BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jupiter's Top 60 Minaj Songs, there will be shadiness
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Oct 2 2017, 02:28 PM
Post #1
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Not to steal Josh's thunder, but I felt like doing one too, and my list would be quite different too so will at least be some variety tongue.gif

60 was a good arbitrary number to go for and covers again a wide variety of Minaj solos and features.

I'll kick it off in this post because why not! These will be counting down in reverse order from #60 up to #1 in 20 or so posts' time.

Up first, one of Minaj's most recent releases, from this year, Run Up with the awkwardly-named PARTYNEXTDOOR and Major Lazer. This really squeaks in at the bottom of the pile as a song I never particularly rated; Nicki does improve the overall tune as she does with most of her guest spots, but the chorus is weak and the production's missing that Major Lazer earworminess and edge that characterises so many of the outfit's better songs. The only songs lower than this are album tracks with only a handful of plays, and Va Va Voom.

Up next is one I didn't expect to make it in in any form, as unlike some Minaj (and pop) fans I have always hated Bang Bang on an almost visceral level as a shoddy attempt to recapture Lady Marmalade, with much lower-rent names with the exception of Nicki, an awkward video with teen-looking Ariana and Jessie J looking like an unfashionable schoolteacher, and a chorus that sounds more like an 80s game show theme tune than a 2010s pop smash. But that's just my opinion. This remix, which I've heard out at a few clubs, does go some way to rescue the song though, inasmuch as that's possible. Ari will be popping back later a bit further up.

One of Minaj's bona fide biggest hits comes up next. Pound the Alarm is a little hurt by my tracking period being only from 2013 or so on, around the time of its release, I did enjoy this one (and Starships) more. It's not really one I revisit nowadays so often though, the drop is a bit uninspired and even a bit dated, and Minaj has had much better dance tracks since.

First album track up next and I'm honestly unsure how this one has come in, probably just by virtue of my many plays of the whole of The Pinkprint on repeat or as a whole piece. I really don't have a lot to say about Four Door Aventador, it's a very average Minaj song with not so much Minaj on it and a very average to poor chorus hook. This definitely benefits from me not actually having listened to that many individual Minaj songs and will definitely not be in the top 60 after her next album's come out. (Crazy she only has 3 so far!)

#56 and we're at what I would call the first good track of the bunch, I'm Legit, which features Ciara. It's actually a track I feel like I should go back to more; strong flow from Minaj and a nice hook, definitely a pump-up/predrinks/party song. It lifts from second album Roman Reloaded: The Re-Up and was originally tipped to be a single, but ultimately passed over in favour of the Lil Wayne-featuring High School.

Next section coming soon!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Oct 3 2017, 11:25 AM
Post #2
c:
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,692

Oooooh yaaaay, VERY excited to follow this Jupiter! cheer.gif

I agree most with your commentary on Four Door Aventador. It's always been my least favourite track on The Pinkprint (alongside Trini Dem Girls heehee.gif). It's just so dull and stands out like a sore thumb in a discography as exciting as Nicki's.

That scathing commentary in Bang Bang though drama.gif We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, it's a complete banger and if I'm completely honest then I'd have to say that Bang Bang > Lady Marmalade for me.

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Oct 3 2017, 07:18 PM
Post #3
on a bench in coney island
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

Will be good to see how this compares to Josh's!

I absolutely adore 'Run Up', 'Bang Bang' less so though...haha. I've always loved 'I'm Legit' and think it's really underrated.
Looking back though, I think making 'High School' the single was a good choice, that's one of my all-time Nicki favourites now.

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Oct 4 2017, 09:13 AM
Post #4
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks for your thoughts so far folks! Glad the shade is appreciated - there will be more tongue.gif

Another big hitter hit takes #55, Where Them Girls At was one of Minaj's first ventures into out and out dance and... is still quite fun. Nicki's flow is poppy and quite rapid-fire, similar to the style she used a lot around Super Bass and the later half of her first album era as she transitioned away from the pure rap that originally made her name. Flo Rida is typical of the time, bland, but inoffensive (the odious Whistle hadn't yet been conceived of), and Guetta is pretty solid for the time too. Definitely better than Pound the Alarm.

