BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Shape of Water, 16 FEB 2018 // Sally Hawkins, Octavia Spencer, Michael Shannon
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post Jul 19 2017, 07:58 PM
Post #1
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

I haven't seen that many Guillermo Del Torro films but the character design here seems very similar to Pan's Labyrinth in places so I hope the film is even half as good. I enjoyed Pacific Rim too but this doesn't seem all that similar really.

Sally Hawkins looks really good in this though, a bit of a longshot indeed but perhaps she could be an outside contender for awards contention. The Lead Actress category does seem pretty stacked this year though so it's probably unlikely - I'm rooting for her though after her Happy-Go-Lucky snub all those years ago sad.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Sep 14 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #2
Group icon
c:

New red band trailer for this and I keep getting more and more excited for this as the great reviews keep on rolling in.

I really hope Hawkins & Spencer get awards recognition for this because I love both actresses and watching their interviews and campaigns wub.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Sep 14 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Really excited for this. The reviews have been so good!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Jan 24 2018, 09:50 AM
Post #4
Group icon
c:
The soundtrack for this is absolutely gorgeous, Alexandre Desplat nailing it yet again! That's really getting me even more excited to see this now - I've booked in to see the Unlimited Screening next week but I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to go or not yet...

+Quote this post
rafik4u
post Jan 24 2018, 11:33 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,633
Has this been released in the UK last year?

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Jan 24 2018, 11:41 AM
Post #6
Group icon
c:
QUOTE(rafik4u @ Jan 24 2018, 11:33 AM) *
Has this been released in the UK last year?

It's released 14 February 2018 here in the UK ! sad.gif

+Quote this post
rafik4u
post Jan 24 2018, 01:46 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,633
QUOTE(Josh! @ Jan 24 2018, 01:41 PM) *
It's released 14 February 2018 here in the UK ! sad.gif

Wow! So delayed. Reminds me of how Coco was postponed 2/3 months compared to the rest of the world.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Jan 24 2018, 02:59 PM
Post #8
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
User: 20,835
I Really want to see this and in fact I need to see many of Del Toro's work since Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite films wub.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 24 2018, 03:16 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Although not directed by him, but executive produced, I highly recommend 'The Orphanage'. But looking at his IMDB page, I can't recommend many more tbh. But Guillermo is very hit and miss. You're gonna either love it or hate it, I find.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Jan 31 2018, 10:28 AM
Post #10
Group icon
c:
This was absolutely brilliant, really hoping it can upset Three Billboards at the Oscars and take home Best Picture on the night. I'm still yet to see Phantom Thread and Lady Bird but this is by far my favourite from the realistic winning contenders (as much as I love it, CMBYN stands no chance at this point cry.gif).

So many good performance especially. I thought Frances McDormand was great but this is the role of a lifetime for Sally Hawkins and she should be running away with it - they HAVE to use the scene where she's getting Richard Jenkins to read what she's signing aloud as her Oscars clip because she was spectacular there. Every little facial expression she did spoke a thousand words and it's crazy to think how polished her performance was in a language that she doesn't even speak. Octavia Spencer was hilarious in this too and so perfectly cast as a mute woman's sidekick, you warm to her here so quickly and my heart was beating out of my chest when Michael Shannon arrived at her house. I've never seen much of Richard Jenkins before either but I think he'd actually be my choice to win the supporting actor category, one of the most likeable characters in a film I've seen in a long-time and I was heartbroken to see how lonely he was at times.

