BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RESULTS: positions • the rate, Winner revealed!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brer
post 26th April 2021, 05:49 PM
Post #41
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Oh I see we're just being wrong now then xx (in what universe have some of the remaining songs beaten 'just like magic' sleep.gif)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 26th April 2021, 11:44 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

I didn't vote but omg 'just like magic' is top tier !

+Quote this post
coi
post 27th April 2021, 12:35 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

Yay for a big jump in average score but still, off the table finishing as low as 13th? sad.gif Sure it's not quite as incredible as Love Me Harder (and I can't help but think that the high expectations for the collab might have played a part) but it's such a moving moment on the album and of course Ari and The Weeknd sound amazing together on it! wub.gif

QUOTE(HausofArgento @ Apr 25 2021, 09:11 PM) *
mellow.gif

My favourite on the album - what a disaster for it on here!? It's stunning! Coi, let's grab our taste and leave xoxo

This!! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 27th April 2021, 04:01 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

11. TEST DRIVE
AVERAGE SCORE: 7.67

LOVE language: George.keh (11), Coi + Nina West (10)
NASTY: Tawdry Hepburn (2), HauseofArgento (5)

Aside from the interlude, Test Drive holds the distinction of being the shortest song on an album brimmed full of concise tracks with a total running time of two minutes and two seconds. During that time she manages to fit in car scheme very reminiscent of some of the lines found in her older songs, namely six thirty, Honeymoon Avenue & imagine. Ari uses this scheme to show her willingness to commit to her lover with lines such as “No second guessin', checkin' the rearview, ain't lookin' back unless it's right at you” and “Baby, I'm sold on you, so I don't ever gotta test drive nothin'”.

This was the only deluxe track to have bothered the charts when it spent a week at #38 earlier in the year. However, this was almost not the case as it was seriously close to appearing on the original version of Positions released in October. In a livestream preceding the release of the 34+35 remix music video, Ariana admitted that she had a massive dilemma choosing between this and one other track, saying “it was kind of like, the hardest decision for me was whether or not test drive or love language was gonna fill … [the 11th] spot [on the tracklist]. These results show that we agree that she made the correct choice in the end with ‘love language’ still to come in the top 10.

Test Drive has some real lovers on here with George.keh giving it his coveted 11 and Coi & Nina West also providing it with two round 10’s. However, most weren’t as sold and some lower scores from Tawdy Hepburn and HauseofArgentino mean that it just falls short of that all important top 10.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 27th April 2021, 04:58 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

These results continue to be full of surprises as I did not expect fellow bonus track ‘worst behaviour’ to out-perform ‘test drive’!

‘test drive’ has been a bit of a slow burner for me. Ari managing to get a bonus track top 40 *.*

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 27th April 2021, 05:05 PM
Post #46
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047

ROBBED

+Quote this post
coi
post 27th April 2021, 09:23 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Too early for test drive to be out as well really sad.gif I do think it's a little short but at least those two minutes are great!

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 28th April 2021, 03:30 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454

That was far too early for 'test drive', underrated apparently. But yes I do agree that 'love language' deserved a sport over it.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 28th April 2021, 06:00 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Julian Nial

10. LOVE LANGUAGE
AVERAGE SCORE: 7.73

LOVE language: ...ready for it, blacksquare + LMLou (10)
NASTY: coi (0), Bré (5)

So here we are at the top 10 countdown!

No 11s this time but a respectable amount of 9 to 10 scores across the board, minus a couple of little blips in there. Without the tragic 0 from Coi (shady. laugh.gif ) The track would have finished top 5 where it truly belongs. laugh.gif (Not that I'm biased of course. laugh.gif)

What's also tragic is that 'love language' remains the lowest streamed track from the original tracklist. For me this is a clear highlight and a gorgeous, original and interesting track. It gives me cool, sleek bar that opens until 3 in the morning background music, and I'm not mad.

