BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> john's 1990 charts, Madchester, raves. Apparently.....
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post Apr 24 2015, 08:25 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
11th March 1990

In from nowhere it’s a 1989 remix/re-recording of my all-time favourite single, Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty. In the week I went to Florida for the first time, it just seemed so appropriate as wherever I’ve gone in the world it invariably pops up, albeit less frequently these days. In chart terms though it wasn’t anywhere close to being near my all-time chart-points top, so this was a nice boost for it, even if this version is more lacklustre than the spine-tingling original. That’s bad news for Erasure, who get blocked at 2 instead of being on top with the fab Blue Savannah. Boo! Also a shame for the B52’s classic Love Shack, ultimate party track getting to 3, but it wouldn’t top until the end of the 90’s on re-issue.

Highest new entry at 4 is down to heavy rotation on Orlando pop radio, Janet Jackson’s Escapade, the best track on the fab Rhythm Nation album, and all of the singles huge in the States where the Jam n Lewis sound still ruled. All of the UK singles underperformed though, so by the time they got round to this one in the UK (the 4th) they’d resorted to jangly piano remixes for all her singles from the album to fit in with the dance sounds of UK 1990. They were all inferior to the Jam n Lewis originals, and so it’s they that count in my charts, not the UK cash-in’s. Escapade had one hell of a great melody and laid back dance groove. Not that I was agin new indie dance, as shown by Guru Josh’ big climb to 5, and in at 15 the fantastic Loaded from Primal Scream, sampling The Emotions and all sorts of bits n bobs.

Holding at 17, Marc Almond’s orchestral mini-melodrama A Lover Spurned, his forte let’s be honest. More surprisingly Bros get a rare top 20 track in my charts just ahead of the leaping instrumental delight of Dave Stewart at 19. Up to 30 the lovely chilled-dance grooves of Innocence and Natural Thing, while Belinda’s Runaway Horses gallop into the 40. Let’s not mention Jive Bunny and Shaky though, OK? It Bites, though, get their first top 40 record in 4 years for those still too young to remember Calling All The Heroes. In at 43, it’s Michael Penn and his fab jangly rockpop US hit No Myth. Who he? He’s actor and occasional Madonna hubby Sean Penn’s younger brother that’s who, and it should have been a hit in the UK. I got to hear it on Orlando radio a good bit, hooray, USA radio was pretty cooking then, oldies and pop.

Martika’s back at 46 with Water, while Siouxsie brings her Fury Eyes back a bit higher than the other week at 62, and Sam Brown keeps her run going with a little love at 66. At 70 it’s a rave second summer of love dance remix of the original summer of love Beatles classic Strawberry Fields Forever, a song that seemed un-coverable, but fitted in nicely with the mood of ’90. The slacker indie rock of under-rated Cowboy Junkies in at 72 as the sun comes up, and the new kids wont go away, as the largely insipid I’ll Be Loving You pops in and out at 73, ahead of Whitesnake at 75, The Deeper The Love still getting them in.

1 ( NEW ) BAKER STREET (REMIX) Gerry Rafferty
2 ( 2 ) BLUE SAVANNAH Erasure
3 ( 5 ) LOVE SHACK The B52’s
4 ( NEW ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
5 ( 31 ) INFINITY (IT'S TIME FOR THE GURU) Guru Josh
6 ( 1 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
7 ( 3 ) LOVE PAINS Liza Minelli
8 ( 4 ) HERE WE ARE Gloria Estefan
9 ( 10 ) ADVICE FOR THE YOUNG AT HEART Tears For Fears
10 ( 11 ) TALKING WITH MYSELF Electribe 101

11 ( 6 ) STRONGER THAN THAT Cliff Richard
12 ( 7 ) STEAMY WINDOWS Tina Turner
13 ( 8 ) DUB BE GOOD TO ME Beats International
14 ( 19 ) MOMENTS IN SOUL J.T. And The Big Family
15 ( NEW ) LOADED Primal Scream
16 ( 9 ) BLACK BETTY ’90 Ram Jam
17 ( 17 ) A LOVER SPURNED Marc Almond
18 ( 39 ) MADLY IN LOVE Bros
19 ( 68 ) LILY WAS HERE David A. Stewart and Candy Dulfer
20 ( 12 ) DOWNTOWN TRAIN Rod Stewart

21 ( 15 ) I’M NOT SATISFIED Fine Young Cannibals
22 ( 14 ) JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES Cher
23 ( 13 ) LIVE TOGETHER Lisa Stansfield
24 ( 40 ) I GO TO EXTREMES Billy Joel
25 ( 38 ) READ MY LIPS Jimmy Somerville
26 ( 34 ) BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL They Might Be Giants
27 ( 18 ) DUDE (LOOKS LIKE A LADY) Aerosmith
28 ( 23 ) SO WHAT Gilbert O’Sullivan
29 ( 22 ) PUT IT THERE Paul McCartney
30 ( 42 ) NATURAL THING innocence

31 ( 16 ) TELL ME THERE’S A HEAVEN Chris Rea
32 ( 20 ) SHINE ON The House Of Love
33 ( 33 ) LOVE AND ANGER Kate Bush
34 ( 50 ) BRITS 1990 Various Artists
35 ( 21 ) 96 TEARS The Stranglers
36 ( 26 ) GET UP (BEFORE THE NIGHT IS OVER) Technotronic featuring Ya Kid K
37 ( 53 ) RUNAWAY HORSES Belinda Carlisle
38 ( NEW ) THAT SOUNDS GOOD TO ME Jive Bunny And The Mastermixers
39 ( 48 ) I MIGHT Shakin’ Stevens
40 ( 60 ) STILL TOO YOUNG TO REMEMBER It Bites

41 ( 28 ) NOTHING COMPARES 2 U Sinead O’Connor
42 ( 37 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
43 ( NEW ) NO MYTH Michael Penn
44 ( 29 ) TOUCH ME The 49ers
45 ( 47 ) HOLD BACK THE RIVER Wet Wet Wet
46 ( NEW ) WATER Martika
47 ( 24 ) PROBABLY A ROBBERY Renegade Soundwave
48 ( 27 ) WALK ON BY Sybil
49 ( 49 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
50 ( 30 ) WALK ON THE WILD SIDE Jamie J. Morgan

51 ( 25 ) HAPPENIN’ ALL OVER AGAIN Lonnie Gordon
52 ( 52 ) SACRIFICE Elton John
53 ( 36 ) GOT TO HAVE YOUR LOVE Mantronix featuring Wondress
54 ( 32 ) COME BACK TO ME Janet Jackson
55 ( 46 ) GOT TO GET Rob ‘n’ Raz featuring Leila K
56 ( 75 ) DELIVERANCE The Mission
57 ( 55 ) SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE Tears For Fears
58 ( 54 ) FOREVER BLUE Swing Out Sister
59 ( 59 ) BROKE AWAY Wet Wet Wet
60 ( 44 ) TWO TO MAKE IT RIGHT Seduction

61 ( 57 ) NO BLUE SKIES Lloyd Cole
62 ( RE ) FURY EYES The Creatures
63 ( 70 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
64 ( 65 ) SUGAR SUGAR The Archies
65 ( 51 ) IN PRIVATE Dusty Springfield
66 ( NEW ) WITH A LITTLE LOVE Sam Brown
67 ( 56 ) WHEN YOU COME BACK TO ME Jason Donovan
68 ( 63 ) ROOM IN YOUR HEART Living In A Box
69 ( 64 ) THE SENSUAL WORLD Kate Bush
70 ( NEW ) STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER Candy Flip

71 ( 71 ) SUNSHINE SUPERMAN Donovan
72 ( NEW ) SUN COMES UP (IT’S TUESDAY MORNING) Cowboy Junkies
73 ( NEW ) I’LL BE LOVING YOU (FOREVER) New Kids On The Block
74 ( 67 ) ALL AROUND THE WORLD Lisa Stansfield
75 ( NEW ) THE DEEPER THE LOVE Whitesnake

10th March and a 4am rise with 2 sleep-deprived kids, dad driving us to Gatwick, car parking, and running after Gavin & Vicki now well awake. Not kids that sit quietly! Virgin airways flight to Miami 11.45, sat with Gavin while some Irish yuppies joked about bombs sat next to me: not particularly funny in those days! Amazingly, once we were up in the air we headed towards Poole and actually flew over our house!! Told the kids, “where?” they asked not entirely bothered. Virgin: Now That’s What I Call Music 16 pop videos, free earphones, a free mag, MASH TV, The Fabulous Baker Boys movie (yawn!) not to mention ice-flows, snow-covered mountains and assorted dramatic Greenland/northern Canada scenery to look at. Quite exciting! Flew over Martha’s Vineyard, just to rub it in that I’d not got there 6 months earlier, and then a long haul to hot, sticky Miami and customs queuing with irritable parent and kids, Vicki refusing to sleep at any time. Conveniently, the Virgin terminal was as far from the connecting Delta Airwaves terminal as you could get, and the time between the flights limited, so it was a dash, a race, and a stress to get to the plane with minutes to spare. Nice views of Miami, though, as we flew to Orlando International, and even better was the school of whales in the sea.

It was dark as we landed, picked up the large car, and I practiced driving it a bit, before heading for our first toll booths and more by luck spotted our Days Inn motel from the toll road as it was about to merge with the I4. Got the apartment, watched The Golden Girls, and I fell asleep on the fold-out front-room bed about 3am UK time. Busy day. So the first day, Sunday, in Orlando we went to the Florida Mall for a jetlagged easy day, after I’d channel-hopped the radio at breakfast for Mix 105.1 and a host of new pop tracks. Icehouse’s Electric Blue was the first track I heard in Florida. Alannah Myles’ Black Velvet was the hot new discovery for me.

The Florida “grass” lawns around the hotel grounds was like Singapore “grass” so I got all nostalgic at the many plant-life similarities, and took some photos of the kids while waiting for the hard-sell travel rep trying to get us to buy theme parks tickets. I was dead sure we could get them cheaper elsewhere (it was) but we bought some anyway. Vicki got flushed and grumpy running round in the heat, but took some good photos of them in sunglasses on the play equipment. They spoke to their mum on the phone a while, then I drove us to the Mall. It was huge, I liked the palm tree entrance (now long-gone) and we ate in the large catering plaza. I found a record store, Janet Jackson’s Escapade video was playing, and I took it as a sign that I needed to buy the 1824 Rhythm Nation CD album - this was cheap by UK standards (under £10). Shockingly, 25 years later, cd’s are still the same price and bargain-cheap compared to inflation. Got myself a Starlog mag and TV Guide as a treat. Back to the motel, ET on a billboard gazing down at our room, advertising the soon-to-open new Universal Studios. Not soon enough for us though, doh!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Apr 24 2015, 09:17 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
1-6?

What is this mistake?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Apr 25 2015, 09:03 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(dandystar @ Apr 24 2015, 10:17 PM) *
1-6?

What is this mistake?

I know, it's unforgiveable! I do have an excuse though - Orlando radio wasn't playing it and we had no internet or ipods in those days so missed out on hearing it for 3 weeks. They were, however, plugging Personal Jesus so stay tuned laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Apr 25 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
18th March 1990

In my first full-week-in-Florida chart Erasure knock off my all-time favourite (in non-remixed form) record after one week, giving Baker Street a total not quite up to it’s 1978 run. It’s Erasure’s second chart-topper, the first being Sometimes in 1986. Blue Savannah is far and away my fave of the two, though. Janet Jackson meanwhile is up to 2, Escapade equalling her 1986 track When I Think Of You, and Primal Scream are loaded at 8 and shockingly Bros go top 10 with Madly In Love for their second and last top 10 single (following When Will I Be Famous).

Highest new entry is Cher, Heart Of Stone following up a chart-topper for her at 11, helped no end by making a slightly more thumping rock version of an otherwise identical fabulous Bucks Fizz top 5 track from 1988. Yes, that’s right, Bucks Fizz did it first, subtler and better. Elton, 1989 former number one, is now getting some serious Florida airplay, explaining Sacrifice’s rebound to 12, while also hot in Orlando, Alannah Myles sultry delta blues classic Black Velvet is in at 17 with a bang. Up to 19, and no myth-take, it’th Sean Penn’s younger brother climbing fast, while Billy Joel gets another top 20 as I go to extremes.

At 24, it’s the final single off Like A Prayer as the US-only single is ignored in the UK, Keep It Together was available in several mixes on a mega-cd single - so I bought it along with Cher’s Heart Of Stone album, and similar cd mixes of Depeche Mode, Prince and Erasure. CD singles were still available in the US, but they were about to decline as albums were the product being pushed, only a few dollars more than a single. U.S. Singles sales would be dead within a decade, from a 30-year-period where they sold millions and millions. In at 27, Aerosmith kick themselves out of the 40 with new US hit, Janie’s Got A Gun, a sort of latter-day I Don’t Like Mondays in lyrical subject matter, if not sound. At 29, Roxette are back, just a little bit Dangerous, and huge in the States as follow-up’s to The Look flopped in the UK, at least initially. Jody Watley gets a solo top 30 some decade after arriving with Shalamar, Everything, and Taylor Dayne gets a 3rd top 40 entry with a ballad, Love Will Lead You back, after her fab 1987 dance chart-topper Tell It To My Heart. Finally, The Mission grab another top 40 goth climber, Deliverance!

Lower down, lots more US radio entries, and some old UK hits now getting American airplay go back up or enter, for example Lisa Stansfield and Soul II Soul. At 54 Expose are back, just like they were in 1987 when I had a West Coast USA holiday, though Tell Me Why’s not as good as When I Look At Him, but they did fit in with the big Florida-based latino dance acts who were about. At 56, Belinda Carlisle’s current US single Summer Rain enters as her less-good UK single Runaway Horses peaks at 33, while Donny Osmond is back at 59, I’ll Be Good To You extending his run of solo singles to 18 years, and still only 32 years old, just like me. It seemed more sophisticated than Puppy Love at the time, but in truth it’s bland where Puppy Love is charming. The B52’s are also back with Roam, current US single as Love Shack is big in the UK, entering here at 63, less quirky but still good. At 67, Paula Abdul is also back with her best single, Opposites Attract, complete with cartoon cat video. At 71, one of music’s unlikely survivors, Paul Carrack has a solo US hit, I Live By The Groove, extending his hit career to 16 years since Ace took How Long from the UK to USA charts. That’s nothing, Chicago had been having US hits since 1970, with only occasional UK success, but What Kind Of Man extends their chart run to 20 years at 72, Aaron Neville and Linda Ronstadt meantime get together for a ballad, and take their career in the US charts back to the 60’s and into the 90’s, while Linda gets a sweet 13 years in my charts since her 60’s hit Different Drum charted. Phil Collins wishes for rain at 74, and Michael Bolton debuts the sound of constipated vocal foghorns at 75. Phew!

