BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ɅVICII RɅTE 2017 | RESULTS, completed | pg 4
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post 19th August 2017, 01:36 PM
Post #1
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Thanks to the 17 of you who rated, we have 18 rates in total including myself and from the average scores of the rates the title of Buzzjack's favourite Avicii song will be decided.

Before we start here is a reminder of Avicii's latest single, 'Without You', taken from the first Avīci EP.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
danG
post 19th August 2017, 01:54 PM
Post #2
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

23. "Blessed" (as Tom Hangs featuring Shermanology)

Artwork:

Rate average: 5.53
Best score: 7/10 (danG, Spadz, mdh, gooddelta, Pete)
Worst score: 2/10 (Cucumberella)

Release date: 23/05/2011
UK Chart peak: #164
Album: non-album single

Video:

Biography:
"Blessed" is a song by Swedish house producer Avicii (credited under the name Tom Hangs) featuring vocals from Shermanology. Like many of Avicii's early tracks this had been leaked on the internet between late 2010 to April 2011. The track was officially released on May 23, 2011 through Spinnin' Records. It was further released on March 6, 2012 in the United States, and then 3 months later in the United Kingdom on June 21, 2012. The song was included on Dutch DJ Tiësto's Club Life: Volume One Las Vegas compilation. It was also featured on the Stolichnaya vodka TV advert aired during the UEFA Euro 2012 football tournament.

Commentary:
In last place we have 'Blessed', one of Avicii's lesser known singles which may explain its low appearance. It's not one of my all-time Avicii faves though which is why I only gave it a 7/10 myself, but it is not my least favourite of this list. For this song Avicii used the alias Tom Hangs, which he only ever used for two singles - this one as well as 'Insomnia', a 2010 collaboration with Starkillers, Pimp Rockers and Marco Machiavelli. Confusingly the single mix of 'Dancing In My Head' (credited to Eric Turner vs. Avicii) is known as the 'Tom Hangs Remix' but after that he dropped that alias to release exclusively as Avicii. It is a progressive house banger in the style of many of Avicii's other early work but it lacks the spark of many of his other singles, so I can't really be disappointed with it being last.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 19th August 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #3
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

I didn't rate in this cos I only love a few of his songs but i hope the nights/the days do really well! Both have held up fantastically for me and are definitely my two favourite Avicii songs nowadays <3

+Quote this post
danG
post 19th August 2017, 02:08 PM
Post #4
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

22. "Pure Grinding"

Artwork:

Rate average: 5.62
Best score: 11/10 (Pete)
Worst score: 2/10 (awardinary)

Release date: 28/08/2015
UK Chart peak: DNC
Album: Stories

Video:

Biography:
"Pure Grinding" is a 2015 song by Avicii released on Universal Music. The track appeared in his album Stories and on his two-track EP Pure Grinding / For a Better Day. It was written by Tim Bergling (Avicii), Kristoffer Fogelmark, Albin Nedler and Earl Johnson. It was previously leaked on the internet with the title "Nothing to Lose". It is also part of the official soundtrack for the 2015 reboot of Need for Speed.

Commentary:
This was released alongside "For A Better Day" but unlike that single this did absolutely nothing in the charts, likely due to it getting no commercial push but also as it does sound more suited as an album track than a single. It is quite different for Avicii with it being a mix of funktronica and trap (thanks Wiki) rather than his usual progressive house or folk/country inspired dance-pop but it just goes to show how versatile Avicii is as an artist. It is Pete's favourite Avicii song and the first song with a score of 11/10 to leave as other than that it got mostly low scores, as well as a few 7s and 8s. Personally I gave it a 7/10 but that's just a relative score to the rest of Avicii's amazing material, I still really enjoy it but he has much better songs yet to come.

+Quote this post
danG
post 19th August 2017, 02:20 PM
Post #5
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

21. "Dancing In My Head" (with Eric Turner)

Artwork:

Rate average: 5.69
Best score: 9.5/10 (Spadz)
Worst score: 2/10 (Alpha)

Release date: 04/11/2012
UK Chart peak: #188

Video:

Biography:
"Dancing in My Head" is a song by American recording artist Eric Turner. Originally co-written and produced by frequent production partner Eshraque "iSHi" Mughal, the song featured Swedish DJ Avicii (while also using his alias Tom Hangs). His two remixes are known as the "Avicii's Been Cursed" Mix (the club mix version) and the Tom Hangs Remix (the radio edit version). Both remixes were released as individual downloadable tracks. A music video was made for the Tom Hangs remix (the intro uses a portion of the Avicii's Been Cursed Mix), and lyric videos were also made for both remixes. All of the videos were published to YouTube through Eric Turner's VEVO channel, including a behind-the-scenes video for the music video. The song has charted at #188 in the UK.

