BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter 2017: Week 9, long links and write-up post on the week now added!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Feb 27 2017, 01:00 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Dua Lipa notches up her fifth week at #1 out of 9 so far this year as Scared To Be Lonely retains the top spot this week. Katy’s Chained to the Rhythm is close behind at #2, knocking Nelly Furtado’s Cold Hard Truth from its peak perch back down to #3. Just behind them, Goldfrapp’s Anymore makes an unlikely surge to a new peak of #4 in its fifth week on the chart, while the top 5 is completed by Bear’s Den’s surprisingly-not-religious Greenwoods Bethlehem. It’s the indie group’s third top 10 charter from parent album Red Earth and Pouring Rain (2016).

Lost Kings with Tinashe, Cold War Kids’ Love is Mystical, Ocean Hill, and Phoebe Ryan’s Dark Side make it into the top 10 this week. In terms of brand new entries this week, Lana Del Rey’s Love is predictably the highest on my charts, as she might be on many other charts this week. Other debuts this week come from late arrivals Shape of You and Little Mix’s Touch, along with entries from Bastille, Shaggy with OMI, Bebe Rexha, Jax Jones, Mike Posner, Jamiroquai, Jason Derulo with Nicki Minaj, Erik Hassle with Tinashe, and a re-entry for Marian Hill. All new entries will have video links and some write-up in the next post, which is in progress!

Without further ado, here’s the list this week: the top 40 up to the end of Feb. 2017:

01 Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa - Scared To Be Lonely [36-7-1-1]
02 Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm [35-8-2]
03 Nelly Furtado - Cold Hard Truth [16-3-2-3]
04 Goldfrapp - Anymore [37-15-8-10-4]
05 Bear's Den - Greenwoods Bethlehem [25-5]
06 Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Wild Forever [14-7-6]
07 Cold War Kids - Love is Mystical [29-12-7]
08 Phoebe Ryan - Dark Side [21-15-8]
09 Lost Kings ft. Tinashe - Quit You [11-14-9]
10 Trinix ft. Hannah Young - Ocean Hill [39-11-10]
11 Missy Elliott - I'm Better [27-4-3-11]
12 Lana Del Rey - Love [N]
13 Rihanna x Addal - Sex With Me [18-9-13]
14 Amy Lee - Love Exists [20-14]
15 Sage the Gemini - Now and Later [30-8-5-5-15]
16 Texas - Let's Work it Out [28-16]
17 Infernal - Hurricane [31-16-21-17]
18 Little Mix - Touch [N]
19 Shaggy ft. OMI - Seasons [N]
20 Una Healy - Battlelines [29-20]
21 Ed Sheeran - Shape of You [N]
22 Deaf Havana - Pretty Low [19-22]
23 Bastlle - Send Them Off! [N]
24 JP Cooper - September Song [31-X2-26-24]
25 Kehlani - Advice [24-25]
26 Tal - Slow Down the Flow [5-3-1-6-26]
27 Marian Hill & Lauren Jauregui - Back To Me [25-13-23-19-34-X3-27]
28 Yall - Together [37-23-28]
29 Mariah Carey ft. YG - I Don't [24-22-29]
30 Busted - On What You're On [12-16-30]
31 Erik Hassle ft. Tinashe - Innocence Lost [N]
32 Milky Chance - Doing Good [32-39-32]
33 Bebe Rexha ft. G-Eazy - F.F.F. (F*** Fake Friends) [N]
34 Jason Derulo ft. Nicki Minaj + Ty Dolla $ign - Swalla [N]
35 Jamiroquai - Cloud 9 [N]
36 Jax Jones ft. RAYE - You Don't Know Me [N]
37 Tinie Tempah ft. Tinashe - Text From Your Ex [34-37]
38 2NE1 - Goodbye [15-6-6-4-38]
39 Mike Posner x Grey - In the Arms of a Stranger [N]
40 Fergie - Life Goes On [31-27-28-X7-16-11-31-35-40]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends - Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (3)
Ed Sheeran – Castle On the Hill (1)
Tal – Slow Down the Flow (1)
Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa – Scared To Be Lonely (~)

Spotify Link to my weekly A-List playlist = {click here}

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Mar 3 2017, 09:36 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Feb 27 2017, 01:07 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
Hey 360Jupiter,

Great choice of #1 from Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa. A real grower I'm finding too. Dua is certainly becoming a dominent chart force!

