BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Time to get out
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
poppet15
post May 24 2015, 10:18 AM
Post #1
Group icon
UKs Biggest European Music fan
User: 285
I think it's about time UK got out of ESC instead of spending all the licence payers money on it.
It was once a good night's entertainment but since all the Eastern European countries joined it has become just a political stunt.

The acts aren't even entertaining anymore. Even the UK acts over the last 10 years or so have been rubbish.
It's well past its sell by date.

With the UK is the same old rubbish every year. Either send acts never heard of before (or even after) or they send old has beens (e.g. Bonnie Tyler, Engelbert Humperdinck, Nicki French etc)

What we need is acts like Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Ellie Goulding, Jessie J, Clean Bandit, Mumford & Sons who are all big stars in mainland Europe.
It's 40 years since we had top acts of the time representing the UK and only 3 times in the last 18 years have UK been even in Top 10.

This post has been edited by poppet15: May 25 2015, 01:52 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
*Tim
post May 24 2015, 10:22 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660
I was waiting for this thread tbh. Surprised it took this long for it to appear

The UK's song was shit, that s why it did so badly, just accept it

This post has been edited by *Tim: May 24 2015, 10:22 AM

+Quote this post
classydude
post May 24 2015, 10:23 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,830
I don't think we should withdraw, I think we should go back to National Selection and maybe not be a Big Five.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post May 24 2015, 10:37 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
UK need to take a hard look at European Music, not sending high camp or dross all the time, as no other country will take us serious. Maybe we need a gimmick, it worked for Austria magic.gif seriously though

I have to agree we should go back to having a national selection, or send some decent acts, Eliza Doolittle, Birdy, Nerina Pallot, my personal best would be Bat For Lashes, but that will never happen, since Latvia and Georgia did well with that type of music genre.

+Quote this post
Qween
post May 24 2015, 10:49 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
It is just as simple as sending a GOOD, professional, song. The kind you would hear on the radio or people would actually BUY. We were so close to getting it right last year.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post May 24 2015, 10:56 AM
Post #6
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
This was actually posted... today? And not in 2008? At least change SOME of the wording. All that first post is missing is a longing for the return of Wogan in his senile years.

There have been numerous examples over the last few years of countries doing amazingly after several years in the wilderness. Netherlands and Austria last year, Belgium, Israel and Latvia this year - our time will come when we send a good song. Aminata could have been a Radio 1 darling in another life. It's not over for any country. Ever.
Not that it's even about doing well for most Brits anymore, we're rather accepting and it IS a fun show without the need to do well.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post May 24 2015, 10:56 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
At the risk of being repetitive, just look at the performance of recent UK entries in the UK charts. They have generally done poorly or worse. If the song isn't popular here, why should we expect it to be popular in the rest of Europe?

+Quote this post
Silas
post May 24 2015, 11:01 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
If you honestly expected us to do better than bottom 5 then you need to go get your hearing checked. We were utterly outclassed last night. If we're going to treat the contest like a joke then we have f*** all right to complain when Europe takes one look at our abysmal entry and ignores it.

Sweden have had 4 top 3 finishes in 5 years including 2 winners to overtake us on the all time rankings. That is what happens when you put effort into eurovision and attract some of the top talent your country has to offer. Look at Australia. They've been involved in every war we have and have been condemned internationally for the way they treat asylum seekers. They sent a huge Australian star with a fantastic track and it came top 5. It's not political at all. It's about quality. Our entry had no hook. There was no chorus it was just monotonous. Bad song = bad score. Simples.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post May 24 2015, 11:09 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275
Exactly! Or do like Finland does: we are experimenting with all genres possible from europop (Waldo's People) and traditional (Kuunkuiskaajat) to metal (Lordi, Teräsbetoni), poprock (Softengine), basic pop (Krista Siegfrids) and punk (Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät) tongue.gif

We're not exactly winning but having a blast!

This post has been edited by SKOB: May 24 2015, 11:10 AM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post May 24 2015, 11:22 AM
Post #10
Group icon
^And that's part of the reason Finland are my favourite Eurovision nation. Never the same thing twice and it's normally excellent whatever they send. happy.gif And the more any country keeps experimenting the more likely you'll strike gold somewhere along the line.

Rather that than be stuck in a rut and continue sending awful entries. Electro Velvet were my favourite UK entry for a while but that's not the case for many people and we have been on a fairly boring and samey ballad run for the last few years before that.