1 ( 2 ) BLUE SAVANNAH Erasure
2 ( 4 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
3 ( 1 ) BAKER STREET (REMIX) Gerry Rafferty
4 ( 5 ) INFINITY (IT'S TIME FOR THE GURU) Guru Josh
5 ( 3 ) LOVE SHACK The B52’s
6 ( 8 ) HERE WE ARE Gloria Estefan
7 ( 9 ) ADVICE FOR THE YOUNG AT HEART Tears For Fears
8 ( 15 ) LOADED Primal Scream
9 ( 18 ) MADLY IN LOVE Bros
10 ( 6 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode

11 ( NEW ) HEART OF STONE Cher
12 ( 52 ) SACRIFICE Elton John
13 ( 19 ) LILY WAS HERE David A. Stewart and Candy Dulfer
14 ( 7 ) LOVE PAINS Liza Minelli
15 ( 12 ) STEAMY WINDOWS Tina Turner
16 ( 11 ) STRONGER THAN THAT Cliff Richard
17 ( NEW ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
18 ( 13 ) DUB BE GOOD TO ME Beats International
19 ( 43 ) NO MYTH Michael Penn
20 ( 24 ) I GO TO EXTREMES Billy Joel

21 ( 10 ) TALKING WITH MYSELF Electribe 101
22 ( 14 ) MOMENTS IN SOUL J.T. And The Big Family
23 ( 20 ) DOWNTOWN TRAIN Rod Stewart
24 ( NEW ) KEEP IT TOGETHER Madonna
25 ( 25 ) READ MY LIPS (ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) Jimmy Somerville
26 ( 22 ) JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES Cher
27 ( NEW ) JANIE’S GOT A GUN Aerosmith
28 ( 16 ) BLACK BETTY ’90 Ram Jam
29 ( NEW ) DANGEROUS Roxette
30 ( NEW ) EVERYTHING Jody Watley

31 ( 17 ) A LOVER SPURNED Marc Almond
32 ( 26 ) BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL They Might Be Giants
33 ( 37 ) RUNAWAY HORSES Belinda Carlisle
34 ( NEW ) LOVE WILL LEAD YOU BACK Taylor Dayne
35 ( 30 ) NATURAL THING innocence
36 ( 39 ) I MIGHT Shakin’ Stevens
37 ( 38 ) THAT SOUNDS GOOD TO ME Jive Bunny And The Mastermixers
38 ( 21 ) I’M NOT SATISFIED Fine Young Cannibals
39 ( 56 ) DELIVERANCE The Mission
40 ( 29 ) PUT IT THERE Paul McCartney

41 ( 46 ) WATER Martika
42 ( 27 ) DUDE (LOOKS LIKE A LADY) Aerosmith
43 ( 28 ) SO WHAT Gilbert O’Sullivan
44 ( 74 ) ALL AROUND THE WORLD Lisa Stansfield
45 ( 45 ) HOLD BACK THE RIVER Wet Wet Wet
46 ( 23 ) LIVE TOGETHER Lisa Stansfield
47 ( 42 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
48 ( 32 ) SHINE ON The House Of Love
49 ( NEW ) BACK TO LIFE Soul II Soul
50 ( 33 ) LOVE AND ANGER Kate Bush

51 ( 49 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
52 ( 31 ) TELL ME THERE’S A HEAVEN Chris Rea
53 ( 36 ) GET UP (BEFORE THE NIGHT IS OVER) Technotronic featuring Ya Kid K
54 ( NEW ) TELL ME WHY Expose
55 ( 40 ) STILL TOO YOUNG TO REMEMBER It Bites
56 ( NEW ) SUMMER RAIN Belinda Carlisle
57 ( 57 ) SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE Tears For Fears
58 ( 34 ) BRITS 1990 Various Artists
59 ( NEW ) I’LL BE GOOD TO YOU Donny Osmond
60 ( 35 ) 96 TEARS The Stranglers

61 ( 41 ) NOTHING COMPARES 2 U Sinead O’Connor
62 ( 44 ) TOUCH ME The 49ers
63 ( NEW ) ROAM The B52’s
64 ( 63 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
65 ( 64 ) SUGAR SUGAR The Archies
66 ( 66 ) WITH A LITTLE LOVE Sam Brown
67 ( NEW ) OPPOSITES ATTRACT Paula Abdul
68 ( NEW ) ALL OR NOTHING Milli Vanilli
69 ( NEW ) LAMBADA Kaoma
70 ( 55 ) GOT TO GET Rob ‘n’ Raz featuring Leila K

71 ( NEW ) I LIVE BY THE GROOVE Paul Carrack
72 ( NEW ) WHAT KIND OF MAN WOULD I BE Chicago
73 ( NEW ) ALL MY LIFE Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville
74 ( NEW ) I WISH IT WOULD RAIN DOWN Phil Collins
75 ( NEW ) HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO LIVE WITHOUT YOU Michael Bolton

In Orlando, it was theme park time, first up Sea World, as it was just down the road 5 minutes. Not impressed by some dolphins being in a small petting pool on the way in, and I’m not a fan of performing animals so reluctantly watched the various arena shows, though the trainers seemed to genuinely care for the animals. Far more interested, me, in actual birds hanging about for free food. Vicki meanwhile managed to lose the first of several sunglasses and hats (over the 2 weeks). The bored whales, once not performing, made me feel sorry for them penned up in not huge (to them) otherwise empty pools of sea water. The best show of the day was a mime taking the piss out of people walking to seats in the sea lion show. Funny, and accurate. Best bits were the fish in huge tropical reef tanks, as it was a close approximation of a real reef. Watched over the kids while they had an hour going mad on big-scale play equipment, they loved it. Back at the motel, TV: Murphy Brown, Designing Women and my fave Newhart. I Love Bob Newhart.

Next up, long stressfully busy I4 4-lane drive to Busch Gardens near Tampa Bay on the West Coast. Oldies on the radio were great, as I got to hear new-to-me old stuff like The Raiders’ Indian Reservation. A hot roller-coaster and animals theme park, Busch also had me in 2 minds: the rides were fab, the terminally-pacing bored-to-madness animals (especially the elephants) distressing to me. Best thing? Tidal Wave. A water-mega-coaster that drenches anyone crossing a footbridge as it hits the water. Great fun watching people get soaked. I took the kids on a log flume ride, but didn’t say what it would be like. Little Gavin wasn’t bothered, Vicki was old enough to be aware of fear, and sure enough she hated it all the way through, even though it was mild until the big drop at the end. Gav only was bothered by the big drop. They loved telling mum and dad about it afterwards though, whenever we saw it again. I got soaked on a rapids raft ride, from waves of water, before getting a jet of water all over me just to make sure I was 100% wet, poor Gav also got hit by it. My driving licence and traveller’s cheques all got wet and the ink ran. I still have that runny paper licence and it’s still valid!

Next up Disney World a 3rd theme park in 3 days - this is overkill! Vicki was sunburnt from losing her latest hat, and when Hungry Eyes came on the car radio said “it’s Dirty Den!” (her mum loved Dirty Dancing). The 4-day pass cost $106, about the cost of a one-day pass these days, unlike CD’s theme park fees have kept pace with inflation! A ferry-boat ride over to Magic Kingdom on a scorching sunny day - the Car Parks needed trolley rides they were so huge at Disney! I LOVED the monorail, the public transportation of the future that never caught on, more’s the pity, and it joins up Epcot, hotels, and son, around the central huge lake. Main Street Square was as familiarly like Disneyland, as was a lot of Magic Kingdom - only bigger and more spacious. Fantasyland for the kids, through the castle, for a day of standing in line again and again. Once you know the ropes you can plan ahead, get in early, and avoid a lot of that in most theme parks, if you don’t know the ropes you needs lots of patience. Tomorrowland was my fave area, but the queues were an hour for the big rides, so we did the People Mover, and moved over to Frontierland and the Haunted Mansion - once inside it was air conditioned relief from the sticky heat! Vicki got petrified with all the holograms and skeletons and the like. Gav was more interested in what was going on with all the flying ghosts and stuff. Disney Railroad, Pirates Of The Caribbean (cool, hooray!) and finally the Big Thunder Mountain railroad, a shaky rollercoaster ride which the kids didn’t like at all - “the driver’s mad” said Vicki. We had to tell her there wasn’t a driver! Drive back to the motel was in the dark, and TV shows Night Court and Quantum Leap later on.

More next time...! (Sorry!)

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Apr 25 2015, 06:36 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Mansonette
Roam by the B52s is one of my favourite singles of 1990... obviously it was completely overshadowed by Love Shack in the charts but I'll be intrigued to see how it fares here...

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Apr 25 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(dandystar @ Apr 25 2015, 07:36 PM) *
Roam by the B52s is one of my favourite singles of 1990... obviously it was completely overshadowed by Love Shack in the charts but I'll be intrigued to see how it fares here...

so will I - I can't recall where it peaked! I have an inkling it had an extended run as it took a while to chart in the UK but i'm pretty sure it's much higher than the UK peak of 17!

(just checked - it did!) laugh.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Apr 25 2015, 07:16 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Mansonette
You've prompted me to download and listen to it and it's still fantabulous! *.*

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Apr 26 2015, 08:56 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
25th March 1990

Janet Jackson gets her first chart topper with the fab Escapade (the US version), knocking Erasure off the top after one week. Bros go top 5. Gasp! I must have been madly in love (I wasn’t!). Dave Stewart gets a top 10 outside of Eurythmics, and Madonna keeps it together long enough to go top 20, along with Aerosmith and Roxette, not to mention Jody Watley and Taylor Dayne, all of them had been there before. Highest new entry is a return for Depeche Mode’s brilliant Personal Jesus at 28, as it’s still big in the States, while a radio play at a Florida McDonald’s car park gives Sinead O’Connor a boost again.

Orlando radio brings in a deluge of tracks, Rod Stewart is back, Starship grab a chart entry with a previous flop, The Bee Gees mellow ballad pops in at 40 (Bodyguard), for 22 years of top 40 entries, and best of all Heart return with their last great single All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You, a terrific story song with a twist, albeit one with dubious moral behaviour from the lady of the lyric. Lou Gramm of Foreigner has a blue solo hit (blue is the colour of my charts it seems), while Michael Bolton kicks out his own annoying debut hit with a better bellowing follow-up.

1 ( 2 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
2 ( 1 ) BLUE SAVANNAH Erasure
3 ( 3 ) BAKER STREET (REMIX) Gerry Rafferty
4 ( 4 ) INFINITY (IT'S TIME FOR THE GURU) Guru Josh
5 ( 9 ) MADLY IN LOVE Bros
6 ( 12 ) SACRIFICE Elton John
7 ( 19 ) NO MYTH Michael Penn
8 ( 6 ) HERE WE ARE Gloria Estefan
9 ( 5 ) LOVE SHACK The B52’s
10 ( 13 ) LILY WAS HERE David A. Stewart and Candy Dulfer

11 ( 11 ) HEART OF STONE Cher
12 ( 17 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
13 ( 8 ) LOADED Primal Scream
14 ( 7 ) ADVICE FOR THE YOUNG AT HEART Tears For Fears
15 ( 10 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
16 ( 24 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER Madonna
17 ( 27 ) JANIE’S GOT A GUN Aerosmith
18 ( 29 ) DANGEROUS Roxette
19 ( 30 ) EVERYTHING Jody Watley
20 ( 34 ) LOVE WILL LEAD YOU BACK Taylor Dayne

21 ( 61 ) NOTHING COMPARES 2 U Sinead O’Connor
22 ( 22 ) MOMENTS IN SOUL J.T. And The Big Family
23 ( 20 ) I GO TO EXTREMES Billy Joel
24 ( 14 ) LOVE PAINS Liza Minelli
25 ( 25 ) READ MY LIPS (ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) Jimmy Somerville
26 ( 15 ) STEAMY WINDOWS Tina Turner
27 ( 16 ) STRONGER THAN THAT Cliff Richard
28 ( NEW ) PERSONAL JESUS Depeche Mode
29 ( 18 ) DUB BE GOOD TO ME Beats International
30 ( 63 ) ROAM The B52’s

31 ( 21 ) TALKING WITH MYSELF Electribe 101
32 ( 23 ) DOWNTOWN TRAIN Rod Stewart
33 ( 49 ) BACK TO LIFE Soul II Soul featuring Caron Wheeler
34 ( 44 ) ALL AROUND THE WORLD Lisa Stansfield
35 ( 73 ) ALL MY LIFE Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville
36 ( 28 ) BLACK BETTY ’90 Ram Jam
37 ( NEW ) THIS OLD HEART OF MINE Rod Stewart featuring Ronald Isley
38 ( 26 ) JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES Cher
39 ( RE ) TWO TO MAKE IT RIGHT Seduction
40 ( NEW ) BODYGUARD The Bee Gees

41 ( 36 ) I MIGHT Shakin’ Stevens
42 ( 32 ) BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL They Might Be Giants
43 ( NEW ) IT’S NOT ENOUGH Starship
44 ( 54 ) TELL ME WHY Expose
45 ( 37 ) THAT SOUNDS GOOD TO ME Jive Bunny And The Mastermixers
46 ( 31 ) A LOVER SPURNED Marc Almond
47 ( NEW ) GET A LIFE Soul II Soul
48 ( 33 ) RUNAWAY HORSES Belinda Carlisle
49 ( 35 ) NATURAL THING innocence
50 ( 40 ) PUT IT THERE Paul McCartney

51 ( 47 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
52 ( RE ) THE DEEPER THE LOVE Whitesnake
53 ( 51 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
54 ( NEW ) ALL I WANNA DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU Heart
55 ( 38 ) I’M NOT SATISFIED Fine Young Cannibals
56 ( NEW ) WAS IT NOTHING AT ALL Michael Damian
57 ( 72 ) WHAT KIND OF MAN WOULD I BE Chicago
58 ( 59 ) I’LL BE GOOD TO YOU Donny Osmond
59 ( 64 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
60 ( 57 ) SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE Tears For Fears

61 ( 45 ) HOLD BACK THE RIVER Wet Wet Wet
62 ( NEW ) TOO LATE TO SAY GOODBYE Richard Marx
63 ( 39 ) DELIVERANCE The Mission
64 ( 43 ) SO WHAT Gilbert O’Sullivan
65 ( 74 ) I WISH IT WOULD RAIN DOWN Phil Collins
66 ( 50 ) LOVE AND ANGER Kate Bush
67 ( 68 ) ALL OR NOTHING Milli Vanilli
68 ( 65 ) SUGAR SUGAR The Archies
69 ( 69 ) LAMBADA Kaoma
70 ( 71 ) I LIVE BY THE GROOVE Paul Carrack

71 ( NEW ) HOW CAN WE BE LOVERS Michael Bolton
72 ( NEW ) I WANNA BE RICH Calloway
73 ( 56 ) SUMMER RAIN Belinda Carlisle
74 ( NEW ) TRUE BLUE LOVE Lou Gramm
75 ( NEW ) KEEP EACH OTHER WARM Barry Manilow

Back in Florida, we had a trip to downtown Orlando, or “multi-storey yuppie-paradise blocks, banking and the like” as I referred to them. Church Street Station was the only bit of interest, a sort of 19th-century-styled shopping area by a railroad. Happily I found a record store and bought Aretha Franklin’s Greatest Hits CD, and the kids played in the video arcade.

