BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Buzzjack's Greatest F1 Race- Results, Completed, full results on pg6
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Severin
post 13th May 2020, 03:11 PM
Post #121
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

QUOTE(Dobbo @ May 13 2020, 01:59 PM) *
Europe 1993 - Senna. Lap 1. Is there literally anything else memorable in this race? What's often overlooked is Barrichello driving arguably an even better lap going from 12th to 3rd in a JORDAN!!!

Senna set the fastest lap of the race using the pit lane and lapped the entire field bar Damon Hill. This was in a truly poor McLaren. and ranks as one of the greatest things I've ever seen in F1. Prost's 7 pit stops were amusing too.

Agree that Rubens' start was a cracker, he was always good in the wet but he didn't get to 3rd, it was 4th however, JJ Lehto started from the pit lane, 2 cars retired effectively gifting him 3 positions, the confusion from their collision backed drivers up allowing Barrichello to pounce. His move on Schumacher was great though.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Severin
post 13th May 2020, 03:15 PM
Post #122
Group icon
Mansonette

Great countdown and a brilliant winner. I have to confess some of the more recent races require me to think for a moment before recollecting but overall the top ten is excellent..

Brilliant work Mack and thank you for this

+Quote this post
coi
post 13th May 2020, 03:32 PM
Post #123
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

Really good results there, that is one strong top ten (lol at that run of four Brazil races between #4 and #7, probably my favourite track for quality races!) and all of the top six here were in my ten favourites too wub.gif

And of course Canada 2011 was my favourite F1 race of all time too (even watching the commentators fill in the rain break was iconic! biggrin.gif) so I'm very happy to see it finish top here as well!

Thanks for running this!

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 13th May 2020, 04:10 PM
Post #124
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Monaco 1982 - I just re-watched the highlights & final 3 laps of this on YT earlier this week. Definitely the race no one wanted to win laugh.gif cue James Hunt's legendary commentary.

Hungary 2006 - As great a race it was I can't think of anything other than James Allen's orgasm on commentary when Button crossed the line. From memory the Hungaroring was picked out as consistently being the most boring track on the calendar before this race and most years since then it's delivered!

Europe 2007 - one of the most exciting, fun times I ever had watching a race as a teen. The scene of car after car going off at turn 1 was something I could scarcely believe happening in reality and only in a video game! This was during the Summer 2007 floods which affected my region of Gloucestershire extremely badly so the weather in the race was certainly very fitting! The drama at the end between Alonso & Massa both on and off-track I feel has largely been forgotten too. Also, this race sadly was a precedent to Bianchi's fatal crash (watch Liuzzi's spin & aftermath).

Brazil 2016 - a very good race but I feel a bit overrated? And certainly not better than some below it, perhaps the recency factor played a part. I watched this one in TenPin of all places. Max gets all the plaudits but let's not overlook Hamilton who drove a now customary faultless, incident-free race in wet conditions.

Brazil 2012 - now this is more like! Arguably just as exciting as Brazil 2008 just without the very last lap drama as I think this race ended behind a safety car? But it was some comeback from Vettel this, no idea how his car survived that crash into the sidepod at turn 4. Also this was Hulkenberg's best ever chance of a podium too. A truly breathtaking finale to one of the best seasons in recent memory.

Brazil 2008 - 3 words. IS. THAT. GLOCK?! We will never see a finale like this again, it's the Sergio Aguerooooooo moment of Formula 1. One of the great sporting moments from a personal perspective (along with England's penalty victory in the last world cup - also something we may never see again laugh.gif)

Brazil 2003 - impressed this beat 2008! One of the first races I remember watching live though. Drama all the way through and the winner wasn't even decided until 3 days after the race? Could you imagine the outcry now in the social media era? Imagine Leclerc getting the victory the Wednesday after Austria 2019!

Germany 2019 - I still maintain this was the best race I've ever watched in terms of absolute non-stop lap after lap action. I want to relive it all over as if I didn't know what was going to happen! I was on holiday when it was on and I'll remember the holiday for watching this race just as much as everything else I got up to.

Belgium 1998 - this is one of the iconic races in Sport's history. Not one I watched at the time (although I do have a clear visual memory of that crash happening) but it really did have everything and so many specific noteworthy moments. Not just the 13 car pile-up but Schumi Sr vs DC and Schumi Jr/Damon vs the Jordan team.

