BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking For Alaska, Hulu / BBC iPlayer | Limited series
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post Oct 20 2019, 03:28 PM
Post #1
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Looking For Alaska is an 8-episode limited series based on the John Green novel of the same name. It centers around teenager Miles “Pudge” Halter (Charlie Plummer), as he enrolls in boarding school to try to gain a deeper perspective on life. He falls in love with Alaska Young (Kristine Froseth), and finds a group of loyal friends. But after an unexpected tragedy, Miles and his close friends attempt to make sense of what they’ve been through.

The series stars Charlie Plummer, Kristine Froseth, Denny Love, Jay Lee, Landry Bender, Sofia Vassilieva, Uriah Shelton, and Jordan Connor. Ron Cephas Jones (This Is Us) and Timothy Simons (Veep) also star.

Created for television by Josh Schwartz, the series comes from Paramount Television and Schwartz and Stephanie Savage’s Fake Empire. Savage and Schwartz will serve as executive producers. alongside Jessica Tuchinsky, Mark Waters, John Green, and Marty Bowen and Isaac Klausner of Temple Hill. Fake Empire exec Lis Rowinski will co-executive produce. Sarah Adina Smith (“Hanna” and “Legion”) directs the first episode.

Produced by Hulu and thankfully on the BBC iPlayer for UK viewers as of yesterday! Saw the trailer of this a little while ago, it didn't really give much away and neither did the synopsis, and I've never read the book, so it was all new to me as I watched episode 1. Watched the first six yesterday and just finished the final two laugh.gif I love a good coming-of-age story and Miles is an absolutely brilliant character - perhaps the most I've ever related to a character in a TV show. The social awkwardness, the naivety in the world of romance, it's brilliantly adorable and Charlie Plummer proves himself as one of the most promising young talents around. The final 2 episodes... there's not much I can say without HUGELY spoiling but there's strong performances from the entire cast. I cried, and I so rarely cry at TV shows. Superb and I can't recommend it enough heart.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Nov 15 2019, 09:27 PM
Post #2
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

I watched this a couple of weeks ago! wub.gif It was very engaging, not just in terms of its story line but also in the way it was shot, very warm/dreamy (wherever they shot this had some lovely scenery!). The main characters were all intriguing/quirky/relatable and occasionally frustrating... which meant they were very well written and fleshed out teenage characters!

The last couple of episodes were so bittersweet cry.gif

Side note: It made me feel nostalgic for the time it was set in (2005/6), just before social media really took off and became so consuming!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Nov 15 2019, 09:31 PM
Post #3
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

So glad you watched and enjoyed, Jay!! wub.gif I've been singing its praises to anyone who'll listen, it's still on my mind a month later!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:41 PM