BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

70 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'ARTPOP' • Album Discussion Thread, 3rd album | 2013 - Pitchfork review just in!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post 4th August 2012, 03:06 PM
Post #101
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

I agree, to say she's in a "less serious mood" it still sounds a bit pretentious. Not keen.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Hayzayy
post 5th August 2012, 06:51 PM
Post #102
Group icon
Who's Daniel btw ?
User: 1,804

make sure when writing about my new album/project ARTPOP that you CAPITALIZE the title

Sorry but this made me laugh when I saw it on FB. She takes herself a tiny bit too seriously, doesn't she ?
Bring back the "Just dance" girl pleeeease.

+Quote this post
Slick
post 5th August 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #103
Group icon
electric butterflies
Pronouns: he/him
User: 70

QUOTE(Davidson @ Aug 4 2012, 03:50 PM) *
Really? I agree, it sounds more fun but calling the music on the album 'art' sounds very pretentious to me.

Yeah I thought of that immediately after posting it. It sounds almost like she's implying that her 'pop' is better and more 'arty' than other pop. Which ain't at all the attitude I like in a popstar.

I still like the name though. It's probably my favourite of the three/four so far.

+Quote this post
jark
post 5th August 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #104
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990

QUOTE(Hayzayy @ Aug 5 2012, 07:51 PM) *
Bring back the "Just dance" girl pleeeease.

Don't we already have Britney for mindless generic pop music? I can't believe people would want that Gaga back after she developed her sound so brilliantly with Born This Way.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 5th August 2012, 07:53 PM
Post #105
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I think the problem these days is the image she projects of herself and that she does take herself too seriously/tries too hard.

Musically I can't really fault her.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 5th August 2012, 09:13 PM
Post #106
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

But her 'mindless pop' music shits all over "Born This Way". Give me "The Fame: Monster" any day over that "Government Hooker" drivel.

+Quote this post
Hayzayy
post 5th August 2012, 09:19 PM
Post #107
Group icon
Who's Daniel btw ?
User: 1,804

QUOTE(Jark @ Aug 5 2012, 07:50 PM) *

Don't we already have Britney for mindless generic pop music? I can't believe people would want that Gaga back after she developed her sound so brilliantly with Born This Way.

To me her music is nowhere as serious as she pretends it to be.
"Born this way" is a great pop song for example, but it's not more "serious" than the great pop songs that Britney or Katy P release. I don't have a problem with her music, I'm only questionning her atittude. I mean, she acts like her music is some kind of alternative when it's just good pop music. She's not Björk and she needs to stop acting like she is.

+Quote this post
Acoustic
post 5th August 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #108
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 8,919

She's always said that her music is art, even in the Just Dance days. I don't think she's pretentious.

She should stick to the Born This Way sound, a lot better than The Fame sound.

+Quote this post
jark
post 5th August 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #109
Group icon

QUOTE(Hayzayy @ Aug 5 2012, 10:19 PM) *
To me her music is nowhere as serious as she pretends it to be.
"Born this way" is a great pop song for example, but it's not more "serious" than the great pop songs that Britney or Katy P release. I don't have a problem with her music, I'm only questionning her atittude. I mean, she acts like her music is some kind of alternative when it's just good pop music. She's not Björk and she needs to stop acting like she is.

I get this and I sort of agree. I just separate Gaga the personality from Gaga the popstar really easily. It doesn't bother me that she's delusional and pretentious. When I stick Born This Way on I'm not listening to her ranting at a concert, I'm listening to a top notch pop record. That's good enough for me.

QUOTE(dannjohn3 @ Aug 5 2012, 10:13 PM) *
But her 'mindless pop' music shits all over "Born This Way". Give me "The Fame: Monster" any day over that "Government Hooker" drivel.