And to another early Minaj track. Fly I remember best for its high budget video and as one of the few slow songs on Pink Friday. It's also personally memorable to me as a song some of my heavily Christian high school friends stanned, despite it being rap, which always struck me as a bit incongruous with the rest of their beliefs. It's aged okay but does sound a bit basic now and Rihanna's voice in particular has matured so much since this came out in 2010. Also it's hard to imagine 2017's classy Nicki ever wearing some of those uh...adventurous... styles and looks again.

And here's the other big slow feature song from Pink Friday. Last Chance has always struck me as one of the best things Natasha Bedingfield's ever done (to be fair, it's not against much stiff competition there tho), and had we been doing this in 2011 or 12, this would probably be top ten as it was one of the ones I played a lot from the album at the time. It's not one I've revisited so much since those years, but its a sweet tune still that holds up pretty well, thanks to its guitar-led rather than dated synth-led instrumentation.

From old to new as Black Barbies comes in just before the top 50. Barbies warred with Rae Sremmurd's original Black Beatles for which I preferred around the end of 2016, but ultimately Beatles came out on top and charted for a few weeks. Barbies does have the honour of being Minaj's first charting appearance for me since I started weekly personals around Aug-Sept in 2016, a low peaker compared to the string of top 10s she's had so far in 2017, being my current joint leading artist of top 10s alongside Lana Del Rey. (yes, I have varied music taste)

Finally for this section, another feature - it was refreshing ordering these up including features, as Lastfm which I use to track most of my music does not include features in an artist's tally of tracks. Just skiting the top 50 I'm again surprised how high this has made as I'm at best neutral to Ms Rexha. Nicki definitely elevates this song and the video...broadly does as well, although I've always been a bit uncomfortable with the Miley Cyrus bb talk-esque vibes. This isn't a wonderful song but it was catchy and inoffensive enough when released, although it's another I really don't find myself coming back to these days.

Into top 50 next, kicking off with a Pinkprint cut! And yes, there will be some notable omissions compared to Josh's list, but we're all fans here, right? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Oct 4 2017, 05:34 PM
Post #5
c:

Black Barbies was a personal chart #1 for me! I was hooked on it for a couple of weeks but I very rarely go back to it nowadays. I love it when she does these sorts of remixes like this and Boss Ass Bitch for example, I always seem to be prefer her versions (Black Beatles is still a MASSIVE tune though music.gif) wub.gif

No Broken Hearts & Where Them Girls At aren't particular favourites of mine though so I'm glad to see them pretty low down. The former is a bit too noisy for me and the latter is a track I adored at the time but I find it pretty annoying now, it definitely feels a bit dated already and ended up being eclipsed by every other Nicki X Guetta collaboration that was yet to come at the time.

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Oct 5 2017, 08:59 AM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah honestly I was surprised to see No Broken Hearts making it in at all. It definitely benefits from the overall play numbers this end being sub 20 tongue.gif

Next up, back into the Pinkprint!

Quick note, overall we have by album (ish, not 100% sure on my adding up...) 7 from Pink Friday, 11 from Roman Reloaded/The Re-Up, 11 from The Pinkprint, 3 non-album, and the rest feature appearances...yes, nearly half!

A Jeremih feature but otherwise not a lot to make this one particularly memorable. Okay, even that isn't particularly memorable. This is another one I haven't gone back to so often, at the time it was a good soundshift for Nicki back into hip-hop and R&B, and a good backdrop for the album, but doesn't stand so well on its own two feet. In that light, an ironic title.

