BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OCC: Take That's Best Selling Songs
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Nov 29 2014, 11:41 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Take That’s Top 40 Biggest Selling Songs
29/11/2014
By Justin Myers

To celebrate Take That’s latest reinvention as a trio – plus forthcoming new album III – we count down their 40 best sellers, whether it’s a single or an album track. It’s the only Take That chart you’ll ever need!

It’s exactly 23 years since Take That scored their first-ever Top 40 hit with Promises, and few could have predicted back then that the quintet-turned-quartet-turned-trio would still be a major chart force all these years later.

They’ve had more ups and downs than the lifts in Selfridges, but one thing has remained constant: that hitmaking ability. 11 Number 1 singles, from 25 Top 40 hits and sales stats that most boybands – or manbands to bring them bang up to date – would kill for a quarter of. Over 9.3 million singles’ sold is the kind of sales real talk we are dealing with here.

They broke our hearts on Valentine’s Day 1995 when they said it was all over, but we should have known they couldn’t stay away.

In the last few years we have seen Jason Orange, Mark Owen, Gary Barlow and Howard Donald reform as a quartet, re-recruit prodigal band member Robbie Williams, only to shed both Robbie and Jason in time for the release of their brand-new album III.

And with their first single as a trio These Days a serious contender for this week’s Number 1, we thought it was about time we had a good old route through their biggest selling songs to see which tracks come out on top. And as we’ve got over 23 years of history to look over, why not go the whole hog and make it a great big Top 40?

First, the Top 10…

1: Back For Good (1995)

The heartfelt ballad was something of a bittersweet experience. Arguably a career high, the band looked invincible at this point (something they’d refute in next single Never Forget) but behind closed doors, trouble was afoot, and this was the last single to be released while Robbie was still actually in the band.

Spending a month at the top from April 1995, Back For Good gave us a glimpse of the kind of songs we could expect from Take That when they reformed in 2006, not that any of us suspected that was on the cards, of course.

Premiering at the 1995 BRIT Awards, demand for the song was so high, the release had to be brought forward. At the following year’s BRIT Awards, Back For Good won Best British Single. It’s a solid-gold classic – well, platinum, actually – that no slow dance at the disco would be any good without.

SALES: 1.1 million

CHART FACTS: Back For Good ended a week-long reign at the top for Outhere Brothers’ novelty hit Don’t Stop (Wiggle Wiggle) and its own four-week Number 1 stint was terminated by Oasis scoring their first chart-topper with Some Might Say. It was the band’s only US Top 10 and went to Number 1 in over 30 countries across the globe.

One famous admirer of Back For Good is Coldplay’s Chris Martin, who invited Gary on stage with him and the band to sing it, while he did backing vocals.

2: Rule The World (2007)

And so we zoom 12 years into the future, skipping over Gary, Mark and Robbie’s solo careers, a triumphant return and more Number 1s to a little curiosity that didn’t even make it to the top of the Official Singles Chart.

Rule The World was a bonus track on the repackaged tour edition of the band’s hugely successful comeback album Beautiful World, and was also featured on Michelle Pfeiffer movie Stardust. When released as a single, it was a success of Back For Good proportions – save for that small detail of missing out on Number 1 – and became an instant radio staple.

X Factor contestants fought over who got to sing it, couples about to get married immediately rethought their first dance playlists, and you bought it in your droves – it was fifth bestselling single of the year. And earlier this year, it became Take That’s second single to score the big one – a million copies sold!

SALES: A ‘cool million’

CHART FACTS: How could such an amazing song sell so much and yet never get to Number 1, you might ask? Well, Rule The World was blocked by the chart-topping juggernaut of 2007 that was Leona Lewis’s Bleeding Love, which spent seven weeks at Number 1.

Rule The World spent 12 weeks inside the Top 10, more than any other Take That song.

3: Patience (2006)

After a silence of over a decade, TT were B – A – C – K. A reunion TV show and tour the year before had proven there was still an appetite for the band, so they put their best foot forward, and mouth to the mic and got back in the studio to make a comeback with new material.

First up was Patience, almost a companion song to Back For Good, Patience stormed to the top of the Official Singles Chart almost exactly eight years ago, and refused to budge for a month.

To say the comeback was a success is something of an understatement – Beautiful World has sold over 2.8 million copies in the UK.

