BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> X ● album discussion, 10th album ● 2007
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Padamic Tension
post 22nd November 2020, 10:56 AM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

It was close enough, I miss the days of q4 big sales especially when nearly all the top 10 could clear 100k.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 22nd November 2020, 11:30 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ Nov 22 2020, 10:56 AM) *
It was close enough, I miss the days of q4 big sales especially when nearly all the top 10 could clear 100k.

Such exciting times back then when 100k wouldn’t even make the Top 10 in the peak weeks!

Also incredible that despite the collapse Kylie is still consistently pulling in massive first week sales compared to the market.

This post has been edited by ___∆___: 22nd November 2020, 12:09 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 22nd November 2020, 01:27 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Kylie is def holding her own, 55k opening is great for Kylie considering how the market is and 33 years in still able to achieve one of the highest openings of the year is not to be overlooked.

+Quote this post
markivj
post 23rd November 2020, 04:56 AM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 78,351

The thing I remember about this album is - it's 2007 Q4, X Factor is huge.... K is invited.... and she sings WOW to a huge audience, and it goes top ten immediately.

Even to this today, I think of her singing "The One" or "In My arms" instead.

"X" to me represents missed opportunities. On one hand, you had classic classic solid pop songs like "The One", "Like a drug", IMA..... you had the cool edgy stuff like Speakerphone....but it all went tits up with the lead release that had NOTHING in spirit or tone with the rest of album. And to top it off, the wasted US effort of "All I see", and the horrid video to boot.

I am surprised the Kylie Show didn't bring in the numbers though. I thought both The One and Sensitised were done very well.

EDIT to add: I'll never understand why K loves Wow so much. It's no LAFS!

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ Nov 22 2020, 05:27 AM) *
Kylie is def holding her own, 55k opening is great for Kylie considering how the market is and 33 years in still able to achieve one of the highest openings of the year is not to be overlooked.

So very true! And to think she outsold Taylor, Gaga, Adriana, etc. - the ones that get all radio airplay, media and streaming love.

This post has been edited by markivj: 23rd November 2020, 04:58 AM

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 28th November 2020, 10:12 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

QUOTE(markivj @ Nov 23 2020, 04:56 AM) *
The thing I remember about this album is - it's 2007 Q4, X Factor is huge.... K is invited.... and she sings WOW to a huge audience, and it goes top ten immediately.

I always remember that! It was floating around the charts a bit (32-28-43-29-27-26-22-20-18-5-5...) and then the XF performance helped it shoot up the charts cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 29th November 2020, 03:50 AM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Ya wow took a while to get but that performance gave it the big boost, wow had a great chart run.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 30th November 2020, 01:57 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Wow like All The Lovers had wide appeal well outside her fanbase.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 30th November 2020, 06:36 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Lost Hit: Kylie Minogue’s “Cherry Bomb”

Few eras in pop history have been as transparent as Kylie Minogue’s X. In so far as the vast majority of the fifty plus demos have either leaked, been released or at least performed live. Which has given fans the opportunity to construct their own version of the album. On mine, songs like “White Diamond,” “Do It Again” and “Rippin’ Up The Disco” definitely make the cut, while “Cherry Bomb” would be promoted to a single. It still beggars belief that this bop was relegated to a B-side.

Produced by Bloodshy & Avant (the Swedes behind most of Britney Spears’ Blackout), “Cherry Bomb” is an instantly catchy electro-pop banger that still sounds ahead of the curve in 2020. “The suspense is wild, the more I think of you the more I melt like ice cream,” Kylie begins the lost hit over icy synths. “Because the heat of you has got me craving and there’s nothing I can do.” That takes us to the kind of chorus that would have all but guaranteed a hit within the context of the 2008 electro-pop explosion.

“The thought of you fills me with a sweet surprise, come to me tonight,” Kylie purrs. “I’m feeling dynamite, my heart is a delicious cherry bomb.” For whatever reason, “Cherry Bomb” was passed over for the standard and deluxe editions of X, but eventually saw the light of day as a B-side for “Wow.” Fans instantly embraced it (because it’s a top-tier banger) and the Aussie pop icon eventually performed the song on 2012’s Anti Tour (below). Get reacquainted with one of the real missed opportunities in Kylie’s discography below.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 24th January 2021, 09:04 PM
Post #49
Group icon
User: 13,007

Big fan of the singles on this and have heard the album a while ago~

1. The One
2. In My Arms
3. Wow
4. All I See
5. 2 Hearts
6. No More Rain
7. Stars
8. Sensitized
9. Cosmic
10. Like a Drug
11. Heart Beat Rock
12. Speakerphone
13. Nu-di-ty

This was actually a LOT better than I remember it being/expected. Some of it sounds quite dated but other moments are really great! I see it as an album with light and shade including brilliant singles and some FANTASTIC album tracks, alongside some really throwaway moments and unfortunately it is those that sound dated (and very low budget oops). 'Wow' used to be my absolute favourite from her around the time it was released but two of the others have crept their way ahead over time. The rest of the tracks I really enjoyed: 'All I See' sounds like it could be a Janet Jackson track or something - did not see her doing this breezy R&B sound so well! 'No More Rain', 'Stars' and 'Sensitized' were great listens too. The bottom three tracks however were really quite bad for me sad.gif Maybe I need to listen again a few more times, but they stick out as sore thumbs when listening through the album as a whole as being complete filler (and at times annoying oops). But overall, I am impressed with this. I don't know why I expected to not enjoy it and find it very dated and of its time ~ that electronic 00s sound done badly - but I was proven wrong because some of the more softer album tracks.

