BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jade's EOY ● 2023, 100-1 complete! full list: page 5
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
jimwatts
post 4th January 2024, 11:51 PM
Post #21
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

Hi Jade, loads of good stuff so far! 'Repetitioner' probably my pick of them which I discovered from your chart - thank you for that! - the guitar is certainly reminiscent of 80s indie (House Of Love were the first band I thought of) and that solo is wonderful. 'Now And Then' was also a big hit for me and made a glorious conclusion to The Beatles' canon after all those decades in the vaults. Of the Lana songs, 'The Grants' I'm a big fan of with the lyrical theme of family and swooping chorus, 'Peppers' not quite so much but it's a fun swerve. Several others so far came close to making my chart and although 'Fly To You' was the breakthrough one for me from Caroline, 'Butterfly Net' wasn't far off.

p.s. I wondered if 'Dusk' might sneak in, and I make it on 147 points from a 05-03-03-06 run excluding this week, wouldn't that put it at #100?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 5th January 2024, 12:08 AM
Post #22
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Jan 4 2024, 11:51 PM) *
Hi Jade, loads of good stuff so far! 'Repetitioner' probably my pick of them which I discovered from your chart - thank you for that! - the guitar is certainly reminiscent of 80s indie (House Of Love were the first band I thought of) and that solo is wonderful. 'Now And Then' was also a big hit for me and made a glorious conclusion to The Beatles' canon after all those decades in the vaults. Of the Lana songs, 'The Grants' I'm a big fan of with the lyrical theme of family and swooping chorus, 'Peppers' not quite so much but it's a fun swerve. Several others so far came close to making my chart and although 'Fly To You' was the breakthrough one for me from Caroline, 'Butterfly Net' wasn't far off.

p.s. I wondered if 'Dusk' might sneak in, and I make it on 147 points from a 05-03-03-06 run excluding this week, wouldn't that put it at #100?

Hi Jim,

Happy to have introduced you to the brilliant 'Repetitioner' wub.gif I think I remember you pointing out House Of Love before in the PopMaster thread, need to re-familiarise myself with 'Shine On'. Pleased to see further love for 'Now And Then' in here <3 I've just done the Beatles rate and sadly didn't have room for it but just testament to how glorious their discography is on the whole. Interesting that the back-to-back posts from Ansel and you have the opposite Lana opinions laugh.gif love hearing everyone's thoughts. 'Fly To You' is fab from Caroline too of course!

Oh bloody hell you're right DeadBanana.gif I was trying to be so careful but there was a lot of work to do from scratch so bound to mess something up somewhere. Looks like I had it 10 points out, oops, may need to make a sneaky edit tomorrow or something.

thank you for commenting x

+Quote this post
Brer
post 5th January 2024, 12:16 AM
Post #23
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Only 4 songs I'd not heard yet from this section - 'Arla Fearn' was easily my favourite of those and immediately up with my favourites from the whole list so far wub.gif have to stan the Burial-esque late night grimey vibe (similar to my fave songs from James Blake's latest album). Also loved 'Peppers', I remember thinking when I saw the features for Lana's album that a Tommy Genesis collab could either be a hot mess or iconic, definitely more the latter thankfully *.* (a bit of a shame it was just a sample rather than a new collab but I didn't know the original Tommy song anyway tbf). Loving the production throughout especially with the western esque switch on the back end. Snow Strippers delivering another solid short banger there, it's not quite as great for me as their BJSC song but that was a high bar since it was one of my 18s, I will say I like the video just as much though, their videos despite being obviously low budget just have something of an X factor to them that makes them so fun to watch. '103' was the last one I'd not already heard and it's decent but not a huge standout from one listen, the songs at positions ending in 2 being a bit cursed for me so far it seems ph34r.gif

Faves from the ones I did already know are The Smile (I loved their debut album and this one is up there with the highlights from that as well, especially in the second half, what an epic *.*) and Radost Moja (which is also in my top 3 of your BJSC entries of the year - actually probably my fave tbh even though it didn't quite get my 18 - and you already guessed what the third one is magic.gif at least this one did a bit better than Odd Nosdam and TÉTRICA although still deserved top 10). The other 4 are all good tunes too, Depeche Mode still on top form so many decades into their career, I didn't know the Villager track was so inspired by Overmono but it certainly makes sense after listening to it again, I remember not being too keen on the 1tbsp songs from Electronic Track of the Week but I did like the ones that made your chart a lot more with this one being quite the groover (I wish I could find what language the vocals are in though, that's been bugging me and I can't find an answer online, I think it must be either Russian/Ukrainian or Portuguese? thinking.gif -is just a made up language-) and I think I've still been a fan of literally everything I've heard from yunè pinku with this remix being no exception!

(also yes I did hear all of ROSALÍA's other releases of 2023 already at least! which there were not enough of tbh, hopefully a more prolific 2024 coming for her)

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 5th January 2024, 12:20 AM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

Vandal Moon to slay please with both 'Satellite' and 'Heroine Dancer' cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 5th January 2024, 10:49 AM
Post #25
Group icon

Right, I have now swapped out Paramore for Chelsea Wolfe in the 100-91 post following my maths fail and written some additional words, but kept the writing for 'Figure 8' as a bonus #101 part so it didn't go completely to waste laugh.gif hopefully the rest of this will be smooth sailing now.