How can you compare an album with a song? That's redundant. And none of Britney's last three records even come close to Born This Way. She just turns up and sings what she's given so of course the quality is unlikely to compare.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 5th August 2012, 10:59 PM
Post #110
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

QUOTE(Jark @ Aug 5 2012, 11:21 PM) *

I get this and I sort of agree. I just separate Gaga the personality from Gaga the popstar really easily. It doesn't bother me that she's delusional and pretentious. When I stick Born This Way on I'm not listening to her ranting at a concert, I'm listening to a top notch pop record. That's good enough for me.
How can you compare an album with a song? That's redundant. And none of Britney's last three records even come close to Born This Way. She just turns up and sings what she's given so of course the quality is unlikely to compare.

Firstly, "Blackout" shits all over Lady Gaga's career.

Secondly, I was referring to songs in vein of "Government Hooker", there are many aspects to "Born This Way", some great, some awful i.e. "Government Hooker", "Born This Way", "Americano", "Fashion Of His Love". Need I go on? Whilst the quality of tracks like "Monster" and "Speechless" are wonderful.

And just because Britney doesn't overhype her music, and bang on and on about what the album means to her and it's worth and being an album of our generation, doesn't mean anything. None of us know what goes on behind closed doors, how do you know that Britney doesn't personally select the music herself? I mean it's very obvious she picks the majority of the singles.

OH and lastly, no-one has a problem with the fact Rihanna just turns up and sings whatever.

This post has been edited by dannjohn3: 5th August 2012, 11:04 PM

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 6th August 2012, 05:00 AM
Post #111
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

QUOTE(Jark @ Aug 5 2012, 06:21 PM) *

LOL. No.

BTW is the most pretentious album ever. Serious Gaga was good when she was doing 'The Fame Monster'.

I fail to see why people find BTW so great. It's solid, yet fails to compare to her previous work.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 6th August 2012, 03:04 PM
Post #112
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Now I love Gaga and Born This Way is one of my all time favourite albums (perhaps a bit premature to claim that but that's another story) but you can hardly deny the whole 'album of the century which will revolutionise pop' thing she was claiming for ages before release was pretentious!

She does admittedly take herself a bit too seriously, the whole 'you have to capitalise Artpop' thing is one example of that. I do love her beyond belief though, I think she just loves her music and that shows, but she needs to lighten up a little to be totally honest.

+Quote this post
▲▲▲
post 6th August 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #113
Group icon
INVITE ME TO YOUR SYNAGOGUE
User: 155

The word pretentious is thrown around way too much. It's such a lazy criticism. Her comment about Born This Way being the "album of this generation" was obviously misguided and moronic but she clearly gets caught up in her own hype.

No regressing back to 'The Fame' sound please. Other than being well managed and successful I don't quite understand why it is held with such high regard. It's just a few dated hits scattered across a basic and generic album. Everything she has done since then has been infinitely more interesting. She's developing as an artist, she doesn't need to be Rihanna or Katy Perry.

BASICALLY EVERYTHING JARK SAID.

+Quote this post
AaronTM
post 6th August 2012, 10:09 PM
Post #114
Group icon
salty foods parch the human
Pronouns: he/him
User: 4,631

I think the perfect sound for GaGa was the stuff from "The Fame Monster". It was a step up in quality and production from "The Fame" but not overbearingly so, like a lot of "Born This Way". I do like all three albums, but "Born This Way" featured song structures and production that made for difficult access. The charm of her music was lost and it effected my enjoyment of the album.

"ARTPOP" does give off a slightly pretentious vibe, but I'm glad that she seems to be doing something a bit more fun with the next album.

+Quote this post
jark
post 6th August 2012, 10:44 PM
Post #115
Group icon

QUOTE(AaronTM @ Aug 6 2012, 11:09 PM) *
I do like all three albums, but "Born This Way" featured song structures and production that made for difficult access.

I don't really understand this comment. Maybe one or two tracks didn't have a typical verse-chorus structure but most did and it's not like Girls Aloud ever got any criticism for putting out songs which avoided that formula - if anything the internet gays tried to claim them as left field pop geniuses for it!