Canada 2011 - cannot argue with this, it was certainly the one I ranked in first. Oh. My. Word. Arguably the most boring season I've ever watched but I think this race alone makes up for it! Watched this one in Toby Carvery, it certainly was an all-evening affair! I think all the delays etc. actually added to the spectacle with this one. But how did Button manage to win after 6 pit stops and not even make the back of the safety car train? Truly unbelievable.

Thanks very much for running this Mack. It's the most enthusiastic you'll ever see me get for anything on this forum so top marks! And thanks to those who supported and voted in it. Let's hope we see some races in 2020 fit to stand among those classics!

This post has been edited by Dobbo: 13th May 2020, 04:12 PM

+Quote this post
coi
post 13th May 2020, 04:32 PM
Post #125
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

Dobbo your thoughts on these races are all pretty much spot on for me!

Totally agree with your suggestion that Brazil 2016 was a bit overrated (it was still a good race but it didn't even make my votes!) and agree with the praise of Brazil 2012 being up there with 2008, indeed both of those races made my top three behind Canada 2011! Really exciting and dramatic season finale both times, let's not forget Raikkonen forgetting where the track was during Brazil 2012 too! laugh.gif And I certainly think the long rain delay made Canada 2011 more of a spectacle too, that was such an unforgettable evening.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 13th May 2020, 04:59 PM
Post #126
Group icon
Mansonette

Belgium '98 remains my favourite. Although I must admit after the start there was a crushing sense of anti climax when only 7 cars came by on the opening lap. We were at Pouhon and saw it on the screen of course but we had no idea how many cars would be able to restart. Fortunately, all was good and everything else happened right in front of us whilst we were treated to a stunning drive by Schumacher, with all the Germans on the hill with us chanting 'Schumi! Schumi!' until Coulthard instigated his second iconic crash of the day. As Michael stormed to the McLaren pit all the Brits launched in to the classic playground chant of 'Fight! Fight!'. Shortly after we noticed all the Germans had started packing up to go home until someone asked why they didn't care about Ralf . The penny dropped for them and they stopped and began chanting 'Ralf! Ralf!' Absolutely hilarious.

The other great memory was up by the back of the circuit just passed Courbe Paul Frere there was a small line of trees separating the path from the circuit and a tiny wire fence beyond which was the track. With no effort one could get to within 10m of the track. We were there during practice as Hakkinnen went by a full pelt. It was stunning and I'll never forget it.

If you only ever go to one circuit, make it Spa.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 13th May 2020, 09:26 PM
Post #127
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

QUOTE(Dobbo @ May 13 2020, 05:10 PM) *
Monaco 1982 - I just re-watched the highlights & final 3 laps of this on YT earlier this week. Definitely the race no one wanted to win laugh.gif cue James Hunt's legendary commentary.

Hungary 2006 - As great a race it was I can't think of anything other than James Allen's orgasm on commentary when Button crossed the line. From memory the Hungaroring was picked out as consistently being the most boring track on the calendar before this race and most years since then it's delivered!

Europe 2007 - one of the most exciting, fun times I ever had watching a race as a teen. The scene of car after car going off at turn 1 was something I could scarcely believe happening in reality and only in a video game! This was during the Summer 2007 floods which affected my region of Gloucestershire extremely badly so the weather in the race was certainly very fitting! The drama at the end between Alonso & Massa both on and off-track I feel has largely been forgotten too. Also, this race sadly was a precedent to Bianchi's fatal crash (watch Liuzzi's spin & aftermath).

Brazil 2016 - a very good race but I feel a bit overrated? And certainly not better than some below it, perhaps the recency factor played a part. I watched this one in TenPin of all places. Max gets all the plaudits but let's not overlook Hamilton who drove a now customary faultless, incident-free race in wet conditions.

Brazil 2012 - now this is more like! Arguably just as exciting as Brazil 2008 just without the very last lap drama as I think this race ended behind a safety car? But it was some comeback from Vettel this, no idea how his car survived that crash into the sidepod at turn 4. Also this was Hulkenberg's best ever chance of a podium too. A truly breathtaking finale to one of the best seasons in recent memory.

Brazil 2008 - 3 words. IS. THAT. GLOCK?! We will never see a finale like this again, it's the Sergio Aguerooooooo moment of Formula 1. One of the great sporting moments from a personal perspective (along with England's penalty victory in the last world cup - also something we may never see again laugh.gif)

Brazil 2003 - impressed this beat 2008! One of the first races I remember watching live though. Drama all the way through and the winner wasn't even decided until 3 days after the race? Could you imagine the outcry now in the social media era? Imagine Leclerc getting the victory the Wednesday after Austria 2019!

