BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Classic Dance Albums, Lewis Recommends
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
lewistgreen
post Aug 22 2017, 08:49 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,585

I've been wanting to start a thread of recommendations for a while, but wanted to do something a little different than just suggest songs that I am loving. I'm going to try and revisit or discover some classic albums from previous years that I believe are worth listening to! Not sure how often I'll update this, it'll probably be as and when.

I've already posted in the Dance Classics Thread about Enigma, but my parents, nonetheless, suggested I listen to their debut album. They have it on CD and I listened to it this morning and in my opinion it is just the perfect way to start this thread off.

For those who do not know who Enigma is, they/it is a German music project started by Michael Cretu. Classified as electronica, Enigma focuses on the new age/worldbeat genre to produce some incredibly stunning and relaxing music to listen to. The project is still going today with their most recent album being released at the end of 2016.

MCMXC a.D. was released in 1990 and went to #1 in the UK Album Chart spawning the singles Sadeness (Part I) [UK #1], Mea Culpa (Part II) [UK #55], Principles of Lust [UK #59] and The Rivers of Belief [UK #68]. It has since gone 3x Platinum in the UK selling in excess of 900,000 copies.

Tracklisting
1. The Voice of Enigma
2. Principles of Lust: Sadeness, Find Love, Sadeness (Reprise)
3. Callas Went Away
4. Mea Culpa
5. The Voice & The Snake
6. Knocking on Forbidden Doors
7. Back to the Rivers of Belief: Way to Eternity, Hallelujah, The Rivers of Belief

The album starts with the haunting vocal of:
In the next hour
we will take you with us
into another world,
into the world of music, spirit and meditation

Turn off the light,
take a deep breath
and relax

start to move slowly,
very slowly
Let the rhythm be your
guiding light

And then comes a journey of incredible sounds and vocals.

The album hasn't been without controversy, what with its sexual and religious connotations and its use of samples, but it is a stunning representation of the project and one which I am recommending to you all to listen to today.

This post has been edited by lewistgreen: Aug 22 2017, 12:41 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Aug 22 2017, 08:47 PM
Post #2
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I was not expecting to see that as the first album!

That said, it's a good choice, I used to listen to it loads when it was released wub.gif

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Aug 22 2017, 08:51 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

I can personally vouch for Lewis's recommendations as they're usually top notch and you won't be disappointed, trust me! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Aug 22 2017, 10:41 PM
Post #4
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

I think I remember listening to a bit of Sadeness. Might want to listen to this band later.

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Aug 30 2017, 05:36 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend

Technotronic - Pump Up The Jam
Released: 27/11/1989
UK Album Chart: #2 (44 weeks on the chart)
Singles: Pump Up The Jam (UK #2), Get Up (Before the Night is Over) (UK #2), This Beat is Technotronic (UK #14), Rockin' Over The Beat (UK #9)

Next up on my journey of classic dance albums is the debut from Belgian dance group Technotronic. Undoubtedly famous for 'Pump Up The Jam', which is the album opener, the album itself is a reflection of house/hip house that was becoming more prominent at the time. The album spawned 4 singles, 3 of which went Top 10 in the UK, though they couldn't really keep the momentum going post-Megamix after late 1990. But, that doesn't matter, as it is this album which defines them as a group and is their best overall.

The initial album cover features model Felly Kilingi who was seen in the video for 'Pump Up The Jam'. Fans believed her to be the one rapping initially in the song, but when revealed that it is frequent collaborator on the album Ya Kid K, the cover is changed to feature her instead.

The album captivated the fresh and exciting house sound that was emerging at the end of the 80s/early 90s with a mixture of thumping beats, rhythms and catchy vocals. It is a definite favourite of mine and one I strongly urge you to check out, even if you only know the lead single.

Tracklisting
1. Pump Up The Jam (feat. Ya Kid K)
2. Get Up (Before the Night is Over) [feat. Ya Kid K]
3. Tough (feat. MC Eric)
4. Take it Slow (feat. Ya Kid K)
5. Come On
6. This Beat is Technotronic (feat. MC Eric)
7. Move This (feat. Ya Kid K)
8. Come Back
9. Rockin' Over The Beat (feat. Ya Kid K)
10. Raw
11. Wave
12. String

This post has been edited by lewistgreen: Aug 30 2017, 05:40 PM

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Aug 31 2017, 01:15 AM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

Pump Up The Jam and Get Up (Before The Night Is Over) are both great dance tunes

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Sep 10 2017, 02:00 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend

2 Unlimited - Get Ready
Released: 24/02/1992
UK Album Chart: #37 (3 weeks on the chart)
Singles: Get Ready for This (UK #2), Twilight Zone (UK #2), Workaholic (UK #4), The Magic Friend (UK #11)

