BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your favourite album of the 90s?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Bjork
post Jan 25 2021, 03:13 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

only 1 album allowed, which is your ultimate favourite album of the 90s? really curious to see...

I went to a lot of different music phases in the 90s, I started the 90s being a huge Sinead O'Connor fan,
then in the early 90s I was very much into grunge and alt-rock (Nirvana, Pixies, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure)
and then from 93-94 on I was more into Britpop and adjacent bands like Radiohead/Cranberries
but if there was an artist that I followed through the decade, that was TORI AMOS.

I discovered Tori Amos when she released her first EP Me and a Gun and immediately became a fan. Loved her lyrics, music, melodies, personality,
then seeing her live was even better, her concerts were on another level. And being a collector of her music was very rewarding cos she released many formats
and many amazing b-sides too. It was great to collect the 7", the 12", the UK CD1, UK CD2 but then the US CD has a different b.side and there's the German CD which is in cardboard instead, so it was very fulfilling.

Out of all of her albums, my favourite is her 4th, FROM THE CHOIRGIRL HOTEL. It's a very sad album thematically cos it mostly deals with
Tori being pregnant and losing the baby, and thats the core theme and you can see it in songs like Spark, Playboy Mommy or Cruel,
but musically is very daring, it's the opposite of boring with many upbeat and weirdly-structured songs like Hotel, Pandora's Aquarium or Raspberry Swirl.

My fav song from the album has also changed thru the years, Spark, jackies Strength, Cruel, Northern Lad, but right now probably Playboy Mommy is my favourite.

ps even the artwork is amazing

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 25 2021, 03:35 PM
Post #2
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

It'd have to be Madonna - 'Ray Of Light' for me wub.gif I remember rating it in her Artist Forum and was hard pressed to find songs that I wanted to rank below an 8. Timeless spiritual music, stunning ambient production from William Orbit with adventurous flavours outside of his core style too and great vocals from her.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Jan 25 2021, 03:38 PM
Post #3
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I'll need a serious think about this as there are lots of 90s albums that I love for very different reasons.

The two chosen so far are both essential though, I'm a huge fan of both artists in general so am delighted to see them chosen wub.gif

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Jan 25 2021, 03:44 PM
Post #4
With Kristina in heart
Member No.: 28,104
   No Gallery Pics

Not a fan of 90s decade in music, so it was very easy choice.

Geri Halliwell - Schizophonic

My rate : S (Masterpiece)

Top 5 songs :
1. Goodnight Kiss
2. Lift Me Up
3. Look At Me
4. Let Me Love You
5. Sometime

With "Schizophonic" LP Geri passed a good way from the member of average pop group to my all time # 1 favourite female singer.

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 25 2021, 06:35 PM) *
It'd have to be Madonna - 'Ray Of Light' for me

ohmy.gif

"Ray Of Light" is a contender for my least favourite mainstream album from 90s decade. smile.gif
I will give 0 / 10 for "Shanti/Ashtangi" (her worst song), "Nothing Really Matters" (her worst single) and the titled track.

This post has been edited by Last Dreamer: Jan 25 2021, 03:55 PM

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 25 2021, 04:27 PM
Post #5
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

I... don't even know where to start with that post laugh.gif no.gif

(for what it's worth 'Nothing Really Matters' is my least favourite of the singles on that album, but c'mon, 'Bitch I'm Madonna' exists!!)

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Jan 25 2021, 04:37 PM
Post #6
on a bench in coney island
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

Quite a few of my absolute favourites were from the 90s! These would nearly all be in my top 10 of all time:

Janet Jackson 'The Velvet Rope'
D'Angelo 'Brown Sugar'
Lauryn Hill 'The Miseduction of Lauryn Hill'
Björk 'Homogenic'
Michael Jackson 'Dangerous'
Madonna 'Ray of Light'
Björk 'Post'

The Velvet Rope is my favourite from the decade though. Such a classic album and one I'll never tire of wub.gif

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Jan 25 2021, 06:01 PM
Post #7
With Kristina in heart
Member No.: 28,104
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 25 2021, 07:27 PM) *
I... don't even know where to start with that post laugh.gif no.gif

I strongly dislike dance music, from Madonna stuff my favourite albums are first two, "Like A Prayer" and "Evita".

+Quote Post
Jester
post Jan 25 2021, 06:06 PM
Post #8
Right in front of my salad?!
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12

Heres mine, the write up I did for the ultimate album thread:

Blur - Parklife

Blur had an interesting 90s - they started off as what seemed one hit wonders in the early 90s with the dance vibes of Leisure and the hit 'There's No Other Way', then progressed with the inexplicably under-performing very British album 'Modern Life Is Rubbish' before they go to 1994. So, Blur entered the mid-90s with 2 albums under their belt and the musical landscape in the UK was very ready for a Britpop explosion - enter 'Parklife' the huge cockney cheeky chappie masterpiece. The first single was the androgynous sexual liberal tune 'Girls and Boys' a sun drenched summer holiday tune that entered the UK charts at number 5 - which was unusual at the time. 'Parklife' (number 10 peak) was next - resplendent with Phil Daniels commenting on the mundanity of middle aged life and followed around in the wonderfully colourful video by Damon Albarn selling double glazing. 'End Of A Century' and 'To The End' followed - the latter being the highlight single imo. It is a stunning song with sweeping violins and the classy addition of a bit of French with a very continual black and white video.

