BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Paradox Plaza for Grand Strategy, Europa Universalis IV, Crusader Kings 2, Stellaris & more...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post Mar 15 2018, 05:09 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
I'm surprised I held off on making a topic on these for so long, this is a topic for all grand strategy games as developed by Paradox Interactive, best Swedish games developer, probably best developer overall. I may have briefly spied one of the developers when I was leaving Stockholm on Sunday *.*

Because they're games that are all FAIRLY similar to each other, and they probably won't get enough to get a topic on their own (I acknowledge already I'm going to be very lucky if this is anything more than me and Jacob back and forthing screenshots here) in that they are all big map games where in a certain period of history (or the future, where Stellaris is concerned) you paint the map your colour according to either your own personal goals (let's make Albania a huge trade power or convert the Christian world to paganism or Buddhism) or a very large and varied set of Steam achievements with interesting and challenging goals if you're lacking in inspiration. Somehow manages to avoid controversy despite it literally being about playing geopolitics with ethnic and national groups over actual land. It's because it's rather abstract I guess.

They are, in chronological order:

Crusader Kings 2: Set in the Medieval age from either 1066 or two DLCs that allow you to go a bit earlier, this game is dynasty-focused where you play as a ruler and their family. Plot murders, schemes and power-grabbing to fit in outshine any of the fantasy/historical dramas on TV at the moment, and with actual historical characters from England to India. And maybe do a bit of crusading. It's evolved a little bit beyond its title, which is an understatement as current patches allow for werewolves, demon-worshippers, tiger-wrestlers and Cornish.

Europa Universalis IV: Set in the Early Modern Age from 1444, expand empires across the world. The most Risk-like of them all and for my money the most enthralling, as you play nations on the brink of the age of discovery and colonialism and guide them into their first stages of nationalism. And destroy the filthy Ottomans/French/Muscovites/Polish/Great British/Austrians (delete as appropriate) to ensure that your underdog Burgundy/Byzantium/Bavaria/Lucca/Albania/Hormuz/Ryukyu (again, delete as appropriate) becomes triumphant and spreads their much nicer colours across the map.

Victoria 2: Haven't really played this as it's the last of the previous generation of Paradox games, with no Victoria 3 as of yet. It's obviously set in the Victorian Age, again, whole world included on the map, and is I hear a fairly perfect economics simulator.

Hearts Of Iron IV: A WW2 game where you're not restricted to playing the 'Greatest Generation American soldiers' landing in Normandy, praise be! Starts in 1936 or 1939, again, you can play anyone, even, like Paraguay, if you choose to, and is pretty much a logistics simulator as you either blitzkrieg or protect the independence of nations you like.

Stellaris: Starts in 2200 and if you remember Spore, this is the space stage of that but good. Expand your empire across the galaxy, playing as either humans or aliens and being whatever sort of xenophobic quasi-religious civilization your depraved mind can come up with.

There are mods that allow you to take save games all the way from 769 (earliest CK2 start date) all the way to Stellaris. Not that that's practical but it's an interesting sidenote.

They do all have a pretty hefty amount of DLC which is a bit of a necessary tradeoff for a developer that keeps working on their games and adding overhauls in free patches. HOI4 and Stellaris just got huge free updates for example that turned some flawed but good games on launched into something a lot more exciting even without any DLC.

And now I'm going to use this to boast about my use of free time to Buzzjack x
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Oliver
post Apr 5 2018, 05:28 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367
You can get a permanent copy of Crusader Kings 2 for free off Steam for a limited time (Saturday at some point). Just got it myself even though I might wait until I get a new laptop before installing as I don't know if my MacBook can handle it. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 7 2018, 06:48 PM
Post #3
Group icon
QUOTE(Oliver @ Apr 5 2018, 06:28 PM) *
You can get a permanent copy of Crusader Kings 2 for free off Steam for a limited time (Saturday at some point). Just got it myself even though I might wait until I get a new laptop before installing as I don't know if my MacBook can handle it. laugh.gif

Excellent. I was hoping someone would post about this, as I completely forgot to. It's now over unfortunately but the game is still 75% off which is still a great deal, the base game is a really good one even without DLC. I've seen Jacob's MacBook handle it quite well but your specs might be different. When I was playing it on my old laptop, which is from 2012, for reference, it worked fine but I pretty much had to be at full speed constantly to get anywhere. Actually, getting 'The Reaper's Due' DLC helps a lot. Besides being one of the better DLCs, it adds a ton of disease-related events and mechanics that means that characters die more often, which helps with freeing up processing power. kink.gif Otherwise the game is trying to process events and decision-making for up to 1000s of AI characters, most of whom you're never going to be interacting with.