I've chosen the debut album from duo 2 Unlimited for my next classic dance album. It introduced us to their bonkers eurodance style of music which was well received here as the album spawned 3 Top 10 singles. 2 Unlimited, in their original incarnation, were vocalist Anita Doth and rapper Ray Slijngaard, both from The Netherlands. PWL signed them in the UK for their releases over here, however the singles and album were changed as it was thought (by some idiot) that Ray's rap would not be well received in this country and he was almost entirely removed from the group's first releases apart from the odd line here and there. Nonetheless, the singles were a success over here and the original versions of the songs did make their way onto the album release. 2 Unlimited remain one of my favourite dance groups of all time and the album is worth checking out for the singles alone and the couple of extra tracks that appear too, including the 'Romantic' element at the end.

Tracklist
1. Get Ready for This (Orchestral Mix)
2. Twilight Zone (Rave Version)
3. The Magic Friend
4. Contrast
5. Twilight Zone (Rap Version)
6. Delight
7. Workaholic
8. Rougher Than the Average
9. Delight (Rap Version)
10. The Magic Friend (Rap Version)
11. Rougher Than the Average (Rap Version)
12. Get Ready for this (Rap Version)
13. Eternally Yours [CD Only]
14. Desire [CD Only]

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Sep 10 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Loving these picks so far!

Get Ready For This is phenomenal dance.gif

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Sep 10 2017, 07:56 PM
Post #9
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Sound dated now but they are both classic dance Albums!

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Sep 10 2017, 07:58 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend

Well obviously they are all reflective of their time and those sounds aren't exactly popular anymore, but they are definitely still huge in their own right!

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Sep 10 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #11
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Yeh true but when I hear some earlier 80s tracks by New Romantics I think they sound as good as they did - the later 80s house has that quick rpm beat that imo sounds very Of it's time and it goes on until around 2001!

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Sep 10 2017, 08:36 PM
Post #12
   No Gallery Pics

2 Unlimited sounds good.

Favourites are No Limit and Get Ready For This

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Sep 17 2017, 03:44 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend

M People - Elegant Slumming
Released: 04/10/1993
UK Album Chart: #2 (112 weeks on the chart)
Singles: One Night in Heaven (UK #6), Moving on Up (UK #2), Don't Look Any Further (UK #9), Renaissance (UK #5)

With the Mercury Prize 2017 announced earlier this week, it seemed fitting to revisit one of two dance albums to win the award, so far (the other being Roni Size & Reprazent), in 1994, the second album from British house group M People. Fronted by Heather Small, the band had a string of hits throughout the 90s, including 4 Top 10 singles from this album. Blending house with funky elements, it is a great energising listen which was popular with the public and the critics.

Tracklist
1. One Night in Heaven
2. Moving on Up
3. Renaissance
4. You Just Have to Be There
5. Love is in My Soul
6. Don't Look Any Further
7. Natural Thing
8. Little Packet
9. La Vida Loca
10. Melody of Life

This post has been edited by lewistgreen: Sep 17 2017, 03:47 PM

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Sep 17 2017, 03:53 PM
Post #14
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Oh gosh Elegant Slumming. That really was all about the singles, it was really quite overrated.

I did like One Night In Heaven though. The intro to the song always reminded me of this:

This post has been edited by dandy*: Sep 17 2017, 03:53 PM

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Sep 17 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #15
   No Gallery Pics

This was the 3rd album to win the Mercury Prize, following Primal Scream's Screamadelica and Suede's self titled

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Oct 1 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Moving On Up is just that perfect upbeat feel-good song!

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Feb 4 2018, 12:32 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend

Pendulum - In Silico
Released: 12/05/2008
UK Album Chart: #2 (44 weeks on the chart)
Singles: Granite (UK #29), Propane Nightmares (UK #9), The Other Side (UK #54), Showdown (UK #119)

The second studio album from the Australian band is 10 years old now, but it still sound fresh as ever, with it's fusion of D&B with rock and electronic influences. It provided us Pendulum's return to the UK singles chart with one of their best performing singles ever 'Propane Nightmares'. Reviews of the album at the time were mixed with the album bringing in new fans due to its genre shift but that also brought criticism from some for "abandoning" their initial sound that was present on 'Hold Your Colour'. In my opinion, this album is a progression from their previous offering, exploring other areas of dance music and allowing Rob's vocals talents to be explored. Right from 'Showdown' starting the album, you are launched into a crazy and heavy assault that is impressive to listen to throughout.

Pendulum returned in 2017 to go on tour, but who knows what the future may hold for them, I certainly hope we get a new album at some point.

Tracklist
1. Showdown
2. Different
3. Propane Nightmares
4. Visions
5. Midnight Runner
6. The Other Side
7. Mutiny
8. 9,000 Miles
9. Granite
10. The Tempest

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:13 AM