BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1917, Oscars contender from Sam Mendes
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Chez Wombat
post Jan 18 2020, 08:56 PM
Post #1
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Time to get some Oscar film threads in here!

I'm sure most of you would've heard of the new film by Sam Mendes released last week in the UK. Has received ten Oscar nominations and has won the Golden Globe for Best Drama, so could well be a big contender for the Best Picture prize.

-x-

I just saw this today and I was really impressed. I'm not huge on war films and I didn't think it exactly said a lot new, but the cinematography and one take style was incredible (I did spot a few of the cuts but it was pretty seamless especially in the trench scenes) and the action scenes were so, so immersive. The acting was excellent too the ending scene seeing the soldier's reaction to his brother's death was especially tragic and the most effective for me, and definitely gave it a human touch. Not sure it'll be my favourite of Oscar season this year but it's up there with the best so far for sure!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 18 2020, 09:05 PM
Post #2
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Yeah I'm not usually into war films either but I felt really gripped by this movie! It was a tense, emotional and shocking watch from the word go. Simple but effective story-telling. I echo that the cinematography was impressive, plus the score was powerful too - really tugged on my heart-strings throughout, especially towards the end. All of the production nods in the awards are so well deserved. I wish George MacKay was being recognised for his acting efforts more though as he did a tremendous job as the lead.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jan 18 2020, 09:25 PM
Post #3
Howdy, disco citizens
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I dislike war films in general (can't think of one I really love of the top of my head, Hacksaw Ridge aside), but I was really taken by 1917. I really like the way it's shot - it feels a lot more intimate than other films, and I like how they seamlessly go from one place to another. A really fine piece of film-making.

I do have one small quibble, which is more to do with how the film's been described - it's been described as happening in real time in one continuous take, when in fact it's actually two takes, due to the scene where he's knocked unconscious and time seems to move forward several hours.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 18 2020, 09:27 PM
Post #4
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

Echoing your three's opinions really aha. War films are not for me, they usually blend into one and be a bit samey for me. I have a handful I love though (like Fury, Saving Private Ryan, Inglorious Basterds, Hacksaw Ridge & Jojo Rabbit - but that's coz there's something a bit more to them than just the view of war and blowing up etc..). I really liked this a lot and adored the style of it. I think I liked this coz it suited the story and it was a story I wasn't all too familiar with/don't think I've ever heard before so when the pilot killed Dean Charles-Chapman's character I was shocked, even if I did expect it - I mean why would you try and save the enemy in war? Maybe that's just me aha.

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Jan 19 2020, 10:53 AM
Post #5
Shakin Stevens
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Yeh saw this during the week and it's really enjoyable! I would def have been a deserter back then!

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jan 21 2020, 11:48 PM
Post #6
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jan 18 2020, 09:27 PM) *
Echoing your three's opinions really aha. War films are not for me, they usually blend into one and be a bit samey for me. I have a handful I love though (like Fury, Saving Private Ryan, Inglorious Basterds, Hacksaw Ridge & Jojo Rabbit - but that's coz there's something a bit more to them than just the view of war and blowing up etc..). I really liked this a lot and adored the style of it. I think I liked this coz it suited the story and it was a story I wasn't all too familiar with/don't think I've ever heard before so when the pilot killed Dean Charles-Chapman's character I was shocked, even if I did expect it - I mean why would you try and save the enemy in war? Maybe that's just me aha.

In answer to your spoiler Jonjo people are human! Often a lot of the soldiers in WW1 and WW2 were just kids, all just human beings wanting to survive. On both sides, some would take pity and mercy, whereas others would be more ruthless. There are plenty of stories about it. I guess when it comes down to it as well, shooting someone from 20ft away is ok, but when your enemy is on fire and seemingly defenseless your human insticsts come out.

I totally loved this, it really was non-stop. Although I agree the 1 cut is very misleading as it's definitely not. The score is perfect - the end scene with running over the battleline is absolutely fantastic and the ending is quite a tear terker. Definitely worth the hype - hope it does well at the Oscars.

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Jan 27 2020, 06:08 PM
Post #7
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

War isn't exactly my go-to genre (although as others have said, I loved Hacksaw Ridge) but this had me gripped, there was only one moment where I lost interest slightly and my mind was wandering and it was towards the end when he was on his own, purely because there was no interaction with any other character. A couple of points made me jump and were so tense (the trip-wire scene!) and I don't often notice the score particularly but in this movie I did and it really added to it.

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 18 2020, 09:05 PM) *
I wish George MacKay was being recognised for his acting efforts more though as he did a tremendous job as the lead.

I agree with this. Not only was he great, but he was in every single bit of the movie??

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jan 18 2020, 09:27 PM) *
so when the pilot killed Dean Charles-Chapman's character I was shocked, even if I did expect it - I mean why would you try and save the enemy in war? Maybe that's just me aha.

I expected it too because all the posters and electronic adverts I've seen for it focus on George MacKay, yet up until that point in the movie, Dean Charles-Chapman was very much a co-lead but it was so heartbreaking the way he was killed, whilst trying to assist the pilot sad.gif

What I also found myself appreciating was young talent being given the spotlight whilst Colin Firth and Benedict Cumberbatch only had cameo roles.

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Jan 28 2020, 01:12 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,043
   No Gallery Pics

This is firm fave to win Best Picture at the Oscars!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:51 AM