BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Round 3: Least Favourite Harry Potter Movie, You're a wizard Harry
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ROUND 3
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 41
Guests cannot vote 
*Tim
post 25th July 2015, 05:26 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

Finishing in 7th place is the first installment of the Harry Potter series, The Philosopher's Stone

Summary: Contains spoilers, but y'know you shouldn't even be voting or be proud if you haven't seen them all
Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) is a seemingly ordinary boy, living with his hostile relatives, the Dursleys in Surrey. On his eleventh birthday, Harry learns from a mysterious stranger, Rubeus Hagrid (Robbie Coltrane), that he is actually a wizard, famous in the Wizarding World for surviving an attack by the evil Lord Voldemort when Harry was only a baby. Voldemort killed Harry's parents, but his attack on Harry rebounded, leaving only a lightning-bolt scar on Harry's forehead and rendering Voldemort powerless. Hagrid reveals to Harry that he has been invited to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. After buying his school supplies from the hidden London street, Diagon Alley, Harry boards the train to Hogwarts via the concealed Platform 9¾ in King's Cross Station.

On the train, Harry meets Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint), a boy from a large, but poor, pure-blood wizard family, and Hermione Granger (Emma Watson), a witch born to non-magical parents. Once they arrive at the school, Harry and all of the other first-year students are sorted into four different houses: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. As Slytherin is noted for being the house of darker wizards and witches, Harry successfully begs the magical Sorting Hat not to put him in Slytherin. He winds up in Gryffindor, along with Ron and Hermione. Ron's older brothers have all gone to Gryffindor too: mischievous twins Fred and George, Percy, Charlie (who researches dragons in Romania) and Bill (who works for Gringotts Bank).

At Hogwarts, Harry begins learning wizardry and also discovers more about his past and his parents. He gets recruited for Gryffindor's Quidditch (a sport in the wizarding world where people fly on broomsticks) team as a Seeker, as his father was before him. One night, he, Ron and Hermione find a giant three-headed dog named Fluffy, who belongs to Hagrid, on a restricted floor at the school. They later find out the dog is guarding the Philosopher's Stone, an item that can be used to grant its owner immortality. After Ron tells Harry what he thinks about Hermione, unintentionally hurting her feelings, the 3 of them battle a fully-grown mountain troll on Halloween in the girls' bathroom. Harry concludes that his potions teacher, the unfriendly Severus Snape (Alan Rickman), is trying to obtain the stone in order to return Voldemort to a human form. Harry encounters Voldemort in the Forbidden Forest where he, Ron, Hermione and Draco Malfoy (Tom Felton) are serving detention by helping Hagrid look for an injured unicorn after being caught wandering around at night.

After hearing from Hagrid that Fluffy will fall asleep if played music, Harry, Ron and Hermione decide to find the stone before Snape does. They face a series of tasks that are helping protect the stone and test each of their respective skills, which include surviving a deadly plant, flying past hundreds of flying keys and winning a violent, life-sized chess game.

After getting past the tasks, Harry finds out that it was not Snape who wanted the stone, but rather Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher Professor Quirrell. Quirrell removes his turban and reveals Voldemort to be living on the back of his head. Voldemort tries to convince Harry to give him the stone (which Harry suddenly finds in his pocket as the result of an enchantment by the headmaster, Albus Dumbledore), by promising to bring his parents back from the dead, but Harry refuses. Quirrell tries to kill him but Harry's touch prevents Quirrell from hurting Harry and causes his hand to turn to dust. Quirrell then tries to take the stone but Harry grabs his face, causing Quirrell to turn into dust and die. When Harry gets up, Voldemort's spirit forms and passes through Harry, knocking him unconscious, before fleeing.

Harry wakes up in the school's hospital wing, with Professor Dumbledore at his side. Dumbledore explains that the stone has been destroyed, and that, despite Ron nearly being killed in the chess match, both he and Hermione are fine. The reason Quirrell burned at Harry's touch was because when Harry's mother died to save him, her death gave Harry a magical, love-based protection against Voldemort. Harry, Ron and Hermione are rewarded house points for their heroic performances, and Neville Longbottom (Matthew Lewis) is rewarded for bravely standing up to them, winning Gryffindor the House Cup. Before Harry and the rest of the students leave for the summer, Harry realizes that while every other student is going home, Hogwarts is truly his home.

7th: Harry Potter and the Philosopher Stone 10 votes/24.39% | 16 votes/59.26% in TIEBREAKER
8th: Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince 10 votes/27.03%

This post has been edited by *Tim: 25th July 2015, 09:49 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 25th July 2015, 05:37 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

Chamber of ha secrets for me. easily the weakest left, altho still v good

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 25th July 2015, 06:09 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

Ask Kaban.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 25th July 2015, 07:14 PM
Post #4
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Azkaban easily

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 25th July 2015, 08:10 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Chamber of Secrets for me.

