BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Taylor Swift - Singles Rate: Results, FULL RESULTS ON PAGE 7...
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Cameron
post Mar 28 2020, 07:20 PM
Post #61
THE BLAZE *.*
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,061

Everyone waits for their 22nd birthday to post lyrics to 22
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Mar 28 2020, 07:27 PM
Post #62
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(Cameron @ Mar 28 2020, 07:20 PM) *
Everyone waits for their 22nd birthday to post lyrics to 22

Mood, almost every message I received for my birthday last year included a link or lyrics to this song laugh.gif

Also, I've just realised that I forgot to react to '...Ready For It?' dropping out! It's legitimately in my Taylor top 5, what an exhilarating single wub.gif

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Mar 29 2020, 11:59 AM
Post #63
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

You’ve could’ve been getting down to this sick beat

#17. Shake It Off | Avg.7.562

Highest Scores: 11: (Bjork), 10: (Monzo, FUTURE NOSTALGIA, SamJudd, ready for it, JosephInSpace), Lowest Scores: 1: (WinterFreeze)

At #17 we lose the biggest hit of Taylor's career to date 'Shake It Off', released in August 2014 as the lead single from her 5th studio album '1989' & would mark a major departure from her earlier Country sound, while the last album also started too move away from that sound (but still had in there), this era would move away from it completely & while there are mixed reactions; it didn't stop this from becoming a huge smash hit by debuting at #1 on the US Top 100 & go onto sell over 10 Million copies there & earn a Diamond certification. Elsewhere it also topped the charts in Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, Hungary, New Zealand, Poland & Slovakia, then top 5 peaks in several other countries such as the UK where it would go onto sell over 1.6 Million copies & also being her biggest seller to date.

The song's impact speaks for itself, not only was this an obvious sure-fire hit, but it shot Taylor well & truly up there with the all-time biggest female singers on a global scale. Full of sharp tongued wit & a catchy chorus that's hard to dislodge from your brain, as well being full of irresistible up-beat hooks that makes it a near perfect pop song, although the over-play did cause annoyance, but it's still a great little pop track, it's also worth noting that this was the perfect track to introduce the almighty "1989" era, which I think we can all agree that not only was it her most successful era, but also her best & due to its level of greatness she's really struggled to keep up with ever since.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Mar 29 2020, 12:15 PM
Post #64
   No Gallery Pics

Any guesses as what's gonna drop next...

There may be a hint on the under heading rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Mar 29 2020, 12:16 PM

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Mar 29 2020, 08:33 PM
Post #65
   No Gallery Pics

And snakes and stones never broke my bones

#16. You Need To Calm Down | Avg.7.625

Highest Scores: 11: (Nick F1), 10: (Monzo, ready for it, Jack), Lowest Scores: 0: (WinterFreeze)

At #16 is "You Need To Calm Down", released in June 2019 as the 2nd single from her 7th studio album "Lover". The track addresses homophobia and her detractors in the song while simultaneously voicing her support for the LGBTQ+ community. Upon release music critics were divided with some praising it while others found it's message confusing & cynical. But nonetheless the song became a success by debuting at #2 on the US Top 100, becoming the album's 2nd top 2 hit & like its predecessor it was blocked from the top spot by "Old Town Road" by Lil Nas X (ft Billy Ray Cyrus). Elsewhere it also made top 5 peaks Australia, Canada, Hungary, Malaysia, Ireland, Lebanon & UK, becoming her 13th top 10 hit there.

Wow this has done pretty well considering the lead could only scrape the bottom 50 of this rate. I think its fair to say that this follow up is a vast improvement & certainly more creative with its message that adds some value to her extensive discography. Featuring some elastic bass, bright synths & some fun electro pop production which gives it that perfect summery feel. Taylor definitely shows growth & progression with this & while I do commend her for the song's message, however I can't help feel that she sort of misses the point in its lyrical structure & kinda comes across more as clunky & quite clumsy in its execution. Although I did like the music video (really enjoyed the cameos), despite the obvious pandering & even that Katy Perry scene got lost in the shuffle & felt like an obvious attempt at grabbing headlines instead of being something genuine. On the whole its still a pretty fine & effective pop song, although a little wordy, its still a fine effort.

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Mar 30 2020, 05:54 AM
Post #66
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

oh poor Shake it Off, I think I gave it my 11
it's a great song with great melody and genious lyrics, don't get the hate

in comparison, Calm Down is much weaker but alas..

