BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Vocal's Thread, The good and the bad.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Dmdr
post Jan 12 2016, 11:44 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,348
I hope you don't mind me creating a new thread but I thought it would be good to have a specific place where we can talk about not only great vocal moments from Leona, but also discuss the issues she seems to be having now.

The reason I wanted to make this thread is because other forums are all inclusive, and these discussions don't go down well with other members and I don't want to bring the overall mood of the thread down for them, I just find it interesting to talk about her voice and what is happening and I know others do to, so this could be the place for it.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dmdr
post Jan 12 2016, 11:45 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Someone posted this from Tumblr on DS earlier and I think it sums up Leona's voice right now,

http://mrskinnyjeanz3.tumblr.com/post/1284...t-lyric-soprano

But what just bamboozles me is why this is happening?

That site above suggests it could just be technique and working with a coach could improve her voice again, but we know she has been working with a vocal coach and if anything her approach to singing seems less and less healthy to me, but I admit I know very little about the voice and it's working.

They pointed out how she is more nasal now, which seems to be affecting her resonance, something I have noticed and that she has a tight jaw when singing, these are things that she never had too much of an issue with in the past but for whatever reason they are getting worse.

What do you think is going on?

This post has been edited by Dmdr: Jan 12 2016, 11:45 PM

+Quote this post
Hagarthy
post Jan 13 2016, 06:34 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,833
Maybe it's just me, but Leona on a good day is old-school Leona. Some fans make way too much analysis into the state of her voice with respect to each performance. It's so unnecessary considering the dynamics of each performance - from whether you had a cup of yogurt the previous night to whether you warmed up enough before a performance. The FUMF performance at the Ballon d'or was really good, I thought - the TV rip of course. I don't worry too much. There may be warmth issues (like with the Time After Time cover), but that could either be too much vocal tuning or a dry throat. How can anyone worry about Leona's voice after the Jason Derulo duet?

+Quote this post
post Jan 13 2016, 09:47 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
The voice is very delicate, and most (especially female) singers begin to struggle as they get older, unfortunately. Even Mariah hasn't got it the way she used to. It's also easily effected by smoking, drinking too much, not eating well etc. Or anything that could damage the nasal passages. I have no idea what Leona's day to day lifestyle is, but any of that could be part of it.

She does still have a really lovely voice when relaxed, but she doesn't seem to have much control on larger performances. Personally I think she's still got it, but is maybe just going through a very brief rough patch. But if you look at the 'Time After Time' performance, she sounded really good in my opinion.

I read in a trashy magazine years back that Leona had a nose job, I'm assuming that's not true?

+Quote this post
Dmdr
post Jan 13 2016, 03:43 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
QUOTE(Joe. @ Jan 13 2016, 09:47 AM) *
The voice is very delicate, and most (especially female) singers begin to struggle as they get older, unfortunately. Even Mariah hasn't got it the way she used to. It's also easily effected by smoking, drinking too much, not eating well etc. Or anything that could damage the nasal passages. I have no idea what Leona's day to day lifestyle is, but any of that could be part of it.

She does still have a really lovely voice when relaxed, but she doesn't seem to have much control on larger performances. Personally I think she's still got it, but is maybe just going through a very brief rough patch. But if you look at the 'Time After Time' performance, she sounded really good in my opinion.

I read in a trashy magazine years back that Leona had a nose job, I'm assuming that's not true?

She has never confirmed it, but it's definitely true her nose is so different now.

I don't think that affected her voice though because she had it before 2011, and for me 2011 was her vocal peak, her vocals that year were insane, such a shame she wasn't promoting at the time so we would have more performances.

+Quote this post
Dmdr
post Jan 13 2016, 03:47 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
QUOTE(Hagarthy @ Jan 13 2016, 06:34 AM) *
Maybe it's just me, but Leona on a good day is old-school Leona. Some fans make way too much analysis into the state of her voice with respect to each performance. It's so unnecessary considering the dynamics of each performance - from whether you had a cup of yogurt the previous night to whether you warmed up enough before a performance. The FUMF performance at the Ballon d'or was really good, I thought - the TV rip of course. I don't worry too much. There may be warmth issues (like with the Time After Time cover), but that could either be too much vocal tuning or a dry throat. How can anyone worry about Leona's voice after the Jason Derulo duet?