Commentary:
"Dancing In My Head" is one of my least favourite Avicii singles, personally it never did all that much for me and hence it only got a 6/10. The production seems a tad watered down in comparison to other progressive house songs of his at the time. It also never received a proper UK push, and thus managed to somewhat pass me by at the time as this was before I turned from Avicii fan to Avicii superfan; although it did manage to scrape the top 200 nonetheless, which would explain it appearing this low in the rate results as lack of familiarity never helps in any rate.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 19th August 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

QUOTE(danG @ Aug 19 2017, 03:08 PM) *
It is Pete's favourite Avicii song

LIES.

My favourite Avicii song by far is 'Trouble', the UK just doesn't have enough taste for that.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 19th August 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

Blessed was never really a favourite of mine so glad that's kept everything else a place higher! Pure Grinding really sticks out as a song you wouldn't think Avicii produced but it's alright. Only loss so far is Dancing In My Head, not that I'm surprised particularly because of the vocals. Which I enjoy but not as much as the melody. I remember watching a vid of him making the song in the studio *.*

+Quote this post
mdh
post 19th August 2017, 05:02 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776

On a slightly different note, when was Without You confirmed as the single from Avici?

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 19th August 2017, 05:04 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Pure Grinding was decent switch up from him, much superior to For A Better Day which was just an inferior rehash of his older stuff.

Dancing In My Head is really good imo! Good vocal & beat.

+Quote this post
danG
post 20th August 2017, 03:06 PM
Post #10
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

20. "Superlove" (with Lenny Kravitz)

Artwork:

Rate average: 5.71
Best score: 9/10 (jafetsigfinns, awardinary)
Worst score: 2/10 (lewistgreen, cqmerqn, Cucumberella)

Release date: 29/05/2012
UK Chart peak: #49

Video:

Biography:
"Superlove" is a song by Lenny Kravitz from his 2011 album Black and White America which was remixed by Avicii. The track was released on May 29, 2012 as a Digital download in the United Kingdom and has charted in UK, Belgium, Hungary and the Netherlands. Lenny has released a music video for this song to YouTube on August 27.

Commentary:
This is also one of my least favourite Avicii singles so it's good to get this out of the way already. It takes a while to really get going and the drop is only half as good as Avicii is capable of. I gave it a 6/10 but quite a few rated it even lower, including 3 people giving it a 2/10 though some rated it highly too, it clearly is quite a divisive track.

+Quote this post
danG
post 20th August 2017, 03:15 PM
Post #11
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

19. "For A Better Day"

Artwork:

Rate average: 5.91
Best score: 10/10 (lewistgreen), 9.5/10 (Dexton), 9/10 (Pete, Mack)
Worst score: -1/10 (Tawdry Hepburn)

Release date: 28/08/2015
UK Chart peak: #68

Video:

Biography:
"For a Better Day" is a 2015 single by Swedish EDM producer Avicii featuring uncredited vocals by American singer Alex Ebert released on Universal Music. The track appears on his album Stories and on his two-track EP Pure Grinding / For a Better Day. It was written by Tim Bergling (Avicii) and Alex Ebert. Like Avicii's other latest songs, it was leaked on the internet in late 2014 and was simply titled "A Better Day". A music video was produced for the song, which was filmed in Hungary.

Commentary:
I don't think this one gets as much credit as it deserves, though I don't think it was the right choice of single to follow "Waiting For Love" as it is a significant quality drop from that. I say that, but I still give this a solid 8/10. Quite a few rated it even higher but it also suffered from a -1 from Tawdry Hepburn. The temptation to warn you for that is real sleep.gif but you gave 11 to Levels so I'll forgive you. The song continues his style of merging folk with EDM and he does a great job at it, although he really could have got a better vocalist for this. Sadly it was a huge flop in the UK and basically ended the 'Stories' era, but fortunately not his career as he is now back with two UK top 50 hits!