SALES: Patience has notched up over 690,000 sales.

CHART FACTS: The band had their first brush with Leona when she bumped them off Number 1 with her X Factor winner’s single A Moment Like This.

Patience was the ninth bestselling single of 2006, despite being released so late in the year. Patience won the BRIT Award in 2007 for Best British Single.

4: How Deep Is Your Love (1996)

Back in time we go, to the song that we all assumed was going to be the very end of the Take That story. The band’s first Number 1 without Robbie (he left before Never Forget was released, but still sang on it), How Deep Is Your Love was their swansong, released after the announcement of their split.

Selling over 230,000 copies in its first week, and paying back Oasis for knocking off Back For Good by returning the favour with Don’t Look Back In Anger, How Deep Is Your Love stayed at Number 1 for three weeks.

SALES: 600,000

CHART FACTS: How Deep Is Your Love is, of course, a cover of the Bee Gees’ classic from the soundtrack of John Travolta movie Saturday Night Fever.

Take That managed what the brothers Gibb could not – they took it to Number 1.The original only made it as far as Number 3 in 1977.

5: The Flood (2010)

Yet another comeback in the boys’ back catalogue, this time Take That were welcoming their long-lost fifth member, Robbie Williams. Yes, the reunion that absolutely nobody – especially Robbie and Gary – thought would ever happen was actually a real thing and we were wide-awake and not dreaming and hadn’t even bumped our head or anything! The Flood was the first single to feature Robbie in over 15 years!

SALES: 580,000

CHART FACTS: Cruelly kept off the top by the mighty Rihanna and her future million-seller Only Girl (In The World). The Flood was one of the Top 40 bestselling singles of 2010.

6: Greatest Day (2008)

The lead single from fifth album The Circus, Greateat Day became Take That’s eleventh Number 1 – their most recent so far.

SALES: 520,000

CHART FACTS: Yet another Take That tune to feel the Leona Lewis effect – her cover of Run knocked Greatest Day off the top after one week.But they’ve only themselves to blame. Take That helped Leona to victory on The X Factor, performing A Million Love Songs with the star in the 2006 grand final.

7: Never Forget (1995)

If you think about it, this is the real moment the old Take That said goodbye. Although Robbie had recently departed the band, they ploughed ahead with the release of Never Forget. The first song to feature Howard on lead vocals and the last Number 1 with Robbie, there was barely a dry eye in the house as Never Forget reigned supreme at Number 1.

SALES: 498,000

CHART FACTS: Never Forget marked the second time Take That had knocked Outhere Brothers off Number 1 in that same year – some might say it was getting personal. Boom Boom Boom was denied a fifth week at the top thanks to Howard and the gang.

Never Forget meant that every member of Take That had scored a Number 1 on lead vocals – except Jason. Gary, of course, sang the majority of the band’s chart-toppers, but at this stage Robbie and Mark had also scored one each on lead, with Everything Changes and Babe respectively. Mark would go on to have another Number 1 as frontman when Shine did the business in 2007.

Take That found themselves inadvertently caught up in the battle of Britpop when Oasis and Blur went head-to-head to knock them off Number 1. It was Roll With It vs Country House, and Blur, of course, won that round.

8: Shine (2007)

The second single from Beautiful World gave Take That a sixth consecutive Number 1 and for some reason reminds us that we have to go to the supermarket to get in a few bits for Christmas. Featured Mark on lead vocals for the first time since 1993’s ten-hanky blubfest Babe.

SALES: 493,000

CHART FACTS: Shine spent two weeks at Number 1, giving Kaiser Chiefs’ only chart-topper, Ruby, the heave-ho. It was toppled by Sugababes vs Girls Aloud and their Comic Relief cover of Walk This Way.

9: Pray (1993)

Take That’s very first Number 1, and the first of four consecutive chart-toppers for the band, Pray was when TT mania really took hold. Dreamy, beach-set video? Check. Everyone looking like they’ve been down the gym? Check. A month at Number 1? Check. It took the might of late, great Queen frontman to depose them, but it wasn’t the last we’d heard of Take That in the Number 1 spot…

SALES: 394,000

CHART FACTS: Pray was the first of three Number 1s for Take That in 1993 – they spent a total of seven weeks at the top of the Official Singles Chart that year.

