BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Films You Have Watched In 2017!, List & Discuss Any Film You Have Watched Here In 2017!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post 24th April 2017, 11:24 AM
Post #81
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Also watched moneyball the other day, will comment properly later today!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 26th April 2017, 08:07 AM
Post #82
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Watched three more really good films!

The Descendants (2011) - I was surprised at how funny this was but it really had me laughing at times mainly due to the dynamic between Clooney's character and his daughters. It's a shame that pretty much every character was not very nice aside from those three because it made it difficult to enjoy at times. Shailene Woodley was probably my acting highlight though, completely believed her as that character and the film was better when she was acting on screen with Clooney, it's a shame she didn't get more awards attention aside from the Golden Globes.

Hustle & Flow (2005) - Was not expecting to enjoy this much at all but it reminded me of Straight Outta Compton where it's so interesting and thrilling at times that you really end up enjoying it. I loved seeing the musical process scenes (and some of the songs were legitimately catchy, "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" has been stuck in my head ever since) and how it lead up to the shooting scenes which were really intense. The acting was great from everyone so it's not hard to see why Terrence Howard was so praised for his role but I thought Taraji P. Henson did the best job of everyone, her wide-eyed innocence in comparison to the rougher life she lived in was really excellently portrayed imo.

Albert Nobbs (2011) - I'd heard that this was kind of boring so I thought it was going to be difficult to sit through but I actually found the story quite lovely to follow despite little action (a bit like Brooklyn, for me). Glenn Close did a fabulous job, I don't think I've seen her in any serious roles before but you can tell she put a lot of thought into the role with every movement, it reminds me a bit of Eddie Redmayne in his serious roles. The film definitely lit up more in the scenes with Janet McTeer though, she was a scene stealer and you can't take your eyes off her when she's on-screen, such an interesting character!

+Quote this post
Tombo
post 26th April 2017, 08:18 AM
Post #83
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543

I don't think I've seen any film this year...

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 26th April 2017, 11:50 AM
Post #84
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Live And Let Die- The soundtrack more memorable than the film.

+Quote this post
atrilliondollars
post 27th April 2017, 11:42 AM
Post #85
Group icon
New Entry
User: 30,252

Skull Island and Fate of the Furious were really fun movies I watched in the cinema. I like the loud, action-packed flicks

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 30th April 2017, 12:15 AM
Post #86
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

My top 10 YTD!

01. 'Guardians of the Galaxy; Vol 2'
02. 'La La Land'
---
03. 'Split'
---
04. 'Hacksaw Ridge'
---
05. 'The Lego Batman Movie'
06. 'Life'
07. 'Get Out'
---
08. 'Logan'
09. 'Power Rangers'
10. 'The Belko Experiment'

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 30th April 2017, 12:25 AM
Post #87
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Yasss at LLL still slaying your top 2! wub.gif I'm gonna do my YTD now, been meaning to do this for a while!

With my GCSE's coming up rn I literally have no time to watch any films over the next couple of months sad.gif I'm hoping I'll be able to catch GOTG2 though at some point!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 30th April 2017, 12:29 AM
Post #88
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

oops I'm probs gonna triple post now but just remembered I watched a couple films on Netflix with family over the past week!

The Transporter Refuelled - suprisingly really enjoyable, yeah it had some flaws & I didn't rly like the dad but the main guy & the girls were actually pretty good and it was fun & a bit thrilling! 7.5/10

Ben-Hur - contender for worst of 2016. The first 40 minutes were actually pretty good, as was the chariot race itself. The rest of the film was f***ing horrendous though, that middle part just dragged on and on with literally nothing interesting happening and that last 10 minutes........ this really did NOT need a HAPPY ending, it was actually getting more and more ridiculous to the point we were all laughing by the end of the film!! 2.5/10

Also watched 5 minutes of Green Room before my Grandma decided she hated it so that was the end of that laugh.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 30th April 2017, 12:34 AM
Post #89
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

That is an awful tally for me so far into the year of films seen!!! way behind '15/'16 at the same point! Though I have seen quite a few films multiple times! (La La Land - 5 times (4 in cinema, 1 at home), Sing/MBTS/Moonlight - twice (albeit one of MBTS watches was in 2016!)