Next day, Epcot at Disney, which impressed me, especially as you walk in the entrance and see the giant golf-ball-styled building. Inside was Spaceship Earth, a very Disney-50’s view of human history and the future, but sort of nostalgically pleasant for idealised childhood images. I also loved the monorail passing overhead outdoors in amongst the huge individual indoor themed attractions and ponds and fountains and gardens. Very nice. Around the central (huge) lake was a selection of countries of the world, buildings done in the styles of each, and peopled with residents of each: Canada (very Ottawa); London (chip shop and pub); Japan I loved, huge buildings stuffed with oriental trinket mementos, and japanese gardens, pagodas; Morocco reminded me of Tunisia; China I also enjoyed shopping in for Singapore noastalgia, and it looked great; Mexico was an Aztec pyramid, the indoors set as night-time and boat ride of singing happy Mexico as an attraction. Cool air-con inside too, hooray. Other stuff: The Living Seas had a giant aquarium, Universe Of Energy had giant plastic dinosaurs and forgot to mention pollution as it was sponsored co-incidentally by Exxon. And then there was the fab 3D Captain Eo film - Michael Jackson in a sci-fi Star Wars/ Thriller styled short musical. It was naff acting and scriptwise but ended on a good version of Another Part Of You.

Kennedy Space Centre on the East Coast (2 or 3 hours drive) was awesome for me, it had a Saturn V rocket, Space Shuttles, and I drove there along to the US top 40 radio countdown. The space shuttle was on the launchpad!! So we bought tickets for a coach tour of NASA, which had a viewing platform to get out and take photos of the space shuttle on the launch pad. In the distance. Also got to stop at the Saturn V rocket (then still outdoors as seen in the Police’s Walking On The Moon pop video). It was huge, but didn’t appear big due to the massive NASA building behind it (so big this can be seen for miles around, used to house the shuttle and rockets) - a few years later it was moved to an indoor building and you got real sense of scale then, you could walk underneath it. Finally, The Dream Is Alive, awesome Imax movie, the quality of the space shots, and late astronauts, was both stunning and sad, awesome and wondrous. I bought a souvenir poster an astronaut on a spacewalk, and smaller ones of Planet earth and the Space Shuttle. Back for Doctor Who on cable TV (Black Orchid), and a new Star Trek: The Next Generation, and Rob Lowe on Saturday Night Live.

Other day trips? Cocoa Beach and Kissimmee, Ron Jon’s Surfshop (megastore), cheap T shirts, and I babysat in the motel with the kids playing on the play equipment. I nipped to the bathroom, only to have Gavin come in screaming: he’d been kicked off the slide by another kid and had what appeared to be a bruised cheek. I calmed him down, soothed the bruise with water and he ran off back to play with me there. I should have been there supervising, so take all the blame. I told him a couple of years back that the mysterious chipped bone he’d had in his cheekbone as long as he could remember was my fault (sort of). It probably would have happened anyway...! Just to round off the evening, dad came out of the toilet having had the runs (food poisoning) all day following a sea food platter meal at Cocoa Beach, and fell slowly to the floor groaning. We thought he was acting and laughed. He wasn’t acting. He hit his chin, and stayed up all night with the TV on, poorly.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post May 31 2015, 08:08 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
1st April 1990

A 2nd week on top for Janet Jackson’s Escapade, as the Florida holiday really causes a mass invasion of US chart hits, and climbs, with Black Velvet the main beneficiary shooting up to 2 for Alannah Myles. There are also some UK chart hits though, led by Snap! debuting at 3 with the classic dance rap of The Power, one of the influential dance tracks of the 90’s. That even manages to outshade the 20th anniversary hit reissue of The Beatles 1970 number one Let It Be, in at 4, and still a classic. Also back, thanks to US radio, Personal Jesus hits a new peak of 6 for Depeche Mode, Cher’s Bucks Fizz cover is at 8, and Taylor Dayne gets a second top 10 hit 2 years on from the brilliant number one Tell It To My Heart, this time it’s a ballad. UB40 also make it 10 years of big hits as their cover of Kingston Town is in at 17, and their best record, just gorgeous.

Heart shoot up 40 places to 14, Candy Flip’s Beatles cover returns at 20, and Jamtronik cover Phil Collins recent single Another Day In Paradise, done shuffle soul dance stylee. They Might Be Giants and Paula Abdul go top 40, as do Chicago, 20 years on from debuting with the much better 25 or 6 To 4. Madonna has her US single Keep It Together hitting 7, as her brand new single Vogue enters at 34 - I was sad they didn’t give Keep It Together a UK release immediately after Dear Jessie, it deserved it. In at 35 Jane Child with a good pop single Don’t Wanna Fall In Love, Bowie’s Fame is revamped 15 years on and is in at 39 (but no credit for John Lennon, though, annoyingly) - he did co-write it, which helped it hit the US number one in 1975.

A great new entry for The Inspiral Carpets at 41, This Is How It Feels being both current and retro sounding both, the fab Ghetto Heaven has a SoulIISoul vibe for The Family Stand at 44, The Blues Brothers famous movie song enters at 56, while Wilson Philips future famous movie song (Bridesmaids) debuts at 60. Hold On is very harmony-delicious, not surprisingly given the girls were the daughters of Brian Wilson, and John and Michele Philips - that’s The Beach Boys and The Mamas And The Papas next generation. Prince’s lead track on his maxi-CD The Scandalous Sex Suite enters at 67. I bought 2 copies of it while in Florida, reasoning they would be collectable. Sadly, I left it too long, Prince not that much in demand these days. Ah well. At 68, The Happy Mondays cover the brilliant John Kongos South African tribal-rock He’s Gonna Step On You Again, and turn it into a Madchester laddy dance shuffle. I can’t forgive the melon-twisting add-on though, sorry!

1 ( 1 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
2 ( 12 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
3 ( NEW ) THE POWER Snap!
4 ( NEW ) LET IT BE The Beatles
5 ( 28 ) PERSONAL JESUS Depeche Mode
6 ( 2 ) BLUE SAVANNAH Erasure
7 ( 16 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER Madonna
8 ( 11 ) HEART OF STONE Cher
9 ( 6 ) SACRIFICE Elton John
10 ( 20 ) LOVE WILL LEAD YOU BACK Taylor Dayne

11 ( 7 ) NO MYTH Michael Penn
12 ( 4 ) INFINITY (IT'S TIME FOR THE GURU) Guru Josh
13 ( 3 ) BAKER STREET (REMIX) Gerry Rafferty
14 ( 54 ) ALL I WANNA DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU Heart
15 ( 8 ) HERE WE ARE Gloria Estefan
16 ( 10 ) LILY WAS HERE David A. Stewart and Candy Dulfer
17 ( NEW ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40
18 ( 9 ) LOVE SHACK The B52’s
19 ( 18 ) DANGEROUS Roxette
20 ( RE ) STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER Candy Flip

21 ( 5 ) MADLY IN LOVE Bros
22 ( NEW ) ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE Jamtronik
23 ( 13 ) LOADED Primal Scream
24 ( 15 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
25 ( 42 ) BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL They Might Be Giants
26 ( 14 ) ADVICE FOR THE YOUNG AT HEART Tears For Fears
27 ( 35 ) ALL MY LIFE Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville
28 ( RE ) OPPOSITES ATTRACT Paula Abdul featuring The Wild Pair
29 ( 57 ) WHAT KIND OF MAN WOULD I BE Chicago
30 ( 17 ) JANIE’S GOT A GUN Aerosmith

31 ( 19 ) EVERYTHING Jody Watley
32 ( 39 ) TWO TO MAKE IT RIGHT Seduction
33 ( 21 ) NOTHING COMPARES 2 U Sinead O’Connor
34 ( NEW ) VOGUE Madonna
35 ( NEW ) DON’T WANNA FALL IN LOVE Jane Child
36 ( 29 ) DUB BE GOOD TO ME Beats International
37 ( 30 ) ROAM The B52’s
38 ( 23 ) I GO TO EXTREMES Billy Joel
39 ( NEW ) FAME ’90 David Bowie
40 ( 62 ) TOO LATE TO SAY GOODBYE Richard Marx

41 ( NEW ) THIS IS HOW IT FEELS The Inspiral Carpets
42 ( 32 ) DOWNTOWN TRAIN Rod Stewart
43 ( 26 ) STEAMY WINDOWS Tina Turner
44 ( NEW ) GHETTO HEAVEN The Family Stand
45 ( 52 ) THE DEEPER THE LOVE Whitesnake
46 ( 27 ) STRONGER THAN THAT Cliff Richard
47 ( 31 ) TALKING WITH MYSELF Electribe 101
48 ( 37 ) THIS OLD HEART OF MINE Rod Stewart featuring Ronald Isley
49 ( 24 ) LOVE PAINS Liza Minelli
50 ( 67 ) ALL OR NOTHING Milli Vanilli

51 ( 22 ) MOMENTS IN SOUL J.T. And The Big Family
52 ( 38 ) JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES Cher
53 ( 25 ) READ MY LIPS (ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) Jimmy Somerville
54 ( 33 ) BACK TO LIFE Soul II Soul featuring Caron Wheeler
55 ( NEW ) WATER Martika
56 ( NEW ) EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE LOVED The Blues Brothers
57 ( NEW ) MAMA GAVE BIRTH TO THE SOUL CHILDREN Queen Latifah and De La Soul
58 ( 51 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
59 ( 53 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
60 ( NEW ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips

61 ( 34 ) ALL AROUND THE WORLD Lisa Stansfield
62 ( NEW ) WHOLE WIDE WORLD A’me Lorraine
63 ( 36 ) BLACK BETTY ’90 Ram Jam
64 ( 72 ) I WANNA BE RICH Calloway
65 ( 59 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
66 ( 71 ) HOW CAN WE BE LOVERS Michael Bolton
67 ( NEW ) SCANDALOUS Prince
68 ( NEW ) STEP ON The Happy Mondays
69 ( 60 ) SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE Tears For Fears
70 ( RE ) GET UP (BEFORE THE NIGHT IS OVER) Technotronic featuring Ya Kid K

71 ( NEW ) SWEET AND LOW Deborah Harry
72 ( NEW ) YOUR LOVE TAKES ME HIGHER The Beloved
73 ( NEW ) EVERYTHING STARTS WITH AN E E Zee Possee
74 ( 50 ) PUT IT THERE Paul McCartney
75 ( NEW ) CHIME Orbital

In Florida, we had a day at St. Petersburg on the west coast, visited the pier, took photos of Vicki and Gavin, and some pelicans, and then drove to Treasure Island resort, and it’s fabulous fine-coral-sand wide beaches. On the way back home we heard news on the radio that Gloria Estefan had been in a bus crash, and was critical with a suspected broken back. I was a big fan at the time, so that was very saddening news, and I kept waiting for updates. She eventually recovered, more or less, and wrote a touching song about the trauma.

MGM Studios at Disney World was a blast for the family, all big movie fans, but it seemed smaller, and with more standing in line than other theme parks. The Studio Tour was interesting, exploding lorries, props and famous Film houses, like The Golden Girls, but was a less-good version of the Californian tour. I wore my Batman T shirt, bought in Boston, Mass, a young American mother took a liking to it and wanted to know where she could buy one for her little boy as it was better than the ones on sale in Orlando. I almost got dragged into a movie-set mock-up but refused, to the annoyance of the family. Me so shy! Indiana Jones stuntshow, fab Star Tours Star Wars ride, with R2D2 and C3PO on hand. Best ride of the day.

Other days out: Cypress Gardens with it’s lush gardens, and southern Belles, and aerial platform over a large lake, water ski shows, and now history as it’s long gone, sadly. Magic Kingdom again, and this time I got onto Space Mountain, a roller-coaster ride in the dark, still great. I also treated myself to a Panasonic cassette recorder with radio, so I could tape music direct off American radio, and also the DJ’s which made for a great souvenir over the years, as I recorded all sorts of 90’s future nostalgia and meant I got copies of those more obscure tracks. Then it was goodbye Florida, Gavin’s toy gun not going down very well with US customs - they took it away - and a small plane ride, bumpy, to Miami to catch the Virgin flight home. We flew over Cape Canaveral, Cocoa Beach, and Miami Beach, which was great. Not great was the mad dash to the far end of the airport, the long wait in line, and the customs again. We were jetlagged before we even got on board. I’ve made sure I never change planes again. Too stressful. Direct flights only!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 3 2015, 04:06 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
8th April 1990

The Beatles Let It Be gets to number one (again) 20 years since first topping my chart, and holds off The Power. Snap! Madonna gets greedy at 6, with her US remix of Keep It Together, and 7 rocketing upward with Vogue. Madonna was on fire at this time - at least until the soundtrack to Dick Tracy popped out (including Vogue, for some reason). UB40 and Heart go top 10, both of them with their best ever single, so yay! Jane Child climbs into the 20, Bowie does it 2nd time round with Fame remixed, and They Might Be Giants and Paula Abdul also go top 20 with their best singles. Lots of quality about!

Into the 40: The fab Family Stand, the wondrous Wilson Philips, The Inspiral Carpets, Whitesnake, and errr, Milli Vanilli. Shhhh! New entries: Janet Jackson has yet another Rhythm Nation single, Alright in at 36 as Escapade drops off the top - at some stage in it’s chart run it changes from it’s original superior Jam & Lewis album mix, and morphs into the now obligatory Italian jangly-piano eurotrash-style house mix - this style pretty much killed off Jam & Lewis as chart forces, rather annoyingly, but that’s the ever-changing dance-music scene for you. At 38, the terrific Jesus Jones return, Real Real Real good as they finally become chart regulars for a while, well deserved, they always had their own sound, and it was one I was very partial to.

Other new entries: Natalie Cole still charting, 15 years on from her debut, though always in the shadow of her timeless dad, this time Wild Women Do. Apparently. It wasn’t bad. At 61, I Found Out The Christians had returned, but Kim Wilde says not, It’s Here, she says, at 64, a nice track that seriously underperformed after her run of big success in 88/89. Times were changing. The Cure have A Picture Of You at 69 for a cool decade of cool hits, and the glorious Kirsty is back briefly wagging the finger at Sonny Jim, who really shouldn’t come the cowboy with her at 74. Finally, Taylor Dayne grabs a second entry with her UK single, I’ll Be Your Shelter, which isn’t as good as the big US ballad hit higher up.

As I’ve featured Let It Be in other charts, though, I’ll instead show Candy Flip’s cover of a Beatles classic, all trip-hop pop at 13: Strawberry Fields Forever.

