BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Calum's EOY ▬ 2018, counting down the top 30 songs of the year now!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Calum
post Feb 10 2019, 03:16 PM
Post #41
nabad
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 18,316

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Feb 10 2019, 12:03 AM) *
EVERY SONG IS GOOD *.*

Thanks Joseph heart.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Calum
post Feb 10 2019, 03:38 PM
Post #42
nabad

11 Shawn Mendes - Fallin’ All In You
12 Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey - The Middle
13 Clean Bandit - Solo (feat. Demi Lovato)
14 Ariana Grande - no tears left to cry
15 James Bay - Wild Love
16 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood
17 Shawn Mendes - Youth (feat. Khalid)
18 Jonas Blue - Rise (feat. Jack & Jack)
19 5 Seconds of Summer - Want You Back
20 Years & Years - All For You

At #20 is the third single from Years & Years' second studio album Palo Santo, All For You. This was by far and away my favourite song from the album when listening through, and it probably still is. There's a lot to enjoy on the album (even if it's no Communion), but this sticks out like a sore thumb as a would-be smash. It's one of the very few I actually go back to also, alongside If You're Over Me and a couple of other decent album tracks.

Just ahead of Years & Years are 5 Seconds of Summer with Want You Back, the lead single from their third album Youngblood. It's not the only song of theirs in this section though. The title track and second single Youngblood is up there at #16. Both songs are incredible. They convey the new sound that the band were going for with the album, while at the same time still sounding absolutely and 'classically' 5SOS. I wouldn't say both are a perfect representation of what's on offer throughout the rest of the album, but they're brilliant tracks nonetheless.

There's another double helping of Shawn Mendes this time too, with Youth, featuring Khalid, finishing at #17, and Fallin' All In You, an album track from his self-titled third album, up at #11. Both songs are incredible. Youth shines with its incredibly emotional message scattered throughout the lyrics, and Fallin' All In You is such a beauty further down on the track-list. It's one of my favourite non-singles, and I can't wait to hear both live (if the latter is performed) on his tour in April!

Wrapping up this section, we have songs from Jonas Blue featuring Jack & Jack, Ariana Grande, James Bay, Clean Bandit featuring Demi Lovato, and Zedd! Rise is one of those songs that just makes you feel amazing and want to get up and have the time of your life! It's the song that made me sit up and take notice of Jack & Jack, having been aware of them for some time but never listened to anything they'd done together. no tears left to cry, the lead single from Ariana's 2018 album Sweetener was and still is stunning. Speaking of stunning, I remember my first listen of Wild Love while I was at work checking out New Music Friday. I listened and thought it was pretty basic, but then I kept listening throughout the day and it's become, probably, my favourite song by James Bay. Solo is one of those songs that I played constantly in the car, jamming along to its pretty fantastic chorus, and The Middle I'd consider one of Zedd's best tracks to date with stunning vocals in there from Maren Morris.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 11 2019, 07:09 AM
Post #43
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Oh hi! x

I actually like everything so far!! Wild Love is probably my least fave here. A LOT of amazing songs:

11 Shawn Mendes - Fallin’ All In You Such a cute moment on the album
12 Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey - The Middle Adore this, definitely one of Zedd's finest moments for me - it seemed to have had a weirdly divisive response on BuzzJack though!
14 Ariana Grande - no tears left to cry wub.gif
15 James Bay - Wild Love
16 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood Their very best imo *.*
17 Shawn Mendes - Youth (feat. Khalid) The hit potential was there with this one, a shame it didn't get a proper push
21 Kylie Minogue - Dancing heart.gif Honestly one of my favourite singles of her career! ohmy.gif
22 Rita Ora - Girls (feat. Charli XCX, Cardi B & Bebe Rexha)
23 Troye Sivan - Postcard (feat. Gordi) This didn't stand out to me during my first listens of Bloom, but gradually it presented itself to me as a beautiful moment on the album! Looking forward to the tour
24 Kylie Minogue - A Lifetime to Repair
25 Shawn Mendes - Nervous Bop! Like with Nervous, I can't believe his label floundered with this one, it should have been an easy hit...
26 Camila Cabello - Consequences
27 The Vamps - Personal (feat. Maggie Lindemann)
28 Kylie Minogue - Lost Without You wub.gif wub.gif What. a. song! A real shame it was only a deluxe bonus track, because this really was single worthy. I'm glad it had its moment in the sun with an incredibly memorable performance on tour though!
29 The Vamps - Hair Too Long
30 Why Don’t We - 8 Letters By far their best song imo!

Looking forward to the Top 10!