Though due to the lack of films I've seen, I actually have liked every single film I've seen so far! ohmy.gif

100/10
1. La La Land (shocker!!!)

10/10
2. Sing
3. Beauty & The Beast
4. Lion
5. Manchester By The Sea
6. Get Out
7. Hacksaw Ridge
8. Moonlight
9. Hidden Figures
10. Power Rangers

9/10
11. Middle School: The Worst Years Of My Life
12. Fences

8/10
13. Denial
14. Fast & Furious 8

7/10
15. The Space Between Us

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 30th April 2017, 12:36 AM
Post #90
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

You should go back to 'Green Room' when you can. It's very tense! ohmy.gif

Oh and I really can't see anything troubling that top 2, except maybe 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle'! But they're so far ahead of everything else for me! wub.gif Although I guess 'Spider-Man Homecoming' & 'Thor: Ragnarok' will be the likelier challengers!

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 30th April 2017, 05:10 PM
Post #91
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Saw Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2 today. Amazing film.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 30th April 2017, 06:56 PM
Post #92
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

Still Alice

Reading the book right now and felt th urge to revisit this. Julianne was totally sublime as Alice and perfectly sold the character. Kristen was amazing too. A really
solid book to movie adaption, although one or two bits in the book which I wanted to see were left out (such as a part where Alice walks into her classroom and sits
down thinking she is a student)

Blackhat

I never know where to stand with this movie laugh.gif the plot is a bit "been there done that" but it's still pretty decent. Chris Hemsworth can easily lead a movie and can
defo act but he seems to always take on roles that are either miscast (he does not seem like a master hacker with those muscles) or ends up in a dire movie (Ghostbusters, that boat fish one) unless it's a superhero/warrior role. Rush is the only one where he combines good acting with a solid script.
Still, he's nice to look at.

27 Dresses

Katherine Heigl is a queen of Rom Coms and this is her best movie ever. Fact.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 30th April 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #93
Group icon
c:

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (2011) - I can understand the criticisms with this because the young boy was REALLY rather unlikable but I actually quite enjoyed the plot (even if the ending to the key storyline did end up being very unsatisfying) and the other characters we met along the way. The boy actor was decent (a shame the character was so badly written) but I think Sandra Bullock was my favourite performance, some really emotional scenes sad.gif A shame there wasn't more of her and Hanks (Viola Davis too as she was also fab)! Overall, I enjoyed the journey the film takes you on but it's a shame that it wasn't better executed.

The Town (2010) - After finally watching Argo and loving it, I thought I'd check this out and thought it was brilliant too (think Gone Baby Gone needs to be added to the watch-list too after these two)! Especially loved the ending and the 'sunny day' hint, was a really clever and also heart-warming moment. I'm pleased that Jeremy Renner got the awards recognition as the film definitely shines brightest when he's on screen but I thought the acting was excellent all-round and both Ben Affleck and Rebecca Hall were under-rated in this imo!

+Quote this post
Regina
post 1st May 2017, 11:56 AM
Post #94
Group icon
Raining Shitter

^ Two really good movies there <3 especially The Town. Really strong cast, in particular Jeremy. Rebecca Hall is underrated in general/
And yes, Gone Baby Gone is a must *.*

Iron Man 2 & 3

Of all the superhero movies these are my least favourites, mainly because I've never taken to Iron Man as a character. Don't actually remember either of these two so gave them another go. The first one is a bit poop so left it out. Second one is a bit slow to get going IMO and WHiplash was underutilised as a villain but I liked the Expo
idea and the end fights were good. Black Widow SLAYED.

Third one is actually really good, horrible murder of the Mandarin's character aside (seriously WTF was that?!?!?) and it was nice to see Pepper actually kick ass in this.
Good story and plenty of action. Also really liekd seeing a more emotional/unstable side to Tony and more references to other movies in it that didn't feel shoehorned in.

