BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Celebration VS Where In The World, What would have made the better final PWL single?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Which is better...
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 11
Guests cannot vote 
Nina West
post 1st October 2019, 12:03 AM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Simple question, seems as though "Celebration" is often cited Kylie's worst single & a limp & not very fitting end to her PWL years. But would the other new track on her 'Greatest Hits' album "Where In The World" done any better.. It's not mentioned all that much, but when it does get talked about Kylie fans do seem to like it.

However in my opinion, considering that 'What Kind of Fool" only went to #14, I highly doubt this would have done any better, but is it the better song...

Please share your thoughts...
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 1st October 2019, 10:11 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

It is the better song and at the time it was released I loved it and wanted it to be a single. Looking back its prob best it wasnt as I dont think it would have done any better than celebration.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 1st October 2019, 02:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

I prefer the very much forgotten Where in the World.
This was a catchy number but listening to it now it lacked what would have been needed for a big hit.

+Quote this post
aeroco
post 1st October 2019, 02:46 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,392

Where in the World lacks the magic needed to be a single...so Celebration edges it. By this point her PWL career was dead and buried. The GP were not interested in WKOF onwards.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 1st October 2019, 02:59 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

If Kylie had renewed her PWL contract, do you think the singles to promote the original Greatest Hits would have been stronger?
It does, on reflection, appear that PWL were losing their way with Kylie and didn't know how to progress her career.
They did it brilliantly with her first 3 albums, but thereafter, it was like they hit a stumbling block.
I also feel PWL didn't have the team to bring Kylie and her career to the next level.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 1st October 2019, 09:06 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

Celebration is such a meh song for me anyway that Kylie’s version didn’t make me love it anymore. I was disappointed that compared to her previous PWL success it was essentially a flop for her at the time but looking back it performed like it deserved too - I don’t think WITW even though I really like it would have performed any better.

As a side note the artwork for Celebration was much better for the Australian release too!

+Quote this post
pippa
post 1st October 2019, 09:38 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The UK sleeve was extremely dull.
Celebration, as an original isnt a song i have ever truly enjoyed, very meh as you say.
Celebration was a nod to "celebrating" the Kylie and PWL years but it was also a complete your contract recording.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 1st October 2019, 11:13 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Def a complete your contract job and wrap things up release but kylie really seems to enjoy performing it.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 2nd October 2019, 05:13 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Kylie must have great love for the song when we consider how many performances she has delivered of the song since she released it.
Once again, Celebration also made the track listing of yet another Greatest Hits.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 2nd October 2019, 07:54 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

Where in the world is a better song. It’s not a cheap cover and quite a nice tune but I still don’t think it would have done great and would have missed the T10.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 2nd October 2019, 08:15 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I really could not have seen Where in The World performing much stronger than Celebration.
At most it may have equaled the chart performance of What Kind of Fool (Heard All That Before).

+Quote this post
Hide&Seek
post 2nd October 2019, 09:35 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 3,500

I pretty much loved almost everything in her SAW days, but wasn't mad about What Kind Of Fool, though bought it on cassette single. The B side (Things Can Only Get Better) being a million times stronger than the A side and far more single worthy in it's own right ,maybe had an effect on my feelings for it.

Celebration is such a well known Kool & The Gang hit that her version sounded so weak by comparison. I bought it on cassette single too, but it got chewed up.

After not loving those singles, WITW showed that she wasn't heading 'for the dumper'. I was sure it was gonna be a single, and it showed that she could still make fabulous songs if she really tried.
WITW has been my all time fav Kylie song from that day to this !

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 3rd October 2019, 12:00 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I still like where in the world but loved it at the time and I was sure it was going to be a single, was it planned as a single as I have something telling me that at the time there was rumour it was going to be a single. I still think it's a far far better song than New York city, I just cant get into that song at all.

This post has been edited by Feel_The_Fever: 3rd October 2019, 12:06 AM

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 3rd October 2019, 01:41 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Kylie's version of 'Celebration' is rather uninspired but I don't mind it. Out of this and 'Where in the World', it's the better closing single for her PWL days.