1 ( 4 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
2 ( 3 ) THE POWER Snap!
3 ( 1 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
4 ( 2 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
5 ( 5 ) PERSONAL JESUS Depeche Mode
6 ( 7 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER (REMIX) Madonna
7 ( 34 ) VOGUE Madonna
8 ( 8 ) HEART OF STONE Cher
9 ( 17 ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40
10 ( 14 ) ALL I WANNA DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU Heart

11 ( 6 ) BLUE SAVANNAH Erasure
12 ( 20 ) STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER Candy Flip
13 ( 9 ) SACRIFICE Elton John
14 ( 35 ) DON’T WANNA FALL IN LOVE Jane Child
15 ( 19 ) DANGEROUS Roxette
16 ( 11 ) NO MYTH Michael Penn
17 ( 16 ) LILY WAS HERE David A. Stewart and Candy Dulfer
18 ( 39 ) FAME ’90 David Bowie
19 ( 28 ) OPPOSITES ATTRACT Paula Abdul featuring The Wild Pair
20 ( 25 ) BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL They Might Be Giants

21 ( 15 ) HERE WE ARE Gloria Estefan
22 ( 22 ) ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE Jamtronik
23 ( 12 ) INFINITY (IT'S TIME FOR THE GURU) Guru Josh
24 ( 10 ) LOVE WILL LEAD YOU BACK Taylor Dayne
25 ( 13 ) BAKER STREET (REMIX) Gerry Rafferty
26 ( 18 ) LOVE SHACK The B52’s
27 ( 23 ) LOADED Primal Scream
28 ( 44 ) GHETTO HEAVEN The Family Stand
29 ( 32 ) TWO TO MAKE IT RIGHT Seduction
30 ( 40 ) TOO LATE TO SAY GOODBYE Richard Marx

31 ( 24 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
32 ( 21 ) MADLY IN LOVE Bros
33 ( 60 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
34 ( 27 ) ALL MY LIFE Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville
35 ( 41 ) THIS IS HOW IT FEELS The Inspiral Carpets
36 ( NEW ) ALRIGHT Janet Jackson
37 ( 45 ) THE DEEPER THE LOVE Whitesnake
38 ( NEW ) REAL REAL REAL Jesus Jones
39 ( 29 ) WHAT KIND OF MAN WOULD I BE Chicago
40 ( 50 ) ALL OR NOTHING Milli Vanilli

41 ( 73 ) EVERYTHING STARTS WITH AN E E Zee Possee
42 ( 33 ) NOTHING COMPARES 2 U Sinead O’Connor
43 ( 26 ) ADVICE FOR THE YOUNG AT HEART Tears For Fears
44 ( 36 ) DUB BE GOOD TO ME Beats International
45 ( 56 ) EVERYBODY NEEDS SOMEBODY TO LOVE The Blues Brothers
46 ( 68 ) STEP ON The Happy Mondays
47 ( 37 ) ROAM The B52’s
48 ( 57 ) MAMA GAVE BIRTH TO THE SOUL CHILDREN Queen Latifah and De La Soul
49 ( NEW ) WILD WOMEN DO Natalie Cole
50 ( 62 ) WHOLE WIDE WORLD A’me Lorraine

51 ( 71 ) SWEET AND LOW Deborah Harry
52 ( 52 ) JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES Cher
53 ( 42 ) DOWNTOWN TRAIN Rod Stewart
54 ( 75 ) CHIME Orbital
55 ( 64 ) I WANNA BE RICH Calloway
56 ( 43 ) STEAMY WINDOWS Tina Turner
57 ( 30 ) JANIE’S GOT A GUN Aerosmith
58 ( 66 ) HOW CAN WE BE LOVERS Michael Bolton
59 ( 59 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
60 ( 58 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush

61 ( NEW ) I FOUND OUT The Christians
62 ( 38 ) I GO TO EXTREMES Billy Joel
63 ( 49 ) LOVE PAINS Liza Minelli
64 ( NEW ) IT’S HERE Kim Wilde
65 ( NEW ) DON’T YOU LOVE ME The 49‘ers
66 ( 65 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
67 ( 61 ) ALL AROUND THE WORLD Lisa Stansfield
68 ( 55 ) WATER Martika
69 ( NEW ) PICTURES OF YOU The Cure
70 ( 69 ) SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE Tears For Fears

71 ( NEW ) THIS BEAT IS TECHNOTRONIC Technotronic
72 ( NEW ) HANG ON TO YOUR LOVE Jason Donovan
73 ( 48 ) THIS OLD HEART OF MINE Rod Stewart featuring Ronald Isley
74 ( NEW ) DON’T COME THE COWBOY WITH ME SONNY JIM Kirsty MacColl
75 ( NEW ) I’LL BE YOUR SHELTER Taylor Dayne

Back in the UK, from Florida, I was in post-holiday sort-out at home, and new boy Graham joined out team at work, to get some cash as he struggled making ends meet for his girlfriend and kids as a musician in local band the Cropdusters, and getting over some serious hospital operations. We shared a love of music, and got on well. Nephew Gav was off ill from school at home, and kindly passed it on to me. I bemoaned the lack of time to do all the things I needed and wanted to do in my life. I dream of having the time I had spare in those days, these days. That situation remained true throughout my life, there’s never enough hours in a day to do stuff.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 3 2015, 09:21 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

16th April 1990

Snap! have The Power to knock off The Beatles, and a great dance record too, this was the line-up of Snap! I saw in concert at the BIC in Bournemouth. Those riffs are fantastic, and the blending of rap with a sung chorus was the way of the future for dance pop. Or vice versa. Depeche Mode meantime follow-up their chart-topper with the previous brilliance of Personal Jesus from late ’89 coming back bigger and peaking at 2. It’s the girls dominating though, Madonna at 5, Cher at 6 almost equalling the Bucks Fizz original, and Paula Abdul hitting the top 10 along with Jane Child. Opposites Attract says Paula, thinking of her TV American Idol future as the pop career fades in a few years.

Jesus Jones rocket Real Real Real into the 20, Stevie B has a ballad highest entry at 24, Love Me For Life, and Kim Wilde? It’s Here at 28. Deserved to be bigger in the real sales charts and not just in mine. Up to 31, it’s John Belushi and Dan Akroyd and there very famous cult performance as The Blues Brothers, a film that got bigger as time went by, which is why it took the song from the film 11 years to chart as video movies were huge by 1990. I’ve seen tribute versions many times singing live at Universal Studios, Florida, always great fun. The Happy Mondays step on 36, Debbie Harry is Sweet and Low, dancing it up nicely at 37, one of her better solo singles, and Natalie Cole is wild about being one place lower, while Taylor Dayne greedily bags a 2nd top 40 entry in the same week.

New entries: Aerosmith, Rag Doll, another goodie from them; Adam Ant finds he Can’t Set Rules About Love; The Associates have a fever, but not THAT Fever, a new song; Dave Edmunds keeps his run of entries going, notching up 20 years as the King Of Love; Fleetwood Mac claim 21 years, and Save Me pushes a Greatest Hits album; Faith No More arrive from out of nowhere; The Beatles and The Stones are at 74 - sadly not an unheard duet, it’s a new track from House Of Love; Paul Young covers Congregation’s 1971 number 2 Softly Whispering I Love You, but where that was a passionate choral and rock blend, this one is a bit subdued, and the melody mucked about with. I’m fairly traditional when it comes to melody. If the notes aren’t the same, and in the same order, then it’s not the same song. Don’t get me going on the warbling singers who add an additional 20 notes, jazz stylee, where only one exists on the sheet music! Finally, Tol and Tol, a Dutch popchart hit, enters at 68, not sure where I heard it, but it’s not bad at all, and very much not fitting in with the production sounds of 1990. Hooray!

1 ( 2 ) THE POWER Snap!
2 ( 5 ) PERSONAL JESUS Depeche Mode
3 ( 3 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
4 ( 1 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
5 ( 7 ) VOGUE Madonna
6 ( 8 ) HEART OF STONE Cher
7 ( 4 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
8 ( 19 ) OPPOSITES ATTRACT Paula Abdul featuring The Wild Pair
9 ( 9 ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40
10 ( 14 ) DON’T WANNA FALL IN LOVE Jane Child

11 ( 6 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER (REMIX) Madonna
12 ( 10 ) ALL I WANNA DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU Heart
13 ( 38 ) REAL REAL REAL Jesus Jones
14 ( 12 ) STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER Candy Flip
15 ( 13 ) SACRIFICE Elton John
16 ( 11 ) BLUE SAVANNAH Erasure
17 ( 18 ) FAME ’90 David Bowie
18 ( 15 ) DANGEROUS Roxette
19 ( 16 ) NO MYTH Michael Penn
20 ( 22 ) ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE Jamtronik

21 ( 17 ) LILY WAS HERE David A. Stewart and Candy Dulfer
22 ( 35 ) THIS IS HOW IT FEELS The Inspiral Carpets
23 ( 33 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
24 ( NEW ) LOVE ME FOR LIFE Stevie B
25 ( 21 ) HERE WE ARE Gloria Estefan
26 ( 26 ) LOVE SHACK The B52’s
27 ( 28 ) GHETTO HEAVEN The Family Stand
28 ( 36 ) ALRIGHT Janet Jackson
29 ( 64 ) IT’S HERE Kim Wilde
30 ( 37 ) THE DEEPER THE LOVE Whitesnake

31 ( 45 ) EVERYBODY NEEDS SOMEBODY TO LOVE The Blues Brothers
32 ( 27 ) LOADED Primal Scream
33 ( 23 ) INFINITY (IT'S TIME FOR THE GURU) Guru Josh
34 ( 46 ) STEP ON The Happy Mondays
35 ( 24 ) LOVE WILL LEAD YOU BACK Taylor Dayne
36 ( 31 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
37 ( 51 ) SWEET AND LOW Deborah Harry
38 ( 49 ) WILD WOMEN DO Natalie Cole
39 ( 25 ) BAKER STREET (REMIX) Gerry Rafferty
40 ( 75 ) I’LL BE YOUR SHELTER Taylor Dayne

41 ( 20 ) BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL They Might Be Giants
42 ( 32 ) MADLY IN LOVE Bros
43 ( 50 ) WHOLE WIDE WORLD A’me Lorraine
44 ( 48 ) MAMA GAVE BIRTH TO THE SOUL CHILDREN Queen Latifah and De La Soul
45 ( 29 ) TWO TO MAKE IT RIGHT Seduction
46 ( 30 ) TOO LATE TO SAY GOODBYE Richard Marx
47 ( NEW ) RAG DOLL Aerosmith
48 ( 34 ) ALL MY LIFE Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville
49 ( NEW ) CAN’T SET RULES ABOUT LOVE Adam Ant
50 ( 42 ) NOTHING COMPARES 2 U Sinead O’Connor

51 ( 39 ) WHAT KIND OF MAN WOULD I BE Chicago
52 ( 55 ) I WANNA BE RICH Calloway
53 ( NEW ) DON’T MISS THE PARTYLINE Bizz Nizz
54 ( 52 ) JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES Cher
55 ( 58 ) HOW CAN WE BE LOVERS Michael Bolton
56 ( 71 ) THIS BEAT IS TECHNOTRONIC Technotronic featuring MC Eric
57 ( 61 ) I FOUND OUT The Christians
58 ( 40 ) ALL OR NOTHING Milli Vanilli
59 ( 44 ) DUB BE GOOD TO ME Beats International
60 ( 59 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles

61 ( 60 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
62 ( 41 ) EVERYTHING STARTS WITH AN E E Zee Possee
63 ( 43 ) ADVICE FOR THE YOUNG AT HEART Tears For Fears
64 ( 47 ) ROAM The B52’s
65 ( NEW ) FEVER The Associates
66 ( 66 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
67 ( 70 ) SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE Tears For Fears
68 ( NEW ) ELENI Tol And Tol
69 ( NEW ) KING OF LOVE Dave Edmunds
70 ( 53 ) DOWNTOWN TRAIN Rod Stewart

71 ( NEW ) SAVE ME Fleetwood Mac
72 ( NEW ) FROM OUT OF NOWHERE Faith No More
73 ( NEW ) SOFTLY WHISPERING I LOVE YOU Paul Young
74 ( NEW ) BEATLES AND THE STONES The House Of Love
75 ( 67 ) ALL AROUND THE WORLD Lisa Stansfield

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 4 2015, 07:22 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
23rd April 1990

Going back up, and all the way this time, the bluesy swamp-rock brilliant Black Velvet takes Alannah Myles to the top, leapfrogging Madonna, who’s left Voguing at 2, and presides over an all-female top 5. Jane Child is up to 3, Taylor Dayne’s big ballad also reverses as it’s released in the UK and shoots to a new peak of 4, and Cher breaks into the top 5 with her Heart Of Stone. Lower down, Kim Wilde, Wilson Philips and Family Stand all got top 20, and Faith No More rocket to 20, From Out Of Nowhere, frantic and exciting.

Highest new entry is the brilliant Dirty Cash, one of the great dance tracks of 1990 from the Adventures Of Stevie V. Fab. At 67, the very late but still great Jimi Hendrix, still charting 20 years after he died, with Crosstown Traffic. 20 years after it first charted, Hitchin’ A Ride is back for the third version (and the least) from Sinitta, just ahead of Sonia, and a couple of Madonna song titles from Salt ‘n’ Pepa and David Grant. Another borrowed song title from Sydney Youngblood at 75, wraps up a quiet week.

1 ( 7 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
2 ( 5 ) VOGUE Madonna
3 ( 10 ) DON’T WANNA FALL IN LOVE Jane Child
4 ( 35 ) LOVE WILL LEAD YOU BACK Taylor Dayne
5 ( 6 ) HEART OF STONE Cher
6 ( 1 ) THE POWER Snap!
7 ( 2 ) PERSONAL JESUS Depeche Mode
8 ( 8 ) OPPOSITES ATTRACT Paula Abdul featuring The Wild Pair
9 ( 9 ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40
10 ( 3 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson

11 ( 4 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
12 ( 12 ) ALL I WANNA DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU Heart
13 ( 13 ) REAL REAL REAL Jesus Jones
14 ( 23 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
15 ( 11 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER (REMIX) Madonna
16 ( 29 ) IT’S HERE Kim Wilde
17 ( 17 ) FAME ’90 David Bowie
18 ( 27 ) GHETTO HEAVEN The Family Stand
19 ( 15 ) SACRIFICE Elton John
20 ( 72 ) FROM OUT OF NOWHERE Faith No More

21 ( 16 ) BLUE SAVANNAH Erasure
22 ( 14 ) STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER Candy Flip
23 ( 28 ) ALRIGHT Janet Jackson
24 ( 21 ) LILY WAS HERE David A. Stewart and Candy Dulfer
25 ( 18 ) DANGEROUS Roxette
26 ( 40 ) I’LL BE YOUR SHELTER Taylor Dayne
27 ( 37 ) SWEET AND LOW Deborah Harry
28 ( 25 ) HERE WE ARE Gloria Estefan
29 ( 31 ) EVERYBODY NEEDS SOMEBODY TO LOVE The Blues Brothers
30 ( 19 ) NO MYTH Michael Penn

31 ( 26 ) LOVE SHACK The B52’s
32 ( 20 ) ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE Jamtronik
33 ( 38 ) WILD WOMEN DO Natalie Cole
34 ( 24 ) LOVE ME FOR LIFE Stevie B
35 ( 32 ) LOADED Primal Scream
36 ( 53 ) DON’T MISS THE PARTYLINE Bizz Nizz
37 ( 22 ) THIS IS HOW IT FEELS The Inspiral Carpets
38 ( 47 ) RAG DOLL Aerosmith
39 ( 36 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
40 ( 49 ) CAN’T SET RULES ABOUT LOVE Adam Ant

41 ( 33 ) INFINITY (IT'S TIME FOR THE GURU) Guru Josh
42 ( 34 ) STEP ON The Happy Mondays
43 ( 30 ) THE DEEPER THE LOVE Whitesnake
44 ( 68 ) ELENI Tol And Tol
45 ( 43 ) WHOLE WIDE WORLD A’me Lorraine
46 ( 39 ) BAKER STREET (REMIX) Gerry Rafferty
47 ( 56 ) THIS BEAT IS TECHNOTRONIC Technotronic featuring MC Eric
48 ( 42 ) MADLY IN LOVE Bros
49 ( 52 ) I WANNA BE RICH Calloway
50 ( 50 ) NOTHING COMPARES 2 U Sinead O’Connor

