BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Italy · Eurovision Song Contest 2017, Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Umi
post Feb 14 2017, 04:47 AM
Post #41
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659
This is majorly good, and the dancing gorilla is dumb as hell but has so much obvious potential to be memorable. I think Italy are comfortably doing the best out of the big 5 this year.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
pes
post Feb 15 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 21,363
I can't believe my country song doing so good on you tube views and itunes european countries considering Gabbani is pretty new to the big scene..The melody is there also the gorilla routine although I m not a fan of his raspy voice, regarding the meaning of the song is more deep of what you can think

This post has been edited by pes: Feb 15 2017, 11:58 AM

+Quote this post
Umi
post Feb 15 2017, 10:55 PM
Post #43
Group icon
All I See br29
QUOTE(pes @ Feb 15 2017, 11:27 AM) *
I can't believe my country song doing so good on you tube views and itunes european countries considering Gabbani is pretty new to the big scene..The melody is there also the gorilla routine although I m not a fan of his raspy voice, regarding the meaning of the song is more deep of what you can think

Yeah I'm stunned at how well it's doing. Here's the Kworb numbers:

#1 Italy
#2 Malta
#13 Switzerland
#28 Luxembourg
#31 Sweden
#39 Spain
#161 Ireland
#162 Germany

This looks like hype to me.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Feb 17 2017, 12:10 AM
Post #44
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
The video has 14 million views already! mellow.gif

THAT'S CRAZY! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post Mar 17 2017, 04:10 PM
Post #45
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955
3 minute ESC Version

+Quote this post
p a v
post Mar 17 2017, 04:28 PM
Post #46
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
Awkward second chorus. I guess they wanted to cram in as much of the chorus as possible as it's catchy as f*** *.*

I wouldn't mind this winning tbh

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Mar 17 2017, 04:54 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608
I'm just so glad that they kept in the instrumental before the final chorus that I don't care what else they did to it, I think it's a great edit though!

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Mar 17 2017, 05:02 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
This song is the whole package, I don't see any other viable contender right now.

It's going to clean up on both the jury and televote, surely? Unless his gruff voice is a turnoff for people.

I can imagine it doing surprisingly well (for a foreign language song) on UK iTunes too, of course it won't be touched on streaming so will do nothing officially.

+Quote this post
LexC
post Mar 17 2017, 05:12 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342
I don't think this is locked on to be the jury winner at all. Televote's a different story but I can easily see this just being top 5 with the juries and something else grabbing the win.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Mar 17 2017, 05:32 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
I agree that this probably isn't locked on 100% jury winner but it'll definitely storm the televote and it won't bomb on the juries, so it has the biggest chance for sure atm. I've kept saying "something else will come along randomly" but I haven't got the feeling from anything else so unless Armenia really pulls it off I think it will be this. But then again at this point nobody would've said Conchita or The Common Linnets would have been contenders so this might just be one of those years like that where something comes up at the semi final stage and ends up winning. There's a lot of good songs this year but nothing bar this really feels like it could win. It's so infectious, whenever I hear the instrumental bit I just want to get up and do the dance no matter where I am wub.gif

+Quote this post
Umi
post Mar 17 2017, 06:17 PM
Post #51
Group icon
All I See br29
The transition from the first chorus is awkward as hell but the song still functions and it's less catastrophic than last year's Italian revamp. As regards winning, I don't really feel like the change will make a difference either way. It's still either this or Sweden realistically.

+Quote this post
♫ Boyan ♫
post Mar 17 2017, 07:09 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 229
Grande Amore won the televote in 2015 I don't see why this won't do the same.
Italy FTW!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Mar 17 2017, 09:13 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Agreed that the transition from the first chorus is awkward, but I think that might just be down to me familiarising myself with the original a bit too much! laugh.gif

It's a great edit though, coz it really does capitalise on the chorus, hook and energy of the song!

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Mar 17 2017, 09:38 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608
I can't see Sweden being a contender, as Lex was saying to me the other day 'I Can't Go On' just doesn't have the heart, euphoria or emotional pull winners tend to have. It's so slick and professional that it does lose that emotion. Jamala obviously have TONS of emotion, Mans had his little cute stick figure, Conchita had her whole back story, Emmelie even had her confetti euphoric moment, Loreen's was even called Euphoria.

Liam sums it up perfectly by saying this has THE euphoria moment with the instrumental section, I can pinpoint such a moment in I Can't Go On. Out of the other favourites, Bulgaria falls into the Sweden category of very slick and professional but sacrificing emotion whereas Portugal definitely falls on the Italy side of having that emotional pull, although Salvador of course evokes much different emotion to Francesco.

+Quote this post
LexC
post Mar 17 2017, 10:05 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342
QUOTE(Ryan. @ Mar 17 2017, 09:38 PM) *
I can't see Sweden being a contender, as Lex was saying to me the other day 'I Can't Go On' just doesn't have the heart, euphoria or emotional pull winners tend to have. It's so slick and professional that it does lose that emotion. Jamala obviously have TONS of emotion, Mans had his little cute stick figure, Conchita had her whole back story, Emmelie even had her confetti euphoric moment, Loreen's was even called Euphoria.

