BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Music Video Relevance, + What are the biggest songs not to have an official music video?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Sour Candy
post 25th March 2024, 01:32 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

Does the Despacito remix have a music video?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 25th March 2024, 01:33 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Madonna - Holiday
and some early singles too (Angel, Causin'a commotion, Rescue me)

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 25th March 2024, 01:33 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Mar 25 2024, 03:29 PM) *
Yeah One Dance easily.

Other top 10 hits that sprang to mind:

Lady Gaga - Do What U Want
Usher - I Don't Mind

Out of Gaga's hits, The Cure (#19) and Bloody Mary (#22) don't have a video either.

This post has been edited by Sour Candy: 25th March 2024, 01:36 PM

+Quote this post
Mangų
post 25th March 2024, 01:38 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151

QUOTE(Sour Candy @ Mar 25 2024, 01:33 PM) *
Out of Gaga's hits, The Cure (#19) and Bloody Mary (#22) don't have a video either.

Bloody Mary wasn't exactly a proper single though was it, and we're talking about the biggest hits not to have music videos

This post has been edited by Mangų: 25th March 2024, 01:38 PM

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 25th March 2024, 01:39 PM
Post #25
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

QUOTE(Smint @ Mar 25 2024, 01:29 PM) *
Well TikTok is getting banned in the USA and probably UK won't follow on too far behind....

Potentially, it's not confirmed yet. It depends what TikTok's owners decide to do.

+Quote this post
Math!
post 25th March 2024, 02:14 PM
Post #26
Group icon
(✿◠‿◠)
Pronouns: new york
User: 19,852

None of the singles off '21' had videos after Someone Like You! A live performance of Set Fire to the Rain has 800m views.

This post has been edited by Math!: 25th March 2024, 02:14 PM

+Quote this post
Smint
post 25th March 2024, 02:17 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

Teddy Swims doesn't have an official video just a live performance.

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 25th March 2024, 02:31 PM
Post #28
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA
Pronouns: he/him
User: 153,406

'Last Night' by Morgan Wallen was the biggest hit over in the US last year and I believe it didn't have an official video either (it did have a performance video iirc). Zach Bryan's 'I Remember Everything' has also been a pretty big hit internationally without a video.

#1s in the UK that haven't had an official music video released this decade that come to mind: Kenya Grace's 'Strangers', Taylor Swift's 'Is It Over Now?' & SAINt JHN's 'Roses (Imanbek Remix)'

+Quote this post
SimpsonFan
post 25th March 2024, 03:33 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 97,817

QUOTE(Y @ Mar 25 2024, 02:31 PM) *
'Last Night' by Morgan Wallen was the biggest hit over in the US last year and I believe it didn't have an official video either (it did have a performance video iirc). Zach Bryan's 'I Remember Everything' has also been a pretty big hit internationally without a video.

#1s in the UK that haven't had an official music video released this decade that come to mind: Kenya Grace's 'Strangers', Taylor Swift's 'Is It Over Now?' & SAINt JHN's 'Roses (Imanbek Remix)'

There is a music video for Roses

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 25th March 2024, 03:36 PM
Post #30
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA
User: 153,406

QUOTE(SimpsonFan @ Mar 25 2024, 03:33 PM) *
There is a music video for Roses

Oh yeah, I forgot that the video wan't released on either SAINt or Imanbek's channel laugh.gif I just disregarded it as a "fan-made" video whilst I was scrolling through for results oop

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 25th March 2024, 06:19 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
User: 21,587

I remember before YouTube was such a force I would have to stick The Box music channel on for ages to wait until they played a music video for a song I wanted to hear. Naturally, I would make video tapes and record my favourite songs on there so I could play the videos back again later. laugh.gif Times have changed just a little from then (which was only the late 90’s). tongue.gif

This feels like such an ancient concept in 2024 that we had to live through back then! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Notorious D.O.T
post 25th March 2024, 07:20 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 122,344