10: Babe (1993)

And just edging it into the Top 10 is the Christmas Number 1 that never was. Babe had all the right ingredients to be a festive chart-topper. It tugged at the heartstrings, with a tale of love, loss and reunion. The video had snow. And a cute child.

But you must never underestimate the purchasing power of the British public, and the UK found the charms of a huge pink alien/monster (we're not quite sure) too hard to resist. Mr Blobby, of course, was that big, erm, blob of chart smashery who leapt back up to Number 1, knocking them off the top after a week and landing there just in time for the turkey.

SALES: 385,000

CHART FACTS: Babe was the first Take That single to feature Mark on lead vocals and the band’s first Number 1 with anyone other than Gary as frontman.

Other notable entries in the Top 20 and beyond…

Take That’s second Number 1 Relight My Fire FT Lulu just misses a Top 10 placing with 330,000 sales. It’s the only time Take That have released a single with a featured artist.

The band’s first Top 10 It Only Takes A Minute lands at Number 20, and Happy Now, from the band’s Progress album, is their biggest selling song not to make the Top 40 at Number 24.

First hit Promises lands as their 30th bestseller.

And just outside at Number 41 is the band’s classic debut single Do What You Like, which failed to chart. We’ve never been able to look at jelly in the same way since.

Here’s Take That’s Official Top 40 Biggest Selling Songs…

TRACK PEAK YEAR
1 BACK FOR GOOD 1 YEAR
2 RULE THE WORLD 2 YEAR
3 PATIENCE 1 YEAR
4 HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE 1 YEAR
5 THE FLOOD 2 YEAR
6 GREATEST DAY 1 YEAR
7 NEVER FORGET 1 YEAR
8 SHINE 1 YEAR
9 PRAY 1 YEAR
10 BABE 1 YEAR
11 RELIGHT MY FIRE 1 YEAR
12 EVERYTHING CHANGES 1 YEAR
13 COULD IT BE MAGIC 3 1992
14 A MILLION LOVE SONGS 7 1992
15 SURE 1 1994
16 LOVE AIN'T HERE ANYMORE 3 1994
17 WHY CAN'T I WAKE UP WITH YOU 2 1993
18 UP ALL NIGHT 14 2009
19 SAID IT ALL 9 2009
20 IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE 7 1992
21 LOVE LOVE 15 2011
22 KIDZ 28 2011
23 I FOUND HEAVEN 15 1992
24 HAPPY NOW 52 2011
25 I'D WAIT FOR LIFE 17 2007
26 HOLD UP A LIGHT N/A 2008
27 PROMISES 38 1991
28 SOS N/A 2010
29 THE GARDEN N/A 2008
30 WHEN WE WERE YOUNG N/A 2011
31 BEAUTIFUL WORLD N/A 2006
32 EIGHT LETTERS N/A 2010
33 REACH OUT N/A 2006
34 JULIE N/A 2008
35 WOODEN BOAT/BUTTERFLY N/A 2006
36 STAY TOGETHER N/A 2007
37 LIKE I NEVER LOVED YOU AT ALL N/A 2006
38 HOLD ON N/A 2006
39 HELLO N/A 2008
40 THE CIRCUS N/A 2008

© 2014 The Official Charts Company. All rights reserved.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Nov 29 2014, 11:48 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol

Thought this would be appropriate in the Chart forum as well as the Take That AF.

To summarise:

Back for Good [1100k]
Rule the World [1000k]
Patience [690k]
How Deep is Your Love [600k]
The Flood [580k]
Greatest Day [520k]
Never Forget [498k]
Shine [493k]
Pray [394k]
Babe [385k]
Relight My Fire [330k]

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Nov 29 2014, 12:01 PM
Post #3
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Member No.: 3,217

Very interesting, thanks for posting!

Surprised that Once You've Tasted Love isn't in their Top 40. It was only a #47 peaking song, but then Promises was only a #38 hit and that's 27th here.

I noticed that 'Babe' is certified platinum on the BPI site, but its sales listed here are only 385k. ohmy.gif Pray, Relight My Fire, Babe and Everything Changes all seem to me like they were much bigger #1 hits than their sales suggest.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Nov 29 2014, 12:09 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Idol

Yeah, 'Babe' being Platinum with such little sales in comparison is a bit odd! Everything else seems to fit though.

