post
Jade
post 2nd October 2022, 02:32 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Alone and wounded

I’m so ready for the trip (quite literally in the latter years) of all The Beatles songs today cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
Brer
post 2nd October 2022, 10:31 PM
Post #15
Group icon

As promised here is the tracklist for the first week, covering our first 61 #1 albums. (This first session has already covered nearly 1/5 of the entire history of the albums chart time wise, but under 1/20 of the unique #1 albums laugh.gif)

Thanks everyone who turned up today, hooray for kicking off with such a high turnout and no technical hitches! I will aim to sort the playlist for next week in the next couple of days and will ask for suggestions for bonus tracks in here once I know what the timeframe for that will be (but I suspect there may have to be a Pink Floyd track for one).

1 Frank Sinatra - Songs For Swingin' Lovers! // Frank Sinatra - I've Got You Under My Skin
2 Carousel OST // Shirley Jones and Gordon Macrae - If I Loved You
3 Oklahoma! OST // Gordon Macrae - Oh What A Beautiful Mornin'
4 The King And I OST // Deborah Kerr, Marni Nixon and Yul Brynner - Shall We Dance?
5 Bill Haley And His Comets - Rock 'N Roll Stage Show // Bill Haley And His Comets - Choo Choo Ch'Boogie
6 Elvis Presley - Rock 'N' Roll (aka Elvis Presley) // Elvis Presley - Blue Suede Shoes
7 High Society OST // Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly - True Love
8 Frank Sinatra - This Is Sinatra! // Frank Sinatra - I've Got The World On A String
9 Nat King Cole - Love Is The Thing // Nat King Cole - Stardust
10 Tommy Steele - The Tommy Steele Story // Tommy Steele & The Steelmen - Water, Water
11 Elvis Presley - Loving You // Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
12 Frank Sinatra - A Swingin' Affair! // Frank Sinatra - The Lady Is A Tramp
13 Pal Joey OST // Rita Hayworth - Bewitched Bothered And Bewildered
14 The Duke Wore Jeans OST // Tommy Steele - Princess
15 My Fair Lady Cast - My Fair Lady // Julie Andrews and Philippa Bevans - I Could Have Danced All Night
16 Elvis Presley - King Creole // Elvis Presley - Trouble
17 South Pacific OST // Nellie Forbush and The Ken Darby Singers - I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair
18 Freddy Cannon - The Explosive Freddy Cannon // Freddy Cannon - Way Down Yonder In New Orleans
19 Elvis Presley - Elvis Is Back! // Elvis Presley - Fever
20 101 Strings - Down Drury Lane To Memory Lane // 101 Strings - Drury Lane To Broadway
21 Elvis Presley - G.I. Blues // Elvis Presley - Pocketful Of Rainbows
22 The George Mitchell Minstrels - The Black And White Minstrel Show // The George Mitchell Minstrels - Leslie Stuart Melodies
23 The Shadows - The Shadows // The Shadows - Sleepwalk
24 Cliff Richard and The Shadows - 21 Today // Cliff Richard - How Wonderful To Know
25 The George Mitchell Minstrels - Another Black And White Minstrel Show // The George Mitchell Minstrels and Al Jolson - Alabamy Bound
26 Elvis Presley - Blue Hawaii // Elvis Presley - Blue Hawaii
27 Cliff Richard and The Shadows - The Young Ones // Cliff Richard - When The Girl In Your Arms Is The Girl In Your Heart
28 West Side Story OST // Betty Wand and George Chakiris - America
29 Elvis Presley - Pot Luck // Elvis Presley - Suspicion
30 Kenny Ball, Chris Barber and Acker Bilk - The Best Of Ball, Barber & Bilk // Kenny Ball & His Jazzmen - Chimes Blues
31 The Shadows - Out Of The Shadows // The Shadows - Cosy
32 The George Mitchell Minstrels - On Stage With The George Mitchell Minstrels // The George Mitchell Minstrels - The Frog And The Mouse
33 Cliff Richard and The Shadows - Summer Holiday // Cliff Richard and The Shadows - Dancing Shoes
34 The Beatles - Please Please Me // The Beatles - Twist And Shout
35 The Beatles - With The Beatles // The Beatles - All My Loving
36 The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones // The Rolling Stones - Route 66
37 The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night // The Beatles - And I Love Her
38 The Beatles - Beatles For Sale // The Beatles - Eight Days A Week
39 The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones No. 2 // The Rolling Stones - Time Is On My Side
40 Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan // Bob Dylan - Blowin' In The Wind
41 Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home // Bob Dylan - Mr. Tambourine Man
42 The Sound Of Music OST // Julie Andrews - My Favorite Things
43 The Beatles - Help! // The Beatles - Yesterday
44 The Beatles - Rubber Soul // The Beatles - In My Life
45 The Rolling Stones - Aftermath // The Rolling Stones - Under My Thumb
46 The Beatles - Revolver // The Beatles - For No One
47 The Monkees - The Monkees // The Monkees - Last Train To Clarksville
48 The Monkees - More Of The Monkees // The Monkees - (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone
49 The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band // The Beatles - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
50 Val Doonican - Val Doonican Rocks, But Gently // Val Doonican - Scarlet Ribbons
51 The Four Tops - Greatest Hits // The Four Tops - Baby I Need Your Loving
52 Diana Ross & The Supremes - Greatest Hits // The Supremes - When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes
53 Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding // Bob Dylan - All Along The Watchtower
54 Scott Walker - Scott 2 // Scott Walker - Jackie
55 Andy Williams - Love, Andy // Andy Williams - Can't Take My Eyes Off You
56 Otis Redding - The Dock Of The Bay // Otis Redding - (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
57 Small Faces - Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake // Small Faces - Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake
58 Tom Jones - Delilah // Tom Jones - My Elusive Dreams
59 Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends // Simon & Garfunkel - Mrs. Robinson
60 The Hollies - Hollies' Greatest // The Hollies - Bus Stop
61 The Beatles - The Beatles // The Beatles - Blackbird

