BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Alexandra Burke speaks out on past racism experiences
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 20th June 2020, 02:02 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Shocking to hear these experiences but I applaud Alexandra for having the courage to speak out. She doesn't mention names but it's easy to guess who she's referring to.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 20th June 2020, 02:36 AM
Post #2
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161

Watched that whole video and wow. That journalist as we all know is not even on the level of pond life. But her experiences were so shocking, the fact a young excited girl had to face those comments is horrifying.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 20th June 2020, 02:40 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Honestly when she was talking about a certain journalist there was one name that immediately popped into my head, so I googled him and Alexandra's name together and, lo and behold, there was numerous articles popping up.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 20th June 2020, 02:57 AM
Post #4
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

That's so sad. sad.gif

I feel like Alexandra's treatment on Strictly was a lot more visible than most, like I think the way she was treated on that show is the first time I truly started to notice it happening (with people talking about it on here and social media etc..) and it opened my eyes a lot more because I was reading about it and... I didn't even watch the show?! That's how much of an impact it made on me. But I was one of the lucky ones to have enough friends in my social circles to retweet these things and see them for what they were, whereas majority of the world wouldn't have (hence why it continued the longer she was on the show).

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 20th June 2020, 02:59 AM
Post #5
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Jun 20 2020, 03:40 AM) *
Honestly when she was talking about a certain journalist there was one name that immediately popped into my head, so I googled him and Alexandra's name together and, lo and behold, there was numerous articles popping up.
I just did the same thing lmao! I'm not sure if it's coz he's the only journalist I truly know by name or what, but yeah. I got it too! He's always been vile. puke.gif

EDIT: I split the topics as I think this would get more attention this way.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 20th June 2020, 04:01 AM
Post #6
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

sad.gif I feel for her. I watched some of her Strictly season and I was certainly very aware of the constant negative feedback she was getting from social media / Daily Mail comments etc, which was absolutely encouraged due to a certain tabloid. It was literally like she couldn't do anything right. Comments like: too overconfident, too loud, she's fake, she's annoying. So much stuff totally unrelated to what should have been the main point of the show - can she dance well? And yes she really could, but it felt like that wasn't important for a lot of people. That certainly feeds into what is unfortunately showing itself to be true: "a black person has to work so much harder".

I've personally never understood why she riles the public so much. I mean, obviously not everyone is going to like every celebrity... yet it does seem to me like Alexandra got called out on certain personality traits that would be considered in a positive light from certain other celebrities. She's clearly a lovely and extremely talented woman. Is it rooted in jealousy... is it rooted in racism? I'm sure for some people it is, even if they wouldn't admit it.

Her experiences within the industry, like being told to have her hair a certain way, to bleach her skin (wtf sad.gif ), being told she'll never accomplish a particular level of success because of being black... it's shocking, and I really don't understand that negative mindset. That supposed ceiling really needs to be knocked down. Alexandra was and is incredibly talented, so for her management/labels to essentially tell her she'd never be good enough... that's just sad.

I'm glad she's finally felt able to speak out and I hope it's a weight that has been lifted off her shoulders.

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 20th June 2020, 05:28 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588

Alexandra heart.gif

This video really touched me, yet again, even though everyone already knows what happened to her. The treatment she received in recent years has been one of the most obvious cases rooted in micro-agressions and racism and it's disgusting. These so called 'journalist' (they are not real journalists are they, they are trash) made her live a living hell and for what reason? Alex has always come accross as SUCH a genuine, nice, hard-working person who loves to sing and is grateful for the chances she got. The fact that people even said 'she looked too agressive' would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. She has one of the kindest faces I have ever seen, couldn't look agressive if she tried.

I did however wonder about the comment she made about making music that appealed to white people. Do we think she was maybe talking about her second album?

And now let's just all stream some Alexandra today to celebrate her career <3

This post has been edited by Chemistry: 20th June 2020, 05:29 AM

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 20th June 2020, 07:59 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

I've probably said this a thousand times but the racism in the industry and the GP was her downfall. And I was right all along.

You could see it everywhere from the beginning of her career. She was insecure and "weak" on the XFactor but the second she became confident she became a threat and people turned on her big time.

Her story aboyt being told she was never truly gonna make it cause of her colour just breaks my heart. I can't imagine how she dealt with that. I woulda quit right away....

The "white music" she is talking about was defo about the 2nd album. She recorded a whole ass R&B infused album, but syco scrapped it and had her record HOH. I understand why she left, but from her story, RCA weren't much better.

The media was on her ass all the time as well. They have so much power and the fact that 1 journalist, lets call a pig a pig, Dan Wootton managed to create this whole story about her being a diva, a bitch, and the GP ran with it. Such a problematic story

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 20th June 2020, 08:07 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588

QUOTE(*Tim @ Jun 20 2020, 07:59 AM) *
The media was on her ass all the time as well. They have so much power and the fact that 1 journalist, lets call a pig a pig, Dan Wootton managed to create this whole story about her being a diva, a bitch, and the GP ran with it. Such a problematic story

Dan Wootton really is a vile human being, I just don't understand how someone do be like that, and I don't understand why he is not called out more often.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 20th June 2020, 10:15 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

This has absolutely broken me today, I think it is because she is SUCH a Dave of mine. She has always come across, to me,as an absolute star with such a big heart. When I met her at a Pride a few years back she was the most kind and hilarious person, so loving and naturally really warm.