Aside from the acting I thought it was a really beautiful story. Props to Del Torro for making a fish-man and human relationship seem rather beautiful after you get over the initial shock. You could totally believe and comprehend how much he meant to Elisa because she had finally someone similar to her. The ending was super thrilling too and Michael Shannon was utterly terrifying. His delivery of 'you are a God' was delivered perfectly too, especially because the fish-man looked towered above him, you could see the moment of realisation in his final moments that he had been wrong to mistreat the fish-man. I loved the ambiguity of the ending too, she may well have just died there and have been taken underwater by the fish-man but the ending suggested by Giles is perfect with the poem voiceover so it's what I'd like to think happened laugh.gifAlso, can this win cinematography please for the shots of them underwater at the end alone - SO mesmerising *.*

I do think we were given some hints that Elisa herself was partly supernatural and not entirely human. The fact she was picked up as an orphan by the water, has suspiciously gill-shaped scars and seems to have an affinity with water (pleasuring herself in the bath/control over the water on the bus window) etc. definitely made me think that she wasn't just merely a mute woman.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Feb 14 2018, 11:15 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
I'm going to see this tonight, I don't know too much about it but the trailer didn't excite me THAT much. I hope it's not boring, that is my worst when going to the cinema sad.gif.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Feb 15 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I saw this tonight. I really liked it. It was bizarre and odd but those quirks were a part of it's charm. Michael Shannon plays those kind of roles perfectly! I felt that Michael Stuhlbarg stole the show in this too tbh! laugh.gif He's been on a roll with this and CMBYN lately. But everybody was great in this. Not one weak link!

I think I'd like to see it again at some point, coz as much as I did like it, it was a bit TOO MUCH at times but now that I am more aware of what to expect from it, I think I'd enjoy it more.

Definitely up there with 'Pan's Labyrinth' in regards to Guillermo's work.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Feb 16 2018, 06:20 PM
Post #13
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
This definitely lives up to the hype heart.gif It was visually amazing, the characters were all really well developed and I was really engaged with the story throughout. I really loved how they made what looks totally bizarre scenario into one that was completely believable, it's a really interesting take on love and finding a soulmate. It was fairly predictable as a whole (even though I like the ambiguous interpretation of the ending) and I kinda wish she hadn't had that singing scene, I know it was only a fantasy and fit in with the film, but I was so drawn to her as a mute that it felt out of place, but otherwise it was really quite beautiful. Not quite up there with Pan's Labyrinth, but not too far behind.

I would be very happy with this winning Best Picture, albeit I'm quite surprised as it certainly doesn't seem like traditional fare for Oscars. It's a Disney movie really removing the explicit scenes! Not that that's a bad thing at all

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Feb 16 2018, 06:57 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
I saw it on Wednesday, it was BIZARRE but also very lovely and well made.

+Quote this post
post Feb 16 2018, 10:33 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I'm a massive fan of GTD's earlier work but I was hugely disappointed by this. I felt for what it was it needed a sharper edge, because I didn't buy its tone at all. I actually thought it was surprisingly formulaic, and if one of them didn't happen to be a fish, it would have just been a regular tired love story.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Feb 16 2018, 10:40 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
I thought it was beautiful! Really wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. A very strange film, but it was so gripping.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 23 2018, 08:58 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
This was a goodie, another 8/10, great cast all doing well, and the movie had a bizarre mix of period piece style nostalgia, gritty grimness & cinematic beauty, but also a Pleasantville-style commentary on the period and human nature. The one bit I found impossible to accept was someone filling a bathroom with water and not expecting disaster to result, be exposed for a start in more than one sense....

Octavia Spencer continues to impress me after her great performance in Hidden Figures and others, and this one. I preferred her as a NASA mathematician to a cleaner though....!

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post Feb 23 2018, 11:18 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043
Is this basically about a woman falling in love with a fish?

+Quote this post
post Feb 23 2018, 11:36 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
QUOTE(_jase @ Feb 23 2018, 11:18 PM) *
Is this basically about a woman falling in love with a fish?

Yes. And it doesn’t work quite as much everyone wants to believe it does.

Bestiality ain’t a cute look hunnies.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Feb 24 2018, 05:19 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
I enjoyed this mostly although I didn't love it. It's remarkable in places but quite formulaic in others. It's the plot that lets it down but the acting is superb, and although many have referenced Beauty & The Beast (and obviously Creature From The Black Lagoon) I couldn't help but be reminded of Splash in many ways.

It's good, nearly great, but not Best Picture worthy as I think both 3 Billboards and Dunkirk are better.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:16 AM