I think she still has a great voice, but I find her incredibly inconsistent nowadays and she used to have this effortless quality when she performed, today I feel like that is completely gone and you can see the effort on her face now, when before it just used to flow out of her. Does that make sense?

This post has been edited by Dmdr: Jan 13 2016, 03:47 PM

+Quote this post
Hagarthy
post Jan 13 2016, 03:59 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,833
This is reply to your last post Dmdr. Don't know how to quote.

Back then she had to prove her place in the industry. With X-Factor, it was either sing your absolute best...or go home. These days, the pressure is less. Anyone would go easy on themselves. I only hope she sings at lower keys more - not too high. I think it's generally good for the voice.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Jan 13 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
QUOTE(Dmdr @ Jan 13 2016, 03:47 PM) *
I think she still has a great voice, but I find her incredibly inconsistent nowadays and she used to have this effortless quality when she performed, today I feel like that is completely gone and you can see the effort on her face now, when before it just used to flow out of her. Does that make sense?

I definitely agree. During her first two eras, it looked so effortless. Now, she looks like she struggles in some of the performances. As Joe said, I think it's just part of her getting older. It seems to happen to most female singers.

+Quote this post
hopehere
post Jan 14 2016, 08:02 AM
Post #9
Group icon
New Entry
User: 21,799
For me, in the early days, vocal perfection was at the forefront, almost like a sing by numbers artist.

That has all changed now, Leona has great emotional connection and a beautiful light and shade tone, and many of her performances have brought me to tears. She can still do great performances too. Look how powerful BL performance with Taylor was. I really want to hear the cover she has recently recorded.

+Quote this post
Dmdr
post Jan 16 2016, 05:30 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Sounds great here at rehearsals yesterday for the Cirque Du Soleil One Night For One Drop show in Las Vegas in March.

https://vimeo.com/151951371

I think her mic set up is so crucial aswell, it can really make a huge difference.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post Jan 16 2016, 05:36 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030
She sounds really good. Especially the falsetto at the end - her agility is still there in that area of her voice! Can't wait for the tour. smile.gif

+Quote this post
Dmdr
post Feb 18 2016, 05:19 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
The full rehearsal video for One Night For One Drop has appeared,

https://vimeo.com/155715092

She sounds great/strong on it. She also spoke about her voice in an interview,

On my first couple of tours I definitely had a bit of vocal fatigue. I clearly didn’t learn from my very first tour, I just kept powering through.

“On my second tour I came to the point at the end where I really was affected by it. I’ve definitely got a much more regimented routine where I have my vocal coach and I am very consistent with it.

“Not going out too much and the main thing is using my voice in the right way when I am on stage. Sometimes I get a bit overly excited as I get so much adrenaline and the crowd is there and I forget I need to really use my voice in a smart way. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on it

Glad she now has a routine in place, and if that video above is any indication then we should be in for a great tour.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post Feb 18 2016, 05:57 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Wow, she sounds so good in that rehearsal!!! Almost the same as when the single first debuted *_* She's definitely regaining some of that angelic quality her voice used to have that seemed to have been lost in 2012-2014.

Great to see she has a better routine for this tour - the previous two tours definitely did have their drawbacks. But the 2010 one she came back well from with 2011 being her best year vocally imo. 2012/2013 was when she really overused her voice. Art On Ice tour (ill during parts of it) followed by her own glassheart tour and then straight back in the recording studio really took its toll on her voice.

Cannot wait for the tour, I think she's going to really deliver for us! 3 days until it starts!!!! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post Mar 25 2016, 08:08 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
She sounded amazing on tour, best her voice has sounded for me, phenominal.

HD performance of "Bleeding Love" from One Night One Drop:

Phenominal. Her voice has really recovered over the last year with Leona working on her voice but also regaining her confidence in singing again. Her voice will continue to get better and better throughout this year I feel with the recording of her next album!

+Quote this post
Dmdr
post Mar 25 2016, 10:31 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
deleted.

This post has been edited by Dmdr: Apr 1 2016, 04:23 PM

+Quote this post
Dmdr
post Apr 9 2016, 03:40 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Her voice is definitely getting stronger and it really excites me, never thought I'd hear her sing Somewhere Over The Rainbow again.

http://www.pikore.com/m/1224389834898487360_5533661
https://www.instagram.com/p/BD9x_oCqzjc/

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post Apr 9 2016, 04:31 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Wow, she sounds incredible singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"!!!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:04 PM