51 ( 41 ) BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL They Might Be Giants
52 ( 55 ) HOW CAN WE BE LOVERS Michael Bolton
53 ( 46 ) TOO LATE TO SAY GOODBYE Richard Marx
54 ( 54 ) JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES Cher
55 ( NEW ) DIRTY CASH Adventures Of Stevie V
56 ( 45 ) TWO TO MAKE IT RIGHT Seduction
57 ( 63 ) ADVICE FOR THE YOUNG AT HEART Tears For Fears
58 ( 48 ) ALL MY LIFE Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville
59 ( 51 ) WHAT KIND OF MAN WOULD I BE Chicago
60 ( 60 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles

61 ( 61 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
62 ( 44 ) MAMA GAVE BIRTH TO THE SOUL CHILDREN Queen Latifah and De La Soul
63 ( 71 ) SAVE ME Fleetwood Mac
64 ( 67 ) SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE Tears For Fears
65 ( 66 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
66 ( 59 ) DUB BE GOOD TO ME Beats International
67 ( NEW ) CROSSTOWN TRAFFIC The Jimi Hendrix Experience
68 ( NEW ) HITCHIN’ A RIDE Sinitta
69 ( NEW ) COUNTING EVERY MINUTE Sonia
70 ( 73 ) SOFTLY WHISPERING I LOVE YOU Paul Young

71 ( NEW ) EXPRESS YOURSELF Salt ‘n’ Pepa
72 ( NEW ) KEEP IT TOGETHER David Grant
73 ( 75 ) ALL AROUND THE WORLD Lisa Stansfield
74 ( NEW ) WHEN I SEE YOU SMILE Bad English
75 ( NEW ) I’D RATHER GO BLIND Sydney Youngblood

At the cinema this week in 1990: Look Who’s Talking with Kirstie Alley and John Travolta and the voice of Bruce Willis. Amusing movie about kids, which made me get all aaahhh about Vicki and Gavin so I showed them some of the recent Florida holiday slides on the projector screen till 10pm, which they loved. At work took Graham out on site-visits to help me survey stuff, got to know him well, getting on well too. Peter thrashed me 8-0 at squash, me so crappy, but fun. On TV? Comic Strip: 5 Go Mad In Dorset repeat, a fantastic amusing and accurate piss-take of Enid Blyton’s Famous Five, set locally.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 5 2015, 05:49 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
30th April 1990

Madonna gets her 8th chart-topper as she Vogues her way to the top classily and memorably name-checking classy ladies of the golden era of Hollywood, in one of her best dance records. Heart go back up and grab a 3rd Top 5 single with the fab All I Wanna Do Is make Love To you, Wilson Philips say Hold On a mo at 9, Adam Ant gets a decade of top 40 hits, and David Grant a decade of Top 75 (starting with Linx).

Highest new entry is Seal debuting with his classic killer thumping dance track - actually it says Adamski on the label, but the brilliance is at least owed as much to Seal as it is to Adamski, so he gets a well-deserved credit from me. It was an advance in dance, and still sounds classic where most dance records of 1990 just sound horribly dated. Another that hasn’t aged a jot is at 31, as Dirty Cash - money talks indeed - leaps upwards. Eurythmics are charting at 38 with an Angel - this one presumably not playing with my heart, though, being much more low-key. Soul II Soul shuffle on back at 39 as they cover Les Miserables I Dreamed A Dream. Actually (and happily) not true, this one’s way better, A Dream’s A Dream. 9 years on and Kid Creole is playing with his Coconuts again, ooh, no missus, titter ye not at the Sex Of It. Naughty naughty Monsieur Creole, says Francis. Sorry, had a Frankie Howard moment there..

At 49, Chris Rea returns with yet another great (albeit minor) track off The Road To Hell, Texas. It even has a slide guitar. Distant Cousins follow-up there chart-topping singles flop in the real world, and wear their heart on their sleeve: Boo Hoo Hoo at the injustice, in at 52. Billy Idol has a Cradle of Love at 60, which means 11 years of hits since Generation X had that King Rocker, and entering quietly at 65 it’s Kylie back, with a new dance sound, a new sexy image and a classic pop record that set her on the road to another 25 years of fame and pop brilliance: Better The Devil You Know showed Stock Aitken Waterman still could do great pop, and hinted at a bit of an image hand from her popstar boyfriend Michael Hutchence of INXS. Fab.

Elsewhere: Lisa Stansfield’s back, Norman Cook covers his own minor hit as Beats International, Bruce Dickinson has a solo non-Iron Maiden entry, Morrissey is busy spawning monsters, and All About Eve are turning a bit Scarlet.

1 ( 2 ) VOGUE Madonna
2 ( 1 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
3 ( 3 ) DON’T WANNA FALL IN LOVE Jane Child
4 ( 4 ) LOVE WILL LEAD YOU BACK Taylor Dayne
5 ( 12 ) ALL I WANNA DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU Heart
6 ( 8 ) OPPOSITES ATTRACT Paula Abdul featuring The Wild Pair
7 ( 9 ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40
8 ( 6 ) THE POWER Snap!
9 ( 14 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
10 ( 7 ) PERSONAL JESUS Depeche Mode

11 ( 13 ) REAL REAL REAL Jesus Jones
12 ( 5 ) HEART OF STONE Cher
13 ( 18 ) GHETTO HEAVEN The Family Stand
14 ( 11 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
15 ( 10 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
16 ( 20 ) FROM OUT OF NOWHERE Faith No More
17 ( 16 ) IT’S HERE Kim Wilde
18 ( 15 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER (REMIX) Madonna
19 ( 23 ) ALRIGHT Janet Jackson
20 ( 19 ) SACRIFICE Elton John

21 ( 33 ) WILD WOMEN DO Natalie Cole
22 ( 21 ) BLUE SAVANNAH Erasure
23 ( 31 ) LOVE SHACK The B52’s
24 ( 38 ) RAG DOLL Aerosmith
25 ( 25 ) DANGEROUS Roxette
26 ( 40 ) CAN’T SET RULES ABOUT LOVE Adam Ant
27 ( 17 ) FAME ’90 David Bowie
28 ( NEW ) KILLER Adamski featuring Seal
29 ( 36 ) DON’T MISS THE PARTYLINE Bizz Nizz
30 ( 22 ) STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER Candy Flip

31 ( 55 ) DIRTY CASH Adventures Of Stevie V
32 ( 28 ) HERE WE ARE Gloria Estefan
33 ( RE ) BODYGUARD The Bee Gees
34 ( 48 ) MADLY IN LOVE Bros
35 ( 26 ) I’LL BE YOUR SHELTER Taylor Dayne
36 ( 24 ) LILY WAS HERE David A. Stewart and Candy Dulfer
37 ( 35 ) LOADED Primal Scream
38 ( NEW ) ANGEL Eurythmics
39 ( NEW ) A DREAM’S A DREAM Soul II Soul
40 ( NEW ) THE SEX OF IT Kid Creole And The Coconuts

41 ( 39 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
42 ( 30 ) NO MYTH Michael Penn
43 ( 27 ) SWEET AND LOW Deborah Harry
44 ( 53 ) TOO LATE TO SAY GOODBYE Richard Marx
45 ( 68 ) HITCHIN’ A RIDE Sinitta
46 ( 43 ) THE DEEPER THE LOVE Whitesnake
47 ( NEW ) TOMORROW Tongue ‘n’ Cheek
48 ( 34 ) LOVE ME FOR LIFE Stevie B
49 ( NEW ) TEXAS Chris Rea
50 ( 29 ) EVERYBODY NEEDS SOMEBODY TO LOVE The Blues Brothers

51 ( 32 ) ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE Jamtronik
52 ( NEW ) BOO HOO HOO Distant Cousins
53 ( 37 ) THIS IS HOW IT FEELS The Inspiral Carpets
54 ( 72 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER David Grant
55 ( 67 ) CROSSTOWN TRAFFIC The Jimi Hendrix Experience
56 ( 54 ) JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES Cher
57 ( 46 ) BAKER STREET (REMIX) Gerry Rafferty
58 ( 50 ) NOTHING COMPARES 2 U Sinead O’Connor
59 ( 47 ) THIS BEAT IS TECHNOTRONIC Technotronic featuring MC Eric
60 ( NEW ) CRADLE OF LOVE Billy Idol

61 ( 60 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
62 ( 42 ) STEP ON The Happy Mondays
63 ( 41 ) INFINITY (IT'S TIME FOR THE GURU) Guru Josh
64 ( 61 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
65 ( NEW ) BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW Kylie Minogue
66 ( 65 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
67 ( 64 ) SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE Tears For Fears
68 ( RE ) PICTURES OF YOU The Cure
69 ( 57 ) ADVICE FOR THE YOUNG AT HEART Tears For Fears
70 ( NEW ) WHAT DID I DO FOR YOU Lisa Stansfield

71 ( NEW ) TATTOOED MILLIONAIRE Bruce Dickinson
72 ( NEW ) WON’T TALK ABOUT IT Beats International
73 ( 56 ) TWO TO MAKE IT RIGHT Seduction
74 ( NEW ) NOVEMBER SPAWNED A MONSTER Morrissey
75 ( NEW ) SCARLET All About Eve

On TV: Top Of The Pops, French And Saunders, Cheers, Roseanne, Aspel, and classic golden oldie movie The Philadelphia Story.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 9 2015, 08:00 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

6th May 1990

Yet another new one weeker as Jane Child brings her US hit into the UK charts in a minor way, but as Florida holiday memory it sounded great to me, Don’t Wanna Fall In Love. Adamski and Seal shoot up to 3 with a Killer of a tune, Heart sneak up to 4, and UB40 get 10 years of top 5 entries. Bros’ career is in it’s dying throws, but reach a peak on my charts as the rather decent Madly In Love hits 8, and Faith No More just miss out on the top 10, From Out Of Nowhere.

Dirty Cash enters the top 20, as Kylie prefers the Devil she knows and rockets up to 18 in no time at all, and The Bee Gees have their Bodyguard assist them to 20. Into the 40, Chris Rea drives from Texas, the B52’s Roam on back to re-enter at 31 as their Love Shack falls down to 32, and Beats International cover Norman Cook (how convenient!) and then Won’t Talk About It. How rude!

Highest new entry is Dusty Springfield and the fab Reputation at 46 - not Pet Shop Boys this time, but a good single from a terrific new album. Gloria Estefan, like Dusty, is following up some number ones, and drops by at 48, as it Cuts Both Ways. Marc Almond thinks on The Desperate Hours as he clocks in at 53, for 9 years of chart success, and Phil Collins is on his way to Heaven at 56 for an even longer 9 year run if you count Genesis - then it’ll be 16 years since I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe). Fleetwood Mac are in at 59 with Save Me, and that’ll be 14 years of the classic Mac line-up, or 22 years if you count Albatross. Which I do. At 75, Depeche Mode keep the resurgence strong as Policy Of Truth keeps the run running at 9 years. 1981 was a busy year for new acts....!

1 ( 3 ) DON’T WANNA FALL IN LOVE Jane Child
2 ( 1 ) VOGUE Madonna
3 ( 28 ) KILLER Adamski featuring Seal
4 ( 5 ) ALL I WANNA DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU Heart
5 ( 7 ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40
6 ( 2 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
7 ( 9 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
8 ( 34 ) MADLY IN LOVE Bros
9 ( 4 ) LOVE WILL LEAD YOU BACK Taylor Dayne
10 ( 6 ) OPPOSITES ATTRACT Paula Abdul featuring The Wild Pair

11 ( 16 ) FROM OUT OF NOWHERE Faith No More
12 ( 11 ) REAL REAL REAL Jesus Jones
13 ( 8 ) THE POWER Snap!
14 ( 10 ) PERSONAL JESUS Depeche Mode
15 ( 13 ) GHETTO HEAVEN The Family Stand
16 ( 31 ) DIRTY CASH Adventures Of Stevie V
17 ( 15 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
18 ( 65 ) BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW Kylie Minogue
19 ( 14 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
20 ( 33 ) BODYGUARD The Bee Gees

21 ( 12 ) HEART OF STONE Cher
22 ( 17 ) IT’S HERE Kim Wilde
23 ( 20 ) SACRIFICE Elton John
24 ( 19 ) ALRIGHT Janet Jackson
25 ( 22 ) BLUE SAVANNAH Erasure
26 ( 49 ) TEXAS Chris Rea
27 ( 18 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER (REMIX) Madonna
28 ( 39 ) A DREAM’S A DREAM Soul II Soul
29 ( 47 ) TOMORROW Tongue ‘n’ Cheek
30 ( 45 ) HITCHIN’ A RIDE Sinitta

31 ( RE ) ROAM The B52’s
32 ( 23 ) LOVE SHACK The B52’s
33 ( 21 ) WILD WOMEN DO Natalie Cole
34 ( 38 ) ANGEL Eurythmics
35 ( 72 ) WON’T TALK ABOUT IT Beats International
36 ( 37 ) LOADED Primal Scream
37 ( 25 ) DANGEROUS Roxette
38 ( 30 ) STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER Candy Flip
39 ( 59 ) THIS BEAT IS TECHNOTRONIC Technotronic featuring MC Eric
40 ( 40 ) THE SEX OF IT Kid Creole And The Coconuts

41 ( 27 ) FAME ’90 David Bowie
42 ( 32 ) HERE WE ARE Gloria Estefan
43 ( 62 ) STEP ON The Happy Mondays
44 ( 41 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
45 ( 54 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER David Grant
46 ( NEW ) REPUTATION Dusty Springfield
47 ( 60 ) CRADLE OF LOVE Billy Idol
48 ( NEW ) CUTS BOTH WAYS Gloria Estefan
49 ( 36 ) LILY WAS HERE David A. Stewart and Candy Dulfer
50 ( 24 ) RAG DOLL Aerosmith

51 ( 35 ) I’LL BE YOUR SHELTER Taylor Dayne
52 ( 52 ) BOO HOO HOO Distant Cousins
53 ( NEW ) THE DESPERATE HOURS Marc Almond
54 ( 26 ) CAN’T SET RULES ABOUT LOVE Adam Ant
55 ( 44 ) TOO LATE TO SAY GOODBYE Richard Marx
56 ( NEW ) SOMETHING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO HEAVEN Phil Collins
57 ( 42 ) NO MYTH Michael Penn
58 ( 56 ) JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES Cher
59 ( NEW ) SAVE ME Fleetwood Mac
60 ( RE ) HOW CAN WE BE LOVERS Michael Bolton

61 ( 29 ) DON’T MISS THE PARTYLINE Bizz Nizz
62 ( 61 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
63 ( 70 ) WHAT DID I DO FOR YOU Lisa Stansfield
64 ( NEW ) I’D RATHER GO BLIND Sydney Youngblood
65 ( NEW ) DIRTY MIND Shakespear’s Sister
66 ( 58 ) NOTHING COMPARES 2 U Sinead O’Connor
67 ( 66 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
68 ( NEW ) BETTER WORLD Rebel MC
69 ( 67 ) SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE Tears For Fears
70 ( 46 ) THE DEEPER THE LOVE Whitesnake

71 ( 71 ) TATTOOED MILLIONAIRE Bruce Dickinson
72 ( 51 ) ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE Jamtronik
73 ( 64 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
74 ( 74 ) NOVEMBER SPAWNED A MONSTER Morrissey
75 ( NEW ) POLICY OF TRUTH Depeche Mode

At work, I was doing overtime to try and meet deadlines preparing tendering contracts, and that meant surveying parks and gardens, drawing up plans and measuring areas. No pressure no stress...not. Played squash. Lost. The weather continued to be scorching, and we had a work jolly to Bristol for contracts work-stuff conference, where I bumped into John, our ex-team-mate now back in Wales. It was great to see him again, and catch up for long chat over dinner, and to meet the interesting people on the course all preparing for monitoring roles in local government.

