BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mark Goodier to host new retro chart show on GH Radio, in partnership with NOW Music
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mark.
post 19th February 2019, 05:10 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,928
https://radiotoday.co.uk/2019/02/mark-goodi...with-now-music/

Mark Goodier to host Sunday countdown with NOW Music

Written By UK Reporter February 19, 2019 - 12:16 pm 1,628 2

Greatest Hits Radio is introducing a retro chart countdown presented by Mark Goodier, in partnership with Now That’s What I Call Music.

Former BBC Radio 1 Top 40 host Mark, who is also the voice of the adverts for Now Music albums, will countdown music from the 70s 80s and 90s every Sunday from 5pm till 7pm, repeated Fridays at 7pm.

Speaking about the deal, Greatest Hits Radio Content Director, Andy Ashton said: “Our listeners love hearing music from their formative years and for many the NOW compilations mirror fond memories of good times old and new. Featuring hits throughout the decades of NOW’s reign, this chart countdown will be a fun nostalgic weekend trip for listeners.”

Mark Goodier told RadioToday: “The NOW compilations have been part of the British music fans’ lives for generations. Following our special 100th edition, this new countdown with Greatest Hits Radio felt like a great fit to bring the discography to life.”

Peter Duckworth of NOW! Music said “NOW albums have been charting people’s musical lives for over three and a half decades. The new “NOW that’s what I call a chart show” on Greatest Hits Radio will be a wonderful opportunity for music fans to hear the hits from NOW’s younger years.”
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
gavindeejay
post 19th February 2019, 05:20 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
User: 7,645
Sounds good. Looking forward to listening to this and Mark Goodier doing a chart show again!

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 19th February 2019, 05:38 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429
I wonder if it just a particular week from a particular year or is the format going to be slightly different, given the link to Now. I'll be listening anyway, I was disappointed he didn't get the gig on Pick of the Pops.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 19th February 2019, 05:46 PM
Post #4
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208
What amazing news! Mark was my chart show host on Radio 1 back in the day so I'll definitely be listening to this.

+Quote this post
Gambo
post 20th February 2019, 12:21 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,106
For me this would be a bit of a disappointment if it didn't use a format of picking an official chart from say this week in a previous year from the 1970s-'90s (or possibly the official best-sellers of the year as a whole), as I think it would be more apt to have the authoritative-yet-engaging chart delivery style of Mark Goodier associated with a proper countdown of some gravitas, rather than some retrospectively-made-up countdown with little meaning. But it worries me that it seems inextricably-linked to the Now! series, as I can't see them not using this as an opportunity to promote the currently-flagging compilation brand by - presumably - only picking songs that were (or have subsequently been) included on at least one of their albums, which would narrow the field and make countdowns predictably selective. Obviously that couldn't apply to contemporaneously-issued regular Now! releases for years prior to 1983 when they started, but I believe the brand has since issued numerous retrospective editions covering tracks from prior to its own inception, so technically they could probably be able to cover the '70s/early '80s via those. Maybe they'll do a countdown of a genuine vintage chart, but will only play the songs that featured on a Now! album? Either way it'll be good to hear Mark's voice counting down hit singles once again if only for nostalgia, but the programme will miss a trick if it doesn't seek to become an authentic and better rival to Pick Of The Pops as the vintage chart show of note, irrespective of whether music played has a direct feature on a Now! package.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 20th February 2019, 12:29 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
it would seem that anyone old enough to love the music of the 60's can now take a running jump on all radio stations, while those who love the music of the noughties can also jolly well wait until they are old enough to join the forthcoming nostalgia-fest of the late 20's as people old enough to go all tearful for the 80's, 90's and 00's....

Call me a pop chart freak but I want to hear charts from every decade, including the early years of this one now it's nearly over tongue.gif

+Quote this post
chartjack2
post 20th February 2019, 01:14 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,383
This sounds just like Pick of the Pops on Radio 2....

+Quote this post
The Hit Parade
post 20th February 2019, 07:34 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 18,521
I suspect it might be more like the "80s Chart Show" on Absolute 80s (but with more decades obv) and I never listen to that because it's not even a real chart, more a bunch of records they play anyway that are from roughly the right time.

As much as I'm biased, I'd find a show that was based on actual Now albums quite interesting as an opportunity to play some of the less obvious (from a present-day perspective) selections that showed up on there, but I can't see why they'd do that. Bit late to promote, say, Now 33 when it's been out of print for 20 years, surely?

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 10th March 2019, 05:45 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429
So the show's on at the moment and the format is a track that peaked in the charts each month of the year for 2 years - today 1978 and 1991.

So it's not really a chart, but it's presented as if it is! It's a nice listen.

This post has been edited by AcerBen: 10th March 2019, 05:52 PM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 04:28 PM