QUOTE(Brer @ Jan 5 2024, 12:16 AM) *
Only 4 songs I'd not heard yet from this section - 'Arla Fearn' was easily my favourite of those and immediately up with my favourites from the whole list so far wub.gif have to stan the Burial-esque late night grimey vibe (similar to my fave songs from James Blake's latest album). Also loved 'Peppers', I remember thinking when I saw the features for Lana's album that a Tommy Genesis collab could either be a hot mess or iconic, definitely more the latter thankfully *.* (a bit of a shame it was just a sample rather than a new collab but I didn't know the original Tommy song anyway tbf). Loving the production throughout especially with the western esque switch on the back end. Snow Strippers delivering another solid short banger there, it's not quite as great for me as their BJSC song but that was a high bar since it was one of my 18s, I will say I like the video just as much though, their videos despite being obviously low budget just have something of an X factor to them that makes them so fun to watch. '103' was the last one I'd not already heard and it's decent but not a huge standout from one listen, the songs at positions ending in 2 being a bit cursed for me so far it seems ph34r.gif

Faves from the ones I did already know are The Smile (I loved their debut album and this one is up there with the highlights from that as well, especially in the second half, what an epic *.*) and Radost Moja (which is also in my top 3 of your BJSC entries of the year - actually probably my fave tbh even though it didn't quite get my 18 - and you already guessed what the third one is magic.gif at least this one did a bit better than Odd Nosdam and TÉTRICA although still deserved top 10). The other 4 are all good tunes too, Depeche Mode still on top form so many decades into their career, I didn't know the Villager track was so inspired by Overmono but it certainly makes sense after listening to it again, I remember not being too keen on the 1tbsp songs from Electronic Track of the Week but I did like the ones that made your chart a lot more with this one being quite the groover (I wish I could find what language the vocals are in though, that's been bugging me and I can't find an answer online, I think it must be either Russian/Ukrainian or Portuguese? thinking.gif -is just a made up language-) and I think I've still been a fan of literally everything I've heard from yunè pinku with this remix being no exception!

(also yes I did hear all of ROSALÍA's other releases of 2023 already at least! which there were not enough of tbh, hopefully a more prolific 2024 coming for her)

Ah I'm so pleased that you really enjoyed 'Arla Fearn' *.* that may not be the only Overmono album track to feature so I eagerly anticipate further thoughts on them. As for James Blake... potentially more on him later, too. tongue.gif also happy to hear that you could get into 'Peppers'! The original Tommy song was brand new to me as well. I forgot that you gave the Snow Strippers BJSC winner a gold medal, that is indeed a high bar! I marginally prefer 'Just A Hint', which is just so obviously up my street, but both are fantastic. Their videos are indeed very DIY but certainly have a charm to then. Aww okay, poor brave The Kills tongue.gif just had a look at what the next song ending in a 2 position is and I will only be accepting kind words for this one teresa.gif kink.gif

Oh yes I remember you appreciating the first era from The Smile, glad 'Bending Hectic' has impressed you too! Radost Moja is a fabulous choice of favourite Jadakissnia 2023 entry tbh. I love it to bits, it was probably hampered a bit by not being available on Spotify in terms of spamming potential but I do have the MP3 ripped into my BJSC entries playlist now at least. A top 10 position would've been amazing, I guess you like to reiterate that the glass ceiling for witch house entries tends to be low top 10 - #15 and this did achieve a place in that ballpark I guess laugh.gif I'm glad I stuck with 1tbsp as well after not initially voting for their songs in ETOTW, forced to stan "groover" as a descriptor also. Oh I'm not sure what the lyrics outside of the "wanna give you all my love, give you the best of me" part are either, hopefully that mystery is solved one day. Agreed that yunè pinku cannot seem to put a foot wrong so far *.*

thank you for another in depth comment! I really appreciate it and all of the responses in general <3

QUOTE(Addy! @ Jan 5 2024, 12:20 AM) *
Vandal Moon to slay please with both 'Satellite' and 'Heroine Dancer' cheer.gif

They had a really good year in my 2022 EOY, let's see if that is the case for this year too ohmy.gif

thanks for popping in, Addy!! heart.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 5th January 2024, 03:46 PM
Post #26
Group icon

TOP 100 SONGS: 80-71

80. Julien Bracht - Counting Days | 176 points (peak: #3)
79. Overmono - Is U | 177 points
78. Clark - Vardo | 178 points (peak: #13)
77. DJ Koze - Wespennest (feat. Sophia Kennedy) | 178 points (peak: #7)
76. Aphex Twin - in a room7 F760 | 180 points
75. Heartworms - 24 Hours | 182 points
74. Kesha - Eat The Acid | 183 points
73. Geo22 - Alchemy | 184 points
72. Joanie - Kerosene | 189 points
71. Doja Cat - Demons | 191 points (peak: #10)

