BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Alexandra Burke speaks out on past racism experiences
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JackTheeStallion
post Jun 20 2020, 01:27 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
What on earth does saying ''okay dot com'' and the whole elephant thing make her deserving of the public backlash she's gone through? Like many others have said, she was being her complete authentic and loving self. I find her to be so warm and confident, yes, but never ever cocky about the success she's had. If anything, she's been very humble and thankful for the fans she has.

I think it's very naive to say it's not just about race, you mention Jessie J but even she hasn't gone through the same turmoil that Alex has with the press. She is an extraordinary talent anyway, but because it hasn't been perceived to be that way in the press and media, you'd be well to think otherwise. She has every right to be confident with that!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post Jun 20 2020, 01:32 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588
QUOTE(Jack @ Jun 20 2020, 01:27 PM) *
What on earth does saying ''okay dot com'' and the whole elephant thing make her deserving of the public backlash she's gone through? Like many others have said, she was being her complete authentic and loving self. I find her to be so warm and confident, yes, but never ever cocky about the success she's had. If anything, she's been very humble and thankful for the fans she has.

THIS.

I kind understand how people found the 'okay dot com' comment cringe-y, at most, but nothing more than that. It's very telling how the general public seemed more concerned about Alex's little comment than the hate speech someone like Katie Hopkins has given us over the years.

And I honestly do not see how anyone could even think she was arrogant? She always comes accross as super humble and just very happy to be in her position, performing and making music. And yes, Jessie definitely got some (mostly online) stick, but I have never seen a true journalistic campaign to tear her down. And even though has popularity fell after her first record, she still did a lot better than Alex with her sophomore album. It seemed like the pubclic just want Alex to fail and you can't deny a lot of that has to do with her skin colour. See Jamelia, See Misha B, see Alesha Dixon and the list continues.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 20 2020, 01:35 PM
Post #23
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
The most concerning things for me about Alexandra's revelations is that she literally got asked to "bleach her skin" coz "white people won't get it"... like WHAAAAT? If that isn't racism, then I don't know what is. She got asked to not have braids or an afro for that same reason... so this isn't just about her personality and how she was portrayed by certain journalists who got a kick out of literally bullying her.

EDIT: Oh and the "OK DOT COM" comment was hilarious. The over reaction to that has always kinda amused me just coz of how ridiculous it was that she got lynched for that comment!? It should have been a meme (and it kind of is tbh, I see it quoted a fair bit now) that was respected and was made light of.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 20 2020, 01:36 PM
Post #24
Group icon
User: 13,007
The strength she had to deliver that message heart.gif I am so proud of her. Always been a massive fan of her and the way her career declined in terms of commercial success was horrible to see and I wish she was given the chance to continue what she wanted to do musically and still get the support her debut era did. She is a true force, a talent and such a beautiful soul. She was incredible in The Bodyguard and her 2 albums both have sensational moments throughout. She (or anyone) should never have faced this downright, racist bullying. Bleach her skin? Not have braids? This is what makes her, her. No one should have to change for anyone and I am glad she has finally found the courage to speak out.

The most upsetting thing about the video is how much regret she has and how strongly she wishes she spoke up more earlier sad.gif

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Jun 20 2020, 01:44 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jun 20 2020, 02:35 PM) *
Oh and the "OK DOT COM" comment was hilarious. The over reaction to that has always kinda amused me just coz of how ridiculous it was that she got lynched for that comment!? It should have been a meme (and it kind of is tbh, I see it quoted a fair bit now) that was respected and was made light of.

I stan. I also want to have that t-shirt wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jun 20 2020, 01:48 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
I think Alexandra (and to my earlier point Jessie J) suffer from being British too. If they were American for instance she might be more popular it isn’t seen as bad when American females are confident and this is just a generalisation of females in general but on UK TV shows it’s kinda really looked on as being bad when a female is confident it’s looked on in a negative way more so than a man.

Leona for example won X Factor just two years before Alexandra and as much as her voice is legit breathtaking she was endearing because she come across that she was unaware of her talent and she had a shyness about her what kinda appealed to the public she was like someone you rooted for. When someone’s more confident it’s wrongly kinda seen in a bad way. We definitely see that on UK reality shows but it isn’t seen that way in other countries.