I took my mum to see Glen Campbell Live In Concert on Saturday 4th May at Bournemouth Pavilion, as Glen commented the town was swarming with Leeds United drunken rioting fans. Not the welcome he was expecting! Glen was witty and engaging as ever, and in the middle of a career lull really, but he had the back catalogue and nostalgia from me for his fantastic back catalogue from when I was a huge pre-teen fan of his. He promptly went into them all, Wichita Lineman through Rhinestone Cowboy leaving the second half for some obscure country stuff, enlivened by the track that caused his split with Capitol records, Highwayman. Worse, he then did a batch of covers of other peoples songs, even having bagpipes for Mull Of Kintyre (Scottish roots of course). His guitar playing impressed throughout, but his backing band were a bit pedestrian, and his choice of material suspect. I count my blessings I caught him again 15 and 20 years later when he was suffering from alzheimer’s and promoting fantastic new material as well as the re-born classics, it was a very different experience.

Just to be greedy I had another concert: Heart Live at Bournemouth International Centre 5th May 1990 (with Thunder). Bob, Jason and I went into Thunder, who had a classic rock Led Zep/Free groove to them which came over very well, I thought, despite a lack of great songs. “I think they could be big” I opined. Well, they did do well in the 90’s as it turned out, if not quite Big. Heart, sadly were pretty dull for 45 minutes, suffering from the usual pop star curse: “let’s plug the new album and get the audience to pay us to hear it”. If you have a great new album this can be electric, if you have a plodding new album, it tends to be yawnsome. The last half hour had all the big hits, though, so the saving grace was encore tracks Never and What About Love, and great singles Alone, All I Wanna Do and These Dreams. I felt the band were just going through the pedestrian motions though, overall, despite liking the Wilson sisters a lot.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 10 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
13th May 1990

Killer is on top, Adamski and the very unfairly uncredited Seal - at least until he re-recorded his own (less-good) version. One of the classic tracks of 1990, without doubt, it still sounds fresh and throbbingly exciting, and Seal’s vocals are fantastic. Adamski never really managed a career, but happily Seal had some classic stuff ahead. Shooting up to 3 it’s Chris Rea’s highest charting record, Texas (and one of his very minor hits) which had a widescreen twangy guitar charm for me, though since overtaken in my affections by Tell Me There’s A Heaven and Driving Home For Christmas. The fabulous Ghetto Heaven and even more fabulous Dirty Cash (Money Talks) bot go top 10, and Beats International top 20.

David Grant, Michael Bolton, Billy Idol and Gloria Estefan all make a break for the 40, as the highest new entry is from Sam Brown at 35, back hoping someone will meet her at the Kissing Gate. How very rural, how very sweet. The Pasadenas are also back with a Love Thing at 57, while the even more funky En Vogue debut at 74 with Hold On. That leaves last week’s in concert band Thunder sneaking in with Back Street Symphony at 65, and Betty Boo debuting at 63 with the very fun-tastic Doin’ The Do. Had copyright not been an issue she would have had an extra, more credible, “p” to hang on at the end of the Boo. Betty Boop is still selling, bizarrely, considering the ancient cartoons haven’t been seen in decades anywhere, especially in Universal Studios Theme Parks merchandise.

1 ( 3 ) KILLER Adamski featuring Seal
2 ( 1 ) DON’T WANNA FALL IN LOVE Jane Child
3 ( 26 ) TEXAS Chris Rea
4 ( 2 ) VOGUE Madonna
5 ( 7 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
6 ( 6 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
7 ( 4 ) ALL I WANNA DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU Heart
8 ( 5 ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40
9 ( 16 ) DIRTY CASH Adventures Of Stevie V
10 ( 15 ) GHETTO HEAVEN The Family Stand

11 ( 8 ) MADLY IN LOVE Bros
12 ( 18 ) BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW Kylie Minogue
13 ( 13 ) THE POWER Snap!
14 ( 14 ) PERSONAL JESUS Depeche Mode
15 ( 20 ) BODYGUARD The Bee Gees
16 ( 17 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
17 ( 9 ) LOVE WILL LEAD YOU BACK Taylor Dayne
18 ( 10 ) OPPOSITES ATTRACT Paula Abdul featuring The Wild Pair
19 ( 12 ) REAL REAL REAL Jesus Jones
20 ( 35 ) WON’T TALK ABOUT IT Beats International

21 ( 11 ) FROM OUT OF NOWHERE Faith No More
22 ( 31 ) ROAM The B52’s
23 ( 28 ) A DREAM’S A DREAM Soul II Soul
24 ( 19 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
25 ( 25 ) BLUE SAVANNAH Erasure
26 ( 23 ) SACRIFICE Elton John
27 ( 36 ) LOADED Primal Scream
28 ( 24 ) ALRIGHT Janet Jackson
29 ( 39 ) THIS BEAT IS TECHNOTRONIC Technotronic featuring MC Eric
30 ( 30 ) HITCHIN’ A RIDE Sinitta

31 ( 21 ) HEART OF STONE Cher
32 ( 34 ) ANGEL Eurythmics
33 ( 27 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER (REMIX) Madonna
34 ( 45 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER David Grant
35 ( NEW ) KISSING GATE Sam Brown
36 ( 32 ) LOVE SHACK The B52’s
37 ( 22 ) IT’S HERE Kim Wilde
38 ( 60 ) HOW CAN WE BE LOVERS Michael Bolton
39 ( 47 ) CRADLE OF LOVE Billy Idol
40 ( 48 ) CUTS BOTH WAYS Gloria Estefan

41 ( 29 ) TOMORROW Tongue ‘n’ Cheek
42 ( 46 ) REPUTATION Dusty Springfield
43 ( 42 ) HERE WE ARE Gloria Estefan
44 ( 37 ) DANGEROUS Roxette
45 ( 53 ) THE DESPERATE HOURS Marc Almond
46 ( 44 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
47 ( 56 ) SOMETHING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO HEAVEN Phil Collins
48 ( 38 ) STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER Candy Flip
49 ( 59 ) SAVE ME Fleetwood Mac
50 ( 68 ) BETTER WORLD Rebel MC

51 ( 74 ) NOVEMBER SPAWNED A MONSTER Morrissey
52 ( 41 ) FAME ’90 David Bowie
53 ( 33 ) WILD WOMEN DO Natalie Cole
54 ( 63 ) WHAT DID I DO FOR YOU Lisa Stansfield
55 ( 64 ) I’D RATHER GO BLIND Sydney Youngblood
56 ( 58 ) JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES Cher
57 ( NEW ) LOVE THING The Pasadenas
58 ( NEW ) USE IT UP AND WEAR IT OUT Pat & Mick
59 ( 43 ) STEP ON The Happy Mondays
60 ( NEW ) BAKERMAN Laid Back

61 ( 57 ) NO MYTH Michael Penn
62 ( 62 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
63 ( NEW ) DOIN’ THE DO Betty Boo
64 ( 49 ) LILY WAS HERE David A. Stewart and Candy Dulfer
65 ( NEW ) BACK STREET SYMPHONY Thunder
66 ( 73 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
67 ( RE ) SOFTLY WHISPERING I LOVE YOU Paul Young
68 ( 67 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
69 ( 69 ) SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE Tears For Fears
70 ( 70 ) THE DEEPER THE LOVE Whitesnake

71 ( 55 ) TOO LATE TO SAY GOODBYE Richard Marx
72 ( 75 ) POLICY OF TRUTH Depeche Mode
73 ( 40 ) THE SEX OF IT Kid Creole And The Coconuts
74 ( NEW ) HOLD ON En Vogue
75 ( 51 ) I’LL BE YOUR SHELTER Taylor Dayne

Working on the Bank Holiday Monday, and then the deadline pressures eased, with relief for a relatively mellow week at work. The hot weather ended, and on TV I was watching MASH, Dallas, The Comic Strip Presents, I Love Lucy, Top Of The Pops, Cheers, LA Law, The Invaders and Get Smart. My music charts were diverting quite a bit from the UK singles chart, as I was still much in USA Florida music mode.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 11 2015, 01:02 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
20th May 1990

Another week another new chart-topper, this time it’s Wilson Phillips great Hold On, a very Californian-sounding ballad in the tradition of their musical families, and one which had a new lease of life in recent years thanks to hit comedy movie Bridesmaids. My charts were still absolutely dominated by Florida-holiday hits bringing back fond recent memories, but also just because the US pop music scene was more to my taste than the more one-off faceless dance acts that were making UK chart inroads. Kylie’s classic Better The Devil You Know goes top 5, and single-handedly changed my overall opinion of Kylie, now more saucy, and with better songs, starting to look more long-term than her previous pre-teen appeal had suggested.

Beats International make it 2 top 10’s in a row, and Janet Jackson gets another to add to her total, as Alright keeps the rhythm nation dancing. Highest new entry at 12 is previous minor 1984 hit It’s My Life from Talk Talk, now sounding much more substantial in the 1990 music scene, and just keeping ahead of Dusty Springfield’s reputation - which is pretty high! The B52’s Roam at last goes top 20 again, while Michael Bolton also hits the 20 - one I conveniently mis-remembered liking that much. How Can We Be Lovers? Get a haircut and stop shouting, for a start...! The Pasadenas and Depeche Mode both hit top 40 under the new policy of truth, while another great film hit pops in - Roxette’s It Must Have Been Love enters at 34, from Pretty Woman. At 35, Propaganda are Claudia-less, and the Kim Wilde-alike replacement singer for Heaven Give Me Words is fine, though they should have called it Turn To Stone as that’s the track I was searching for weeks for, after hearing it on Florida radio. Found it in the end.

At 43, The Chimes debut with a fantastic cover of U2’s I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, all soulful and slowed, with a great vocal by soon-to-be-solo singer Pauline Henry, and at 44 Erasure have a Star. Blow Monkeys also return with a new song, Springtime For The World, a positive sound and message (equality, gay and otherwise) which didn’t quite register, the band also need more youtube hits I say, under-rated. At 62 the terrific blues-revival wailing guitar sounds of Gary Moore, who’s Still Got The Blues 11 years on from his Parisenne Walkway, and finally Black Box are Everybody at 66, while Joan Armatrading states there’s more than one kind of love (oh yes there is) at 74 14 years since she showed us her marvelous love and affection.

1 ( 5 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
2 ( 2 ) DON’T WANNA FALL IN LOVE Jane Child
3 ( 3 ) TEXAS Chris Rea
4 ( 1 ) KILLER Adamski featuring Seal
5 ( 12 ) BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW Kylie Minogue
6 ( 4 ) VOGUE Madonna
7 ( 7 ) ALL I WANNA DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU Heart
8 ( 9 ) DIRTY CASH Adventures Of Stevie V
9 ( 20 ) WON’T TALK ABOUT IT Beats International
10 ( 28 ) ALRIGHT Janet Jackson

11 ( 15 ) BODYGUARD The Bee Gees
12 ( NEW ) IT’S MY LIFE Talk Talk
13 ( 42 ) REPUTATION Dusty Springfield
14 ( 6 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
15 ( 8 ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40
16 ( 13 ) THE POWER Snap!
17 ( 22 ) ROAM The B52’s
18 ( 38 ) HOW CAN WE BE LOVERS Michael Bolton
19 ( 17 ) LOVE WILL LEAD YOU BACK Taylor Dayne
20 ( 16 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson

21 ( 18 ) OPPOSITES ATTRACT Paula Abdul featuring The Wild Pair
22 ( 10 ) GHETTO HEAVEN The Family Stand
23 ( 11 ) MADLY IN LOVE Bros
24 ( 14 ) PERSONAL JESUS Depeche Mode
25 ( 35 ) KISSING GATE Sam Brown
26 ( 57 ) LOVE THING The Pasadenas
27 ( 72 ) POLICY OF TRUTH Depeche Mode
28 ( 24 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
29 ( 26 ) SACRIFICE Elton John
30 ( 19 ) REAL REAL REAL Jesus Jones

31 ( 21 ) FROM OUT OF NOWHERE Faith No More
32 ( 32 ) ANGEL Eurythmics
33 ( 23 ) A DREAM’S A DREAM Soul II Soul
34 ( NEW ) IT MUST HAVE BEEN LOVE Roxette
35 ( NEW ) HEAVEN GIVE ME WORDS Propaganda
36 ( 47 ) SOMETHING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO HEAVEN Phil Collins
37 ( 25 ) BLUE SAVANNAH Erasure
38 ( 40 ) CUTS BOTH WAYS Gloria Estefan
39 ( NEW ) VENUS Don Pablo’s Animals
40 ( 54 ) WHAT DID I DO FOR YOU Lisa Stansfield

41 ( 27 ) LOADED Primal Scream
42 ( 33 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER (REMIX) Madonna
43 ( NEW ) I STILL HAVEN’T FOUND WHAT I’M LOOKING FOR The Chimes
44 ( NEW ) STAR Erasure
45 ( 36 ) LOVE SHACK The B52’s
46 ( 43 ) HERE WE ARE Gloria Estefan
47 ( 31 ) HEART OF STONE Cher
48 ( 29 ) THIS BEAT IS TECHNOTRONIC Technotronic featuring MC Eric
49 ( NEW ) SPRINGTIME FOR THE WORLD Blow Monkeys
50 ( 46 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode

51 ( 44 ) DANGEROUS Roxette
52 ( 63 ) DOIN’ THE DO Betty Boo
53 ( 30 ) HITCHIN’ A RIDE Sinitta
54 ( 41 ) TOMORROW Tongue ‘n’ Cheek
55 ( 56 ) JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES Cher
56 ( NEW ) CIRCLESQUARE The Wonder Stuff
57 ( 34 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER David Grant
58 ( 67 ) SOFTLY WHISPERING I LOVE YOU Paul Young
59 ( 37 ) IT’S HERE Kim Wilde
60 ( 74 ) HOLD ON En Vogue

61 ( NEW ) JUST A FRIEND Biz Markie
62 ( NEW ) STILL GOT THE BLUES Gary Moore
63 ( 62 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
64 ( 48 ) STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER Candy Flip
65 ( 65 ) BACK STREET SYMPHONY Thunder
66 ( NEW ) EVERYBODY EVERYBODY Black Box
67 ( 66 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
68 ( 60 ) BAKERMAN Laid Back
69 ( 61 ) NO MYTH Michael Penn
70 ( 68 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac

71 ( 52 ) FAME ’90 David Bowie
72 ( 69 ) SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE Tears For Fears
73 ( NEW ) GIVE IT UP Hothouse Flowers
74 ( NEW ) MORE THAN ONE KIND OF LOVE Joan Armatrading
75 ( 39 ) CRADLE OF LOVE Billy Idol

At work Chris left, as everyone found out he’d be going out with Cathy for some time. The leaving do was in Pumphreys, work colleagues all present, plus Lucy came back from Christchurch Council for the evening drinks, great to see her. The music got louder, the fag smoke gave me a sore throat and so I left at 10, everyone else very merry by then, or left. On saturday I rather naughtily caught some baby river fish fry from the River Stour in a jar and took them home for my pond - not at all suitable for ponds, and they got rather large rather quickly, till they started trying to exit the pond when grown up and the remainder got eaten by a bast*rd heron along with my mature goldfish a few years later. I watched The Thin Man and The Cat And The Canary, classic old Hollywood movies you never see on TV anymore. Modern kids can’t handle black and white movies, apparently. Sod ‘em, I say they’re great films.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 12 2015, 09:09 AM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
27th May 1990

The revolving door on top keeps spinning as the first 80’s oldie to top my chart in the 90’s hits the top spot 6 years late, Talk Talk’s fab It’s My Life has a climb from 14 as it becomes a bigger UK singles chart hit than it was in 1984. Kylie hits 4 and a new to-date best chart peak for Kylie, apart from the Jason Donovan duet Especially For You which hit 2. Dusty gets a 4th top 10 in a row, and 6th in total since 1968, her reputation improves with age. B52’s roam up to 10, too, their second top 10 of the year and third in total in 11 years of chart entries.

