BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Madonna to direct Michaela Deprince biopic
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 13th March 2018, 06:23 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Madonna Set to Direct Film Adaptation of Michaela Deprince's Memoir 'Taking Flight'
13/03/2018 | By Stephen Daw

Madonna was announced on Tuesday as the director for the upcoming MGM film Taking Flight, a movie based on ballet dancer Michaela Deprince’s memoir Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina.

The plot centers around Deprince, who spent her childhood as an orphan in war-torn Sierra Leone, only to be adopted and taken to the United States, where she later rose to prominence as a world-famous ballerina. The film’s screenplay will be adapted by Camilla Blackett, known for her work on the television shows Fresh Off the Boat and New Girl.

The “Material Girl” singer has some experience in the directing field -- she made her debut as a director on 2008 British dramedy Filth and Wisdom, and later directed historical romance W.E. in 2011. Madonna also has a number of upcoming projects, including an adaptation of the Sean Greer novel The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells.

“Michaela’s journey resonated with me deeply as both an artist and an activist who understands adversity,” Madonna says in an exclusive statement. “We have a unique opportunity to shed light on Sierra Leone and let Michaela be the voice for all the orphaned children she grew up beside. I am honored to bring her story to life.”

This is one of a number of projects in the works at MGM currently being helmed by female directors. Other upcoming female-led films from the studio include The Sun is Also A Star, directed by Ry Russo Young, and a remake of the '80s teen romance Valley Girl, directed by Rachel Lee Goldenberg.

“We could not be more thrilled that Madonna will bring this remarkable story to the big screen,” says MGM president Jonathan Glickman. “There is no director better suited to tell Michaela’s journey with passion and sensitivity, and we cannot wait to bring this film to audiences all around the world.”

(Source: Billboard)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vibe
post 13th March 2018, 07:12 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

I think W.E was well directed so I’m happy about this .

W.E was just not thrilling or an exciting story however .

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 13th March 2018, 07:20 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

W.E. was very well directed, I think that's an area that Madonna is well equipped for so I'm confident she'll do a good job in this and future directing roles.

I enjoyed W.E. as a story as well though.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 14th March 2018, 05:10 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

So excited to be able to bring the story of this rare and talented soul to the world! 💃🏿💃🏿💃🏿. @michaeladeprince . Michaela’s journey resonates with me deeply as both an artist and an activist who understands adversity. We have a unique opportunity to shed light on a dire situation in Sierra Leone and let Michaela be the voice for all the orphaned children she grew up with. I am honored to bring her story to life and to direct this project. 🌈🎉🌸💕#takingflight #michaeladeprince #believe 🙏🏻 #bebrave

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 25th March 2018, 12:02 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Madonna met with Michaela DePrince and scriptwriter Camilla Blackett a couple of days ago to start work on the script for the biopic:

Michaela DePrince insta:
“Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.” - Maya Angelou. This is the beginning of a beautiful journey. @thecamillard @madonna ❤️ #michaeladeprince
Camilla Blackett insta:
And so we begin...

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 25th March 2018, 12:02 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Madonna met with Michaela DePrince and scriptwriter Camilla Blackett a couple of days ago to start work on the script for the biopic:

Michaela DePrince insta:
“Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.” - Maya Angelou. This is the beginning of a beautiful journey. @thecamillard @madonna ❤️ #michaeladeprince
Camilla Blackett insta:
And so we begin...

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:41 PM