I fell in love with her on The X Factor and I could never, and will never, for the life of me understand the hatred she got in such horrible disgusting comments. She has literally done nothing wrong but because she was confident and talented, people felt the need to tear her down. Even when she came back for The X Factor as a guest judge she was ridiculed to the high heavens for her (hilarious) "okay dot com" moment - who I'm sure if it was a white female like Cheryl no one would have batted an eyelid at.

The journalist in question is the lowest of the low. He has made his entire career off of tearing down and belittling women - he has constantly done the same to Cheryl for example, however her backlash was nowhere near as bad as Alex's. He owes at the very least a public apology to Alex, her treatment in Strictly was despicable and I'm certain she would have won had it not been for the press hounding her so.

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 20th June 2020, 10:24 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

What makes me even more sad is that it should've been the best experience for her as it's a passion of hers. And that got ruined because of this hatred. The fact that she doesn't even wanna speak about that time anymore...

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 20th June 2020, 10:37 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

This is heartbreaking, it makes me so sad and so angry at the same time. What the actual F is wrong with people? I met her when I was working at MTV in a lowly researcher position and she was just lovely such a genuine person.

This post has been edited by Spiceboy: 20th June 2020, 10:38 AM

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 20th June 2020, 10:58 AM
Post #13
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

I’ll never understand why Dan Wottoon is so popular, hes trash. He basically led the Caroline backlash, deleted everything and promoted be kind.

+Quote this post
Scene
post 20th June 2020, 11:21 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

Wow.... that video breaks me. sad.gif I will post my proper reaction and thoughts later when I have time to articulate them but I'll just say for now that the scumbag of a journalist in question deserves the most horrific downfall. He played his part in pushing Caroline Flack over the edge and his treatment of Alex is ****ing disgusting to put it mildly. The fact his games during her Strictly stint were so obvious to me yet the GP fed off his lies. cry.gif

+Quote this post
Billy.
post 20th June 2020, 11:44 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,095

This is honestly heartbreaking - how much more is Daniel Wooton going to be allowed to do before he is dismissed? Caroline Flack, Alexandra Burke the list goes on.

+Quote this post
troylovesmusic
post 20th June 2020, 12:53 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,179

I’m so glad she has spoken out and I was honestly waiting for her to do so . She has been one of the main and almost obvious cases of the media and the music industry tearing down a Black women in the UK industry and her treatment is quite frankly just disgusting . I remember when she even won X factor she would get unnecessary microaggression comments thrown at her and those just carried on and got even worse throughout her career . How she was torn apart and treated on Strictly despite what she was going through with her mum at the time is debatably imo the worst of it all . She in my eyes is probably one of the most talented and all round talents we have in the UK and should be WAY bigger than she is but WHITE people in the music and entertainment industry simply would just not allow it .

+Quote this post
Slick
post 20th June 2020, 01:15 PM
Post #17
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70

I f***ing LOVE her and respect her so much for that. She is such a talent and it's so wrong and upsetting that she's been treated this way, and held back because of the colour of her skin. I remember the way EVERYONE responded when she was a guest judge on The X Factor (the "OK.COM" comment in particular). Just one example of many where black women have been torn apart for being their authentic selves.

I hope her video does inspire others to speak their truths because it's absolutely necessary right now, and some people who are still confused or feeling a type of way about the Black Lives Matter movement might listen if they hear from popstars who have real life examples.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 20th June 2020, 01:17 PM
Post #18
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

Dan Wootten has manoeuvred himself to be a right wing commentator and is capitalising on that so sadly he won’t be going anywhere soon. Definitely one of my least favourite people ever though, another one who feeds off hate.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 20th June 2020, 01:20 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

I don’t think it’s all to do with race regarding people’s view of Alexandra although I can see how people think it might play a part.

I can’t deny her talent as a performer and I genuinely really like Broken Heels as a song too but it’s her OTT dramatic personality I find it hard to take too and it’s something I associate with Jessie J as well someone who’s a very different race so like my view on Alex isn’t to do with race and I can kinda see where the negativity off her personality comes from it’s stuff she comes out with like ok.com for instance or the time she claimed she brought the saying elephant in the room to the UK there’s other things as well but they’re just two examples. I think she got a bit caught up in her debut era success and was of an opinion she thought she was bigger than what she was. It can’t just be me who thinks that though you don’t go from the success she had with album one to what she had with album two.

I will say though the whole strictly thing was uncomfortable. I mean she had just lost a parent and she was brave for doing the show at such a bad time in her personal life. I always kinda root for the underdog so I’d have never voted for her to win as I go on the most improved kinda thing but she deserved to be in the final off her ability.

IK this is verging on going off topic but on Strictly if there’s ever a person who’s in the dance off a lot but is good you can tend to see a pattern. For instance we had Alexandra, Jamelia, Michelle Williams, Heather Small, and then male wise theres Simon Webbe, then we have early exit Aston and Dev from the last series too. There could be others there I haven’t mentioned.

I definitely agree with what she’s saying in the video in regards to a journalist though.

+Quote this post
Slick
post 20th June 2020, 01:26 PM
Post #20
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70

I think anybody saying "I don't think it's because she's black" should be VERY careful. Remember racism is built into society and our way of thinking, and if you are not black, it's not for you to say "it's not racism."

This post has been edited by Slick: 20th June 2020, 01:28 PM

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 07:18 AM