A fantastic selection of albums in too, my favourites are Shawn Mendes, Golden, Bloom, Phoenix and Sweetener biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Calum
post Feb 17 2019, 06:09 PM
Post #44
nabad

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Feb 11 2019, 07:09 AM) *
Oh hi! x

I actually like everything so far!! Wild Love is probably my least fave here. A LOT of amazing songs:

11 Shawn Mendes - Fallin’ All In You Such a cute moment on the album
12 Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey - The Middle Adore this, definitely one of Zedd's finest moments for me - it seemed to have had a weirdly divisive response on BuzzJack though!
14 Ariana Grande - no tears left to cry wub.gif
15 James Bay - Wild Love
16 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood Their very best imo *.*
17 Shawn Mendes - Youth (feat. Khalid) The hit potential was there with this one, a shame it didn't get a proper push
21 Kylie Minogue - Dancing heart.gif Honestly one of my favourite singles of her career! ohmy.gif
22 Rita Ora - Girls (feat. Charli XCX, Cardi B & Bebe Rexha)
23 Troye Sivan - Postcard (feat. Gordi) This didn't stand out to me during my first listens of Bloom, but gradually it presented itself to me as a beautiful moment on the album! Looking forward to the tour
24 Kylie Minogue - A Lifetime to Repair
25 Shawn Mendes - Nervous Bop! Like with Nervous, I can't believe his label floundered with this one, it should have been an easy hit...
26 Camila Cabello - Consequences
27 The Vamps - Personal (feat. Maggie Lindemann)
28 Kylie Minogue - Lost Without You wub.gif wub.gif What. a. song! A real shame it was only a deluxe bonus track, because this really was single worthy. I'm glad it had its moment in the sun with an incredibly memorable performance on tour though!
29 The Vamps - Hair Too Long
30 Why Don’t We - 8 Letters By far their best song imo!

Looking forward to the Top 10!

A fantastic selection of albums in too, my favourites are Shawn Mendes, Golden, Bloom, Phoenix and Sweetener biggrin.gif

oh Hey Jay heart.gif x

The Middle definitely is one of the best things (if not the) Zedd's done, don't see how it had such a polarising response! laugh.gif Youth was definitely wasted potential. sad.gif I guess they gave it a go by releasing the video, but they'd probably already used up all the hype for it with it being out there before the album's release.

Lost Without You, agreed, was 100% the most memorable moment of the tour. wub.gif Such beautiful production and her vocals were on point.

Thanks for commenting! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Calum
post Feb 17 2019, 06:29 PM
Post #45
nabad

06 Kylie Minogue - Stop Me From Falling
07 Anne-Marie - 2002
08 Ariana Grande - God is a woman
09 5 Seconds of Summer - Lie to Me
10 Troye Sivan - Seventeen

Into the top 10 now, and kicking us off is the first track from Troye Sivan's second album Bloom - Seventeen. Although there's SO much to enjoy on the album what with it being full of incredible songs, this is still the one that stands out to me the most. Talking about looking for love at a young age, the song has a very deep meaning and a killer chorus. It's the one song that I go back to more-so than any of the others from the album, listening out-with it, and often on repeat for a while. At #9 is Lie to Me by 5 Seconds of Summer, a now-single from Youngblood, however long before it got the single treatment it was 100% my favourite song from their third studio album. It's such a cute, yet at the same time heartbreaking, song and you can't help but fall in love with the vocals on this. It really does trump the likes of Want You Back and Youngblood for me.

Completing this set, we have three incredible female artists. God is a woman is at #8, the second single to come from Sweetener. This really is such an incredible song and one that I couldn't help but play on repeat for a long time when it was released. Her live performances of the song have also been second to none; in terms of both production and vocals. The message of empowerment in this song is probably one of the best things about it too. 2002 by Anne-Marie is just ahead, and while it's probably quite divisive seeing as Anne-Marie has never been flavour of the month, there's no denying that this is an absolute BOP! With a chorus that you can't help but sing along to, and have the words stuck in your head for hours after, this really was one of the songs of 2018. I hadn't really paid too much attention to her before this (obviously I'd heard most singles, but none had really made me stan), and I haven't since because Perfect to Me and her duet with James Arthur on their shambolic cover of Rewrite the Stars have sent her plummeting to the lowest of lows.

Finally, Stop Me From Falling, the second single from Kylie Minogue's fourteenth studio album Golden, makes an appearance here. Just missing out on the top 5 is my favourite song from the album. It's really such a feel good song, while at the same time having a bit of a deeper meaning than on the surface. The only disappointing thing about the song for me is that I don't feel it got the right treatment on the tour, considering how much of a moment it could have been. Can't win them all though, and the studio version will always be incredible, classically fresh Kylie.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Feb 18 2019, 10:17 PM
Post #46
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

2002 the underrated anthem *.*

+Quote Post
Calum
post Feb 18 2019, 10:33 PM
Post #47
nabad

03 Selena Gomez - Back to You
04 Rita Ora - Let You Love Me
05 Ariana Grande - breathin

Leaving the top 2 songs of 2018 a mystery for just a tiny bit longer, we head into the top 5 now, and all three songs by female solo artists! At #5 is breathin by Ariana Grande, taken from Sweetener. This was immediately my favourite song from the album when I first listened, and still is now. It's Ariana at her best, I think, and such a great song to move along to~ It also managed a week at the top of my chart when we first got to hear it, and managed to stick around for some time after. If only the first half of the album (no tears left to cry and God is a woman aside) were as great and appealing as this proved to be!