Other highlights for me are Katy Perry feat. Skip Marley, Little Mix, Ed Sheeran, Jax Jones feat. RAYE and Tinie Tempah feat. Tinashe.

Please be sure to check out my chart for this week Top 40 Countdown by awardinary (W/E 02/03/2017)

+Quote this post
JSG
post Feb 28 2017, 08:57 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473
Hey Jupiter!

02 Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm [35-8-2] Love this! Future #1 here maybe?
12 Lana Del Rey - Love [N] wub.gif Superb! The first time I've really liked anything from Lana since Summertime Sadness
17 Infernal - Hurricane [31-16-21-17] music.gif
20 Una Healy - Battlelines [29-20] This is nice. Nothing spectacular but better than her current single

good chart!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Mar 2 2017, 09:54 AM
Post #4
Group icon
QUOTE(awardinary™ @ Feb 27 2017, 01:07 PM) *
Hey 360Jupiter,

Great choice of #1 from Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa. A real grower I'm finding too. Dua is certainly becoming a dominent chart force!

Other highlights for me are Katy Perry feat. Skip Marley, Little Mix, Ed Sheeran, Jax Jones feat. RAYE and Tinie Tempah feat. Tinashe.

Please be sure to check out my chart for this week Top 40 Countdown by awardinary (W/E 02/03/2017)

QUOTE(JSG @ Feb 28 2017, 08:57 AM) *
Hey Jupiter!
02 Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm [35-8-2] Love this! Future #1 here maybe?
12 Lana Del Rey - Love [N] wub.gif Superb! The first time I've really liked anything from Lana since Summertime Sadness
17 Infernal - Hurricane [31-16-21-17] music.gif
20 Una Healy - Battlelines [29-20] This is nice. Nothing spectacular but better than her current single

good chart!

Thanks guys! Appreciate to hear folks' thoughts on my (sometimes out-there) choices and discoveries!

Katy Perry is definitely on the rise and will be challenging for the top spot next week! Back at her rightful spot!

I'm stoked for Dua Lipa's album now, which I definitely wasn't even three months ago!

Touch and Shape didn't really appeal for me until this week. LM are sensibly releasing No More Sad Songs next which is the first song that caught me from their album.

Same for the Jax Jones. I blame entirely hearing it at work for it catching me.

JSG, I love that you like so many of my more random picks! I'm just waiting for the Mike Posner and Grey track to become a thing in 2017. I will check out your chart this week ASAP!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Mar 2 2017, 02:43 PM
Post #5
Group icon
The end of February brings the week of the surge, as the week’s top 10 is replaced by tracks on large surges from their low positions last week. Katy’s #2 placing this week feels much more like the levels she should be getting to, although she’s been unlucky to be against such strong competition in the officials. Goldfrapp’s Anymore hits a surprise peak of #4 this week, the highest the electronic outfit’s managed since 2013’s Jo, a #1 hitter.

There’s a few unexpected new entries this week from the likes of Bastille and Shaggy, tracks that I added to my lists on a whim and unexpectedly ended up jamming with more than I expected. This week also sees the surge to top 20 of Una Healy’s album track (and possibly future single) Battlelines, a Corrs-channeling uptempo that appeals a lot to my Irish sensibilities. The additions of Jamiroquai and Shaggy to a chart that already featured Goldfrapp, Nelly Furtado, Missy Elliott, Busted, Sophie Ellis-Bextor and Texas almost makes me feel like I’ve fallen back in time. 2017: the year of the comeback!

On to this week’s new entries!

Highest new entry goes to my girl Lana this week. I like Love, perhaps ironically, I don’t love it, but it’s a new side to the indie princess – or at least, a variation on her usual theme. I’m a huge Lana fan though, so she could have released basically anything as a comeback and I would’ve lapped it up. It’s an interesting song, and it’s made me realise – probably late! – that Lana consistently manages to get mainstream success while not following any current musical styles or trends. She has her space in culture now, and I like that. I’m stoked for album #4 later this year.