'Where in the World' is okay but doesn't pack the punch needed to be a single.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 3rd October 2019, 09:41 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

It does lack punch but then again so does New York city boy and it was still a single.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 3rd October 2019, 01:25 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

New York City is bland and forgettable, i remain of the same thoughts as when i initially heard it, it was a worse promotional/bonus track than Celebration.
The song wasn't good enough for Golden as an album track so upgrading it to the single to promote SBIT was a terrible choice.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 3rd October 2019, 11:01 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

It really should never have been considered for a single let alone become one.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 4th October 2019, 02:59 AM
Post #18
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

While I do think that "Where In The World" is the better song, I do agree that it wouldn't have done any better than "Celebration" and looking at the week it came out, it was the 3rd highest new entry & the highest new entry that week was at #14 Deacon Blue - Your Town & Shabba Ranks at #17. So it seems like a somewhat slow week see below the top 20 chart for the week it came oyut=

22/11/1992

POS LW WoC

01. (01) 05 CHARLES AND EDDIE - WOULD I LIE TO YOU
02. (04) 03 Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
03. (02) 13 Boyz II Men - End of The Road
04. (09) 02 Heaven 17 - Temptation (Brothers In Rhythm Remix)
05. (05) 03 Undercover - Never Let Her Slip Away
06. (14) 02 Prodigy - Out of Space/Ruff In The Jungle Bizness
07. (03) 06 Arrested Development - People Everday
08. (12) 02 Guns N' Roses - Yesterdays
09. (06) 04 The Shamen - Boss Drum
10. (07) 02 Genesis - Invisible Touch (Live)
11. (11) 02 Simply Red - The Montreux EP
12. (08) 08 Vanessa Paradis - Be My Baby
13. (10) 05 Rage - Run To You
14. NE: 01 Deacon Blue - Your Town
15. (15) 08 Erma Franklin - (Take A Little) Piece of my Heart
16. (17) 07 En Vogue - Free Your Mind/Giving Him Something He Can Feel
17. NE: 01 Shabba Ranks (Ft Johnny Gill) - Slow And Sexy
18. (13) 05 Ambassadors of Funk - Supermarioland (Ft MC Mario)
19. (42) 02 Brian May - Back To The Light
20. NE: 01 Kylie Minogue - Celebration

21. NE: Carter - The Unstoppable Sex Machine - The Impossible Dream
26. NE: Jason Donovan - As Time Goes By
27. NE: Diana Ross - If We Hold On Together
31. NE: Chris Rea - God's Great Banana Skin
33. NE: Maxi Priest (Ft Apache Indian) - Just Wanna Know
38. NE: Bassheads - Who Can Make Me Feel Good

9 New entries in the top 40 that week (take back what I said about it being a slow week), & of note Jason Donovan also entered the charts that week at #26 with "As Time Goes By" (which would also be its peak position. No new entries in the top 10, but seems Kylie was well and truly overshadowed by several big hits by the likes of 'Charles & Eddie', 'Whitney Houston', 'Boyz II Men' & 'Heaven 17' all vying for attention in the top 5, as well as big artists such as 'Prodigy', 'Guns N' Roses' & 'Genesis' all occupying the top 10, so it seems that Kylie was pretty lucky to go top 20 just above 'Carter - The Impossible Sex Machine'.

Looking at this while it would have been interesting to see how 'Where In The World' would have fared, but in no-way would it have done any better (maybe the fact that 'Celebration' was a cover may have helped give it that slight edge) & 'WITW' may have missed out on a top 20 placing.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: 6th October 2019, 02:02 AM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 4th October 2019, 10:10 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I forgot both kylie and Jason released the same week but after the performance of Jason's previous single mission of love ( really Like that song) his performance was no surprise. Many of the songs above kylie were huge hits so she def got lost in that and fair point the fact it was a cover of a well known song probably slightly helped her which where in the world wouldnt have had the advantage of. Kylies original greatest hits had a short chart run but does anyone know its sales for the week it was number 1?

+Quote this post
pippa
post 4th October 2019, 01:35 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

80% of the songs above Kylie on that chart are big selling singles, with Celebration, not one of Kylie's best singles and her popularity on the decrease, making it to the top 20 with a poor cover version was a good result when we examine it.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 01:48 PM