YUNG MUNNI. In one of their few actual credited appearances here. This was one of the few new tracks Nicki put out after a long drought and was in my book a LOT better than Lookin Ass that came out at around the same time. It's also, you might've guessed it by now, not one I've gone back to so often since 2014. It's only in researching it for this that I've discovered it wasn't actually a single in its own right, just a promo. Not a bad beat, revisiting it for this, but probably placed in the right spot on this countdown at #49.

And now we have another bigger Minaj tune, early solo single Right Thru Me which features many early Minaj hallmarks: actual singing with quite a sweet, restrained vocal with some autotune reverb, a more realistic and less self-indulgent video than her later work became known for, and also more down-to-earth themes than her later work. She also does a lot on the track herself, both rapping and singing; this early work now feels a bit "look what I can do" or as if she's interviewing and showing all her skills. The song's still not so bad, production now a bit dated perhaps as we've moved away from both a lot of those sounds and style of music in that genre. Still, it hits the sound of 2010 really well and stands strong as a throwback.

Over to Roman Reloaded for the second of Minaj's dance bloc, which in 2017 feels almost unreal that she actually featured a string of multiple tracks with this sound on one of her solo albums. Of the five tracks, four will be making an appearance, which leaves us two to go and one omission compared to Josh's list. Any guesses which it will be? Even in 2012 this one had a manic sound to it, and is definitely a pre-drinks song or the kind of thing you want to hear at the club when its half 1am and you're flagging. Not that I've ever found myself in that position now... It's aged fairly well, although I can't imagine 2017 Nicki releasing or even performing it.

And over to a 2017 song now, with 2000s surprise success story Fergie, who's had a fairly quiet in between period between sporadic Black Eyed Peas appearances, solo and feature work, becoming a mother, and being (briefly) a viral video sensation. Fergie's tried to recapture the latter by dropping a Beyonce-esque visual album with little fanfare, and... well, it's been a mixed strategy. Sometimes things Beyonce does work not because they're inherently the best ideas, but because being Beyonce helps. That said, I do like this one, even if it does slip into Right Thru Me-esque self-advertising (I can sing, I can dance, I can rap, I'm still relevant!) territory. Sorry Ferg. Nicki sounds fab as usual, and who knew she could rock a white trouser suit so convincingly? Definitely one for the Looks thread.

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Oct 5 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #7
c:

Interesting to see the breakdown of inclusions from each album! Would you say The Pinkprint is your favourite album of hers? Pink Friday is my favourite album of all time but The Pinkprint would be right up there too for me, aside from a couple of duds, she massively delivered with that album wub.gif

I was thinking of including Senile in my own countdown actually but decided against it as it's not a track I revisit very often. I really was not a fan of Lookin Ass which just felt like shocking the audience with a load of expletives for no reason so I latched on to Senile at the same time to get my Nicki fix.

You Already Know is pretty bad though in my opinion, I've given it numerous chances to grow but it just doesn't seem to be happening. Nicki's verse is nice but not enough to save the song and Fergie just really annoys me in it too. I'm not the biggest fan of the video either but I agree that Nicki is serving a LOOK *-*

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Oct 7 2017, 08:23 AM
Post #8
   No Gallery Pics

One more bunch now before we get into top 40. Yes, I would say Pinkprint is my fave Nicki album, more rap and less everything else, and more modern sounds too, right up my street really. Hoping she brings more of the same for Minaj4.

The Boys! A single that always seemed to have a huge amount of fanfare around it and effort to make it a 'thing', but it just wasn't quite connecting. It's one of the least best remembered parts of Nicki's discography I feel which makes the high-budget, high-concept video even more incongruous. That said, I liked it decently at the time, it was good to see Cassie, an artist I still stan to a degree, back after a long break with a high-profile collab. Similar enough to You Already Know, our previous entry, I'm a sucker for complex song structures and this one with its stop-start structure and several levels of pre-chorus and chorus hook still sounds, if not fresh in 2017, adventurous.