I was introduced to the talents of Berlin-based producer Julien Bracht when Chez entered the gorgeous 'Nocturne' to an edition of Club Bizarre that I hosted last year. That was Chill Out themed but I've subsequently discovered the stompers that he can produce as well. 'Counting Days' is a techno banger that is right at home on the HATE YouTube channel. The energy is full-throttle with the pounding synths and heavy kick drums. Lyrics such as "I don't want to go back to the feeling of being hurt" add an emotive, eerie layer. The "I count my blessings every day" chorus line is also a total earworm. 'Counting Days' remains on YouTube but has bizarrely been taken down from streaming services and replaced with a 2:19 version called 'Count My Blessings', hmm. Overmono swiftly return with a second appearance in the countdown! The duo put out 'Is U' in the lead up to the release of their debut album and continued to raise my hype levels in the process. This track samples 'Gladly' by Tirzah, an underground electronic artist who is currently a part of my weekly top 40 with the song 'F22'. Overmono take this reference point and chop it up into catchy yet emotional sections - the title for instance stems from the longing line "all I want is you". Just like 'Arla Fearn', which placed at #89 in the countdown, I also sense some Burial-esque crunches in the production alongside an absolutely killer bassline once again. Overmono may enjoy Doberman themed artwork but canine inspiration doesn't stop there, as Clark put out two records this year - named Sus Dog and Cave Dog. The former album was a very positive introduction after discovering the song 'Town Crank' and wanting to hear more. The latter companion album is home to 'Vardo', which has peaked at #13 in my chart but experienced a very healthy run so far. This track puts me in a similar headspace to 'Bending Hectic' earlier in the countdown with the rather helpless sounding "falling off the edge" lyric and Clark's similar vocal style to Thom Yorke in general. 'Vardo' also has a satisfying build-up with the charging synths gradually becoming more intense over time. I am impressed with how prolific he has been this year and will definitely continue to keep tabs on his work. DJ Koze first came to my attention in the BuzzJack Song Contest when RabbitFurCoat's nation Utopia unleashed 'Pick Up' by him. I completely fell in love with this song and awarded it the full 18 points, even declaring it as my favourite entry of its respective year at the time. I haven't been too hot on keeping up with his releases but 'Wespennest' did come to my attention and is also pretty irresistible. This is a German-language electronic song with a title that translates to "wasp's nest". If you aren't fluent in German, like myself, then there's still a feel for this theme with actual buzzing noises towards the end. 'Wespennest' incorporates firm but upbeat synth grooves and drum machines. Sophia Kennedy delivers a really standout and dark energy to the song with her vocal contributions. This is a very electronic heavy section that even includes a pioneer in the legendary Aphex Twin. He brought out a new EP called Blackbox Life Recorder 21f / in a room7 F760 which impressively registered a spot in the official U.K. top 100 singles chart. 'in a room7 F760' is absolutely my highlight from the project! We have typical Aphex Twin discordance that just somehow pulls together magically. This song boasts frantic beats, cowbells and a general feel that would slot right into some kind of dystopian video game. It is satisfying to witness him still putting out material that feels this high quality.

Heartworms aka Jojo Orme has very quickly become a firm favourite for me ever since I discovered and sent 'Consistent Dedication' to a Nuggets song contest on the forum. '24 Hours' is part of a four-track EP that also included the aforementioned entry. Heartworms delivers her usual doom-laden spoken word style and this time discusses the struggles of teenage growth, which is illustrated in the video with the school setting. Her imaginative lyrics, such as the childhood innocence of "believing teeth became money" and the more amusing "Radiohead playing radio whack" make me hang on to every word. I adore the satisfying pay-off at the end from the intense guitars that have built up. I also appreciate the dark, electronic influences that are apparent throughout. Kesha was back in 2023 with her latest album Gag Order. This was preceded by the release of two songs together, 'Eat The Acid' and 'Fine Line'. I was really taken aback by how impressed I was by 'Eat The Acid' in particular. I wasn't expecting her to go down the route of darkwave minimalism balladry but she did just that to excellent effect. The song is about advice to "not take LSD" by her mum although some lyrics e.g. "everything you saw just can't be unseen" could be related back to other trauma. The accompanying visualiser is so dark, raw and uncomfortable, especially when it can be connected to the very public ordeal where she has been silenced by powerful individuals, just as the claustrophobic imagery shows. What a slam dunk. Geo22 are an electronic duo who came into my life this year. Kathaldazia won the BuzzJack Song Contest with their track 'Magic' and I enjoyed it enough to award 11 points. I then discovered 'Alchemy' and fell in love with this song even more. It was later sent to an edition of Club Bizarre, the anonymous dance contest on the forum, by Nate aka Y'all Starlight and somehow only finished in 18th place. Robbed! 'Alchemy' has a darker feel to it than their BJSC winner, with the mysterious looping sound of choral chanting throughout and thumping techno beats. Apparently it has been dubbed as "knightcore" on TikTok so make of that what you will. 'Kerosene' by Joanie is the first #1 hit in my chart to drop out! This was another of my entries from the BuzzJack Song Contest last year. YouTube recommended the video to me and I was instantly hooked on her dark synth-pop sound and commanding presence. I soon found out that Jessica Winter, who is still to come with a song of her own, was behind the glittering production. It all comes together in a drama-filled ("I can feel my heart burning"), moody but inviting Goldfrapp kind of style. I was pretty disappointed when this finished outside of the top 20 in the contest but it did receive a few top scores which always feels special. Doja Cat released brand new album Scarlet last year following the juggernaut Planet Her era. This album didn't quite scale the same commercial heights but did produce some interesting experimentation. 'Demons' is a departure from her pop-leaning moments and instead centres more on her rap side. In the song she addresses criticisms of her being "demonic" or "selling her soul" head on. She does this in her own jokey style, particularly in the second verse when her flow switches up. I absolutely love the distorted production and sinister string loop that accompanies these lyrics and the video is truly a work of art. These visuals pay homage to horror films such as Poltergeist and The Shining - it's genuinely pretty terrifying viewing.