'love language' also contains and outro which was originally intended to be an Interlude rumoured to be called 'home' or 'my home' track but was scrapped due to it's short length.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 28th April 2021, 06:04 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Alone and wounded

Pleased that 'love language' made the top 10 despite the 0! I'd say it peaked in my affections pretty early - as in I would've given it a 10 months ago but 'only' awarded it a 9 now - but still a standout for sure. The production is really quite different compared to the rest of the album.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 28th April 2021, 07:06 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Most of those songs outside the top 10 are barely listenable, but 'Love Language' is a good 'un!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 28th April 2021, 08:36 PM
Post #52
Group icon

'love language' has unfortunately just fallen more and more flat for me the more I've heard it - it's one of the more upbeat songs on the album and yet still one of the most boring songs on there to me. (Not being quite as harsh as coi though ofc kink.gif)

+Quote this post
coi
post 28th April 2021, 08:46 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Juliannnial @ Apr 28 2021, 07:00 PM) *
10. LOVE LANGUAGE
What's also tragic is that 'love language' remains the lowest streamed track from the original tracklist.

Glad it's not just me then kink.gif

It does stand out but not in a good way for me, it feels like it doesn't really fit that well in the album at all, right from the start of the song the production sounds quite out of place after west side! The outro also doesn't seem necessary (probably would have worked better as an interlude but even then it would be very short) and the song itself is pretty meh for me, it's one of only two songs on an otherwise pretty strong album that I don't go back to at all aside from when I'm listening to it in full (with shut up being the other)! I did think at one point that giving it a 0 seemed a bit too harsh but seeing that it could have ended up top five otherwise, I have no regrets laugh.gif

Yay for a good quality top nine anyway!

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 28th April 2021, 08:55 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Julian Nial

QUOTE(coi @ Apr 28 2021, 09:46 PM) *
Glad it's not just me then kink.gif

0 seemed a bit too harsh but seeing that it could have ended up top five otherwise, I have no regrets laugh.gif

Yay for a good quality top nine anyway!

Just shows you how much each vote counts. Every opinion is perfectly valid and as you said there are others that agree ofcourse. I'll agree that the Outro comes across quite pointless.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 28th April 2021, 08:55 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Alone and wounded

The outro still throws me off every time laugh.gif

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 29th April 2021, 02:06 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

Love Language deserved the top 5 spot sad.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 29th April 2021, 05:11 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Alone and wounded

09. NASTY
AVERAGE SCORE: 7.8

LOVE language: ...ready for it, Juliannial (10), blacksquare, LewisGT (9)
NASTY: Tawdry Hepburn, Nick F1, HausofArgento, Nina West (6), George.keh, JosephStyles, coi (7.5)

Next up track 9 on the album 'nasty' fittingly finishes in 9th place! I believe that this song was our first taste of the 'positions' era, when Ari posted a snippet of it on instagram all the way back in March last year. Of course we had no idea that a fully fledged era would be landing in 6 months time. The snippet promised something dreamy although the title sounded suggestive. It pretty much does straddle the line between both. 'nasty' has some of the most racy lyrics on the album - such as "like this pussy designed for ya" - but also uses astrology imagery with the "you're a whole constellation" line. Sonically it opens with a very similar intro to 'The Way' from back in 2013 but quickly morphs into a 2020 style Ari mid-tempo jam. Ariana was singing "I got a bad boy I must admit it" as far back as 'The Way' so her cheeky side has never been secretive in her music. She is explicitly stating that she wants to get nasty here which is exactly the kind of lyrical content I was expecting from an album called 'positions'. I'd say this and '34+35' are peak lewd though and that the whole body of work wasn't as in-your-face as I was anticipating. Ari sounds heavenly on 'nasty' and treats us to whistle notes from the word go. It's backed with a combination of trappy beats and hand-claps, plus some brief lower backing vocals that sing the title. Re-listening to it now has reminded me that the bridge is one of my favourites on the record. She sounds lush throughout but that section is a particularly magical moment.

...ready for it and co-mod Julian are the biggest 'nasty' fans in the AF as they award it a perfect 10! On the other hand Aly, Bal and Nick thought this was more of a 6 on the album. I gave it an 8 so right in the middle of both sides! This was randomly a bit of a 7.5 magnet.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 29th April 2021, 05:46 PM
Post #58
Group icon

That's 2 of my top 3 gone already then sleep.gif

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 29th April 2021, 05:49 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Julian Nial

QUOTE(Jade @ Apr 29 2021, 06:11 PM) *
Sonically it opens with a very similar intro to 'The Way'

Omg I never noticed that! ohmy.gif It is isn't it!

Another one gone that deserved top 5. sad.gif

I wouldn't be mad if it randomly dropped as a single and I think it'd do big things.

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post 30th April 2021, 03:41 AM
Post #60
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454

nasty is my second favorite.

+Quote this post