+Quote this post
post 25th July 2015, 08:24 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Azkhaban

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 25th July 2015, 08:38 PM
Post #7
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Deathly Hallows Part I, has it's nice moments but feels too much like a prelude.

Actually can't believe the best film in the whole thing is about to leave sad.gif

+Quote this post
Leonardo
post 25th July 2015, 08:42 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,502

Going with Chamber, hope Azkaban stays.

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post 25th July 2015, 09:25 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,471

Chamber without hesitation. I'm starting to wonder what I'm seeing in Azkhaban that other people are not? To me, it's a stunning movie. It's also got a 91% aggregated review on Rotten Tomatoes, 2nd only to DH2. I can't for one second even fathom how anyone could prefer Chamber of Secrets over it.

I struggle to watch Chamber now as I can't see past the atrocious acting. Not from the kids either, but from Christian Coulson. He hams it up to the point of no return. It just makes me cringe every time. The last time I decided to watch all the movies, I skipped Chamber altogether.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 25th July 2015, 09:46 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

Chamber of shit again

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 26th July 2015, 04:50 AM
Post #11
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Going for Prisoner again

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 26th July 2015, 11:23 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

If you've read the book, Azkaban is shit. It was one of my favourite books but the film went with the style over substance route and gave me none of the feel the book did. I can see how film lovers can love it but from a story perspective, it's weak.

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post 26th July 2015, 01:47 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,471

I see. That's quite interesting I suppose. I've not read the books, although it's something I've been meaning to do for a long time, so I'm looking at it as a movie, carrying on a story. I've no idea what might be missing or different.

Well that answers that then. Best get reading.

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post 26th July 2015, 04:16 PM
Post #14
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
User: 20,675

QUOTE(PaulM1983 @ Jul 25 2015, 10:25 PM) *
Chamber without hesitation. I'm starting to wonder what I'm seeing in Azkhaban that other people are not? To me, it's a stunning movie. It's also got a 91% aggregated review on Rotten Tomatoes, 2nd only to DH2. I can't for one second even fathom how anyone could prefer Chamber of Secrets over it.

Yeah Prisoners is my favorite entry in the entire series! I actually think DH1 is the worst in the franchise so I'm rooting for that to go out this round although it doesn't seem like it sad.gif

I think my list would go:

1. Prizoner Of Azkabhan
2. Chamber of Secrets
3. Order of the Phoenix
4. The Goblet of Fire
5. Philosopher's Stone
6. Deathly Hallows Part II
7. Half-Blood prince
8. Deathly Hallows Part I

This post has been edited by Nelly. S: 26th July 2015, 04:20 PM

+Quote this post
Severin
post 26th July 2015, 04:22 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

I've not read the books and hated the first film so much it put me off watching the rest until it was all over. Enough people said to stick with it so I began from the beginning again. Azkhaban was the first of the films where I thought there might actually be some worth in the series.
It remains easily one of the best films in the story I'm bemused as to why it's in danger.

+Quote this post
April
post 26th July 2015, 10:11 PM
Post #16
Group icon
changed the game with that digital drop
User: 11,905

Deathly Hallows Part 1 should've left by now.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 26th July 2015, 10:27 PM
Post #17
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

'Chamber Of Secrets'!

After this goes, it'll be hard. But I'm going to be sad when it'll be 'Prisoner Of Azkaban' leaving and it could even be this round (!!). It's also my favourite of the films (no, I haven't read the book! tongue.gif ).

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 27th July 2015, 11:53 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

All these non book readers! Seriously the book of Azkaban was VASTLY superior to the film.

+Quote this post
post 27th July 2015, 11:58 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

QUOTE(Nelly. S @ Jul 26 2015, 05:16 PM) *
Yeah Prisoners is my favorite entry in the entire series! I actually think DH1 is the worst in the franchise so I'm rooting for that to go out this round although it doesn't seem like it sad.gif

I think my list would go:

1. Prizoner Of Azkabhan
2. Chamber of Secrets
3. Order of the Phoenix
4. The Goblet of Fire
5. Philosopher's Stone
6. Deathly Hallows Part II
7. Half-Blood prince
8. Deathly Hallows Part I

Mine is;

1)Goblet of Fire
2) Order of the Pheonix
3) Deathly Hallows Part II
----Big gap---
4) Chamber of Secrets
5) Deathly Hallows Part I
---------------
6) Prisoner of Azkaban
7) Philosopher's Stone
8) Half Blood Prince

+Quote this post
dhwe
post 29th July 2015, 12:16 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 21,384

I read PoA and I loved the film as well. Then again I haven't read PoA since...probably before Deathly Hallows (the book) came out, and I've seen the film many times since.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 06:00 PM