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 5th January 2024, 04:32 PM
Post #27
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

hi.gif

Argeed on the Burial comparisons for Overmono, especially with 'Arla Fearne'. My chart rarely experiences "album bombs" but it did with this one: 'Arla Fearne', 'Sugarushhh' and 'Calon' all made an impact as album tracks. Really interesting to hear Villager's 'Never Gonna Be' was partially inspired by them as well! I adore that track. Such an overused stock sample, but he really worked it and took it in so many fun directions. Also had no idea 'Is U' samples Tirzah. Look at me being educated like this *.* I actually gave her latest album a listen recently after loving 'No Limit' and 'F22' from 6Music - and it's quite good!

Bre's description of 'Best of Me' is on-point funky.gif It wouldn't sound out of place at a Sunday Funday DJ set at my favorite mountain bar here in Cape Town. I've came back to 'Just a Hint' quite a lot recently - it's Snow Strippers' 2nd biggest hit on my chart now. I prefer it over Iglooghost's 'Collision Data' which I voted for instead during their faceoff in the ETOTW poll. That synth melody is so infectious.

I also noticed that 'Counting Days' (the very first ETOTW winner #neverforget) was replaced with an inferior version and title on streaming services naomi.png How bizarre! Really enjoying 'Vardo' at the moment too, it re-entered my chart just last week.

'in a room7 F760' is a masterclass in how you do an electronic instrumental and 'Alchemy' was a banger fit for a rave in a castle. I would have given it higher points in Club Bizarre, had I not played it about 50 times before it was entered laugh.gif 'Eat the Acid' was a return to form + a very welcome swerve from a teen icon of mine heart.gif

Loving the write-ups Jade and whew this taste, I can't cope wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 5th January 2024, 05:55 PM
Post #28
Group icon

QUOTE(k👠th @ Jan 5 2024, 04:32 PM) *
hi.gif

Argeed on the Burial comparisons for Overmono, especially with 'Arla Fearne'. My chart rarely experiences "album bombs" but it did with this one: 'Arla Fearne', 'Sugarushhh' and 'Calon' all made an impact as album tracks. Really interesting to hear Villager's 'Never Gonna Be' was partially inspired by them as well! I adore that track. Such an overused stock sample, but he really worked it and took it in so many fun directions. Also had no idea 'Is U' samples Tirzah. Look at me being educated like this *.* I actually gave her latest album a listen recently after loving 'No Limit' and 'F22' from 6Music - and it's quite good!

Bre's description of 'Best of Me' is on-point funky.gif It wouldn't sound out of place at a Sunday Funday DJ set at my favorite mountain bar here in Cape Town. I've came back to 'Just a Hint' quite a lot recently - it's Snow Strippers' 2nd biggest hit on my chart now. I prefer it over Iglooghost's 'Collision Data' which I voted for instead during their faceoff in the ETOTW poll. That synth melody is so infectious.

I also noticed that 'Counting Days' (the very first ETOTW winner #neverforget) was replaced with an inferior version and title on streaming services naomi.png How bizarre! Really enjoying 'Vardo' at the moment too, it re-entered my chart just last week.

'in a room7 F760' is a masterclass in how you do an electronic instrumental and 'Alchemy' was a banger fit for a rave in a castle. I would have given it higher points in Club Bizarre, had I not played it about 50 times before it was entered laugh.gif 'Eat the Acid' was a return to form + a very welcome swerve from a teen icon of mine heart.gif

Loving the write-ups Jade and whew this taste, I can't cope wub.gif

Hello again, Kath hi.gif

Yessss there's this certain crunch sound embedded into Burial's work that feels present with some Overmono stuff, top tier reference point tbh <3 nice that they achieved an album bomb for you as well, it really was one of the best of the year heart.gif one of those other two tracks you mentioned may still be to come... ohmy.gif haha, glad to have provided some educational info *.*

Groover the new groovy biscuits I fear. Glad that you've been returning to 'Just a Hint' quite a bit <3 it was my most listened-to song in the month of December so does seem to have quite an addictive quality for me. Omg @ that, there is a song I voted for in ETOTW over another and it didn't make the cut in my countdown yet the one I snubbed is quite high up, oops laugh.gif

IKR what a mess!! Is it the TikTokification of it or something with more of an obvious title and shorter run-time? Who knows, glad the longer one is still on YouTube at least. Happy you're enjoying 'Vardo' too *.*

I'm actually listening to 'Alchemy' right now and "banger fit for a rave in a castle" fits it like a glove tbh cheeseblock.png haha yes I always find it a bit of a dilemma when I am really familiar with something that has been entered and did prioritise discoveries in that instance, but it did get a bronze at least. Omg yes the Animal era is so nostalgic <3 but yeah 'Eat The Acid' is easily the best thing I've heard from her during adulthood.

Ahhhhhh thanks so much, I'm happy you're enjoying the words and choices *.* dreading going back to work next week and having less time to work on this but will do my best laugh.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 5th January 2024, 09:03 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Eat The Acid is such an interesting song - I can't say I expected the join themes of discovering God and being warned not to take acid/LSD come into the same song, and I can't say I expected it to sound like that, but it certainly made an impression on me - one of those songs that I can pretty much recite completely even if I've only heard it a couple of times.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 5th January 2024, 09:34 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

Here to share in the Eat The Acid love too! So unexpected but I love how brooding and raw it sounds, along with the whole of its parent album.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 5th January 2024, 10:11 PM
Post #31
Group icon

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 5 2024, 09:03 PM) *
Eat The Acid is such an interesting song - I can't say I expected the join themes of discovering God and being warned not to take acid/LSD come into the same song, and I can't say I expected it to sound like that, but it certainly made an impression on me - one of those songs that I can pretty much recite completely even if I've only heard it a couple of times.

