BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Catalonia
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post 27th September 2015, 10:05 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

So the pro-Independence parties have won a majority in the Catalan state government and have now declared that they will demand to break away from Spain in the next 18 months.

Will we get a new country? Will Real Madrid and Barcelona continue to play in the same league? What impact will this have on the Basque County, Scotland and The Eurovision Song Contest?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 27th September 2015, 10:15 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I'm interested (and slightly apprehensive) to see how it will resolve itself when it all comes to a head. Some party's going to end up disappointed and I couldn't say which it'll be. Because neither of them look like backing down.

If it does become a new country peacefully that'd be probably the ideal situation as long as Spain can stand to lose one part without any of the other parts wanting similar. I don't like the idea of Catalonians wanting statehood and being denied it.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 27th September 2015, 10:34 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

It will indeed be very interesting. Of course, if they do become independent, Catalonia will want to remain part of the EU. That is why Spain didn't support the idea of an independent Scotland retaining EU membership.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 28th September 2015, 12:21 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Catalonia representa one THIRD of the Spanish economy. It would be diaastrous for Spain and would only enxourage Catalan-speaking Italians to seek to join the new state and for the Basque country to leave too and enxourage separatismo (again!!) in Scotland.

Howeverrr, people voting for pro-indepwndence partes isn't necessarily a vote itself for independencia!

+Quote this post
Silas
post 28th September 2015, 07:54 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

For once Michael is right. The SNP got over 50% of the vote in May and next May could take even more than that but support for independence isn't above 50% (on average, yet).

Madrid will be even less co-operative and kosher about this than the London establishment was during indyref so I don't see this ending well for anyone.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 28th September 2015, 12:01 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

essentially this is the same situation as local government plans in Dorset. The rich parts want to keep the cash for themselves and break away from the whole leaving the remainder less-well-off.

In a nutshell you can couch it in terms of identity and language but no-one is forcing anyone not to hold whatever identity or speak whatever language they want to speak in a democratic country, so it's purely economics. If Catalonia was cash poor it wouldn't be an issue. I'm not in favour of any parts of current nations breaking away, there has to come a point when you say enough is enough, as nations fragment, then bits of the new nations are unhappy and they want to fragment further or rejoin the previous nation, it's just an unhappy ongoing process.

Spain won't agree to it, I would hazard a guess...

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 05:58 PM