Nicki's most recent offering greets us at #44, one of three solos she's released so far this year and the first of two that will be making the list. This has picked up a fair few curiosity plays to make it up so high, although I do like it probably more than most of what's below it, with the notable exceptions of Black Barbies and I'm Legit, which I'm feeling now is one I've been sleeping on for a few years. Regret In Your Tears never quite made it in to my personals this year, coming up against stiff competition in a very busy release period earlier this year, but nevertheless has picked up consistent enough trickle plays. It's kind of low quality compared to what I know Nicki's capable of, tho.

And now for one that made it all the way up to Josh's top ten. Even with the extra plays this has picked up by me rediscovering it this year, this only makes it up to #43, although it might find its way back into the top 40 at some point. This was what feels like Minaj and Guetta's first proper collaboration, following Nick's earlier turn on Where Them Girls At that really felt like a guest appearance. All of Nicki's future turns on Guetta songs have her doing a lot more, and this was the start of that. A big song at the time of its release, it was a solid follow-up to Guetta's smash hit Titanium which saw the relaunch of Sia as an A-Lister ten years into her career. It's aged fairly well soundwise, and the video's got Halloween replay value - perfect for this time of year.

Back to the Re-Up for this next one which sees Nicki firing back a comeback song of sorts at 2 Chainz - which nobody at the time really seemed to notice for what it was. I mean...I was pretty sure it was a response to I Love Them Strippers with its similar theme, beat, Minaj being on the track, basically being released within a month of it... anyway, it is what it is. Nicki sounds great on the lowkey, minimalist Juicy J (!) beat, and the themes are not too bad either, Nicki basically taking ownership and talking herself up with a pretty fire verse. It's one I go back to still, hip-hop Nicki is best Nicki.

And we close this section at #41 with another recent Nicki outing, this time alongside Calvin Harris on the tropical and sunny Skrt On Me, which for whatever reason was passed over as a single (so far, anyway). The track became Nicki's fifth and Calvin's third running top ten for me this year, peaking at #7. The tune immediately stuck out to me from Calvin's album as a highlight among a lot of samey songs and whatever that Katy Perry fishing song was. Get it together, Katy.

This post has been edited by FreddyVsJupiter: Oct 7 2017, 08:25 AM

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Oct 7 2017, 08:50 PM
Post #9
c:

Regret in Your Tears is rather lovely but I agree with you that it's not really a standout track in her discography. It was my immediate favourite from the three singles earlier in the year but the fierceness and scathing lyrics of No Frauds grew on me massively so I'd rank that higher now (hopefully that is the one still to come for you too and not Changed It which is pretty rubbish... laugh.gif)

Skrt On Me is brilliant too and very deserving of the single treatment as you have said so I'm a bit gutted that hasn't happened yet/probably won't happen at all sad.gif I'm not sure it would smash anyway and it's much more suited to Summer too so I guess it works as a hidden gem on the album but I'd have loved to have seen a video tbh sad.gif

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Oct 10 2017, 08:26 AM
Post #10
   No Gallery Pics

No spoilers as to what's coming up still tongue.gif but you are free to guess and have hopes wink.gif

Roman Reloaded kicks us off for this next section with the third helping of Dance Nicki.

Whip It is probably my favourite of Nicki's dance section on Roman Reloaded and if this was including my 2012 plays would definitely be both higher than the ultimate top dance song, and probably a lot higher altogether than #40. A real song of the summer and autumn 2012, Whip It is an energetic and fun song with a drop that still lands quite solidly today, especially compared to its cohorts with similar production. The track doesn't take itself too seriously and is one Nicki still performs on tour, a fan fave perhaps? As I say this is harmed by my tracking period only being 2013 on, similar to a lot of the older songs that haven't landed a second wind or continuous trickle plays over the years.