QUOTE(Ansel @ Jan 5 2024, 09:34 PM) *
Here to share in the Eat The Acid love too! So unexpected but I love how brooding and raw it sounds, along with the whole of its parent album.

Pleased to hear that you guys really like 'Eat The Acid' as well, it's so striking. heart.gif

thank you both x

+Quote this post
Brer
post 6th January 2024, 03:06 PM
Post #32
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Only 3 songs I hadn't already heard from this section and I really liked all 3 of them (actually think I'd put them all in my top 5 of this batch!) - I actually didn't realise that Clark dropped an entire second album which shows how little I paid attention near the end of the year oops but I've been enjoying all the songs I've heard from him in your chart and 'Vardo' may be my favourite yet, has a really strong entrancing vibe, it's reminding me a lot of something else but can't quite place it (possibly Amtrac and/or Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs?) Heartworms is also a really promising artist, she gives me shades of Wolf Alice and Let's Eat Grandma but still having quite a unique more post-punk leaning overall vibe of her own, and I think '24 Hours' is also my favourite song I've heard to date from her, hoping 2024 will see her deliver a full album. And then I remember thinking the clip of 'Eat The Acid' sounded really good in your recaps so yay for finally getting around to hearing that in full, it is a really heavy song that maybe wouldn't be one I'd want to casually put on repeat (and I especially don't think I ever need to see that visualiser again, I know that the discomfort is the point but still x) but it's a powerful piece of art and wild to think this is a lead single from the same artist who led off previous albums with songs like 'TiK ToK' and 'Die Young', not to diminish her earlier poppier work (not all of it is to my taste but she did have some bangers) but her range is really impressive. Have seen she's guesting on Lil Nas X's comeback single next week which seems like quite an interesting prospect!

My faves of the ones I already knew are 'Demons' and 'in a room7 F760', I know the former is quite divisive but I think she nailed the 2edgy4me aesthetic absolutely perfectly on it, a cathartic banger and really enjoyed the Baby Keem esque flow in the second verse. Also definitely one of the best music videos of the year *.* Agreed with you on the latter being the best track on the Aphex Twin EP, an amazing moment to see him in the singles chart again even if just by a quirk of the tracklist limit rules. Also loving the double serving of techno stompers in this section from Julien Bracht (I'm going to trust your judgement and not bother seeking out the 'new' version of this one x) and Geo22 (still don't understand how this one did so much worse than their BJSC song when it's much better imo sorry Kath) and although I had heard 'Is U' before I had kind of forgotten it so was good to revisit, I wouldn't say this one is quite Overmono's best work unlike their song in the previous section for me but they don't really ever miss, I do think the vocal sample is used really nicely on this one (and I didn't know / forgot that was a Tirzah sample!) - I know there's definitely at least one more Overmono track to come that I like even more than 'Arla Fearn' though! 'Wespennest' also nicely fits the mould of entrancing ambient vibes (that slotting between 'Vardo' and 'in a room7 F760' was not helping me stay awake last night listening to these songs after a long day as much as I do like them haha).

Hate to say it but the song in the 2 position is my least favourite for a third section in a row so the curse is real kink.gif but that is more telling of the quality of the rest on this occasion as I do like 'Kerosene' a lot more than 'Butterfly Net' and '103', it was just one of my lower rated Jadakissnia BJSC entries of the year (2 points), a good pop song but not one that really stuck with me in the same way a lot of your entries do. Jessica Winter would have better to come in the year magic.gif

(also aw at 'Figure 8' being shunted out of the top 100 kink.gif but 'Dusk' is a brilliant intense tune too - I am sure you must have heard 'Be All Things' from her before as it was a decently big hit in my chart so I do want to recommend you revisit that one and see if it sticks with you more this time thinking.gif (edit: actually you don't have a scrobble for it on last.fm so maybe you missed that one in which case I highly recommend it as a first listen x))

+Quote this post
Jade
post 6th January 2024, 04:29 PM
Post #33
Group icon

QUOTE(Brer @ Jan 6 2024, 03:06 PM) *
Only 3 songs I hadn't already heard from this section and I really liked all 3 of them (actually think I'd put them all in my top 5 of this batch!) - I actually didn't realise that Clark dropped an entire second album which shows how little I paid attention near the end of the year oops but I've been enjoying all the songs I've heard from him in your chart and 'Vardo' may be my favourite yet, has a really strong entrancing vibe, it's reminding me a lot of something else but can't quite place it (possibly Amtrac and/or Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs?) Heartworms is also a really promising artist, she gives me shades of Wolf Alice and Let's Eat Grandma but still having quite a unique more post-punk leaning overall vibe of her own, and I think '24 Hours' is also my favourite song I've heard to date from her, hoping 2024 will see her deliver a full album. And then I remember thinking the clip of 'Eat The Acid' sounded really good in your recaps so yay for finally getting around to hearing that in full, it is a really heavy song that maybe wouldn't be one I'd want to casually put on repeat (and I especially don't think I ever need to see that visualiser again, I know that the discomfort is the point but still x) but it's a powerful piece of art and wild to think this is a lead single from the same artist who led off previous albums with songs like 'TiK ToK' and 'Die Young', not to diminish her earlier poppier work (not all of it is to my taste but she did have some bangers) but her range is really impressive. Have seen she's guesting on Lil Nas X's comeback single next week which seems like quite an interesting prospect!