Little Mix are close behind with Touch. I liked the video. The song is not bad, a bit repetitive, but a good pop song. A good change from No More Sad Songs, which I’ve been hammering on the plays since the album was released last winter. Ironically enough, that’s the next single LM will be promoting, just as I get into Touch. Looking at it on youtube, christ it has a lot of views for a non-US hit! nearly 100mil!

What a find this one is! I would expect it to start getting radio support through this month; although Shaggy’s getting on now, it seems ready-made for Capital. A really good tropical influenced pop/party song, and a good sequel to Cheerleader – better than OMI’s actual follow-up release to that song (#75 smash hit Hula Hoop). There’s a nice ref to that in the video. This also reminds me a bit of Sigala’s Say You Do. It’s a great track that brings the sun out after what feels like a winter that’s gone on for months and months now!

Shape, everyone knows it, familiar with it. It’s not a bad wee song, though Castle hit me first. It was limited in its impact because I tend to only like one track by an artist at once – never been a fan of the double A side, I’d rather ‘ration’ out the new material. I’m enjoying the Stormzy remix of this track this week, but this placing’s for the original. This might be Ed’s first time charting two singles from an album campaign for me since +.

In a similar vein, Bastille’s Send Them Off! only debuts now, over six months since the album release and (I think) the release of this as a promo single. It’s the pop-indie band’s third charter for me from parent album Wild World, following lead single Good Grief and Warmth, which has been a recurring charter for a few months now.

The third charter for Tinashe so far this year, and giving her a full triple this week as her other two cling on in the top 40. I’ve not seen this one promoted really anywhere in the UK, so I’m thinking it might be a Euro exclusive, or at least one that will be held back for international release in case Tinashe hits a big success at some point this year. Bless her, she’s trying. Erik Hassle and I have a somewhat long chart history, he first landed an entry with No Words back this time two years ago, and has had a few minor peaks in the intervening period. He’s Swedish, and on the same label as Zara Larsson. This might actually be a re-release, now I look into it.

A track by Bebe that I actually genuinely like, a lot due to its (explicit, just so y’all know) lyrical content about getting fake friends out of your life – something I’m sure we can all sympathise with. It’s another Bebe/G-Eazy collab as the white guy rapper takes another stab at relevance.

On its own thread in Urban this was described as a hot mess. I think that’s harsh…at least for Nicki’s portion. Yes, I do mainly like this track as a return to Ms. Minaj who seems to’ve been away forever, although she’s appeared on features here and there since her last big solo singles. Having said that, the comparisons I’ve seen online to the Macarena aren’t quite without merit, which does add a bit of unintentional comedy to what’s probably planned as a serious comeback.

Jamiroquai’s second release from upcoming 2017 album comeback, and one I like a lot more than the preceding promo single Automaton. I’ve not in the past been a huge fan of the group, who’ve been active over 20 years and pioneered a funky sound that’s sometimes dipped into pop crossover and sometimes not.

Another delayed entry of a track that’s been out – and on the official charts – for a while. It’s quite catchy, but I’m not the hugest fan of it, I reckon it’ll stay a minor hit on my charts. The same could actually be said for RAYE’s last appearance, on Jonas Blue’s By Your Side. I have to say, I hate the video/lyric, it's weird and creepy, and for a long time kept me off the song.

A year after his surprise return to mainstream relevance courtesy of SeeB, Mike Posner’s gone for another round of remixed tracks. The Grey remix of In The Arms of a Stranger builds on Grey’s last success, Starving with Zedd and Hailey Steinfeld. It’s more of the same in general, without so much of an instrumental hook as the former track which went straight to #1 on the officials, and was a top 10 on my personals. There’s still time for this to catch the attention of e.g. Capital and the mainstream, of course.

A re-entry this week for Marian Hill and Lauren Jauregui, a track which might still have a new lease of life following the delayed US success of Marian Hill’s 2016 single Down, which this year has soared into the Billboard top 25. The chill, nu-soul influenced track of course pairs Marian Hill with Fifth Harmonette Lauren, perhaps the member most likely to become the new lead in Camila Cabello’s wake. Keep your eyes peeled for this in the UK too to be pushed as single #2 after Down’s planned release later this month.

And that’s the week! Please comment if you have thoughts! Comments make me smile! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Mar 2 2017, 02:45 PM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:51 PM