A classic at #39 that falls a little victim to the pre-2012 curse too. Nicki's iconic Monster verse had a second pop culture lease of life recently when it was covered by of all people, Adele. I have to say I kinda prefer her version these days. This was one of the first examples of something that's become a Nicki signature, coming on to an otherwise unremarkable or passable track or beat and elevating it to a next level thanks to some alter egos, wordplay, or just by being Nicki Minaj. As you do. Monster's not one I go back to all so much so this place feels about right for it.

At #38 another classic that Nicki still performs on tour, although it was less successful chartswise, coming out at a time when Nicki was more a rising star than the gold stamp feature she is nowadays. It's a song that's only been growing more and more on me this year and is set to keep rising, sounding great alongside a lot of the reggaeton and Latin inspired sounds in the charts these days. Some of you may have heard me dropping it in plug recently too biggrin.gif

And a bona fide Nicki classic at #37 that many of the pop fans on this forum might be surprised to see this low. It's a little lower than I expected it to be when I started writing up the longlist for this countdown, but I didn't really expect it to be much beyond low top 20 high top 30; working against it are the fact that it's pop Nicki, the fact its a very fun and light song, which isn't really what I go to Nicki for these days, the fact it had its peak pre-2013, and the fact I've never quite been able to make sense of that drop. The track was rightfully a huge chart hit for Nicki back when it was released in 2012, but suffered with a long-delayed video that perhaps prevented it from being quite the biggest success it could have been. I don't ever really see this one moving outside the 30s for me tho unless I u-turn hard on it.

And finishing this section is...more pop Nicki. This one actually grew on me a little this year, although I think it's easily Nicki's weakest lead single and probably a horrendous choice to even release as a single at all, considering it features almost nothing she's known for. I guess I almost like this in a so bad its good way; the title and imagery of the song is strange and outdated-sounding (potions? really? it's not Halloween Nick), the tempo is slow, subject matter is depressing but also a bit after-school special, missing Nicki's usual self-awareness and charm, and its a Dr Luke production released just at the time the Luke/Kesha controversy was reaching critical mass. Nice. But honestly, despite all that, I don't quite find myself disliking it and it's one that I wouldn't skip if it came on, and actually would seek out to listen to sometimes. Shadiness aside, I'm actually pretty content with this at #36.

This post has been edited by FreddyVsJupiter: Oct 10 2017, 09:43 PM

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Oct 10 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #11
c:

I always used to love the original/solo version of Hold Yuh the most actually but have really got into the Nicki one in recent years and would say that's my first version now. It has such a chill/relaxed vibe, might have been a bit of an oversight to not include that in my own countdown actually sad.gif

Monster is OK but the only amazing part is Nicki's verse really, the rest of the song is far too long to say I enjoy the whole thing with the rest of the verses, I usually just skip straight to Nicki's and turn it off afterwards laugh.gif

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Oct 17 2017, 12:23 PM
Post #12
   No Gallery Pics

Starting up the next section with one of the first tracks that's a lot higher for me than in Josh's countdown. Did It On Em has Minaj at her sassiest and, I would even say, at some of her meanest as she puts haters and those who mistakenly think they can compete with her in their place. Also, it's such a fun track. It's also rap, which is what I go to Nicki for.

Another slice of early Nicki with Your Love. Realising that the main instrumental hook of the song isn't an original but rather an Annie Lennox sample has dimmed my enjoyment of the song a little in recent years as I can't help but compare it with the original song, but it still picks up a replay here and there. Looking back, this one was probably one of the first clues that Nicki had the ability to crossover into pop if required. Still looks stunning in the video, too.

Back to rap Nicki! I still quite like this one, another putting haters in their place anthem, even if Nicki manages to look some of her worst in nearly every scene of the video, the song is not bad. She's capable of better, of course, but this was just one on the road to get there and is a good track to show her holding her own on the track...on her own, mostly, anyway. Those green wigs though...