My faves of the ones I already knew are 'Demons' and 'in a room7 F760', I know the former is quite divisive but I think she nailed the 2edgy4me aesthetic absolutely perfectly on it, a cathartic banger and really enjoyed the Baby Keem esque flow in the second verse. Also definitely one of the best music videos of the year *.* Agreed with you on the latter being the best track on the Aphex Twin EP, an amazing moment to see him in the singles chart again even if just by a quirk of the tracklist limit rules. Also loving the double serving of techno stompers in this section from Julien Bracht (I'm going to trust your judgement and not bother seeking out the 'new' version of this one x) and Geo22 (still don't understand how this one did so much worse than their BJSC song when it's much better imo sorry Kath) and although I had heard 'Is U' before I had kind of forgotten it so was good to revisit, I wouldn't say this one is quite Overmono's best work unlike their song in the previous section for me but they don't really ever miss, I do think the vocal sample is used really nicely on this one (and I didn't know / forgot that was a Tirzah sample!) - I know there's definitely at least one more Overmono track to come that I like even more than 'Arla Fearn' though! 'Wespennest' also nicely fits the mould of entrancing ambient vibes (that slotting between 'Vardo' and 'in a room7 F760' was not helping me stay awake last night listening to these songs after a long day as much as I do like them haha).

Hate to say it but the song in the 2 position is my least favourite for a third section in a row so the curse is real kink.gif but that is more telling of the quality of the rest on this occasion as I do like 'Kerosene' a lot more than 'Butterfly Net' and '103', it was just one of my lower rated Jadakissnia BJSC entries of the year (2 points), a good pop song but not one that really stuck with me in the same way a lot of your entries do. Jessica Winter would have better to come in the year magic.gif

(also aw at 'Figure 8' being shunted out of the top 100 kink.gif but 'Dusk' is a brilliant intense tune too - I am sure you must have heard 'Be All Things' from her before as it was a decently big hit in my chart so I do want to recommend you revisit that one and see if it sticks with you more this time thinking.gif (edit: actually you don't have a scrobble for it on last.fm so maybe you missed that one in which case I highly recommend it as a first listen x))

Yeah Clark has been the Röyksopp of the year I guess in terms of prolific electronic acts laugh.gif happy to hear that you enjoyed the sound of 'Vardo', will have to listen out for potential soundalikes. Heartworms really is awesome, I am bad at making music threads but did feel compelled to create one for her EP and I'm glad she does seem to have a handful of fans on here. '24 Hours' is a good pick of favourite, I'm pretty sure I've enjoyed everything she's released so far - an album definitely can't come soon enough. Kesha's musical journey has been fascinating to witness for sure. I'm glad 'Eat The Acid' delivered in full for you, definitely seems to be the most popular pick of that section on here <3 intrigued for the Lil Nas collab and hope it goes top 10 so I can tick off one of my 2024 chart predictions kink.gif

Yeah 'Demons' seems to be very marmite on the forum but I did know you were a fan at least *.* she is one of the most reliable mainstream artists for high quality music videos tbh, absolutely killing it on that front. Aphex Twin's EP making the top 100 was a fun chart geek birthday present tongue.gif Oh the Julien Bracht re-upload is still the exact same song but shorter, better than nothing but why laugh.gif apologies for not helping you stay awake with 'Wespennest', especially if you checked out the full 8 minute version kink.gif

Aw damn, I remembered that you gave 'Kerosene' points so hoped that was enough to escape the wrath of the 2 curse this time but apparently not tongue.gif

Oops, I'm too much of a perfectionist and couldn't clear my head until it was fixed :') at least Paramore legitimately made my list last year haha. Will make a mental note to check out that Chelsea song!

thank you for commenting Brer *.*

+Quote this post
Jade
post 6th January 2024, 04:29 PM
Post #34
Group icon

TOP 100 SONGS: 70-61

70. Overmono - Sugarushhh | 191 points (peak: #7)
69. Luke Black - Samo mi se spava | 192 points
68. Heartworms - May I Comply | 193 points
67. Fat Dog - King of the Slugs | 196 points (peak: #5)
66. Yves Tumor - God Is a Circle | 196 points (peak: #1)
65. Tara Lily - Double Time | 199 points
64. The Chemical Brothers - Skipping Like A Stone (feat. Beck) | 201 points (peak: #7)
63. Shygirl & Cosha - ​​thicc | 201 points (peak: #2)
62. Romy - The Sea | 202 points
61. Everything Everything - The Mad Stone | 203 points