+Quote this post
Slick
post Jun 20 2020, 01:53 PM
Post #27
Group icon
electric butterflies
Pronouns: he/him
User: 70
QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Jun 20 2020, 02:48 PM) *
I think Alexandra (and to my earlier point Jessie J) suffer from being British too. If they were American for instance she might be more popular it isn’t seen as bad when American females are confident and this is just a generalisation of females in general but on UK TV shows it’s kinda really looked on as being bad when a female is confident it’s looked on in a negative way more so than a man.

Leona for example won X Factor just two years before Alexandra and as much as her voice is legit breathtaking she was endearing because she come across that she was unaware of her talent and she had a shyness about her what kinda appealed to the public she was like someone you rooted for. When someone’s more confident it’s wrongly kinda seen in a bad way. We definitely see that on UK reality shows but it isn’t seen that way in other countries.

I agree with you there. It's a uniquely British thing that confidence is discouraged. You have to be modest and humble. I think it affects everyone but it affects women in particular (and black women even moreso where confidence is mistaken for aggression or being a diva.)

This post has been edited by Slick: Jun 20 2020, 01:55 PM

+Quote this post
*Tim
post Jun 20 2020, 02:04 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660
Just reading the replies in the commentsections on facebook says it all. People are either blaming her, telling her she's lieing or jumping on a bandwagon cause she didnt speak up earlier :')

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Jun 20 2020, 02:07 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(*Tim @ Jun 20 2020, 03:04 PM) *
Just reading the replies in the commentsections on facebook says it all. People are either blaming her, telling her she's lieing or jumping on a bandwagon cause she didnt speak up earlier :')

Facebook is godawful, full of middle aged white women who are unhappy with their miserable lives.

On Instagram, it's quite the opposite - alot of positive comments, including Fleur East wub.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Jun 20 2020, 02:42 PM
Post #30
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Actually didn't know a lot of this. Some of those comments she had are shocking.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jun 20 2020, 02:55 PM
Post #31
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
'Bleach your skin to get people to like you'

Wow, that was said in the 21st Century. I can't.

+Quote this post
Marty
post Jun 20 2020, 03:13 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,128
Very touching.
Indeed I hope more and more people speak out and more name names.
The effect on people’s lives that exploitative liars like Dan Wootton and others make needs to be put in the spotlight.
The fact that guy has been repeatedly promoted, even appearing at Covid briefings, is utterly shameful.

+Quote this post
Billy.
post Jun 20 2020, 03:17 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,095
QUOTE(Jack @ Jun 20 2020, 02:27 PM) *

I think it's very naive to say it's not just about race, you mention Jessie J but even she hasn't gone through the same turmoil that Alex has with the press. She is an extraordinary talent anyway, but because it hasn't been perceived to be that way in the press and media, you'd be well to think otherwise. She has every right to be confident with that!

I completely agree, I've never ever understood the hate for Alexandra because she hasn't ever came across as rude or 'aggressive' at all!

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jun 20 2020, 06:10 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Jord
This site is very much in the minority of the rest of the GP in regards to the ok.com incident.

I didn’t necessarily think it was aggression or anything though just a cringe moment and like why say that it was embarrassing to watch I think she thought it would go down really well as well.

This video of her below of her judging shows off her OTT side a lot though and how she tried really hard it was like she was acting or trying to be funny. She made a few good critiques but at the same time she spoke down to some people a few times in a bit of a patronising way. It was only really Little Mix and Misha were I felt like what she was saying felt genuine.

It’s very much though the way Jessie J acted when she was on The Voice. This was literally the night she would become a one album wonder in the UK if she hadn’t guest judged that night who knows what could’ve happened but this is when it all went downhill for her. She was standing in for Kelly wasn’t she who herself was probably still just fuming after THAT incident the previous week.

I definitely can see why people might think she’s over the top or of the assumption that she thinks she’s bigger than what she is though. The time she went on about wanting to be the first person to bring elephant in the room to the UK was another total hands over face moment.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post Jun 20 2020, 06:13 PM
Post #35
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161
I watched that exact video of her judging last night after she made the video and I...can't see a problem? The elephant in the room is iconic and I won't hear otherwise x (and she was just a young girl, who cares?)

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Jun 20 2020, 06:16 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I don't know why you're trying to force us to see that she's annoying? Like, this is her outcry for how she has been been belittled by the press and public for YEARS and it's almost definetly due to the colour of her skin. If a big female singer like Dua acted in the same manner, no one would bat an eyelid. Or if we were to compare personalities, Gemma Collins for example has said similarly OTT things and people find her hilarious - you're very naive to think it's just because people found her ''cringe''.

