BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> In the Closet ● The Collab That Almost Was
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 29th August 2017, 07:56 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Today would have marked Michael Jackson's 59th birthday and 2017 marks 25 years since 'In the Closet', the Madonna collaboration that almost happened, was released.

Speaking in late 1992 in an interview with Jonathan Ross, Madonna revealed the backstory to her and Michael working together. Michael had approached her with the idea of collaborating but Madonna, although curious, was a little hesitant, explaining that a writing process is an intimate experience and you must really trust the person to allow yourself to be open and not afraid to make mistakes. The two did get to know each other, with the obvious example being the 1991 Academy Awards where Madonna brought Michael as her plus one, and the collaboration was set. Michael played Madonna a piece of music, revealing that he wanted to call it 'In the Closet', which instantly captured Madonna's interests due to its provocative connotations. She went away to work on lyrics but Michael disliked them when she presented him with her ideas, with Madonna reckoning he seemed to just want a provocative title and not have the content live up to it. In the end, the two decided not to continue with the collaboration.

What are your thoughts of 'In the Closet'? Could it have done with some racier lyrics and Erotica-style innuendo? What would the video be like with Madonna in it? What would you have wanted from a MJ and Madonna collab, even ignoring 'In the Closet'?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 30th August 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #2
Group icon
User: 13,007

A MJ/Madge collab would be my two all-time favourite artists joining forces so in a way I would be totally here for it, but in another way I wouldn't as it would never live up to my expectations laugh.gif

In the Closet is an absolute beauty, packed with hidden meanings and a true gem from the King. I don't think i'd want Madonna on it, because it's near perfect as it is ~

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 31st August 2017, 01:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(HausofSZA @ Aug 30 2017, 05:33 PM) *
A MJ/Madge collab would be my two all-time favourite artists joining forces so in a way I would be totally here for it, but in another way I wouldn't as it would never live up to my expectations laugh.gif

Yeah, I know what you mean. We got a Prince collab which isn't very well received at all, then there's the collab with Britney which seems to divide opinion. I do think, however, the sounds of Dangerous and Erotica joining forces would be quite something. Like, I can envision what Madonna could be like on 'In the Closet' and I think she'd slot in perfectly. I think a more artistic, creative collaboration would work much better than, say, 80s MJ and Madonna releasing an all-out banger. It could sound good and be a hit, but I think a collaboration where they really think about complimenting each other's styles and vocals would work better long term.

+Quote this post
Cremey
post 31st August 2017, 01:48 PM
Post #4
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

One of the many highlights on one of my favourite albums heart.gif
I'd be interested to hear Madonna on this to see what she'd have done with it (plus the sheer start power of having the two on one song!), but it's pretty perfect as it is.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 9th September 2017, 01:26 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

I would have loved a MJ / M collaboration and this is one the Pop king's finest songs which I think Madonna would be amazing on it. However I don't think it needs racier or more provocative lyrics so in a way I'm glad she wasn't on it as the song is incredible as it is...

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 9th September 2017, 01:28 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

There was supposed to be a Madonna / Spice Girls collaboration on a re-worked version of Vogue too. It was supposed to be made into a music acts version instead of legends of the silver screen. Again I'd be interested to see 2 of my faves collaborate but Vogue is already amazing as it is...

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 10th September 2017, 01:18 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I've never heard of a potential Spice Girls and Madonna collab before! laugh.gif Wouldn't have put the two together but I could see Madonna being interested in what the girls were about.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 10th September 2017, 10:11 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Sep 10 2017, 02:18 PM) *
I've never heard of a potential Spice Girls and Madonna collab before! laugh.gif Wouldn't have put the two together but I could see Madonna being interested in what the girls were about.

I don't know much about it, just remember that it was supposedly a Vogue remake and that a line intended for the 'rap' bit was "Michael Jackson has a new face." I guess if it was in the makings that it was yet another project that was scrapped due to Geri leaving (like the 1998 3rd album and Disney film project.)

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 05:16 AM