Planning on revisiting Thor tonight *.*

+Quote this post
Severin
post 1st May 2017, 06:37 PM
Post #95
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

New films seen in 2017 rated in order

10.0 Personal Shopper
9.0 The Blackcoat's Daughter
9.0 Get Out
9.0 Logan
8.0 Kong: Skull Island
8.0 Life
8.0 Split
7.5 The Devil's Candy
6.5 Assassin's Creed
6.5 The Belko Experment
6.0 Rings
5.0 XX

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 3rd May 2017, 08:05 AM
Post #96
Group icon
c:

The Last Station (2009) - This was actually so good, I was only really drawn to it because of the stars but the story really interested me too. I loved how seeing the marriage between the Tolstoy's panned out and the ending was really sad. I also liked the side love story between James McAvoy and his lady friend. My favourite parts were how extra Helen Mirren's character was, what a drama queen ! laugh.gif I also really liked James McAvoy as the lead, thought he was very likable. Why does he have to be so cute in this though, my crush only intensifies!!1 He was even cute as Mr Tumnus wtf laugh.gif

+Quote this post
DJHazey
post 3rd May 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #97
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,783

In the order I watched them.

The Huntsmen: Winter's War
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
John Wick
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Logan
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Pirates of the Caribbean: Stranger Tides
Power Rangers
Doctor Strange
The Fate of the Furious
Guardians of the Galaxy
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (this Saturday)

+Quote this post
Regina
post 3rd May 2017, 05:17 PM
Post #98
Group icon
Raining Shitter

Moonstruck

What a lovely movie wub.gif Cher SO deserved the Oscar, as did Olympia Dukakis. So many touching moments, but the one that sticks out is when Olympia's character goes to have dinner alone but ends up bonding with the man whore who gets dumped at the table next to her. It's really heartwarming.

Precious

Not an easy movie to watch at times but at the same time so gripping and so emotionally powerful. Again, a well deserved Oscar win, for Mo'Nique
, such an unlikeable character. I wish there was more praise for Paula Patton in this though, she really shone for me. Mariah Carey shockingly not awful either, although
she sounded like she was a robot at some points.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 3rd May 2017, 11:06 PM
Post #99
Group icon
c:

Still need to get around to watching Moonstruck! I really liked Cher in Silkwood so need to see what all the hype was about in order for her to win. I liked Dukakis in Steel Magnolias too laugh.gif

Precious is a fantastic movie though, I had to turn away from the screen a couple times when watching it. Mo'nique has one of the best supporting performances ever for me imo too, the "who was gonna love me?" scene is SO well acted.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 4th May 2017, 10:40 AM
Post #100
Group icon
c:

Happy-Go-Lucky (2008) - I love Sally Hawkins so watched it for her and she was so brilliant, so gutted she won the Golden Globe for this role but was snubbed everywhere else that year sad.gif She was MADE for the role and it's easily the most I've laughed at a film in ages, the scenes with her and the driving instructor were especially hilarious (and actually built to a really good scene between the two characters towards the end, wasn't expecting that to come from it). The minor characters were all fabulous too, especially liked her Spanish flamenco teacher and sarcastic flatmate but everyone was great in the film in my opinion.

Midnight in Paris (2011) - I have seen this before but not since it was out at the cinemas so it was nice to finally get around to re-watching it. I like pretty much all Woody Allen films and like usual, I enjoyed the witty and intelligent dialogue in this the most. The interactions with the writers and artists of the past were really fun and I think the role really suited Owen Wilson, it's nice seeing him not just do silly comedies. All of the supporting cast did a good job too, my other highlights being Rachel McAdams and Michael Sheen (who was insufferable, in a good way! laugh.gif). Getting even more excited for Wonder Wheel to come out this year now, especially as it stars Queen Kate Winslet wub.gif

+Quote this post

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 03:34 AM