Germany 2019 - I still maintain this was the best race I've ever watched in terms of absolute non-stop lap after lap action. I want to relive it all over as if I didn't know what was going to happen! I was on holiday when it was on and I'll remember the holiday for watching this race just as much as everything else I got up to.

Belgium 1998 - this is one of the iconic races in Sport's history. Not one I watched at the time (although I do have a clear visual memory of that crash happening) but it really did have everything and so many specific noteworthy moments. Not just the 13 car pile-up but Schumi Sr vs DC and Schumi Jr/Damon vs the Jordan team.

Canada 2011 - cannot argue with this, it was certainly the one I ranked in first. Oh. My. Word. Arguably the most boring season I've ever watched but I think this race alone makes up for it! Watched this one in Toby Carvery, it certainly was an all-evening affair! I think all the delays etc. actually added to the spectacle with this one. But how did Button manage to win after 6 pit stops and not even make the back of the safety car train? Truly unbelievable.
Thanks very much for running this Mack. It's the most enthusiastic you'll ever see me get for anything on this forum so top marks! And thanks to those who supported and voted in it. Let's hope we see some races in 2020 fit to stand among those classics!

No problem, thank you very much for your contribution and your views it is much very appreciated.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 13th May 2020, 09:29 PM
Post #128
Group icon

QUOTE(coi @ May 13 2020, 04:32 PM) *
Really good results there, that is one strong top ten (lol at that run of four Brazil races between #4 and #7, probably my favourite track for quality races!) and all of the top six here were in my ten favourites too wub.gif

And of course Canada 2011 was my favourite F1 race of all time too (even watching the commentators fill in the rain break was iconic! biggrin.gif) so I'm very happy to see it finish top here as well!

Thanks for running this!

Thanks very much coi. No problem at all.

QUOTE(Severin @ May 13 2020, 05:59 PM) *
Belgium '98 remains my favourite. Although I must admit after the start there was a crushing sense of anti climax when only 7 cars came by on the opening lap. We were at Pouhon and saw it on the screen of course but we had no idea how many cars would be able to restart. Fortunately, all was good and everything else happened right in front of us whilst we were treated to a stunning drive by Schumacher, with all the Germans on the hill with us chanting 'Schumi! Schumi!' until Coulthard instigated his second iconic crash of the day. As Michael stormed to the McLaren pit all the Brits launched in to the classic playground chant of 'Fight! Fight!'. Shortly after we noticed all the Germans had started packing up to go home until someone asked why they didn't care about Ralf . The penny dropped for them and they stopped and began chanting 'Ralf! Ralf!' Absolutely hilarious.

The other great memory was up by the back of the circuit just passed Courbe Paul Frere there was a small line of trees separating the path from the circuit and a tiny wire fence beyond which was the track. With no effort one could get to within 10m of the track. We were there during practice as Hakkinnen went by a full pelt. It was stunning and I'll never forget it.

Wow, that is amazing that you were at Spa for the 1998 race.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 13th May 2020, 09:34 PM
Post #129
Group icon

QUOTE(coi @ May 13 2020, 05:32 PM) *
Dobbo your thoughts on these races are all pretty much spot on for me!

Totally agree with your suggestion that Brazil 2016 was a bit overrated (it was still a good race but it didn't even make my votes!) and agree with the praise of Brazil 2012 being up there with 2008, indeed both of those races made my top three behind Canada 2011! Really exciting and dramatic season finale both times, let's not forget Raikkonen forgetting where the track was during Brazil 2012 too! laugh.gif And I certainly think the long rain delay made Canada 2011 more of a spectacle too, that was such an unforgettable evening.

Canada 2011 is a deserved winner. Button's win is the most remarkable I've seen in F1. Brazil 2012 that was a classic. I think it was more Verstappen's drive why Brazil 2016 finished in the Top 10.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 14th May 2020, 08:52 AM
Post #130
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

QUOTE(Severin @ May 13 2020, 05:59 PM) *

Good to hear first-hand experience of such a classic race. I've only been to 3 circuits on the current calendar and believe me, Spa is certainly up there as my next preference!

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 08:21 PM