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Mar 30 2020, 05:57 PM
Post #67
   No Gallery Pics

You gave me roses and I left them there to die...

#15. Back To December | Avg.7.718

Highest Scores: 11: (Riser), 10: (SamJudd, JosephInSpace), Lowest Scores: 4: (Nick F1, Bjork)

At #15 is the beautiful Country ballad "Back To December", released in November 2010 as the 2nd single from her 3rd studio album "Speak Now". Lyrically the song deals with a remorseful plea for forgiveness for breaking up with a former lover, which makes this the first time Taylor's ever apologized to a former boyfriend in a form of a song (normally she scorns them). It is often speculated to be about actor Taylor Lautner, which was actually later confirmed by the actor himself in an interview in 2016. Upon release the track received critical acclaim & became a commercial success by peaking at #6 on the US Top 100, while faring better on the US Country charts by peaking at #3 & going onto sell over 2 Million copies there. Elsewhere it was a moderate hit by hitting top 10 in Canada while making top 30 peaks in Australia & New Zealand.

A beautifully produced and subtly orchestral ballad that sets a really nice somber tone, as well as putting an intriguing angle of casting Taylor as the humbled heartbreaker rather than being the one whose spurned, which puts a rather interesting spin on things on a ballad that's both pensive & catchy. While this was a big step for her at time, but I wouldn't call this ground-breaking, but it does show her evolving sensitivity & how masterful she has become as a singer, very matured as her vocals really shines throughout on this lovely little number & a true standout in her brilliant discography.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Mar 30 2020, 10:24 PM
Post #68
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I really love '22', for some bizarre reason.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Mar 31 2020, 05:10 PM
Post #69
   No Gallery Pics

Washed up and ranting about the same old bitter things

#14. Mean | Avg.7.843

Highest Scores: 10: (FUTURE NOSTALGIA, SamJudd, WinterFreeze), Lowest Scores: 4 (Nick F1)

At #14 is another slice of Country Taylor "Mean", released in March 2011 as the 3rd single from her 3rd studio album "Speak Now". The song garnered positive reviews for its lyrical detail and profound country sound & became a commercial success by peaking at #11 on the US Top 100 as well as reaching #2 on the US Country charts & went onto sell over 2.5 Million copies. Elsewhere it hit top 10 in Canada & charted in the top 50 in Australia. Later the song went onto win 2 Grammys for 'Best Country Song' & Best Country Solo Performance, while also being ranked by 'Rolling Stone' at #24 on their list of the 100 greatest Country songs of all-time, the highest ranking for a song released in the 21st century and only one of three to be released in the 2010s.

What's not to like about this a defiantly upbeat anti-bullying anthem with infectious top-tapping guitar strums & of course Taylor's playful vocals over it's Bluegrass acoustic flavoured production that makes the whole thing joyful with a naturally appealing melody. This also shows a rare moment of vulnerability in its lyrics as well as being funny and extremely self-aware. On the whole all of these things make for a very strong Country/Pop tune, a fire highlight in her early career.

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Apr 1 2020, 07:34 PM
Post #70
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

yeah I was expecting all those to drop out around here.

Bad Blood - I am SHOCKED it made top 20, I thought it'd be bottom 10. Maybe cos its just the single version aha which is 10000x better than the album version. Great track but I'd have a lil bit lower
22 - such a BOP but would have it around there
Shake It Off - deserved WAY higher but not surprised as all the singles with mixed reactions seem to be struggling in this rate bar BB. sad.gif( such an uplifting fabulous classic that never gets old for me
You Need To Calm Down - bop but bit too high
Back to December - beautiful but a bit too high
Mean - such a classic and I'm impressed how well this did!