Well, this is embarrassing. I feel like I gave this a few curiosity plays when it first came out and when the video was released and really tried to get into it, pairing two of my favourite artists together, but it just... didn't take. This is one of three or four collabs Madge has done with Nicki and unfortunately most of them really aren't up to much. I feel like at the time this briefly circled into so bad it's good territory for me, but for now it's definitely firmly back in the bad camp. Also somehow this has near 250 million views. Eesh.

And... I'm torn on this one too. I like the song. I liked the song a lot in the past, it was a softer side to Nicki but still R&B, and a well-produced and put together track that slots into a lot of kinds of playlists well. But... it still features Chris Brown, and post Rihanna-gate I am really, really not on board with Chris Brown, especially after that police report of the incident leaked. So, this isn't one I tend to revisit. Here's hoping his career sinks for good soon.

30 down, 30 to go! Halfway there now wink.gif Two recents and one big hitter in the next batch, any guesses what those could be?

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Oct 17 2017, 06:21 PM
Post #13
c:

Bitch I'm Madonna just narrowly missed my countdown! I actually really like it and find it pretty catchy and is probably one of my favourite Madonna tracks from the last decade or so ohmy.gif

I love Right By My Side too. I obviously don't condone Chris Brown as a person but the song is really rather lovely and the sort of track I'd love her to do more of wub.gif

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Nov 3 2017, 09:56 AM
Post #14
   No Gallery Pics

And we're back! It's been a minute since I did one of these tongue.gif but as a mod now I definitely need to keep going. This will keep y'all going now the singles rate is over tongue.gif

One of Nicki's most recent offerings opens up the top 30. I was a huge fan of this when it first released and it hit top 10 in my personal charts just based on the audio, and I thought that would be the end of it... and then it started blowing up in the US and got a video, and gained a second lease of life with me. Nicki delivers a great rap that absolutely elevates the song, even though the 'my name ain't Nicole' jab doesn't quite connect. (Was it a very late slam at Nicole Scherzinger? Just what was she going for...?) Unfortunately Yo Gotti's verses and hook are of much lower quality, but really it's Nicki and producer Mike WiLL that carry this one.

And next up at my #29 comes the overall winner of the Nicki singles rate. Super Bass is solid, but it is the kind of pop tune Nicki has moved beyond a bit... even if she'll still be obliged to play it at every concert she gives until she gets a bigger hit to have as her signature song. My biggest memory of this song is falling out with my then-partner over whether it was good or not...in 2010 I was firmly of the opinion that it was the best thing since sliced bread. As I say, it's still a good one, but not one I've returned to so much over the years as my taste has tended towards more adult and darker stuff.

Now this one I actually do still like. No doubt some fans will be as outraged to see this above Super Bass as I was to see Pound the Alarm top 3 in the Nicki singles rate! I kinda rediscovered Bionic late when I first got spotify back in 2012 or 13 and actually, a few of the tunes on it sounded a lot better in the soundscape of those years. If she'd dropped this when Nicki was just that bit more established, I still think this could've been a decent hit for Nicki and Christina, more like the impact the Girl on Fire remix was for Alicia Keys than the #79 it actually peaked at in the US in 2010.

Rap Nicki! Another one I (re)discovered comparatively late. It's got a good beat and Nicki is brash and confident with what she's saying. The Wayne feature works well too and the beat is a bit reminiscent of something MIA would have put out around this time.

And embarrassingly enough. This comes in at #26, beating Super Bass and everything below it. It's a lot of curiosity plays that have helped to boost this one up so high, and honestly...it is a bit so-bad-it's-good now. The video is cute and Nicki has the best line, "get it together, Katy". Katy Perry's last era has been an absolute hot mess (hilariously predicted years in advance by hit comedy webseries The Nekci Menij show, starring Nicki and her singer friends and frenemies), but the singles have all at least been, for better or worse, memorable, and fairly listenable. Gotta love how even the video directors were aware Nicki was going to be the shining light in this song and deserved her own segment, and she does sound great on the beat.