And how was 'Cherry Bomb' not included on the main tracklist ahead of the bottom 3 I have ranked there drama.gif

Album ranking
01. Fever
02. Kylie Minogue
03. Light Years
04. Rhythm of Love
05. Impossible Princess
06. X
07. Kylie
08. Enjoy Yourself
09. Let's Get To It
10. Body Language

Starting to find it increasingly hard to rank the albums! drama.gif At times X is ahead of even Light Years but I have given that so much more time so it has to remain ahead. I have also downgraded Rhythm Of Love a bit.. Ahhhh idk this is tough~

edit: changed my album order again tearsmile.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 25th January 2021, 04:15 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Seeing Like a drug so low is a surprise as its usually rated highly plus im also a huge fan of the song.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 28th January 2021, 04:54 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Like a Drug and The One are the finest moments on X.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 30th January 2021, 11:47 AM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Santa Haus @ Jan 24 2021, 09:04 PM) *
Big fan of the singles on this and have heard the album a while ago~

1. The One
2. In My Arms
3. Wow
4. All I See
5. 2 Hearts
6. No More Rain
7. Stars
8. Sensitized
9. Cosmic
10. Like a Drug
11. Heart Beat Rock
12. Speakerphone
13. Nu-di-ty

This was actually a LOT better than I remember it being/expected. Some of it sounds quite dated but other moments are really great! I see it as an album with light and shade including brilliant singles and some FANTASTIC album tracks, alongside some really throwaway moments and unfortunately it is those that sound dated (and very low budget oops). 'Wow' used to be my absolute favourite from her around the time it was released but two of the others have crept their way ahead over time. The rest of the tracks I really enjoyed: 'All I See' sounds like it could be a Janet Jackson track or something - did not see her doing this breezy R&B sound so well! 'No More Rain', 'Stars' and 'Sensitized' were great listens too. The bottom three tracks however were really quite bad for me sad.gif Maybe I need to listen again a few more times, but they stick out as sore thumbs when listening through the album as a whole as being complete filler (and at times annoying oops). But overall, I am impressed with this. I don't know why I expected to not enjoy it and find it very dated and of its time ~ that electronic 00s sound done badly - but I was proven wrong because some of the more softer album tracks.

And how was 'Cherry Bomb' not included on the main tracklist ahead of the bottom 3 I have ranked there drama.gif

Thought you might like 'All I See', it is very Janet-esque and I think the production bares a striking resemblance to Jordin Sparks' 'One Step at a Time' (Kylie's song was first though). It tends to be considered one of the worst on the album (we sent in AF Idol for 'Worst Single'!) so it makes a change to see it as high as #4! Very pleased to see another '2 Hearts' fan! A lot of fans think it was the wrong lead single and would choose either of your Top 2, would you agree?

Totally agree about 'Cherry Bomb' not being included! I'd have loved 'Magnetic Electric' and 'Rippin' Up the Disco' on the main tracking list too and would say either could have made great alternative titles for the album.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 30th January 2021, 05:48 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I dont agree with all the comments here but i do agree Cherry Bomb' 'Magnetic Electric' and Rippin' Up the Disco should have easily made it on the album.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 30th January 2021, 07:31 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Those three tracks are of higher quality than half the songs on X.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 31st January 2021, 11:53 AM
Post #55
Group icon
User: 13,007

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Jan 30 2021, 11:47 AM) *
Thought you might like 'All I See', it is very Janet-esque and I think the production bares a striking resemblance to Jordin Sparks' 'One Step at a Time' (Kylie's song was first though). It tends to be considered one of the worst on the album (we sent in AF Idol for 'Worst Single'!) so it makes a change to see it as high as #4! Very pleased to see another '2 Hearts' fan! A lot of fans think it was the wrong lead single and would choose either of your Top 2, would you agree?

Totally agree about 'Cherry Bomb' not being included! I'd have loved 'Magnetic Electric' and 'Rippin' Up the Disco' on the main tracking list too and would say either could have made great alternative titles for the album.

'All I See' completely passed me by in previous listens to the album and it as a standalone song but it really struck a chord with me with the listen throughs I did for my ranking! Maybe because it stands apart from the rest of the album sonically, or maybe because I heard the great retro-R&B vibes more clearly but I couldn't not rate it highly!

I would actually agree that '2 Hearts' isn't the best era opener. I'd easily pick one of 'In My Arms' or 'The One' as the lead (or even 'Wow' because of how striking it is and catchy as a song) but I do think they did well with the singles for the era and maybe giving '2 Hearts' a chance to shine pre-album and early into the era was needed because it may have been overshadowed a bit later on thinking.gif

And yes agreed - the bonus tracks are largely great, especially those that you mentioned!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 24th November 2022, 04:48 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

+Quote this post
Red Blooded Man
post 25th November 2022, 10:36 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 822

The album that could have gone double platinum...

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 25th November 2022, 11:26 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

It easily should of at the very least.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 8th January 2023, 05:23 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Some ‘X’ music video behind the scenes uploaded to the fan channel Kylie&Dannii:

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 4th June 2023, 04:45 PM
Post #60
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Yet another X demo track leaked

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 08:17 PM