BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Music' • album discussion, 8th album | 2000
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
vibe
post 21st June 2020, 01:48 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

The songs production and lyrics are anything but safe. When the lyrics were leaked before the song everyone thought it was going to be a disaster !!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 21st June 2020, 02:38 PM
Post #22
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(vibe @ Jun 21 2020, 02:48 PM) *
The songs production and lyrics are anything but safe. When the lyrics were leaked before the song everyone thought it was going to be a disaster !!
... Weeeeelllllll....

kink.gif

+Quote this post
Cremey
post 22nd June 2020, 04:17 PM
Post #23
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

I loooove Music the song! It's one that I've liked since it was released but I've appreciated it even more over the last few years.
Adore the production so much, love how much there is going on in it. Love how it builds, and that synth (?!) going throughout which really gets going in the second half heart.gif

I've only started listening to her albums in full over the last couple of years (no idea why I hadn't listened to them properly before...) but this is up there with my favourites. Nothing will top Ray of Light though!

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 24th June 2020, 12:28 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

Listening to this album whilst sat in the sun wub.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 25th June 2020, 06:36 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

I can't remember how much I initially liked this album, but I can see where Jonjo is coming from when he says the album mostly passed him by so I feel I may have had the same thoughts. It's a 'lighter' album compared to 'Ray of Light' and there's more subtleties to the production, but that ends up becoming its selling point. Listening with headphones, it's a great album to chill out to in the summer whilst enjoying the little flourishes that seem to ease into your consciousness. The Orbit and Mirwais songs compliment each other well - would certainly have been interesting to hear them together.

The title track and 'Don't Tell Me' are two of her best and I have much love for 'Impressive Instant', 'I Deserve It' and 'Gone' too.

QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Jun 19 2020, 12:04 AM) *
Isn’t this her album where she had her highest ever weekly albums total in the UK even though it was during a week it wasn’t even at #1. Bc sales were so huge back then and she’d just released a huge album prior to this there was real love for Madonna throughout this era wub.gif

Correct - it sold 246k at #4 on Christmas week! The album debuted with 152k which made it Madonna's fastest selling album at the time too.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 25th June 2020, 06:41 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Jord

I dunno if this passed me by or not as I kinda fully got into M during 2012.

This album has always been amongst my favourites but I may have a different view on it had I been the age I am now and experienced Ray Of Light fully as an album before getting this.

I agree with headphones in it’s production does flourish and you can chill to this album! Its quite contrasting as an album too but I like the mix of styles and also the slight country tinged affair too what’s on some of the slower songs as well as her overall aesthetic for the album which was kinda like a cow-girl.

It’s an interesting album though marking yet another reinvention and kicking off a new decade in style!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 25th June 2020, 07:51 PM
Post #27
Group icon
User: 13,007

I think this (like a few of her biggest albums) have very timeless feels to them. This album is just solid music that experiments with sounds and delves deep into her psyche. There are so many layers too that make for repeated listen throughs!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 26th June 2020, 01:20 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Some outtakes from the album, all from the first half of the album sessions (when Madonna was working with William Orbit and before Mirwais was introduced to the project):

'Like An Angel Passing Through My Room' is an ABBA cover - both this and 'Little Girl' remind me of the Rick Nowels tracks from 'Ray of Light' (see 'Like a Flower' that I posted in the ROL album thread), they don't really sound like the signature Orbit production at all. Both are lovely though and show-off Madonna's post-Evita vocals. 'Liquid Love' does sound similar to 'Amazing' and 'Runaway Lover', two Orbit songs that did make the album - this one was set to appear on the album but was removed as it gave Madonna the "wrong tingles". Finally, 'Run' is very different for Madonna, quite rocky!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 26th June 2020, 01:26 AM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Two more videos - this is Madonna recording her vocal for 'Music' (featuring lyrics that don't feature on the final version):

Kylie fans will probably know that she recorded a song written by Madonna. That song was 'Alone Again' which was recorded for this album. Madonna's version hasn't leaked.

Kylie recorded it with the intention of using it as the B-side to 'Come Into My World' but it wasn't used until 2006 for Kylie's White Diamond documentary.

Edit: Just stumbled across this 'David Guetta remix' of 'Liquid Love'. I'm assuming it's fake as it uses the 'When Love Takes Over' instrumental, I know it existed as an instrumental before Kelly's vocals were added but I don't see why David Guetta would remix a random outtake. Anyway, it sounds really good!

There was a second demo of 'Liquid Love' and you can actually hear a 'When Love Takes Over' -esque melody in there:

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 18th September 2020, 10:16 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Happy 20th birthday to Music! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 18th September 2020, 10:25 AM
Post #31
Group icon
Jord

Happy Birthday Music heart.gif

Love those videos you posted too! A few years ago I was obsessed with that Liquid Love / Guetta mix. I think Liquid Love kinda fits both ROL and Music era Madonna I can see why she might’ve passed on putting it on the album but it remains one of my favourite ever unreleased tracks by her.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 18th September 2020, 08:59 PM
Post #32
Group icon

Happy birthday Music! party.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 22nd September 2020, 06:13 PM
Post #33
Group icon

Relistening to this in celebration of its 20th (and the survivor happening). What an album wub.gif

+Quote this post
vibe
post 22nd September 2020, 06:24 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

I have listened to twice today. Such an amazing listen !!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 27th September 2020, 04:53 PM
Post #35
Group icon

Yeah I have listened a lot this past week and it's such a consistent, well-produced album with beautiful lyrics and interesting sounds throughout. One of her best!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 30th September 2020, 04:26 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

The promo gig Madonna performed in London. It was streamed live on the internet and became the biggest webcast of all time with an estimated 9 million tuning in, beating the previous record set by Paul McCartney by 6 million!

The full Drowned World Tour, digitally enhanced. Don't think I've watched this tour in its entirety so I'll endeavor to do that!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 30th September 2020, 06:22 PM
Post #37
Group icon

Definitely need to check this out in full too! Thanks for the links heart.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 1st October 2020, 11:40 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

A little more about the early recording sessions for the album:

Madonna had worked on some music with house DJ Sasha, although they didn't actually reach the point of recording vocals. There's a track on Sasha's 2002 album Airdrawndagger titled 'Wavy Gravy' that is said to have originated from these sessions. I think you can hear a bit of Music influence from the 2:20 mark:

I posted most of the outtakes from the album at the top of the page, so I'll complete the list here:

The full list...

Pre-Mirwais:
Alone Again
Amazing
Arioso
Cyberraga
Gone
Like an Angel Passing Through My Room
Liquid Love
Little Girl
Run
Runaway Lover

Post-Mirwais:
Don't Tell Me
I Deserve It
Impressive Instant
Music
Nobody's Perfect
Paradise (Not for Me)
What It Feels Like for a Girl

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 7th October 2020, 08:13 PM
Post #39
Group icon

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 8th October 2020, 11:08 AM
Post #40
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I only just realised after 20 years that the lyric in 'I Deserve It' is "this guy" and not "the sky".

"This guy was meant for me" makes so much more sense! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Tawdry Hepburn: 8th October 2020, 11:08 AM

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 07:39 AM