Their relevance has massively reduced in the streaming era. They can still on occasion become a talking point (e.g. Montero (Call Me By Your Name) but are no longer a promotional necessity.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 25th March 2024, 08:44 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

I loved to watch music channels growing up! There was a TV in my room with Freeview; I seem to recall tuning in to both 4Music and VIVA regularly, the latter closed down and the former barely plays any actual music now sad.gif that phasing out in the latter half of the 2010s felt like a sign of times changing for me. Another specific turning point on a personal level was suddenly realising that I'd never seen the 'Shape Of You' music video months after it came out despite it being a monster hit. I also thought that the previous year felt like a slightly more low effort shift for mainstream music videos with the complete lack of one for 'One Dance' and a video for 'Closer' by The Chainsmokers arriving quite late - the lyric video is burnt into my brain instead.

...I did still hear about YouTube records being broken at that point and for a few more years to come though. However, now the decline there is evident. Ariana is a good example as I track her YT stats quite closely in her Artist Forum and the numbers for her newer singles do feel so much lower compared to the start of previous eras so far.

I still appreciate the music video as an art form and do keep an eye out for them from my favourite artists, thanks to being subscribed to their channels. Very occasionally I will binge-watch the videography of some of them too as it can be fun escapism to watch visuals developing and listen to great songs. I have also been making recap videos for my personal chart top 40 for the past couple of years, so that keeps me on top of watching a lot of the videos for songs I currently love, but the majority of my chart isn't top 40 hits so I do feel a bit behind with mainstream videos. I guess my taste developing has given me less of an urge to be quite so on top of that, but I really was as a kid/teenager and 'Telephone' definitely stands out in particular as being the talk of school the next day. There are still boosts and talking points to be had, particularly on the internet ('WAP' and 'MONTERO' spring to mind in recent years) but music videos do feel a lot less relevant overall nowadays.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 25th March 2024, 08:50 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

Talking of Chainsmokers, their collaboration with Coldplay 'Something Just Like This' (which is Coldplay's biggest hit of all time on Spotify) never had an official video either.

+Quote this post
Notorious D.O.T
post 25th March 2024, 10:11 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 122,344

QUOTE(Jade @ Mar 25 2024, 08:44 PM) *
I loved to watch music channels growing up! There was a TV in my room with Freeview; I seem to recall tuning in to both 4Music and VIVA regularly, the latter closed down and the former barely plays any actual music now sad.gif that phasing out in the latter half of the 2010s felt like a sign of times changing for me. Another specific turning point on a personal level was suddenly realising that I'd never seen the 'Shape Of You' music video months after it came out despite it being a monster hit. I also thought that the previous year felt like a slightly more low effort shift for mainstream music videos with the complete lack of one for 'One Dance' and a video for 'Closer' by The Chainsmokers arriving quite late - the lyric video is burnt into my brain instead.

...I did still hear about YouTube records being broken at that point and for a few more years to come though. However, now the decline there is evident. Ariana is a good example as I track her YT stats quite closely in her Artist Forum and the numbers for her newer singles do feel so much lower compared to the start of previous eras so far.

I still appreciate the music video as an art form and do keep an eye out for them from my favourite artists, thanks to being subscribed to their channels. Very occasionally I will binge-watch the videography of some of them too as it can be fun escapism to watch visuals developing and listen to great songs. I have also been making recap videos for my personal chart top 40 for the past couple of years, so that keeps me on top of watching a lot of the videos for songs I currently love, but the majority of my chart isn't top 40 hits so I do feel a bit behind with mainstream videos. I guess my taste developing has given me less of an urge to be quite so on top of that, but I really was as a kid/teenager and 'Telephone' definitely stands out in particular as being the talk of school the next day. There are still boosts and talking points to be had, particularly on the internet ('WAP' and 'MONTERO' spring to mind in recent years) but music videos do feel a lot less relevant overall nowadays.