+Quote this post
nickthenoodle
post May 24 2015, 12:07 PM
Post #11
Group icon
livin' legend you can look but don't touch
User: 4,844
Yes the Eastern bloc of Australia, Sweden, Belgium and Italy proved yet again that western countrues can't do well.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post May 24 2015, 12:42 PM
Post #12
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
I used to think this as well, and I still do to a degree. I mean everyone last year on here saying we might possibly win, or come very close (and of course we didn't biggrin.gif). A lot of countries do hate us, and I do think that has an effect, a lot of the time it is because of our arrogance and expectancy to do well! However the songs we send it are absolute crap. But y'know Eurovision is a bit of a poisoned chalice in our country, if you want to make a career then being in Eurovision maybe isn't the best thing in the world to do.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post May 24 2015, 12:50 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
It's the same in most countries tho... I think the best for you to do is to send a fading X Factor star (Alexandra Burke for example) with a classy song.. That'd be surefire top ten for you right there.

And by classy song I don't mean Touch My Fire.

Next year we will hear and see lots of electronic music I reckon.

This post has been edited by SKOB: May 24 2015, 12:53 PM

+Quote this post
dandy*
post May 24 2015, 12:53 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
All of these responses are just as generic as the accusations you are firing at the opening post, I don't see any moaning in the first post that we don't win or anything... more an opinion that the contest is a bit shit and that the UK don't put any effort into it - it's perfectly logical to say that if we're not going to try, why continue to fund it in the first place?

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post May 24 2015, 12:56 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
^That's true.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 24 2015, 01:04 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
A good song is all that's needed,Russia is not what you would call a well liked country and look at the votes. I liked the uk entry and i also liked Ireland's entry in the semis but as soon as the performances finished you could just tell they were not of the same caliber of songs that did well. I wasn't a huge fan of Sweden this year but I can totally see why it won.,UK and us Irish have a lot of work to do to get a good result. Sweden are a shining example of how its done they really put work into it and they deserve their success.

A small element of neighbour voting does take place but I think overall it doesn't play a huge role.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post May 24 2015, 01:04 PM
Post #17
Group icon
QUOTE(dandystar @ May 24 2015, 01:53 PM) *
All of these responses are just as generic as the accusations you are firing at the opening post, I don't see any moaning in the first post that we don't win or anything... more an opinion that the contest is a bit shit and that the UK don't put any effort into it - it's perfectly logical to say that if we're not going to try, why continue to fund it in the first place?

True, but from what I can see, the majority of people still enjoy it as a fun night and it's still getting great viewing figures here, so there's very little reason to be trying to pull out anyway. That the contest is a bit shit is indeed an opinion so it shouldn't mean 'time to get out' or anything of the sort.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post May 24 2015, 01:19 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
That's fair enough... I don't particularly have a strong view on it either way but I can see that it's silly to just fund something routinely just so we can have a yearly joke - and the sad thing is I didn't even get to laugh this year as everything felt too serious and a bit more mundane than usual. I never thought I'd say this but I miss the likes of Verka Serduchka!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post May 24 2015, 01:21 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Oh believe me, we (the rabid ESC fans) do as well! I'm just clinging onto the hope that the whole of Europe saw how ballad-infested last night was and pushes the tempo up a lot next time.

+Quote this post
Umi
post May 24 2015, 02:48 PM
Post #20
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659
I don't get how people from the UK can complain. Just send songs that aren't shit and you'll do well again - until then you should take winning as seriously as you take the quality of your entries (i.e. not very). At least you're not France (they actively try and still haven't came top 20 since 2011...) or San Marino (they had to send 12 year olds this year). It would be so easy to make Eurovision a more serious institution in the UK again, too.

QUOTE(Rooney @ May 24 2015, 01:42 PM) *
I used to think this as well, and I still do to a degree. I mean everyone last year on here saying we might possibly win, or come very close (and of course we didn't biggrin.gif). A lot of countries do hate us, and I do think that has an effect, a lot of the time it is because of our arrogance and expectancy to do well! However the songs we send it are absolute crap. But y'know Eurovision is a bit of a poisoned chalice in our country, if you want to make a career then being in Eurovision maybe isn't the best thing in the world to do.

Molly isn't the only person ever expected to do well who flopped, it happens almost every year. And UK odds are always inflated so whenever you hear about a UK entry being a favorite you have to take it with a bucket of salt - Electro Velvet were top 20 on favourites just because... British people have delusions about doing well in things. I did watch Molly's performance again recently and honestly it was kinda rubbish (which I feel like was a popular opinion last year?). It could have done well with a strong performance but the song was let down.

The poisoned chalice aspect is the real problem with Eurovision in the country because it's the #1 reason you haven't sent an above entry this side of the century. But I'll never understand why British people have this perception that the rest of Europe hates them, or that it matters. Everyone this side of Ukraine hates Russia but that didn't stop western countries giving them consistently high points.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:46 PM