BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Greece · Eurovision Song Contest 2016, Argo - Utopian Land
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Ryan.
post 16th December 2015, 11:09 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

Greece
Argo - Utopian Land

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 16th December 2015, 11:09 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

GREECE: INTERNAL SELECTION APPEARS INCREASINGLY LIKELY FOR EUROVISION 2016

More than three months ago, ERT confirmed to wiwibloggs that Greece will appear at Eurovision 2016. Now rumors are swirling that ERT will buck recent tradition by using an internal selection to pick their entry for Stockholm. Nothing is confirmed, but one fact is certain — things are at a stand-still in Greece.

According to newsit.gr, ERT made some moves shortly after deciding on their participation. This included asking Eleonora Zouganeli to represent them, but apparently she said no. After that their Eurovision plans stalled — with suggestions that Eurovision was not even under discussion.

So it seems increasingly likely that Greece will once again select their representative in a rush, something that could easily lead to another disappointing result. Let’s hope a miracle happens and that a proper performer says yes.

INTERNAL SELECTION RUMOURS
According to eurobluetv, ERT will ask Greek record companies to suggest artists for Eurovision 2016. From there, ERT will internally select the artist who will represent Greece in Stockholm.

When it comes to the song, one rumour says that ERT will host a national final to decide which song the chosen artist will perform at Eurovision. But it’s also rumoured that ERT doesn’t want the public involved in the selection and will internally select both the artist and the song. Try getting clarity from all of that…

While Greece normally chooses its entry with a national final, it has used an internal selection method twice in recent years, both times selecting Sakis Rouvas. In 2004, despite selecting another singer via a national final, Greece ultimately struck a deal with Rouvas and his song “Shake It”, which came third in Istanbul. In 2009 Rouvas was again announced as Greece’s representative, but his song “This Is Our Night” was selected via a national final. He placed seventh in Moscow.

ERT say nothing has been decided for 2016, which seems to confirm that the broadcaster has a long way to go before Stockholm. On the positive side, the deadline for withdrawing without penalty has passed. It now makes more sense for Greece to stay in the competition than pay the penalty for a Grexit.

Wiwibloggs

I think it'd be a good decision for Greece to go internal after a few years of mediocre results, Koza Mostra aside. That said I don't feel like the quality of their entries has dropped, I prefer all of their 2012-15 entries compared to 2010 and 2011 despite the dip in results. I really liked Maria Elena this year, although I can see why some people were underwhelmed!

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 2nd February 2016, 04:03 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

This is rumoured to be an all-male band from Thessaloniki. Sleepin Pillow were rumoured, and while they have denied it apparently there is another male band from the same place that is rumoured too.

From the notoriously unreliable Oikotimes although are right on occasions:

ERT is expected to make an official announcement the upcoming days and also hold a press conference to present the artists for Stockholm. It is widely spread that this internal decision is a personal choice of ERT’s President Mr Dionysis Tsaknis who wants to bring radical left turn to Greece’s participation in the Eurovision Song Contest. The song which is already recorded is described to oikotimes.com as the worst tune ever (even from 2002 SAGAPO) and those who listened to it hardly doubt Greece will qualify to the final this year.
From a Greek news site today:

The song has strong ethnic and Balkan sounds, but not in a traditional way. It’s an exciting song in Greek, bringing the country’s own identity to the contest. The lyrics will refer to the refugee crisis and the financial difficulties we are facing, but the song is really happy and upbeat. Mr. Tsaknis also implied that Pontian lyrics are included.

The artists that will perform the song in Stockholm are not well known, but they’re talented musicians. It is expected that they will carry out Greece’s representation in a very professional way.

+Quote this post
LexC
post 9th February 2016, 04:36 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

Just confirmed that Greece will be going with the seven piece hip-hop group Argo (aka Europond).

I bet the fans will LOVE this!

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 9th February 2016, 04:47 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

At least the vocalists are female!!!!!

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 9th February 2016, 10:15 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Actually I'm very optimistic after listening to this:

Nice vibe!

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 29th February 2016, 11:48 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

OGAE Greece are reporting that Argo's song will be titled 'Utopian Land' which will have Pontic Greek verses and an English chorus.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 9th March 2016, 04:00 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Argo have undergone an image revamp and sacrificed a couple of their male members to bring in another female!

We should hear 'Utopian Land' tomorrow morning.

+Quote this post
Vülker
post 9th March 2016, 04:08 PM
Post #9
Group icon
üüü barracüda
User: 10,222

#ShouldaCalledKalomira

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 10th March 2016, 01:49 PM
Post #10
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335

It's not too bad. Glad you guys don't understand the greek parts laugh.gif

This post has been edited by ♡ Heezus Froot ♡: 10th March 2016, 01:49 PM

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 10th March 2016, 02:58 PM
Post #11
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955

I quite like that! I like the Greek feel to it and the female parts reminds me of 'Amambanda' from 2006. Could struggle in the more competitive first semi final however.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 10th March 2016, 09:10 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

It's about what I was expecting, I'm glad it's not a complete mess. I think it should just qualify if they can provide a similar atmosphere Koza Mostra managed three years ago, although the song doesn't quite make it possible to create that much energy - maybe Loukas Yiorkas is a better comparison.

+Quote this post
ScottyEm
post 10th March 2016, 10:12 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 519

Greece have well and truly lost their mojo

+Quote this post
p a v
post 13th March 2016, 04:46 PM
Post #14
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

I was expecting the song to go somewhere any second but three minutes were over before I realized it wasn't going to happen

+Quote this post
radio2323
post 1st April 2016, 09:41 PM
Post #15
Group icon
New Entry
User: 1,757

100% crap!

This post has been edited by radio2323: 1st April 2016, 09:44 PM

+Quote this post