Overmono register yet another appearance in the countdown as album track 'Sugarushhh' begins the top 70. The lyrical content of this song, which is sampled from 'No Pair Without 2' by Marie Dahlstrøm, injects a melancholic feel with words such as "hold me when I'm hurtin' deep inside". But the rush of love is still in the air, as you might expect from the title, with moments like "know that I wanna be with you". The sentiment and downbeat execution really tugs on my heartstrings and I also love the slow burn acid bass production throughout. It feels like a bit of a tease as it never quite develops into a drop but I think it fits the mood of this album track just right. Luke Black is the first participant from the latest edition of the Eurovision Song Contest to appear in the countdown. I was immediately drawn to the synth-heavy industrial production of 'Samo mi se spava' which sounded unlike anything else in the contest. I also felt that Luke's vocal choices brought another unique and interesting layer to the package. The song title translates to "I just want to sleep" as he wishes to escape the misery of life. But he concludes that we cannot close our eyes in the face of evil and must fight against it, much like in a video game which he brings to life on stage in post-apocalyptic fashion. Luke represented Serbia in the contest and unfortunately couldn't quite replicate the success of fellow quirky, fabulous entrant Konstrakta the year before, instead settling for 24th place in the final. Heartworms is swiftly back in the countdown with her distinctive post-punk meets gothic style. 'May I Comply' was born out of frustration as she was going through a break-up and also putting her dad's needs over her own while living with him. The result of this pent-up anger is a thrilling vocal delivery mixed with the unnerving back-drop of dark guitars and electronic grooves. Her lyrics have a bite to them as ever, with the most memorable line probably being: "maybe it's a different world-view, where Churchill was a woman and Hitler was a Jew". I already feel like I have a strong sense of her musical identity despite only having a fairly small discography to work with so far. Heartworms really lets loose in the video, directed with a monochrome vision once more by Gilbert Trejo who was also behind the visuals for '24 Hours'. 'May I Comply' was a recent standalone release following her A Comforting Notion EP. Here's hoping for an album in the not too distant future! Fat Dog are a band who have built up a positive live reception after opening for groups such as Viagra Boys and Yard Act. They released debut single 'King of the Slugs' off the back of this goodwill which I discovered via 6Music. I was blown away by the sheer chaos that unfolds during the seven minute runtime. Their post-punk meets rave style is as in-your-face as that mix sounds although there is a short cool-down period in 'King of the Slugs' to really enhance the effect of the final portion. I love the eccentric lyrics and visual direction too, well the parts of the video I can make out when not being attacked by strobes anyway, whereby the frontman is quite literally getting crowned. I cannot wait to hear more of what they have to offer as this debut suggests incredible potential. 'God Is A Circle' by Yves Tumor is the next personal chart #1 single to drop out in the countdown. However, its position was hampered a little because the opening weeks of its chart-run occurred in late 2022, so didn't count for this. I adore the intense soundscape of this single, from the fierce bassline to the looped panting that is used throughout. 'God Is A Circle' is about the struggles of a toxic relationship. Yves paints a claustrophobic picture where they feel trapped socially and unable to let their guard down. The music video is incredible, it sees them rise from the grave and deal with some shocking behaviour, e.g inspections from fascists. Their sound is incredibly exciting - this was the song that got me hooked and I'm so glad that the album lived up to expectations, I would highly recommend it.

'Double Time' by Tara Lily is another wonderful 6Music discovery that I made in 2023. She is trained in jazz and has also explored R&B music but this release shows an ability to make electronic music work. This breezy yet mysterious D&B offering, with glimpses of piano here and there, is about how fast-paced life is and facing up to your mortality. She defiantly sings "I'm not afraid to die" while exploring the streets of Mumbai and Goa on a motorbike in the beautiful music video. The Chemical Brothers are celebrating 35 years since formation this year and all these decades on they've certainly still got it. For That Beautiful Feeling is their tenth studio album and bagged them another top 10 album chart position. 'Skipping Like a Stone' was the fourth single to be taken from the record and features Grammy Award winning musician Beck on vocals. I find this song to be a complete joy, from the comforting lyrics (especially the ending point of "I see the sun now") to the classic festival-ready Chemical Brothers rave sound in the production. I also enjoy the presence of Beck on the song and feel he contributes a slight psychedelic edge. The music video gives a literal feel for the stone in the title as we watch it on a cosmic journey. My appreciation of rocks is sky high at the moment between the exposure of this and Everything Everywhere All At Once. I do listen to an awful lot of dark music but this is not always the case and Shygirl with a little help from Cosha is very much here to bring the fun! Shy has been unlucky in my chart so far, stalling at #2 a grand total of three times with 'Cleo', 'Come For Me' and now 'thicc', but this one has a great chart-run so far nevertheless and is still within my top 10. 'thicc' is a euphoric club banger that feels straight out of the 90s with its colourful music video. Both ladies are praising their relevant love interests with Shygirl doing so in her typically cheeky fashion and Cosha opting for the blissful "you make me feel alive" line on the chorus. Further electronic talents Sega Bodega and recent BJSC entrants Karma Kid also worked with them on production duties. I am definitely turning into a bit of a stan with all of these fantastic releases and a memorable Glastonbury set. I am also a big fan of The xx and was very excited for the release of band member Romy's solo album Mid Air this year. It houses a lot of good stuff but 'The Sea' is my favourite. This dreamy single tells of finding and losing love by the ocean through a sapphic lens. Romy has also stated that she was inspired by a trip to Ibiza for bandmate Oliver's 30th birthday when she wrote it. 'The Sea' has a gorgeous bassline which was co-produced alongside man of the moment Fred Again.. and Stuart Price. Moving forward, let's hope the latest information about The xx releasing new music actually comes to fruition this time. Everything Everything knocked it out of the park with their two releases in 2023 and this has resulted in Mountainhead becoming my most anticipated album of the year at the moment. 'The Mad Stone' is the second barmy but brilliant pre-album single. It appears to discuss the rot that comes with late stage capitalism plus our doom-scrolling world of social media, but done in their quirky, creative way from the perspective of a salesman. My ultimate highlights of the song have to be the quickfire falsetto delivery of the post-chorus plus the choral-style vocals that accompany the chorus itself. They unsurprisingly still have one more song to come!