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 7th August 2012, 12:04 AM
Post #116
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

QUOTE(▲▲▲ @ Aug 6 2012, 10:17 PM) *
The word pretentious is thrown around way too much. It's such a lazy criticism. Her comment about Born This Way being the "album of this generation" was obviously misguided and moronic but she clearly gets caught up in her own hype.

No regressing back to 'The Fame' sound please. Other than being well managed and successful I don't quite understand why it is held with such high regard. It's just a few dated hits scattered across a basic and generic album. Everything she has done since then has been infinitely more interesting. She's developing as an artist, she doesn't need to be Rihanna or Katy Perry.

BASICALLY EVERYTHING JARK SAID.

I third (?) all this, she's obviously got a knack for writing massive pop songs and it's just a case of balancing that with the sonic progression BTW offered.

+Quote this post
cassius__
post 7th August 2012, 04:17 AM
Post #117
Group icon
equally cursed & blessed
User: 6,654

I rather like the album title, certainly better than 'Born This Way' for me. I'm glad she's apparently in a 'less serious mood', which will hopefully reflect on this album. After being such a huge fan of the 'Fame/Fame Monster' era, 'Born This Way' left me disappointed to begin with. I think this was largely due to finding 'Born This Way' (the single) absolutely HORRIFIC and 'Judas' not being much better. Basically after the release of 'Marry The Night' I actually gave the album a chance, it's definitely a more consistent album than 'The Fame', but just doesn't have the highs of 'Just Dance' and 'Poker Face' for me.

'The Fame Monster' is BY FAR her best era, almost perfect, from the album itself, to the single choices and videos. I feel with 'Born This Way' she got caught up in her own hype and hopefully she'll return to being a bit LOONY, but not overbearingly so as seen in the 'BTW' era, where I think she actually thought she was the second coming.

I do hope one of the videos for 'ARTPOP', seeing as it'll be "less srs", will continue where 'Telephone' left off.

This post has been edited by Casey__: 7th August 2012, 04:19 AM

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 7th August 2012, 04:18 AM
Post #118
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

the hype she creates for these releases is so off-putting... for the 'born this way' album we were promised the album of a generation and an ode to everything that "keeps us up at night"... then she talks about oral sex and not having the freedom to have your hair LOL OKAY

if she stopped trying to tell us what her music is and let us decide i probably wouldn't find it so anticlimactic and downright ridiculous when she DOES reveal / release it. she's scarily creative, makes good pop songs... it literally is down to how seriously she takes herself and how inspirational she thinks she is. she always says "she's there for the fans" but she manipulates them and portrays herself as some sort of know-all figure / false idol to these adoring fans. it's so damn unhealthy. her music should be a vehicle to listen and relate like she's intending to but she makes it so heavy with all the extra crap on top that it's so difficult to absorb.

as an artist, she is making amazing sonic progression and if the new album is 'less serious' (capitalisation crisis ASIDE) then we should have the lightness of the fame / fame monster with the creativity she portrayed on 'born this way'. BEST OF BOTH~

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 7th August 2012, 03:13 PM
Post #119
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

QUOTE(✖ leww ✖ @ Aug 7 2012, 12:18 AM) *
the hype she creates for these releases is so off-putting... for the 'born this way' album we were promised the album of a generation and an ode to everything that "keeps us up at night"... then she talks about oral sex and not having the freedom to have your hair LOL OKAY

EXACTLY my point. I am not saying there aren't some great songs with a deep meaning on the album... but it was built up a lot differently then it came across in my headphones.

+Quote this post
April
post 7th August 2012, 03:22 PM
Post #120
Group icon
changed the game with that digital drop
User: 11,905

ARTPOP is a nice album title, a huge improvement on Born This Way. I don't see a problem in here saying it should be CAPITALISED. I wouldn't want people writing my new album title incorrectly if its intended in a certain way.

+Quote this post

70 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 02:07 AM