At #4 we've got the 93rd single from Rita Ora's second studio album, Let You Love Me; quite possibly my favourite Rita single (sorry Anywhere x). It's got that powerful chorus (even more-so in its final one), and it's a song you can just get to know all of the words to and sing it badly at the top of the lungs whenever, wherever. This was also a chart-topper for me, and certainly, like breathin, managed to stay around for a while after dropping down the rankings. I still have so much love for this though, and it's a shining example of Phoenix being absolutely worth the wait we endured.

Just ahead of Rita at #3 is Selena Gomez with her single taken from the soundtrack for the second season of Netflix series 13 Reasons Why, Back to You. This was (obviously) one of THE songs of 2018. It's one of those ones I'd put on repeat in the car for any journey, turn the volume all the way up and just listen and smile, or sing along and just love life. When it was finally used in 13 Reasons Why, I had shivers. It's such a great song, and by far one of Selena's finest moments; although she does have a lot. My chart wasn't around when this was at its peak, but if it had been this would definitely have been, at the very least, a contender for the #1 spot, maybe even for several weeks. We'll just have to hope she comes back with something even better for the show's third season (it'll be difficult to top this!).

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Feb 18 2019, 11:07 PM
Post #48

Let You Love Me was such a triumph for Rita heart.gif three superb pop songs there!!

+Quote Post
Calum
post Feb 19 2019, 12:04 AM
Post #49
nabad

01 Shawn Mendes - In My Blood
02 Demi Lovato - Sober

In any other year, this could well have been a top 2 solely comprising Shawn songs. However, 2018 was... a bit of a different year for me, personally. At #1 and #2 we have Shawn Mendes with the lead single In My Blood from his self-titled third album, and Demi Lovato with her incredibly emotional single Sober; detailing a recent relapse after being 'clean' for six years. I do still think that these two songs would have ended up very high on the list under different circumstances (particularly In My Blood), however the level of relatability, understanding and emotion that these songs gave me in 2018 were beyond inspiring, helping me in some of the darkest moments of my life.

What's so incredible about In My Blood is that it's not just about the song sounding fantastic, or Shawn's voice being as incredible as it is. With this, he managed to create lyrics that will, I'm sure, resonate with a huge amount of people. By opening up about his own vulnerabilities, insecurities and mental health, it gave so many other people the opportunity to let their voice be heard and try, somehow, to open up, let people in, and carry on through the dark and into the light. The lyrics of In My Blood are one of the things that kept me going throughout the majority of the year where my mental health was incredibly unstable, but through listening to the song, really absorbing the lyrics and taking them on to find my own light at the end of the tunnel, I looked for ways to help myself feel better, stronger and able to keep going; not giving up because it isn't in my blood.

While Demi was largely out of the public eye for the latter half of 2018, she certainly made an impact beforehand. Having managed to catch her on tour before she had to cancel later dates due to vocal issues, I was seriously impressed with the show and how she managed to push through and keep going to the end; how strong she was singing songs so close to her heart and sharing them with an arena full of people. Sober is full of so much raw emotion, telling your story so bluntly for people to hear and not holding anything back. Such a truthful three minutes that I go back to so often to remind myself that, at the end of the day, it's okay not to be okay. Demi's honesty and vulnerability was exposed, and it was even more heartbreaking hearing the events of her relapse unfold and I'm glad that she has, yet again, managed to begin her road to recovery, self-caring, self-loving and finding the strength within herself to fight the good fight.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Feb 19 2019, 12:09 AM
Post #50

Beautifully written commentary Calum and a gorgeous top 2 songs heart.gif

+Quote Post
Riser
post Feb 19 2019, 05:33 AM
Post #51
The horrors persist, but so do I
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

That is such a strong top 5, especially your #1! In My Blood is a masterpiece wub.gif And it never got old either, still sounds as great today as it did on day one (if not better!)

Massive love for breathin too! I hope over time it isn't overshadowed by the likes of no tears left to cry, God is a woman and thank u, next, because it is too gorgeous to be forgotten wub.gif

+Quote Post
Calum
post Feb 20 2019, 04:37 PM
Post #52
nabad

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Feb 19 2019, 12:09 AM) *
Beautifully written commentary Calum and a gorgeous top 2 songs heart.gif

Thanks Joseph heart.gif

QUOTE(Riser @ Feb 19 2019, 05:33 AM) *
That is such a strong top 5, especially your #1! In My Blood is a masterpiece wub.gif And it never got old either, still sounds as great today as it did on day one (if not better!)

Massive love for breathin too! I hope over time it isn't overshadowed by the likes of no tears left to cry, God is a woman and thank u, next, because it is too gorgeous to be forgotten wub.gif

Thanks Jordan! wub.gif Completely agree, In My Blood still sounds so fresh, always hits so hard too.

Agreed about breathin, it really is one of her best and although the others you mentioned are brilliant, I certainly hope breathin doesn't end up living in the shadows. sad.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:48 AM