4Music's video era wub.gif

I have very vivid memories of being off sick from school for the best part of a week and basically watching 4Music regular rotation on loop on the sofa. As such the videos of Rolling In The Deep, Grenade, What's My Name, Do It Like A Dude, ET, Black Eyed Peas Just Can't Get Enough, Diddy Dirty Money's Coming Home, Martin Solveig's Hello and Wretch 32's Traktor are burnt in my brain forever lmao. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 28th March 2024, 05:06 PM
Post #36
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

I find it quite sad that the music video is now becoming an irrelevance. Perhaps that is partly because growing up they could play such a vital role in whether a single soared or sunk without a trace, that it is a pang of nostalgia for my childhood and discovering unknown gems whilst scrolling through the music channels in the days before YouTube.

Ones I distinctly remember were “Star Guitar” by the Chemical Brothers for its clever use of the objects outside of a train window to match the beat and punctuation of the track, “Frontier Psychiatrist” by Avalanches - a song made entirely of a wide variety of samples made in to a genius town hall amateur dramatics performance and Rob Dougan's “Clubbed To Death”*. All three of those songs I first discovered because of their music videos and I bought the singles because of that reason (and they also all went to #1 on my personal chart at the time).

I guess the art of 'singles' has gradually died away over the years since the physical chart died a death- but I still appreciate artists who make an effort to commission or design artwork for a single, and a corresponding artistic and thoughtful music video which enhances the track, instead of just slapping out an 'official lyric video' or rotating image of the album artwork on a loop.

*although I think I first heard this track on the Renford Rejects!

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 28th March 2024, 08:43 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

"Get Lucky" by Daft Punk never got a proper music video, although short clips from what purported to be the music video were released. Don't know if it'll ever get a release.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 28th March 2024, 10:09 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

QUOTE(Sour Candy @ Mar 25 2024, 01:33 PM) *

To be fair "Bloody Mary" didn't need one with the viral dance music videos which have 500 million+ views combined (The main version has ~411 million views currently and is getting 400-500k views/day still as well).

Music videos can still make a difference and I really enjoy good videos. Megan Thee Stallions "Hiss" video definitely helped the song to debut at #1 in the US (and top 40 in the UK) for instance.

The fall in youtube is main due to TikTok.

Also, spotify has added music videos over the last 6 months or so. I assume views of these count towards song stream totals and may also be a reason for youtube views falling further?

+Quote this post
Brer
post 28th March 2024, 10:39 PM
Post #39
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

QUOTE(Envoirment @ Mar 28 2024, 10:09 PM) *
Megan Thee Stallions "Hiss" video definitely helped the song to debut at #1 in the US (and top 40 in the UK) for instance.

I think that was much more to do with the virality of her beef with Nicki (and her awful response) than anything else tbf. I don't remember there being that much discussion about the video.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 29th March 2024, 01:24 AM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

QUOTE(Brer @ Mar 28 2024, 10:39 PM) *
I think that was much more to do with the virality of her beef with Nicki (and her awful response) than anything else tbf. I don't remember there being that much discussion about the video.

The music video did ~6-7 million streams in the US first week. Plus a lot of reaction videos regarding the Nicki beef were using the music video (there's also some parts of the video where Megan is dressed similar to how Nicki has looked previously). Not to mention there was also the behind the scenes video which added a little more to the streams. Also the video would've boosted the songs sales a little initially.

I believe she wasn't too far ahead of Jack Harlow when she debuted at #1. If she didn't have the streams of the music video and the general boost it gave the song, she would've more than likely debuted at #2.

I'm not saying the Nicki beef wasn't the main reason for the massive boost/interest the song got, but the music video did make some difference in its streams to the point it likely wouldn't have debuted at #1 without it.

This post has been edited by Envoirment: 29th March 2024, 01:24 AM

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 10:56 AM