I'm also keeping a running Google Sheet for these which includes my notes on which songs I skipped due to being top 2 hits / albums where I compromised on the song choice due to the albums not being on Spotify (in most cases I am just going with track 1 on these albums to avoid having to painstakingly look up the streams for every song, if the songs are even available separately, should be a safe bet for old greatest hits compilations at least). The link to that is here but don't look at it before the sessions if you don't want to see spoilers.

A couple of those songs are highlighted in red because I am also also making a running Spotify playlist of all of the songs played here, the ones in red are not available on Spotify in any form (others were available on Spotify but not from the album they are assigned to above). Again avert gaze from the bottom of the list before the sessions to avoid spoilers. x

+Quote this post
Brer
post 2nd October 2022, 10:36 PM
Post #16
Group icon

Also the bonus tracks this week were:

Sam Smith and Kim Petras - Unholy (opening song for continuity from the end of the #1 singles sessions)
Bloody Mary - Happy Talk (bonus South Pacific song for 1959 representation)
The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice (from #2 album Pet Sounds)
Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (from #2 album Mary Poppins OST)
Coolio - C U When U Get There (feat. 40 Thevs) (RIP)

+Quote this post
Notorious D.O.T
post 2nd October 2022, 10:56 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 122,344

Great session today Bre.

I actually made a great new discovery in Scott Walker's Jackie which i've been listening to since.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 2nd October 2022, 10:59 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Alone and wounded

I'm loving all of the effort to document this!

'Jackie' was a great discovery for me as well as 'Ogden's Nut Gone Flake' by Small Faces.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 3rd October 2022, 03:06 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

I guess getting the album chart runs is no easy task? even only a top 40... maybe once we are past those albums with gigantic chart runs
Im pretty sure they had them at ukmix

+Quote this post
chartjack2
post 4th October 2022, 05:25 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,383

Could you please play something from the first McCartney solo album as a bonus please next week, as that peaked at #2? I guess Maybe I’m Amazed is the most streamed?

+Quote this post

34 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 02:49 PM