BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who does British drama the best?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Which is better for British drama?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
Klaus
post Aug 30 2014, 10:52 AM
Post #1
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

British drama can often be overlooked in favour of the American powerhouses. However, it has recently been shown to be a force internationally with breakthrough hits such as Sherlock and Downton Abbey. BBC and ITV are our two main producers of drama but which one does it better? Here are examples of some of the recent big hits/critics favourites. There are loads more of course but these are just, imo, the big examples:

BBC

Call the Midwife
Doctor Who
Happy Valley
Last Tango in Halifax
Luther
New Tricks
Sherlock
Spooks
The Village

BBC TWO

An Honourable Woman
Line of Duty
Peaky Blinders
The Hour
The Fall

ITV 1

Appropriate Adult
Broadchurch
Doc Martin
Marple
Mr Selfridge
Mrs Biggs
Poirot
Scott & Bailey
Vera

Channel 4

Black Mirror
Dates
The Fear
The Mill
This is England
Top Boy
Utopia

Channel 5 have stayed away from British drama with the exception of recent critically-acclaimed drama, 'Suspects'. We also have a few of the digital channels producing hit dramas including 'Being Human' and 'Misfits'.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
steveh31
post Aug 30 2014, 10:55 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,175
   No Gallery Pics

itv for me for Midsomer Murders, Broadchurch, Poirot etc

wink.gif psst it's just itv now

This post has been edited by steveh31: Aug 30 2014, 10:55 AM

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Aug 30 2014, 10:59 AM
Post #3
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(steveh31 @ Aug 30 2014, 11:55 AM) *
wink.gif psst it's just itv now

I know but I wanted to differentiate it from the other digital channels just in case people may have been confused due it also being the overarching name. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Aug 30 2014, 11:06 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

BBC all the way! Really enjoying In the Club right now and I loved The Syndicate which was also created by Kay Mellor. I like how they're quite short (about 6 episodes long) and focus on a main character each episode and as the series progresses, you see how each character's story connects with another's in some way. Prisoners' Wives had a similar layout too. It's how gritty the shows are and there's clever twists and turns throughout. Even though some events wouldn't happen on your average day, they still look realistic.

This is probably why I enjoy Eastenders and enjoyed the first 5 series of Waterloo Road so much, again just real, gritty, British drama.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Aug 30 2014, 09:37 PM
Post #5
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Black Mirror and Utopia are two of the best British dramas I've seen in a long time, it's sad they don't get more discussion on here sad.gif I really enjoy Channel 4's dramas in general, quite left field and standout, which I guess they can afford to be, not being as commercial as the other two ofc., they get my pick but BBC 1 are a close second, ITV just don't quite hit the mark for me, they've not done a standout drama which makes me remember them as something other than a commercial reality/primetime entertainment overload.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Aug 30 2014, 09:37 PM

+Quote Post
randomfurlong
post Aug 30 2014, 09:42 PM
Post #6
musing
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,969
   No Gallery Pics

voted BBC Two because The Honourable Woman was so wonderful, but BBC in general - Happy Valley was fantastic too. C4 are good for the more esoteric, youthful, stylish stuff though.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Aug 31 2014, 01:35 PM
Post #7
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

I prefer BBC One out of all the channels. Even if you remove Doctor Who, it has housed some of my favourite British dramas over the years. Most recently, I was gripped by Happy Valley, never have I been so tense at a show than I was when I watched Episode 4! I think having no adverts really benefit the pacing of the shows as they can really flow as with the others, mainly ITV, there is often 3 mini-cliffhangers to compensate for the adverts. The only thing that I've watched on ITV recently was Broadchurch and so, while that has become one of my favourite TV shows, I've never really been appealed by any of it's other output and even if I initally have, I feel let down and never stick with the dramas. However, there is a upcoming one that I've seen advertised starring Reece Shearsmith, Alex Kingston and Noel Clarke which seems intriguing! Channel 4 dramas seem grittier but I haven't seen enough of them for me to vote them as the best producers of drama. I loved Black Mirror and I do need to check out Utopia. BBC Two seem to excel in one-off dramas, but again, I haven't seen enough of them to judge. There was one over Christmas starring Olivia Colman and Vanessa Redgrave that I like though and of course An Adventure in Space and Time was great.

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Sep 2 2014, 02:33 PM
Post #8
It's a cruel summer.
Member No.: 20,947

BBC1 for me
I love in the club, the syndicate, happy valley, prisoners wives and so many more of their dramas as well

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Sep 2 2014, 03:39 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I'd really like to watch Happy Valley - I saw it advertised but didn't ever see an episode, and when I checked online for it I couldn't find anything. sad.gif

QUOTE(Rabbit Heart @ Aug 31 2014, 02:35 PM) *
I think having no adverts really benefit the pacing of the shows as they can really flow as with the others, mainly ITV, there is often 3 mini-cliffhangers to compensate for the adverts.

Good point. I always find that I get hyped up for what happens next much more in a drama without adverts than with, even though ones with adverts have cliffhangers like you say.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Sep 19 2014, 10:44 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Aug 30 2014, 12:06 PM) *
BBC all the way! Really enjoying In the Club right now and I loved The Syndicate which was also created by Kay Mellor. I like how they're quite short (about 6 episodes long) and focus on a main character each episode and as the series progresses, you see how each character's story connects with another's in some way. Prisoners' Wives had a similar layout too. It's how gritty the shows are and there's clever twists and turns throughout. Even though some events wouldn't happen on your average day, they still look realistic.

A second series of In The Club has been commissioned. It's not clear how many of the original cast will return but Kay Mellor has indicated she would like as many as possible to be involved. A lot will depend on whether the cast are available for filming.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:19 PM