Recently I've been revoking the privilegia as Austria in EU4, which allows one to have a vassal swarm that results in you declaring war and sitting back as masses of your minions swarm over the opponent, and I was also playing Sweden around the time I went there because I like appropriateness.

And in CK2 I've got a decent Byzantine run going on, I'll see if I get any good events from that, I love the Imperial Adminstration, it's the best form of CK2 government because it's very easy to have a neat empire in it. Feudal laws make your realm very messy very quickly.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 7 2018, 07:24 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Also, when you do start playing, definitely start in Ireland (an easy, safe place where you can learn core mechanics without too many people trying to take you down) and spend a short time figuring out what all the mechanics you have are for. It takes a while and for all that Paradox are great at making games, they are absolutely HORRENDOUS at tutorials so you pretty much have to learn on the go.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 7 2018, 08:40 PM
Post #5
Group icon
So I just... loaded up my CK2 save, and while waging a war and was low on troops, I had a faction force me to hand over the throne to my gay brother who is also my best friend. I'm so glad he's gay because it means he hasn't gotten any children by his wife (who by a curious coincidence is also my wife's sister, medieval family trees, eh) and so I'm going to inherit the empire back when he dies. He could get a child though so I'm wanting the throne back as soon as possible, as well as making sure he doesn't mess my beautiful empire up.

Now because I'm currently a follower of Satan, I decided to give my brother all sorts of diseases, including cancer. Unfortunately I hadn't counted on his doctor being so incredible that he managed to cure not only normally fatal flus and colds but also develop a medieval cure for cancer, so I'm just going back to the old method of plotting to murder my brother and only friend in the world (some similarities to how I treat Jacob x). Wish me luck!

As an aside, I'm looking to murder my firstborn son. See, I married not for love but for stats, my wife is a genius and she passed that on to my second-born. So I need him to inherit. Might have to sacrifice that one to the Dark Lord if I can figure out how, I need to imprison him and unsurprisingly, randomly imprisoning your children is, shall we say, frowned upon.

did I mention this game is full of great no context material?

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 7 2018, 08:58 PM
Post #6
Group icon
update: gay brother emperor attacked the Muslims, got trounced, is now suffering a civil war, and caught me trying to kill him. It would have been so much better if he had just let it happen. He had a daughter but I magically gave her rabies and she succumbed.

also, I died (died of typhus while my brother continues to outlive CANCER) and am now my firstborn son I was trying to kill. Hopefully I'll get depressed so I can commit suicide and hand stuff over to my younger brother.

and my MOTHER and regent has decided to vengefully kill me because I'm her rival apparently. Could be worse.

+Quote this post
Harve
post Apr 7 2018, 11:15 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718
Wow Iz this Game Of Thrones fanfic you're writing sounds really lit.

I had an EU4 binge last summer and I'm gonna load up my game to see what happened. I've not played any of the others!

+Quote this post
Harve
post Apr 7 2018, 11:32 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
So I can't actually load this game as it's from an old version but making this was a good week last summer. *.*

(I'm sure there's a way to shrink the images but fuck that x)

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 7 2018, 11:59 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Ah yeah the annoying thing about EU4 is that old saves can't be loaded when they release the updates - normally because they add new provinces to the game and so it breaks everything. You can downgrade your game to whatever version it was you played the old save on but that's time-consuming and you'd only have to switch back.

Portugal are one of my favourite nations to play as, probably because you can just ignore the politicking in Europe and have fun bringing 'civilization' to everywhere else. The first successful run I had was with Portugal (before I formed Spain and felt like a traitor), I don't think I got half of those colonial possessions though, that is some excellent colonial expansion.

+Quote this post
Harve
post Apr 8 2018, 12:06 AM
Post #10
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
I *think* I was planning some sort of end-of-game showdown with my pal Austria against allied Spain and France but it got way too intimidating so I quit. My income was certainly bigger than all three of those put together and I was earning money faster than I could spend it, but I was less confident on winning a world war logistically and militarily. And I also had to get a real-life job which put a spanner in the works.

Forming Spain as Portugal without naming it Greater Lusophonia makes me feel a bit queasy but kudos for taking them on! I sincerely regret not going for Galicia which was - and still is - most definitely rightful Portuguese territory.

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post Apr 12 2018, 01:10 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Jacob Alan~
User: 21,664
Might as well post my Byzantium game at its peak (the 2nd one that is).

Reclaimed the old Eastern Roman Empire and a bit further, and got Rome back/ parts of Italy. Was pretty chuffed with this game (especially considering Byzantium's starting position, they usually die within the first 10 years of the game if they're AI).