'Patience' and 'The Flood' are my favourites in the Top 10. Pleased 'Said It All' managed Top 20 too. Their best ballads to me. wub.gif

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Nov 29 2014, 12:29 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

Its amazing the number of singles in the top 10 from when they reformed.

This post has been edited by slowdown73: Nov 29 2014, 12:30 PM

+Quote Post
jay727
post Nov 29 2014, 12:33 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 12,273

Great to see The Flood is so close to becoming another Platinum selling single for them!

+Quote Post
stebags
post Nov 29 2014, 01:26 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 9,770
   No Gallery Pics

They didn't split on Valentines Day in 1995.

On 13 February 1996, Take That formally announced that they were disbanding

Sure is quite rightly their lowest selling no.1
Can't believe Pray hasn't even gone gold for 4 weeks at no.1!!!
Guess 1993 sales were really low as there aren't any million sellers from that year.
Spookily no million sellers from 2003 either, the only 00s year with none, 2013 wasn't like that!

This post has been edited by stebags: Nov 29 2014, 02:05 PM

+Quote Post
Brer
post Nov 29 2014, 03:18 PM
Post #8
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

I had no idea 'The Flood' was one of their biggest sellers!

'Back For Good' is the correct song to be top heart.gif And that top 3 is my 3 favourite songs by them as well although I'd swap over 'Patience' and 'Rule The World'.

+Quote Post
Robbie
post Nov 30 2014, 01:35 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 366
   No Gallery Pics

It looks like the OCC may have overlooked sales from 1994 for 'Babe'. Its sales to the end of 1993 were 350k. Add in downloads and that may account for the sales total of 385k. Its sales in 1994 were about 60k so that would bring the total up to at least 445k.

+Quote Post
zeus555
post Dec 3 2014, 07:16 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 1,153
   No Gallery Pics

Robbie - I also think that the 385,000 Sales for 'Babe' is too low. especially as it got a Platinum Disc on
1st January 1994.

I contacted The OCC & suggested that they'd missed out some of its 1994 Sales.

They are standing by their 385,000 Total, & are saying that nothing has been left out.

Their reply to me:,

"Those figures for Babe are the latest we have, based on all available sales data".

'Sure' -- I recall that Gary Barlow thought it was as brilliant as 'Back For Good'. He could
not understand why it was 'only' no.1 for 2 Weeks. I regard it as the weakest & worst of
all 12 of Take That's UK No.1 Singles. No where near as great as 'Back For Good'.

+Quote Post
Robbie
post Dec 3 2014, 07:35 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 366
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(zeus555 @ Dec 3 2014, 07:16 PM) *
Robbie - I also think that the 385,000 Sales for 'Babe' is too low. especially as it got a Platinum Disc on
1st January 1994.

I contacted The OCC & suggested that they'd missed out some of its 1994 Sales.

They are standing by their 385,000 Total, & are saying that nothing has been left out.

Their reply to me:,

"Those figures for Babe are the latest we have, based on all available sales data".

'Sure' -- I recall that Gary Barlow thought it was as brilliant as 'Back For Good'. He could
not understand why it was 'only' no.1 for 2 Weeks. I regard it as the weakest & worst of
all 12 of Take That's UK No.1 Singles. No where near as great as 'Back For Good'.
I'm guessing that the Platinum disc for 'Babe' (which was awarded in January 1994) was most likely due to a classic case of a single being massively overshipped at the time in the expectation it would sell a lot more than it did.

I still think the OCC have overlooked sales from 1994 unless they have revised sales downwards from those which were given at the time for both 1993 and early 1994, which are from pre-Millward Brown days. The sales they should hold are the sales calculated by Gallup, which they don't usually change.

This post has been edited by Robbie: Dec 3 2014, 07:50 PM

+Quote Post
fiesta
post Dec 4 2014, 01:49 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 232
   No Gallery Pics

According to an earlier article the OCC confirmed that Babe sold 350k in 1993 http://www.officialcharts.com/features/off...that-babe-2671/ so it would seem they have missed out 1994 sales (61,500). Wouldnt be the first time they missed out some sales from singles straddling two calender years..

This post has been edited by fiesta: Dec 4 2014, 01:51 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:06 PM