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 6th January 2024, 04:36 PM
Post #35
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

QUOTE(Brer @ Jan 6 2024, 05:06 PM) *
and Geo22 (still don't understand how this one did so much worse than their BJSC song when it's much better imo sorry Kath)

kink.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 6th January 2024, 06:20 PM
Post #36
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Ooh The Sea is really great, I narrowly preferred some of the other singles but that was definitely a highlight of what I didn't already know. heart.gif

Had not heard the Julien Brecht one, but it's sounding really good. He was a bit of a late revelation late last year (or year before last now :x). I did very much appreciate the horror film references in the Doja Cat video, even if I did prefer Paint the Town Red & Attention from her singles this year.

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 6th January 2024, 07:03 PM
Post #37
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

Yay for the 'Dusk' addition, I hadn't expected you to squeeze in a commentary too! I'm delighted you were enamoured with the song and discovery - I thought you may have known Chelsea's previous BJSC song 'Feral Love' but it looks like it was just before your time - hope to find a few more gems in 2024!

From the last 20 songs, I'll add to the 'Eat The Acid' love - I hadn't been waiting on a Kesha comeback or heard any hype about it when it popped up midway through my NMF listen that week and I thought hey this sounds interesting, with that hypnotic looped refrain line and lyrics suggesting some near-death experience that perhaps mirrors her own public ordeal. 'Kerosene' is a fine synth pop song which got my second BJSC bronze, 'Is U' has been a bit of a grower and my favourite I've heard so far from Overmono, same with 'Vardo' for Clark, and I enjoyed all the pre-album Chemical Brothers singles but 'Skipping Like A Stone' has gone on to become something of a Buzzjack multi-chart hit which is pretty cool!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 6th January 2024, 07:48 PM
Post #38
Group icon

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jan 6 2024, 06:20 PM) *
Ooh The Sea is really great, I narrowly preferred some of the other singles but that was definitely a highlight of what I didn't already know. heart.gif

Had not heard the Julien Brecht one, but it's sounding really good. He was a bit of a late revelation late last year (or year before last now :x). I did very much appreciate the horror film references in the Doja Cat video, even if I did prefer Paint the Town Red & Attention from her singles this year.

I think I charted almost all of the singles from Romy's album so fair laugh.gif

Glad that you made a good discovery out of 'Counting Days' wub.gif returning the favour of you introducing me and others to 'Nocturne'. I would also recommend: 'Do You Love Me?', 'Coast' and 'Walking Alone' from this year if you haven't heard them! I did think the 'Demons' video would be up your street *.* 'Attention' may or may not still be on the way... ohmy.gif

thank you for commenting, Chez <3

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Jan 6 2024, 07:03 PM) *
Yay for the 'Dusk' addition, I hadn't expected you to squeeze in a commentary too! I'm delighted you were enamoured with the song and discovery - I thought you may have known Chelsea's previous BJSC song 'Feral Love' but it looks like it was just before your time - hope to find a few more gems in 2024!

From the last 20 songs, I'll add to the 'Eat The Acid' love - I hadn't been waiting on a Kesha comeback or heard any hype about it when it popped up midway through my NMF listen that week and I thought hey this sounds interesting, with that hypnotic looped refrain line and lyrics suggesting some near-death experience that perhaps mirrors her own public ordeal. 'Kerosene' is a fine synth pop song which got my second BJSC bronze, 'Is U' has been a bit of a grower and my favourite I've heard so far from Overmono, same with 'Vardo' for Clark, and I enjoyed all the pre-album Chemical Brothers singles but 'Skipping Like A Stone' has gone on to become something of a Buzzjack multi-chart hit which is pretty cool!

laugh.gif I thought it only fair for poor Chelsea! I will note down 'Feral Love' as another to check out on top of the one Bré suggested.

I hadn't listened to a Kesha album since Warrior in 2013 but did see the artwork for Gag Order on social media and was quite intrigued for the direction off the back of that. However, I definitely wasn't prepared to love 'Eat The Acid' as much as I did! God bless NMF sometimes. Oh yes I remember you being a big supporter of 'Kerosene' heart.gif glad you're into both of those electronic tunes too! I would not have expected 'Skipping Like A Stone' to be a multi-chart favourite but I'm here for it <3

thank you for commenting, Jim *.*

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 6th January 2024, 10:19 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

Favourites from that last section for me are definitely Samo mi se spava and The Sea. Serbia are killing it recently with Konstrakta and then Luke Black, more of that this year please! And the chilled dance sound of The Sea is gorgeous, such a perfect late summer song.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 6th January 2024, 11:10 PM
Post #40
Group icon

QUOTE(Ansel @ Jan 6 2024, 10:19 PM) *
Favourites from that last section for me are definitely Samo mi se spava and The Sea. Serbia are killing it recently with Konstrakta and then Luke Black, more of that this year please! And the chilled dance sound of The Sea is gorgeous, such a perfect late summer song.

I totally agree! I didn't get the Konstrakta entry at first but then it grew on me massively and I was stanning by the final laugh.gif will never forget a Sims version of it that made its way to my TikTok FYP :') glad you're a fan of 'Samo mi se spava' + 'The Sea' too <3

thank you for commenting *.* x

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 07:18 AM