The album tracks for me are either amazing or a bit mundane. The highlights first. 'Badhead', liking a hangover with pining for a relationship is the best track on the whole album and is followed by the shorts of 'The Debt Collector' a hurdy surfy Wurlitzer instrumental and 'Far Out' which, to a simple guitar strum, references the names of celestial bodies (including Star Trek:TNG's Borg battleground Wolf 359). 'This Is A Low' is another beautiful track - so downbeat and referencing the queen jumping off Lands End. The middle quality albums tracks are the heavier guitar led 'Bank Holiday' - an ode to a very British institution and 'Jubilee' about a delinquent tyke. So onto the poor album tracks (imo) - 'Trouble In The Message Centre' and 'London Loves' have never done it for me, but are marginally ahead of 'Magic America' and 'Cover Over Dover'. I find the former a precursor to the poorer tracks on 'The Great Escape'.

This album came along at just the right time in my life - I was just about to start University and this was a wonderful introduction to the best time of my life and this album in particular became the soundtrack to this. For this reason, this scored as my number 1 album of all time.

Single to check out:

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jan 26 2021, 10:39 PM
Post #9
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

OK Computer

+Quote Post
Severin
post Jan 27 2021, 01:17 AM
Post #10
Mansonette
Member No.: 9,872
   No Gallery Pics

The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers

Lyrically peerless and still retains its power.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 27 2021, 02:32 AM
Post #11
The horrors persist, but so do I
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions

The singles aren't even her strongest (Anything But Down is great but My Favorite Mistake and There Goes The Neighborhood aren't among her best) but the album tracks are stellar, particularly The Difficult Kind.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jan 27 2021, 09:47 AM
Post #12
Hello?
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

Mine would be Talk On Corners by The Corrs, the first album I was ever given with my first stereo and I still adore it and listen to it all the time.

I love all the five singles (six if you include Runaway Remix from the re-release), but also the album tracks are so good - Queen of Hollywood, Don't Say You Love Me, Intimacy and No Good For Me especially.

+Quote Post
Perriechu
post Jan 27 2021, 09:50 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 109,885
   No Gallery Pics

Mariah's debut album is my absolute favourite 90s album, and personally one of my all time favourite albums.

In fact a lot of Mariah's early discography would probably be my top 90s albums.

Her debut especially though. The way she just charged out the gate and broke so many records and cemented herself right there and then as an icon.

Vision of Love, There's Got to Be a Way, Love Takes Time, Vanishing, sis was SINGING and writing for her life. Although lyrically some of the others fall a bit flat, but it was still just such an album.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Jan 27 2021, 01:43 PM
Post #14
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Riser @ Jan 27 2021, 02:32 AM) *
Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions

The singles aren't even her strongest (Anything But Down is great but My Favorite Mistake and There Goes The Neighborhood aren't among her best) but the album tracks are stellar, particularly The Difficult Kind.

Oh I absolutely love this album too, so nice to see it get a mention as it is always overlooked in her discography wub.gif

I absolutely adore My Favourite Mistake, it's possibly my favourite single of hers but I don't think there's a bad track on it. Love The Difficult Kind, Riverwide, It Don't Hurt, Crash and Burn and Mississippi from the album tracks... yeah I could pretty much name everything!

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Jan 27 2021, 03:14 PM
Post #15
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cremey @ Jan 25 2021, 04:37 PM) *
Quite a few of my absolute favourites were from the 90s! These would nearly all be in my top 10 of all time:

Janet Jackson 'The Velvet Rope'
D'Angelo 'Brown Sugar'
Lauryn Hill 'The Miseduction of Lauryn Hill'
Björk 'Homogenic'
Michael Jackson 'Dangerous'
Madonna 'Ray of Light'
Björk 'Post'

The Velvet Rope is my favourite from the decade though. Such a classic album and one I'll never tire of wub.gif

all of these ^

plus

Moby - Play
Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
Spice Girls - Spice World
N-Trance - Electronic Pleasure
The Verve - Urban Hymns
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Celine Dion - Falling into You

my fav decade <3

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Jan 27 2021, 03:36 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

oh I love Sheryl Crow, was a big fan from day 1 but she kinda lost me after album 2, I have to check the Globe Sessions cos I don't recall ever hearing it besides the singles. Her debut is one of my fav albums ever, with I Shall. Believe my fav song hers.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jan 27 2021, 11:51 PM
Post #17
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

QUOTE(Severin @ Jan 27 2021, 01:17 AM) *
The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers

Lyrically peerless and still retains its power.

Does it matter which mix?

I would say that the US mix puts it in contention for my favourite of the 90s but the UK mix falls short.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Feb 21 2021, 12:52 AM
Post #18
Member No.: 13,007

It's between Ray of Light and The Velvet Rope for me. Probably that order tbh! MJ's Dangerous 3rd I think.

+Quote Post
...ready for it
post Feb 21 2021, 08:46 AM
Post #19
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 1,454

Ace of Base - The Sign. I played that a ton.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Feb 22 2021, 12:00 AM
Post #20
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(Last Dreamer @ Jan 25 2021, 03:44 PM) *
ohmy.gif

"Ray Of Light" is a contender for my least favourite mainstream album from 90s decade. smile.gif
I will give 0 / 10 for "Shanti/Ashtangi" (her worst song), "Nothing Really Matters" (her worst single) and the titled track.

Oh my goodness. laugh.gif Wow

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:07 AM