I have rewatched both of those clips and I think she is just being her true authentic self, which I personally find very endearing and just ... genuine? I see nothing wrong with that. It's a massive shame that you seem to want people to dampen their personalities and not be as confident to appease you.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jun 20 2020, 06:18 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Jord
She’s genuinely as known for those 3 words than she is for her music career though or anything else.

I can’t think of anyone else who said something and had such a downfall the way Alexandra did. Probably Joss Stone putting on an American accent at the BRITS but even that I’d say was forgotten about way quicker than ok.com I still see it shared on my socials to this day.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jun 20 2020, 06:22 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Jord
QUOTE(Jack @ Jun 20 2020, 07:16 PM) *
I don't know why you're trying to force us to see that she's annoying? Like, this is her outcry for how she has been been belittled by the press and public for YEARS and it's almost definetly due to the colour of her skin. If a big female singer like Dua acted in the same manner, no one would bat an eyelid. Or if we were to compare personalities, Gemma Collins for example has said similarly OTT things and people find her hilarious - you're very naive to think it's just because people found her ''cringe''.

I have rewatched both of those clips and I think she is just being her true authentic self, which I personally find very endearing and just ... genuine? I see nothing wrong with that. It's a massive shame that you seem to want people to dampen their personalities and not be as confident to appease you.

It’s not that I’m trying to force people as it’ll just fall on deaf ears on this forum lol. It’s more because I said something earlier I’m linking people to what I said to see if they can see it that’s all. I can definitely say I don’t think she is aggressive or a diva as I’ve never seen direct proof of that. She just acted in a way for a time that she believed she was bigger than what she was and she hammed up her guest judge stint as she thought it would bring fantastic promo in a positive light in a time close before she was due to release her second album but it couldn’t have gone any worse.

Gemma Collins says OTT things but she’s not someone who has a talent. Like she’s a reality star and that’s her brand hamming up being a diva and trying to find new quotes / phrases. Alexandra is a performer with a talent who didn’t need to do that I think that’s the difference. Gemma is very much marmite too though there’s a load of people who can’t abide her.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Jun 20 2020, 06:27 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Why not act confident though? You say she was too big for her boots, she won X Factor in it's prime and she has the talent to back it up, why not be big of yourself, why is that such a bad thing to be?? I really don't see why people have a problem with that, it's not like she thought she was the next Beyoncé or anything, she just believed in herself which any talented woman should!

The reason it went so badly as you say, is because the general public have no sense of humour when it comes to women, let alone black women. Louis has said some repulsive things over the years that have been laughed off, I wonder why. I think you're letting your own personal opinion come into play, and just because the general public have the same opinion as you, doesn't necessarily mean it's correct or anything.

+Quote this post
Soapsfan20
post Jun 20 2020, 06:28 PM
Post #40
Group icon
New Entry
User: 96,699
QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Jun 20 2020, 07:10 PM) *
This site is very much in the minority of the rest of the GP in regards to the ok.com incident.

I didn’t necessarily think it was aggression or anything though just a cringe moment and like why say that it was embarrassing to watch I think she thought it would go down really well as well.

This video of her below of her judging shows off her OTT side a lot though and how she tried really hard it was like she was acting or trying to be funny. She made a few good critiques but at the same time she spoke down to some people a few times in a bit of a patronising way. It was only really Little Mix and Misha were I felt like what she was saying felt genuine.

It’s very much though the way Jessie J acted when she was on The Voice. This was literally the night she would become a one album wonder in the UK if she hadn’t guest judged that night who knows what could’ve happened but this is when it all went downhill for her. She was standing in for Kelly wasn’t she who herself was probably still just fuming after THAT incident the previous week.

I definitely can see why people might think she’s over the top or of the assumption that she thinks she’s bigger than what she is though. The time she went on about wanting to be the first person to bring elephant in the room to the UK was another total hands over face moment.

There’s nothing wrong with either video ... X Factor is an over the top show where the judges say stuff in spear of the moment and act over the top a lot of time . If a white judge like Cheryl or Tulisa for example said the same thing no one would had batted an eye lid or made such deal of it. Hell even if Nicole would have said it no one would have made a big deal about it . The way Alex was scrutinised and torn apart for this one comment and her judging on the show in general by people was just ridiculous .

This post has been edited by Soapsfan20: Jun 20 2020, 06:38 PM

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:50 AM