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 13 2018, 09:05 PM
Post #12
Group icon
yeah I'll just raise you my Ottoman world conquest, my Norwegian maritime empire, and this little thing x

(sorry, I play this game too much)

New updates in my CK2 fanfic: gained the kingdom of Bulgaria because my aunt had a claim on it, so installed her, she's now Queen Zoe the Usurper, and I get Bulgaria when she dies. She's a strong woman so she's probably going to live a while unfortunately. But that's just so I can organise it properly into themes with strategos and such.

Defensive pacts are keeping me from expanding too much but I have reclaimed Jerusalem and so stopped the Crusades from needing to happen. I'm currently Tiberius IV, a staunch Orthodox zealot who likes hunting down people from other faiths but is a kind and generous person to all Orthodox Christians, I joined the community of Saint Basil and regularly donate to charity, I'm a nice person. Also, I blinded the Ecumenical Patriarch because I didn't like his name and regularly humiliate my prisoners. Also, I was arranging it so that my nephew is second in line to the throne of Lotharingia-Italy, matrilineally married the king's first-born with my sister so it'll be my dynasty and I'll get it inside my empire easily like that, but I've just noticed that the king's second son, a ginger no less, is going to get Italy alone when he dies (goddamn gavelkind rules), and as I'm trying to restore Rome in CK2 as well as in EU4, I kind of need Italy. So the ginger got a totally not suspicious invitation to my court, where his Catholic leanings meant there were plenty of people disliking him enough to want to kill him, but people keep blabbing about it so he knows, his father the king of Lotharingia-Italy knows, probably the whole world knows. I've never had so many people blab about my murder plots before sad.gif

+Quote this post
Harve
post Apr 16 2018, 08:47 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
Has anyone tried multiplayer? I can tell from screenshots that I'd be rubbish compared to Iz or Jacob, but I'd be up for duking it out on EU4.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 16 2018, 04:01 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Yes! Would be very up for that. We've done the odd one before, so definitely.

Multiplayer does even me out a bit as I utilise pause so much in single player.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post Apr 16 2018, 05:43 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Do you have to have all the same DLC?

I've only got the base game but would be up for some online when 1. I've got better internet in a few days and 2. You can play without needing the DLC. smile.gif

---

I started a game as Haixi the other day and was doing relatively well. I kept Ming onside a lot knowing how big they were but when Korea declared war on me Ming joined them and I was crushed almost instantly. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 16 2018, 06:24 PM
Post #16
Group icon
QUOTE(Oliver @ Apr 16 2018, 06:43 PM) *
Do you have to have all the same DLC?

I've only got the base game but would be up for some online when 1. I've got better internet in a few days and 2. You can play without needing the DLC. smile.gif

---

I started a game as Haixi the other day and was doing relatively well. I kept Ming onside a lot knowing how big they were but when Korea declared war on me Ming joined them and I was crushed almost instantly. laugh.gif

The DLC policy is really good for multiplayer! Whoever hosts, all the players get the effect of all the DLC the host has. So if I host you'll be fine.

Haixi is a horde I think? Quite a hard start, I've never played up there and with the DLC I have it'd be under a tributary system which is probably different to yours. That's probably a smash and grab deal in your case while hoping for lucky allies like Oirat or someone. Taking down the Ming is probably the hardest thing in this game these days (it used to be that they were really unstable and would 50/50 fall apart like confetti a hundred years into the game but they're just a monster now. A monster who comes to your door asking for free stuff (under said tributary system).

+Quote this post
Harve
post Apr 20 2018, 01:44 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
QUOTE(Iz @ Apr 16 2018, 05:01 PM) *
Yes! Would be very up for that. We've done the odd one before, so definitely.

Multiplayer does even me out a bit as I utilise pause so much in single player.

Hit me up! I can probably spare an evening this weekend.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 20 2018, 03:19 PM
Post #18
Group icon
aye! Sent you a PM, if anyone else wants to join in they should be welcome happy.gif

+Quote this post
Oliver
post Apr 20 2018, 04:20 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Camden wants to have a game with you all! And with my new beefy internee I should be fine as well!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 20 2018, 04:43 PM
Post #20
Group icon
QUOTE(Oliver @ Apr 20 2018, 05:20 PM) *
Camden wants to have a game with you all! And with my new beefy internee I should be fine as well!

Excellent. I'll try and get something going this weekend (as I PMed to Harve), I'm free all weekend so hopefully we can all make it in at some point. Tonight would be really cool if that's not too short notice.

also discord is good

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:37 PM