Depeche make it 3 top 20’s in a row, 4 if you count Personal Jesus having 2 chart runs, while highest new entry is in at 16 for Was (Not Was), back with a new soulful lead singer, and their 3rd top 20 in 6 years with The Temptations classic Papa Was A Rolling Stone, only 3 years since it was a dance remixed top 10 for the Temps, more of the template for this funked reworking than the original epic soul ballad version. Talking of covers, Don Pablo’s Animals sort of cover Shocking Blue’s Venus instrumental riff dance stylee at 17, after entering at 39 last week.

Into the 40 goes Gary Moore, Betty Boo, The Chimes, Erasure and En Vogue, while new at 55 it’s New Order and some England Football Squad rap and vocal interjections. Despite that World In Motion is still one of the best football World Cup records. Not that there was a lot of competition prior to this one, but this one opened up the pop floodgates for the obligatory World Cup popstar/football crossovers every 4 years. At 58 Debbie Harry’s back again, Maybe For Sure, 9 years of solo chart entries and 12 with Blondie, while at 64 a classical sample from Erik Satie’s 19th century Les Trois Gymnopedies, an ambient music pioneer, is apparently the basis for Movement 98 (that’s the bpm) and a soulgroove fusion Joy And Heartbreak.

In at 65 the brilliant The Only One I Know from The Charlatans, one of the key tracks of the growing indie band scene, or Madchester, or whatever label was applied it was a great 60’s retro organ-flavoured poprock shuffle. In at 70, follow to a quirky Birdhouse, the equally quirky history lesson from They Might Be Giants, Istanbul (Not Constantinople). I love whimsy, it’s under-rated. At 71, Stevie Wonder’s Until You Come Back To Me gets yet another cover, from Miki Howard, but none will ever beat Aretha’s. Finally a couple of minor follow-up’s from Mantronix and New Kids On The Block nip in briefly for a week in the 70’s.

1 ( 12 ) IT’S MY LIFE Talk Talk
2 ( 1 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
3 ( 2 ) DON’T WANNA FALL IN LOVE Jane Child
4 ( 5 ) BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW Kylie Minogue
5 ( 3 ) TEXAS Chris Rea
6 ( 9 ) WON’T TALK ABOUT IT Beats International
7 ( 4 ) KILLER Adamski featuring Seal
8 ( 8 ) DIRTY CASH Adventures Of Stevie V
9 ( 13 ) REPUTATION Dusty Springfield
10 ( 17 ) ROAM The B52’s

11 ( 11 ) BODYGUARD The Bee Gees
12 ( 10 ) ALRIGHT Janet Jackson
13 ( 7 ) ALL I WANNA DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU Heart
14 ( 27 ) THE POLICY OF TRUTH Depeche Mode
15 ( 6 ) VOGUE Madonna
16 ( NEW ) PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE Was (Not Was)
17 ( 39 ) VENUS Don Pablo’s Animals
18 ( 18 ) HOW CAN WE BE LOVERS Michael Bolton
19 ( 25 ) KISSING GATE Sam Brown
20 ( 14 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles

21 ( 20 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
22 ( 16 ) THE POWER Snap!
23 ( 22 ) GHETTO HEAVEN The Family Stand
24 ( 15 ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40
25 ( 62 ) STILL GOT THE BLUES Gary Moore
26 ( 26 ) LOVE THING The Pasadenas
27 ( 52 ) DOIN’ THE DO Betty Boo
28 ( 24 ) PERSONAL JESUS Depeche Mode
29 ( 19 ) LOVE WILL LEAD YOU BACK Taylor Dayne
30 ( 40 ) WHAT DID I DO FOR YOU Lisa Stansfield

31 ( 28 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
32 ( 34 ) IT MUST HAVE BEEN LOVE Roxette
33 ( 23 ) MADLY IN LOVE Bros
34 ( 29 ) SACRIFICE Elton John
35 ( 43 ) I STILL HAVEN’T FOUND WHAT I’M LOOKING FOR The Chimes
36 ( 21 ) OPPOSITES ATTRACT Paula Abdul featuring The Wild Pair
37 ( 44 ) STAR Erasure
38 ( 60 ) HOLD ON En Vogue
39 ( 32 ) ANGEL Eurythmics
40 ( 33 ) A DREAM’S A DREAM Soul II Soul

41 ( 30 ) REAL REAL REAL Jesus Jones
42 ( 37 ) BLUE SAVANNAH Erasure
43 ( 66 ) EVERYBODY EVERYBODY Black Box
44 ( 31 ) FROM OUT OF NOWHERE Faith No More
45 ( 38 ) CUTS BOTH WAYS Gloria Estefan
46 ( 41 ) LOADED Primal Scream
47 ( 49 ) SPRINGTIME FOR THE WORLD Blow Monkeys
48 ( 36 ) SOMETHING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO HEAVEN Phil Collins
49 ( 46 ) HERE WE ARE Gloria Estefan
50 ( 45 ) LOVE SHACK The B52’s

51 ( 55 ) JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES Cher
52 ( 50 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
53 ( 35 ) HEAVEN GIVE ME WORDS Propaganda
54 ( 42 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER (REMIX) Madonna
55 ( NEW ) WORLD IN MOTION England New Order
56 ( 48 ) THIS BEAT IS TECHNOTRONIC Technotronic featuring MC Eric
57 ( 58 ) SOFTLY WHISPERING I LOVE YOU Paul Young
58 ( NEW ) MAYBE FOR SURE Deborah Harry
59 ( 47 ) HEART OF STONE Cher
60 ( 61 ) JUST A FRIEND Biz Markie

61 ( 54 ) TOMORROW Tongue ‘n’ Cheek
62 ( 51 ) DANGEROUS Roxette
63 ( 63 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
64 ( NEW ) JOY AND HEARTBREAK Movement 98 featuring Carroll Thompson
65 ( NEW ) THE ONLY ONE I KNOW The Charlatans
66 ( 73 ) GIVE IT UP Hothouse Flowers
67 ( 59 ) IT’S HERE Kim Wilde
68 ( 67 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
69 ( 70 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
70 ( NEW ) ISTANBUL (NOT CONSTANTINOPLE) They Might Be Giants

71 ( NEW ) UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME Miki Howard
72 ( 72 ) SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE Tears For Fears
73 ( NEW ) TAKE YOUR TIME Mantronix featuring Wondress
74 ( 56 ) CIRCLESQUARE The Wonder Stuff
75 ( NEW ) COVER GIRL New Kids On The Block

I was having car problems, my Metro was only a few years old but they stopped producing them once everyone realised they were crap and went rusty at the drop of a hat. On the plus side, Radio One went FM, it was Ab Fab being able to listen to current music without it fading in and out, and sounding generally rubbish. It only took the BBC 23 years to get round to it, no need to rush, 23 years isn’t a long time when you’re 9 years old is it? I played Peter at Badminton for a change, and I actually won. Shock!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 19 2015, 08:05 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
3rd June 1990

2 weeks on top for Talk Talk, well, It’s My chartLife! Dirty Cash grooves brilliantly to 4, and Dusty gets a 4th consecutive top 5 hit, though a hat-trick of previous chart-toppers is a lot to live up to, but she’s got the Reputation if anyone has. In at 6, it’s a 25-year-old Beach Boys summer classic that has popped up on B Sides before, but never charted in it’s own right, and Wouldn’t It Be Nice if it entered at 6? Good, cos it has, giving them 22 years of chart action and another top 10 to add to the lengthening list. Astoundingly, it’s also the first track from the classic album Pet Sounds to make my charts (even allowing for the fact that it predates my charts by 2 years). “Classic” is an over-used word these days, but by any standard Pet Sounds IS Classic with a capital C. It was so groundbreaking that it spurred The Beatles on to up their game to put one over on their main creative rivals of the time - and that led to a little album that quietly slipped out called Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. The Bee Gees were also in my first ever chart along with the Beach Boys, and The Beatles, so it’s good to see them back in with another new one, Bodyguard, albeit it very laid-back that stiffed in the UK.

Roxette leap into the 20 with It Must Have Been Love, as a new entry from 1970 oldie Venus is remixed and is Shocking Blue back in the charts just ahead of Don Pablo’s Animals re-versioning dance-stylee of the same song, and which they borrow to greater effect. Betty Boo is Doin’ The Do inside the 20, and Gary Moore still got the blues enough to hit 20, leaving Billy Joel heading down The Downeaster Alexa at 23, a spiritual sequel (of sorts, to my ears) to Gordon Lightfoot’s The Wreck Of The Edmond Fitzgerald . There’s a Yaaaah! at 29, as D. Shake goes Techno Trance and the brilliant The Only One I Know leaps inside the 40 for The Charlatans. Ditto Black Box and Englandneworder, while The Beloved are having a non-Lauper Time After Time new at 40. That leaves a new entry from Elton John. I say “new” actually Sacrifice was in the chart last week, as it has been since the previous autumn, but it had been reissued after flopping in the UK along with his other flop Healing hands. Both had topped my chart and now are new, technically, together. Elsewhere MC Hammer debuts with a cover of a Rick James classic. I say “cover”. The words are new, and the baggy trousers shout out U Can’t Touch This. He’s a Superfreak I guess!

1 ( 1 ) IT’S MY LIFE Talk Talk
2 ( 2 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
3 ( 3 ) DON’T WANNA FALL IN LOVE Jane Child
4 ( 8 ) DIRTY CASH Adventures Of Stevie V
5 ( 9 ) REPUTATION Dusty Springfield
6 ( NEW ) WOULDN’T IT BE NICE The Beach Boys
7 ( 4 ) BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW Kylie Minogue
8 ( 7 ) KILLER Adamski featuring Seal
9 ( 11 ) BODYGUARD The Bee Gees
10 ( 5 ) TEXAS Chris Rea

11 ( 6 ) WON’T TALK ABOUT IT Beats International
12 ( 32 ) IT MUST HAVE BEEN LOVE Roxette
13 ( NEW ) VENUS (REMIX) Shocking Blue
14 ( 16 ) PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE Was (Not Was)
15 ( 27 ) DOIN’ THE DO Betty Boo
16 ( 10 ) ROAM The B52’s
17 ( 17 ) VENUS Don Pablo’s Animals
18 ( 12 ) ALRIGHT Janet Jackson
19 ( 13 ) ALL I WANNA DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU Heart
20 ( 25 ) STILL GOT THE BLUES Gary Moore

21 ( 19 ) KISSING GATE Sam Brown
22 ( 15 ) VOGUE Madonna
23 ( NEW ) THE DOWNEASTER ALEXA Billy Joel
24 ( 14 ) THE POLICY OF TRUTH Depeche Mode
25 ( 20 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
26 ( 21 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
27 ( 38 ) HOLD ON En Vogue
28 ( 35 ) I STILL HAVEN’T FOUND WHAT I’M LOOKING FOR The Chimes
29 ( NEW ) YAAAH/ TECHNO TRANCE D. Shake
30 ( 18 ) HOW CAN WE BE LOVERS Michael Bolton

31 ( 65 ) THE ONLY ONE I KNOW The Charlatans
32 ( 22 ) THE POWER Snap!
33 ( 43 ) EVERYBODY EVERYBODY Black Box
34 ( NEW ) SACRIFICE/ HEALING HANDS Elton John
35 ( 55 ) WORLD IN MOTION England New Order
36 ( 31 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
37 ( 37 ) STAR Erasure
38 ( 24 ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40
39 ( 36 ) OPPOSITES ATTRACT Paula Abdul featuring The Wild Pair
40 ( NEW ) TIME AFTER TIME The Beloved

41 ( 28 ) PERSONAL JESUS Depeche Mode
42 ( 29 ) LOVE WILL LEAD YOU BACK Taylor Dayne
43 ( 23 ) GHETTO HEAVEN The Family Stand
44 ( 45 ) CUTS BOTH WAYS Gloria Estefan
45 ( 42 ) BLUE SAVANNAH Erasure
46 ( 70 ) ISTANBUL (NOT CONSTANTINOPLE) They Might Be Giants
47 ( 33 ) MADLY IN LOVE Bros
48 ( 26 ) LOVE THING The Pasadenas
49 ( 46 ) LOADED Primal Scream
50 ( 50 ) LOVE SHACK The B52’s

51 ( RE ) I WANNA BE RICH Calloway
52 ( 51 ) JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES Cher
53 ( 49 ) HERE WE ARE Gloria Estefan
54 ( 41 ) REAL REAL REAL Jesus Jones
55 ( NEW ) HEAR THE DRUMMER (GO WICKED) Chad Jackson
56 ( 52 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
57 ( 62 ) DANGEROUS Roxette
58 ( 64 ) JOY AND HEARTBREAK Movement 98 featuring Carroll Thompson
59 ( 66 ) GIVE IT UP Hothouse Flowers
60 ( 40 ) A DREAM’S A DREAM Soul II Soul

61 ( 30 ) WHAT DID I DO FOR YOU Lisa Stansfield
62 ( 39 ) ANGEL Eurythmics
63 ( 44 ) FROM OUT OF NOWHERE Faith No More
64 ( 63 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
65 ( NEW ) U CAN’T TOUCH THIS MC Hammer
66 ( 54 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER (REMIX) Madonna
67 ( 47 ) SPRINGTIME FOR THE WORLD Blow Monkeys
68 ( 71 ) UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME Miki Howard
69 ( 58 ) MAYBE FOR SURE Deborah Harry
70 ( 53 ) HEAVEN GIVE ME WORDS Propaganda

71 ( 69 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
72 ( 68 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
73 ( 61 ) TOMORROW Tongue ‘n’ Cheek
74 ( 72 ) SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE Tears For Fears
75 ( NEW ) MESSAGE IN THE BOX World Party

I bought a David Shepherd limited edition artwork of a Dormouse for £57 this week. Still got it, though it should be worth a bit more these days. Bob advised me on that, and let me know that the Fleetwood Mac tickets we’d ordered he’d still pay for his as he now had to go to a mate’s wedding instead. Oops! On Saturday I drove to London to go to my first Comics mart. I sold some comics to 30th Century Comics, who are still going strong in Putney, fanzine friends running the business, and I met fanzine members, but I felt very out of it meeting groups of people who already knew each other and wandered off to look around. For the first time in 20 years I had the very odd experience of talking about comic characters out loud to other human beings!