Top 25 next!

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Nov 3 2017, 10:18 AM
Post #15
c:

Yay at Rake It Up making it so high after a relatively short time. I still can't get enough of it and it's still in my personal chart top 10 as of this week two, it's one of those ultimate party bangers that never gets old wub.gif

I agree with the "so-bad-it's-good" comment on Swish Swish too, it had loads of curiosity plays for me and ended up being one of my most played tracks of the year despite thinking it's not all that great. Nicki's verse is fantastic but the chorus/Katy's parts are rather cringe, it sounds AMAZING on a night out though wub.gif

Excited to see the countdown restarting Jupiter!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Nov 28 2017, 11:50 AM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

...And we're back again. Can I get a I don't need no...

Probably the best solo single Nicki released (thus far) in 2017 and a former personal chart topper for me, No Frauds is four minutes of shade directed at a certain Ms Remy Ma, something of a contemporary of Nicki's, only a little bit older (though you'd be forgiven for thinking she was 40 or so...that haircut isn't doing much for you, Remy) whose career was cut short by a spell behind bars. Nicki's joined on the track by Lil Wayne and Drake and throws some zingers in it, though also manages some that don't quite connect (I still don't get the Ellen DeGeneres pun tbh). Catchy beat and a video that skirts the classy/trashy line portraying Nicki as a queen but also shadily featuring Remy's good friend Rah, this was an instant hit for me, ticking most of the boxes of what I want from a Minaj bop.

Probably the second best single of Nicki's 2017, it's another Guetta collab with a great instrumental drop chorus, Nicki singing and rapping, and a guest spot from Lil Wayne because those two are joined at the hip these days, right? A personal chart top 3 for me this year, look out for it in my top 100 countdown of the year as it will definitely be in. The track divided fans and non-fans alike, but for me it's probably the best thing Guetta's released since his song with Zara Larsson and is a direction I'd like to see him doing more of.

Honestly baffled as to how this got so high. It's quite replayable, but a bit Nicki on autopilot. The Night is Still Young is very much 2012 Nicki given a 2014 re-skin, very poppy, almost like a sequel to something she released back then or earlier, there's shades of Beauty and a Beat here to my ears. Probably the highest this will ever get on a Nicki countdown for me unless it really grows on me in years to come. The track was a moderate hit on the charts but never really took off in a big way anywhere, and didn't even reach top 40 on my personals, it's just been a trickle-player.

Remix time! Nicki's just a feature on this one that slows down and chops up Ciara's I'm Out. The original's a pretty cool song but I'm a sucker for a good remix that re-imagines an existing tune. This one was a top 15 on my personals back in, fittingly, 2015, I'd definitely recommend checking out Sweater Beats's originals too.

And finally an album track to close off this section before the top 20, featuring here Jessie Ware, an unusual collaborator at the best of times, having only featured on a handful of songs throughout her career. How the two met and hooked up is anyone's guess, but there's no denying the track works for them both. This is another one that never charted on my personals, but seems to be something of a fan fave, at least on BuzzJack. It's also a rare feature that bring a bit of the feature artist's normal sound to the track instead of letting them do something new or experimental - but as Jessie Ware is solid, that's not a bad thing.

Top 20 next!

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Dec 5 2017, 12:00 PM
Post #17
c:

hi.gif Jupiter!

Yay at The Crying Game making it quite high on the countdown. I think it could well be my favourite ever Nicki album track to date. I love both artist loads and I couldn't believe it when I realised they had collaborated but it just works so well.

I couldn't agree with you more about The Night Is Still Young either. It's an OK track but it just sounds like 2012 Nicki but with less of the spark to me. It was an odd single choice really ahead of some of the urban bangers that are on The Pinkprint (I'd have loved a video for the likes of Truffle Butter, Want Some More, Buy a Heart etc. instead tbh)...

Looking forward to the rest cheer.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:38 AM