I love THREE Speak Now songs making the top 15, finally getting some appreciation wub.gif wub.gif Gutted Mine is 13th though, it deserves higher sad.gif(

shocked one of Delicate, New Romantics or The Man made the top 10 ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Apr 2 2020, 06:07 PM
Post #71
   No Gallery Pics

You learn my secrets and you figure out why I'm guarded

#13. Mine | Avg.7.937

Highest Scores: 10: (SamJudd, JosephInSpace), Lowest Scores: 4: (Nick F1, Bjork)

At #13 we say goodbye to the last of the "Speak Now" era singles with "Mine", released in August 2010 as that album's lead single & following an unauthorized leak of the song it was released 2 weeks earlier than intended. Upon release the song received mostly positive reviews & became a huge success by debuting at #3 on the US Top 100 with 297,000 digital downloads sold in its first week, which makes this the 8th eighth-biggest debut sales week ever for a digital song. This also made Taylor the second female artist in the history of the Hot 100 to debut multiple tracks in the top five during a calendar year after Mariah Carey did so in 1995. Elsewhere it was a moderate success with top 10 peaks in Japan, Canada & Australia, top 20 peaks in New Zealand and Hungary, as well as top 40 peaks in UK, Ireland & Belgium (Wallonia).

This is a good steady choice for a lead single with this twangy yet tender powerful Country/Pop track with a rousing chorus with some snappy lyrical storytelling sprinkled throughout. Also this is a firm reminder that she can capture the rhythms of a lasting relationship just as vividly as heartbreak, which proves her song-writing is still as strong as ever. Although this song while still great does have that hint of retreading old ground with its production that feels very similar to what was on her first 2 albums that gives you sense that she was reaching the limits of the Country/Pop sound that made her famous in the first place. Thankfully she would change things up with her next album, which would turn out to be a wise career move for her, as if she stayed in this lane, then she could have stagnated artistically & commercially, and not be where she is today.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Apr 3 2020, 03:17 AM

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Apr 2 2020, 06:22 PM
Post #72
   No Gallery Pics

Another will drop later this evening, any guesses...

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Apr 2 2020, 07:03 PM
Post #73
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Love Story did not miss the top 10 WTF?? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif: ohmy.gif that always comes like top 5 as well, wow that's a shock.

(and these guesses are pretty easy when you're revealing the songs in the subtitle aha kink.gif )

+Quote Post
StupidLove
post Apr 2 2020, 08:42 PM
Post #74
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 104,307
   No Gallery Pics

Mean is a gem! Criminally underrated

+Quote Post
Riser
post Apr 3 2020, 12:47 AM
Post #75
The horrors persist, but so do I
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

'Mine' is great but I'm sure I didn't give it an 11!

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Apr 3 2020, 03:20 AM
Post #76
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Riser @ Apr 3 2020, 01:47 AM) *
'Mine' is great but I'm sure I didn't give it an 11!

Whoops sorry about that, I put u down as 11 on both this & 'Back To December' (corrected now)… hithead.gif

Thanks for the heads up

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Apr 3 2020, 11:55 AM
Post #77
THE BLAZE *.*

I should have voted

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Apr 3 2020, 11:55 AM
Post #78
THE BLAZE *.*

I should have voted

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Apr 3 2020, 03:07 PM
Post #79
   No Gallery Pics

You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess

#12. Love Story | Avg.7.968

Highest Scores: 10: (FUTURE NOSTALGIA, SamJudd, George.keh, WinterFreeze), Lowest Scores: 2: (Tawdry Hepburn)

At #12 is the ever wonderful "Love Story", released in September 2008 as the lead single from her 2nd album "Fearless" . Widely considered as her signature song & was written solely by Taylor herself about a love interest who wasn't popular among her family & friends, because of the scenario she related the plot to 'Romeo & Juliet', but replacing the sad ending with a happy one. The song upon release received wide critical praise & became a huge commercial success by reaching #4 in the USA, becoming her first top 5 hit & went onto sell over 9 Million paid digital downloads, making this her one of her biggest sellers to date. Elsewhere it also became her international breakthrough by topping the Australian charts & hitting top 5 in UK, Ireland, Canada, Japan, New Zealand & Belgium (Flanders). With worldwide sales of over 15 Million, becoming one of the best selling singles of all-time.

Wow I am totally shocked that this missed the top 10 on here, thought it would have been a dead-cert, but oh well. Anyway this song is just fantastic & perhaps marked the moment of when her song-writing prowess fully revealed itself & while she obviously loves using that fairytale trope (especially on her early albums), however here the inflections are done well which lends that extra bit of drama to its romantic tone. This was first time that I got introduced to Taylor Swift & became an instant firm fan ever since with this stunning track that's a well deserved crossover hit which is full of her usual charm and just a perfect introduction to a worldwide audience.

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Apr 3 2020, 05:59 PM
Post #80
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

this is too cheesy, never liked it, glad it's gone

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:08 PM