BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Israel · Eurovision Song Contest 2024, Eden Golan - Hurricane
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post 21st February 2024, 08:39 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

...yeah.

We may not need this thread for very long.

Anyway, so far KAN have announced Eden Golan would represent them after winning a talent show.

Last few days have been swirling with rumours that KAN's planned song has a title of 'October Rain' (obviously a political title) and it sounds like withdrawal is on the cards if the EBU rejects the song for being political. (Intentionally or not) Trying to pull a Belarus 2021 which may possibly be the best face-saving measure for all concerned. If true, the way this has all been released today and the last few days has my scepticism meter on alert but seemingly KAN have confirmed this narrative of events.

https://eurovoix.com/2024/02/21/kan-will-wi...ng-is-rejected/

KAN, the Israeli broadcaster, has said that Israel will withdraw from Eurovision 2024 if they are asked to make changes to their song.

The broadcaster has stated that their song – which is called “October Rain” – will not be changed even if the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) disqualifies it from competing.

I started this thread because it will probably be a point of discussion no matter what happens with the Israeli entry, I want to keep it from flooding up the Green Room thread, and I will be keeping a moderator's eye on this thread because any threads on this topic do have that kind of potential.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 21st February 2024, 09:53 PM
Post #2
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

I see that title and now that I think of it I see the political connotations that could result from it

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 21st February 2024, 10:20 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Oh that's absolutely vile! puke.gif And the fact they're already willing to pull out if they do get asked to change it (likely) just shows that they have no remorse for it... puke.gif

Good riddance!

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 22nd February 2024, 04:04 AM
Post #4
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117

I predicted this would happen weeks ago. Deliberately send a song that they can’t send, so they can withdraw in a “they made us do this” way, that makes them look like the victim.

+Quote this post
Jason
post 23rd February 2024, 04:16 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I've been looking for a Lasting Lover
User: 3,149

Israel and Russia hand in hand not performing on Eurovision please

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 23rd February 2024, 05:49 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

QUOTE(RobBot @ Feb 22 2024, 04:04 AM) *
I predicted this would happen weeks ago. Deliberately send a song that they can’t send, so they can withdraw in a “they made us do this” way, that makes them look like the victim.

I thought this!! So so transparent, absolutely vile

+Quote this post
BillyH
post 24th February 2024, 11:16 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614

I mean to be fair this was also Georgia 2009, the key difference then being that everyone likes Georgia and found it funny - there was no way in a million years that they were actually expecting to sing ‘We Don’t Want To Put In’ live on stage in Moscow, it was all a statement on the recent South Ossetia conflict. Ukraine in 2016 did win with a political song but much of Europe were on their side and it was just subtle enough to be accepted into the contest.

It would be pretty horrible on the artist if we had a Russia 2014/15 situation of being booed by half the arena every time they got points which was a recent low point in my memory, so I feel like if they do have to pull out because of this (which like Georgia ‘09/Belarus 2021 I do see as being slightly planned) it is probably for the best right now.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 24th February 2024, 02:25 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Not their entry but this is FUCKED UP

puke.gif

#BanIsraelFromEurovision

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 28th February 2024, 05:34 PM
Post #9
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

supposedly the song they tried to send was rejected as well as their alternate?

not sure why they’re still trying when they’re the most hated country in the world at the moment

+Quote this post
danG
post 3rd March 2024, 12:58 PM
Post #10
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

supposedly they've retitled October Rain to Hurricane now to get past the block for the former being too political and that'll now be allowed
disappointing if true

+Quote this post
Colm
post 3rd March 2024, 06:37 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

Israeli delegation to ChatGPT: ChatGPT, please re-write these lyrics to be less genocide-y so we can get past the EBU's rules.

This post has been edited by Colm: 3rd March 2024, 06:39 PM

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 3rd March 2024, 07:03 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(Colm @ Mar 3 2024, 06:37 PM) *
Israeli delegation to ChatGPT: ChatGPT, please re-write these lyrics to be less genocide-y so we can get past the EBU's rules.

!!!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 3rd March 2024, 07:27 PM
Post #13
Group icon

This isn't going to end well. Not least because the least effective boycotters in the world (no, a handful of online people ignoring Eurovision will not prevent Israel from getting the soft power they're seeking from this) will step up their game and I wouldn't like to be thinking about security as a Swedish organiser.

if I were the EBU I would keep rejecting them until they gave up but then if I were the EBU I wouldn't have an Israeli sponsor

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 3rd March 2024, 07:49 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

QUOTE(Iz �� @ Mar 3 2024, 07:27 PM) *
if I were the EBU I would keep rejecting them until they gave up but then if I were the EBU I wouldn't have an Israeli sponsor

Thought it was Morocco and their Oil that sponsored Eurovision!

This post has been edited by TheSnake: 3rd March 2024, 07:50 PM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 3rd March 2024, 08:28 PM
Post #15
Group icon

It's an Israeli beauty products company. Which doesn't mean anything in this instance, they appear just business-focused, in the time they've been sponsoring Eurovision I've not seen anything to suggest that the EBU have been giving Israel special treatment because of the company's origins and it has products sold all across Europe. But with recent events, not the best look and it's probably for the best that this is the last year of the deal anyway. Plus their name DOES give the impression that the contest is sponsored by the bad kind of oil if you're not familiar with it when it's just hair oil.

The Israeli forces that ARE affecting the contest is that the Israeli President has gone to bat for KAN to try and get the EBU to accept an entry from Israel and while it's not unheard of for politicians to make comment on Eurovision entries, at this time that feels like overreach.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 3rd March 2024, 10:32 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

Hugely hugely disappointing, the EBU putting money ahead of not just ethics and morality but the safety of everyone involved in the contest, it can’t be good for security for one. It’s putting such a dark cloud over this year’s contest, and Israel bottom line shouldn’t be given a platform and rewarded and uplifted for a genocide.

QUOTE(danG @ Mar 3 2024, 12:58 PM) *
supposedly they've retitled October Rain to Hurricane now to get past the block for the former being too political and that'll now be allowed
disappointing if true

Apparently they’ve kept the song and melody just changed the lyrics completely, it’s coming out one day before the deadline so I’m hoping it’s still rejected for being political but I assume they’ve submitted it and it’s probably ok now and that’s why they’ve announced a release as obviously the old songs were rejected before being released D:

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 4th March 2024, 08:27 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

They’ve been asked to change the lyrics again, I pray this continues until the deadline and they can’t enter. This is getting silly JUST BAN THEM FOR BLOODY GENOCIDE

+Quote this post
152chris
post 4th March 2024, 08:38 PM
Post #18
Group icon
down with jakewild
User: 10,105

godddd even if they don’t enter at this point it’s hard to justify not boycotting anyway. a real f***ing letdown.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 5th March 2024, 09:34 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

This is going to be a disaster and potentially damaging for the contest in the long term.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 6th March 2024, 04:23 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

Looks like the rewrite is going to be allowed according to Israeli media :/ They’ve said they have reworked it into a song about someone “coming out of a personal crisis”. Obviously final say is the EBU but I would be really shocked if they said no at this point, KAN are maybe doing the “it will definitely be allowed” so they can play the victim if EBU say no but I don’t think they will at this point, which is worrying for the contest and it will certainly harm this edition, bring the whole thing into disrepute and affect the future of Eurovision.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 07:22 PM