I chatted to various young members of Apa-247 and heard about previous fanzine Inertron, a Legion fanzine that had become a general comics fanzine when most of the Legion fans broke away after a spat. I found out all the gossip about it. I won’t repeat it here, though I’m sure it would be interesting to do that, sorry! We still meet up 25 years later and older, some have passed away tragically young, but it’s still great meeting up. That’s pretty damn impressive, really, and the only organisation in my life I have joined up with socially and stuck with. As Groucho Marx said, I wouldn’t want to belong to any organisation that would have me as a member. Except comic fans. I bid adieu to everyone though, went to HMV and bought The Mind Robber (my fave 60’s Doctor Who episodes) on video, 20 years since I saw it last and as fresh and familiar as if it were just a few years! I enjoyed myself enough to decide to go to another meeting with the apa fans, so result all round!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 22 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
10th June 1990

Elton John’s newly-doubled-up Sacrifice and Healing Hands top the chart again together, having done it solo in 1989, as they did in the UK singles chart in 1990 having flopped in 1989. “I told you so” is such a childish phrase....! Elton’s career had been in the doldrums for a few years, but this pushed him right back into the big league again, as he finally got his long-awaited UK singles chart solo number one. These days I much prefer Healing Hands as I overdosed on Sacrifice eventually. Gary Moore gets a second top 10, his first for 5 years, and Roxette grab a 3rd as It Must Have Been Love sneaks up a bit.

The Chimes smoothly slide into the 20, as D-Shake rave it on up, hey Yaaah! Highest new entry is Snap!’s follow-up to The Power, and it’s a Gap Band song 10 years on, Ooops! Just walking behind them, like an Egyptian, The Bangles get a return to the top 40 4 years on from first-time round, Diana Ross returns I'm Still Waiting in remixed form 19 years on, and Chad Jackson hears a drummer go wicked inside the 40, too. Lower down, Bruce Dickinson gets a second solo entry with his Mott The Hoople cover of All The Young Dudes, and The Pretenders pop in briefly at 62, though Chrissie insists she’d Never Do That. Jason Donovan and Bobby Brown are back too, and at 68 it’s a bangin’ dance rave-rap track, The Only Rhyme That Bites, as MC Tunes and 808 State get together over the theme to The Big Country sample to pretty good effect.

1 ( 34 ) SACRIFICE/ HEALING HANDS Elton John
2 ( 1 ) IT’S MY LIFE Talk Talk
3 ( 2 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
4 ( 3 ) DON’T WANNA FALL IN LOVE Jane Child
5 ( 5 ) REPUTATION Dusty Springfield
6 ( 6 ) WOULDN’T IT BE NICE The Beach Boys
7 ( 4 ) DIRTY CASH Adventures Of Stevie V
8 ( 20 ) STILL GOT THE BLUES Gary Moore
9 ( 8 ) KILLER Adamski featuring Seal
10 ( 12 ) IT MUST HAVE BEEN LOVE Roxette

11 ( 17 ) VENUS Don Pablo’s Animals
12 ( 7 ) BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW Kylie Minogue
13 ( 15 ) DOIN’ THE DO Betty Boo
14 ( 28 ) I STILL HAVEN’T FOUND WHAT I’M LOOKING FOR The Chimes
15 ( 11 ) WON’T TALK ABOUT IT Beats International
16 ( 16 ) ROAM The B52’s
17 ( 9 ) BODYGUARD The Bee Gees
18 ( 18 ) ALRIGHT Janet Jackson
19 ( 29 ) YAAAH/ TECHNO TRANCE D-Shake
20 ( 10 ) TEXAS Chris Rea

21 ( 13 ) VENUS (REMIX) Shocking Blue
22 ( 14 ) PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE Was (Not Was)
23 ( 23 ) THE DOWNEASTER ALEXA Billy Joel
24 ( 19 ) ALL I WANNA DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU Heart
25 ( 31 ) THE ONLY ONE I KNOW The Charlatans
26 ( 27 ) HOLD ON En Vogue
27 ( 40 ) TIME AFTER TIME The Beloved
28 ( 22 ) VOGUE Madonna
29 ( 35 ) WORLD IN MOTION England New Order
30 ( 37 ) STAR Erasure

31 ( 26 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
32 ( 25 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
33 ( NEW ) OOOPS UP Snap!
34 ( NEW ) WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN The Bangles
35 ( 30 ) HOW CAN WE BE LOVERS Michael Bolton
36 ( 55 ) HEAR THE DRUMMER (GO WICKED) Chad Jackson
37 ( NEW ) I’M STILL WAITING (REMIX) Diana Ross
38 ( 36 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
39 ( 32 ) THE POWER Snap!
40 ( 39 ) OPPOSITES ATTRACT Paula Abdul featuring The Wild Pair

41 ( 21 ) KISSING GATE Sam Brown
42 ( 38 ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40
43 ( 41 ) PERSONAL JESUS Depeche Mode
44 ( 33 ) EVERYBODY EVERYBODY Black Box
45 ( 46 ) ISTANBUL (NOT CONSTANTINOPLE) They Might Be Giants
46 ( 24 ) THE POLICY OF TRUTH Depeche Mode
47 ( 51 ) I WANNA BE RICH Calloway
48 ( 45 ) BLUE SAVANNAH Erasure
49 ( NEW ) ALL THE YOUNG DUDES Bruce Dickinson
50 ( 49 ) LOADED Primal Scream

51 ( 50 ) LOVE SHACK The B52’s
52 ( 52 ) JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES Cher
53 ( 42 ) LOVE WILL LEAD YOU BACK Taylor Dayne
54 ( 47 ) MADLY IN LOVE Bros
55 ( NEW ) TOUCHED BY THE HAND OF CICCIOLINA Pop Will Eat Itself
56 ( 44 ) CUTS BOTH WAYS Gloria Estefan
57 ( 53 ) HERE WE ARE Gloria Estefan
58 ( 56 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
59 ( NEW ) CLOUD 8 Frazier Chorus
60 ( 43 ) GHETTO HEAVEN The Family Stand

61 ( 65 ) U CAN’T TOUCH THIS MC Hammer
62 ( NEW ) NEVER DO THAT The Pretenders
63 ( 57 ) DANGEROUS Roxette
64 ( 64 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
65 ( NEW ) ANOTHER NIGHT Jason Donovan
66 ( 68 ) UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME Miki Howard
67 ( 54 ) REAL REAL REAL Jesus Jones
68 ( NEW ) THE ONLY RHYME THAT BITES MC Tunes vs 808 State
69 ( NEW ) FREE-STYLE MEGAMIX Bobby Brown
70 ( 48 ) LOVE THING The Pasadenas

71 ( 66 ) KEEP IT TOGETHER (REMIX) Madonna
72 ( 71 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
73 ( 72 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
74 ( 74 ) SOWING THE SEEDS OF LOVE Tears For Fears
75 ( 63 ) FROM OUT OF NOWHERE Faith No More

PLAYLIST OLDIES

1. YOU DON’T HAVE TO GO - The Chi-Lites
2. LIGHT MY FIRE - Jose Feliciano
3. MUSIC - John Miles

In my oldies playlist, The Chi-Lites disco classic from 1976 joins John Miles Music, and the 1968 spanish acoustic guitar version of The Doors’ Light My Fire from Jose Feliciano which I loved age 10. Will Young eventually copied this version for a UK 21st Century singles chart topper. In my life, I continued working for Bournemouth Borough Council, but I started my new full-time job as Contracts Monitor for Parks. First up, was checking the grounds maintenance for the local schools, Colleges, Community Arts and Police stations. Played badminton with Peter, won 4-2, for a change. Oh, and I’d officially stopped eating meat by now en route to eventually becoming a vegetarian.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 26 2015, 04:03 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
17th June 1990

It’s a rare brand new entry in at 1 from nowhere. Big Fun and Sonia, with a sax assist from Gary Barnacle. This was a charity record for Childline featuring the two most annoying of the pop stars from the Stock Aitken Waterman hit machine, and was written and produced by SAW. Given all of that, it would be a surprise for me to like it a lot. For me to instantly fall in love with the record is a miracle, it’s rare that new tracks do that in my charts, unheard of for acts I’ve been a bit “meh” over. For it to become one of the least-successful charity records is a travesty, it’s pure soul brilliance, heavily-inspired by Junior Walker And The All Stars’ “What Does It Take”. The lyrics match the intended sentiment and the boys and girl give great vocals, and that sax is fantastic. Under-rated much.

Roxette get a 3rd top 5 track, and the B52’s a third as Roam finally hits 5 after months of yo-yo-ing. Betty Boo gets a first top 10 do, and The Chimes take U2’s song back into the 10 3 years on, all soulful. The Charlatans get a first top 20 hit, and the new entry at 16 is a hark back to childhood TV excitement as Thunderbirds Are Go with FAB and MC Parker. Parker?! Yus M’lady! Actually there’s a fair bit of Stingray in there too, so that’s even better for a mash-up of the theme tune dance-stylee. FAB! My faves were Parker, Lady Penelope, Alan and Tintin. The track is both amusing and nostalgic great fun. In at 20, Jeff Lynne has a belated solo single debut after 20 years of hits with The Move and ELO, and it’s pretty good. Every Little Thing sounds like an ELO record, of course. Fine by me cos it’s also fab!

Bruce Dickinson out-peaks every single Iron Maiden single at 23, as his cover of All The Young Dudes pops into the 40, along with another cover - of Sister Sledge’s Nile Rodgers/Bernard Edwards song Thinking Of You - from Maureen Walsh. Kim Wilde calls Time, in at 26, Blow Monkeys spring back at 40, and Gloria Estefan, They Might Be Giants and MC Hammer all go top 40. New lower down, another Aussie soap star covers Mona, and it’s a good version from Craig McClaghlan, Double Trouble take a 3rd version of Love Don’t Live Here Anymore into the 75, Maxi Priest is back with a good new single Close To You, Paul Young covers the Chi_lites 1972 chart-topper Oh Girl, and at 75 Luciano Pavarotti, the world’s top classical tenor covers Puccini’s Nessun Dorma (from Turandot) for the football World Cup and becomes a sensation immortalising the song for the masses for the next 25 years (so far). One of the better football songs, I ponder!

1 ( NEW ) YOU’VE GOT A FRIEND Big Fun and Sonia featuring Gary Barnacle
2 ( 1 ) SACRIFICE/ HEALING HANDS Elton John
3 ( 2 ) IT’S MY LIFE Talk Talk
4 ( 10 ) IT MUST HAVE BEEN LOVE Roxette
5 ( 16 ) ROAM The B52’s
6 ( 3 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
7 ( 4 ) DON’T WANNA FALL IN LOVE Jane Child
8 ( 13 ) DOIN’ THE DO Betty Boo
9 ( 14 ) I STILL HAVEN’T FOUND WHAT I’M LOOKING FOR The Chimes
10 ( 6 ) WOULDN’T IT BE NICE The Beach Boys

11 ( 9 ) KILLER Adamski featuring Seal
12 ( 7 ) DIRTY CASH Adventures Of Stevie V
13 ( 5 ) REPUTATION Dusty Springfield
14 ( 25 ) THE ONLY ONE I KNOW The Charlatans
15 ( 12 ) BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW Kylie Minogue
16 ( NEW ) THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO FAB featuring MC Parker
17 ( 8 ) STILL GOT THE BLUES Gary Moore
18 ( 11 ) VENUS Don Pablo’s Animals
19 ( 33 ) OOOPS UP Snap!
20 ( NEW ) EVERY LITTLE THING Jeff Lynne

21 ( 34 ) WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN The Bangles
22 ( 19 ) YAAAH/ TECHNO TRANCE D-Shake
23 ( 49 ) ALL THE YOUNG DUDES Bruce Dickinson
24 ( 17 ) BODYGUARD The Bee Gees
25 ( NEW ) THINKING OF YOU Maureen Walsh
26 ( NEW ) TIME Kim Wilde
27 ( 27 ) TIME AFTER TIME The Beloved
28 ( 15 ) WON’T TALK ABOUT IT Beats International
29 ( 18 ) ALRIGHT Janet Jackson
30 ( 56 ) CUTS BOTH WAYS Gloria Estefan

31 ( 20 ) TEXAS Chris Rea
32 ( 24 ) ALL I WANNA DO IS MAKE LOVE TO YOU Heart
33 ( 31 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
34 ( 28 ) VOGUE Madonna
35 ( 32 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
36 ( 36 ) HEAR THE DRUMMER (GO WICKED) Chad Jackson
37 ( 45 ) ISTANBUL (NOT CONSTANTINOPLE) They Might Be Giants
38 ( 22 ) PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE Was (Not Was)
39 ( 61 ) U CAN’T TOUCH THIS MC Hammer
40 ( RE ) SPRINGTIME FOR THE WORLD Blow Monkeys

41 ( 38 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
42 ( 39 ) THE POWER Snap!
43 ( NEW ) LOVE DON’T LIVE HERE ANYMORE Double Trouble
44 ( 23 ) THE DOWNEASTER ALEXA Billy Joel
45 ( 37 ) I’M STILL WAITING (REMIX) Diana Ross
46 ( 43 ) PERSONAL JESUS Depeche Mode
47 ( 26 ) HOLD ON En Vogue
48 ( 40 ) OPPOSITES ATTRACT Paula Abdul featuring The Wild Pair
49 ( NEW ) MONA Craig McClaghlan
50 ( 42 ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40

51 ( 21 ) VENUS (REMIX) Shocking Blue
52 ( 48 ) BLUE SAVANNAH Erasure
53 ( 29 ) WORLD IN MOTION England New Order
54 ( 55 ) TOUCHED BY THE HAND OF CICCIOLINA Pop Will Eat Itself
55 ( 50 ) LOADED Primal Scream
56 ( 52 ) JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES Cher
57 ( 68 ) THE ONLY RHYME THAT BITES MC Tunes vs 808 State
58 ( 60 ) GHETTO HEAVEN The Family Stand
59 ( 51 ) LOVE SHACK The B52’s
60 ( 53 ) LOVE WILL LEAD YOU BACK Taylor Dayne

61 ( 54 ) MADLY IN LOVE Bros
62 ( 57 ) HERE WE ARE Gloria Estefan
63 ( 58 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
64 ( 63 ) DANGEROUS Roxette
65 ( 65 ) ANOTHER NIGHT Jason Donovan
66 ( 64 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
67 ( 69 ) FREE-STYLE MEGAMIX Bobby Brown
68 ( 35 ) HOW CAN WE BE LOVERS Michael Bolton
69 ( NEW ) CLOSE TO YOU Maxi Priest
70 ( 30 ) STAR Erasure

71 ( NEW ) OH GIRL Paul Young
72 ( 59 ) CLOUD 8 Frazier Chorus
73 ( NEW ) GIRL TO GIRL The 49‘ers
74 ( 73 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
75 ( NEW ) NESSUN DORMA Luciano Pavarotti

I was busy hiring Star Trek: The Next Generation first season videos from video shops at this time, it seems unthinkable that a hot new American TV show with a mass cult appeal behind it could remain unaired on British television 3 years on - but that was the times, if the 2 broadcasters passed on it then you were stuffed. Sky TV of course took up the slack eventually which meant you had to pay out anyway and buy a satellite dish. At work, lots of school grounds checking, which meant associating with headmasters and introducing myself. Having joined the fanzine, I mused that my writing style was pretty crap actually, limited vocabulary and it takes SO long to type out a single page of comments and articles! I did some artwork for my fanzine, updating some stuff I’d drawn 13 years earlier.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:32 AM