Liam sums it up perfectly by saying this has THE euphoria moment with the instrumental section, I can pinpoint such a moment in I Can't Go On. Out of the other favourites, Bulgaria falls into the Sweden category of very slick and professional but sacrificing emotion whereas Portugal definitely falls on the Italy side of having that emotional pull, although Salvador of course evokes much different emotion to Francesco.

That's not QUITE what I was saying. What I said was that the winners/stuff that is in contention for the win have messages that work on an affective level. Jamala/Mans/Conchita all had the narrative of triumph through adversity, Emmelie (and basically every other peace ballad that's done well) was a "love love peace peace" moment, Sound of Silence was all about the struggle to connect in a disconnected world and Calm After The Storm was a will they/won't they about a couple that were breaking up. The basic thread that runs through all of them is that the message/narrative is about tugging people's heartstrings that is emphasised by things like the staging. The 'euphoric' instrumentals help in that regard but they aren't a guarantor of working in that emotional register alone or else Say Yay or countless other 'euphoric' dance songs would have done far better than they ended up doing.

And that is one of my biggest reasons why I'm having second thoughts about Italy at least being a runaway winner in the vein of Fairytale/Euphoria is that it just doesn't work on a similar kind of emotional level (and nor does Sweden either, in fairness). If you don't speak Italian, it is just a catchy pop song with the gimmick of a dancing gorilla (and even if you do 'modern culture is well bad lol' isn't on the same level as triumphing through great adversity) which if you decoupled it from the "this is the favourite" tag is on the same level as "that one with the yodeling" for instance.

+Quote this post
ScottyEm
post Mar 18 2017, 01:07 AM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 519
QUOTE(Liаm @ Mar 17 2017, 05:32 PM) *
I agree that this probably isn't locked on 100% jury winner but it'll definitely storm the televote and it won't bomb on the juries, so it has the biggest chance for sure atm. I've kept saying "something else will come along randomly" but I haven't got the feeling from anything else so unless Armenia really pulls it off I think it will be this. But then again at this point nobody would've said Conchita or The Common Linnets would have been contenders so this might just be one of those years like that where something comes up at the semi final stage and ends up winning. There's a lot of good songs this year but nothing bar this really feels like it could win. It's so infectious, whenever I hear the instrumental bit I just want to get up and do the dance no matter where I am wub.gif

This. I think we will have a similar outcome to 2016. Italy is likely to win the televote but not the jury. I think this is too kitsch (crap) to win the jury vote? A law of averages will win this, which leads me to thinking either Belgium or Sweden have this in the bag.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Mar 18 2017, 01:32 AM
Post #57
Group icon
The original video having 60m+ views already thoughhhhh!

+Quote this post
p a v
post Mar 18 2017, 06:23 AM
Post #58
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
QUOTE(LexC @ Mar 18 2017, 01:05 AM) *
That's not QUITE what I was saying. What I said was that the winners/stuff that is in contention for the win have messages that work on an affective level. Jamala/Mans/Conchita all had the narrative of triumph through adversity, Emmelie (and basically every other peace ballad that's done well) was a "love love peace peace" moment, Sound of Silence was all about the struggle to connect in a disconnected world and Calm After The Storm was a will they/won't they about a couple that were breaking up. The basic thread that runs through all of them is that the message/narrative is about tugging people's heartstrings that is emphasised by things like the staging. The 'euphoric' instrumentals help in that regard but they aren't a guarantor of working in that emotional register alone or else Say Yay or countless other 'euphoric' dance songs would have done far better than they ended up doing.

And that is one of my biggest reasons why I'm having second thoughts about Italy at least being a runaway winner in the vein of Fairytale/Euphoria is that it just doesn't work on a similar kind of emotional level (and nor does Sweden either, in fairness). If you don't speak Italian, it is just a catchy pop song with the gimmick of a dancing gorilla (and even if you do 'modern culture is well bad lol' isn't on the same level as triumphing through great adversity) which if you decoupled it from the "this is the favourite" tag is on the same level as "that one with the yodeling" for instance.

The problem is that the majority of Europeans watching the show don't even speak English (although obviously it's changing now and fast), so I would place the actual message of the song without any special effects and tricks as less important than the clothes and make up. Thats why the staging and visual effects are essential. They will basically translate the song to people who don't understand or pay attention to the lyrics. Of course there's another thing as hype outside of the contest or commentators giving out information about the song prior to the performance etc. which could help with spreading the message but you would be surprised how few people actually listen to them and take it on board

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Mar 19 2017, 12:06 AM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614
Only just heard this for the first time - yeah, if this wins then well deserved for Italy, even without the "LOL dancing gorilla!!" gimmick it's an awesome pop track, and full credit that they've kept it in Italian as I do miss the old foreign-language winners that fizzled out (for obvious reasons) in the late 90s. One of my friends is part Ukrainian and part Italian, so she'd be over the moon if this won a year after Jamala!

Would finally give Italy a chance to rectify the hilarious chaos that was the 1991 contest too tongue.gif "MR NEFF!!"

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Mar 20 2017, 04:53 AM
Post #60
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
This just keeps growing on me, it's one of those foreign language songs where I'm slowly learning all the words regardless (Italian is a bit easier than like Crimean Tatar with 1944 ofc but still) and the instrumental break has to be the best bit in any song this year <3

Also I kind of fancy him but I know I'll be alone on that one rotf.gif (this might be why)

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:35 PM