+Quote this post
danG
post 20th August 2017, 03:27 PM
Post #12
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

=17. "X You"

Artwork:

Rate average: 6.28
Best score: 9.5/10 (Spadz), 9/10 (Dobbo)
Worst score: 3/10 (Cucumberella, Alpha)

Release date: 26/02/2013
UK Chart peak: #47

Video:

Biography:
"X You" is a progressive house song produced by Swedish house producer and DJ, Avicii. The track was released as a digital download in Sweden on February 26, 2013. It is the final production for Avicii's successful project "Avicii X You". The song features sequences from Kian Sang (melody), Naxsy (bassline), Martin Kupilas (beat and rhythm), ВАНЯ ХАКСИ (break), Jonathan Madray, Mateusz Kolata, TheW and Christian Westphalen (effects). The song is written in the key of G Minor, at a tempo of 128 bpm.

Commentary:
Avicii's final non-album single prior to "Wake Me Up" (unless you count Eurovision tie-in single "We Write The Story") was "X You", a project where fans got to write Avicii's next single and Avicii made the song using the best contributions, an interesting and unique concept. It does sound a lot like a standard Avicii instrumental, but fortunately a standard Avicii instrumental is amazing and so is this. I gave it an 8/10 myself.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 20th August 2017, 03:30 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585

ohmy.gif For A Better Day deserves so much more!

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 20th August 2017, 03:37 PM
Post #14
Group icon

FABD and Superlove aren't losses either, both vocal wise and the former's production just sounded like a poor recreation of You Make Me/Addicted To You.

X You is my biggest loss so far sob.gif Not only is it a banging instrumental but I love how it was all put together heart.gif I'mma just assume it finished this low because it was an instrumental angel.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post 20th August 2017, 03:45 PM
Post #15
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

=17. "The Days"

Artwork:

Rate average: 6.28
Best score: 10/10 (Pete), 9/10 (mdh)
Worst score: 2/10 (cqmerqn)

Release date: 03/10/2014
UK Chart peak: #82

Video:

Biography:
"The Days" is a song by Swedish DJ and music producer Avicii, featuring vocals by English recording artist Robbie Williams. The song was written by Robbie Williams, Salem Al Fakir, Avicii and Vincent Pontare, and was produced by Avicii, Fakir and Pontare. The song was played for the first time in Boston, featuring uncredited vocals by Fakir. The song was released worldwide on 3 October 2014. It was released alongside "The Nights" in The Days / Nights. A planned release in the United Kingdom on 23 November 2014 was cancelled.

Commentary:
Released as an interlude single between 'True' and 'Stories', it unfortunately did not see an official UK release though it did enter the top 100 based on its good streaming. You'd think the UK would take to it more with it having Robbie Williams on it but clearly not. I think it's one of the most overlooked songs of his career anyway, it's really good and would have fit in well with 'Stories'. It has such a good climax too which makes up for the lack of a drop for its first 3 minutes. It received an 8/10 from me, but his 8s really are 9s, his 9s 10s and his 10s 11s. He's just that good.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 20th August 2017, 03:49 PM
Post #16
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

No real losses for me yet ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 20th August 2017, 03:49 PM
Post #17
Group icon

It's another great track but it's a few miles away from its counterpart. Maybe didn't do as well as it could have been because Robbie fans weren't really into a dance song with him in and Avicii fans weren't into having someone like Robbie in thinking.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 20th August 2017, 04:06 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

All the good ones are going! sad.gif Hopefully Broken Arrows can be a bit higher

+Quote this post
danG
post 20th August 2017, 04:08 PM
Post #19
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

16. "Broken Arrows"

Artwork:

Rate average: 6.47
Best score: 10/10 (mdh, Pete), 9/10 (jafetsigfinns)
Worst score: 3/10 (BridgeCow, Alpha, awardinary)

Release date: 29/09/2015
UK Chart peak: #178

Video:

Biography:
"Broken Arrows" is a 2015 single by Avicii featuring uncredited vocals from Zac Brown of American country music group Zac Brown Band, released on Universal Music. The track appears on his album Stories.

Commentary:
This is another very underrated Avicii single, the only post-album single from "Stories" (though released as a promotional single beforehand) it is one I think could have been a reasonably sized hit if it was released in place of "For A Better Day" but we will never really know. In any case it only just managed to make the UK top 200 and didn't receive a whole lot of airplay or streaming success either. It is another example of how Avicii can mix genres very well together, mashing country and EDM seamlessly together. It received an 8/10 from me.

The top 15 will be revealed at a later date. For now here it is in alphabetical order.

xx Addicted To You
xx Collide (with Leona Lewis)
xx Fade Into Darkness
xx Hey Brother
xx I Could Be The One (with Nicky Romero)
xx Lay Me Down
xx Levels
xx My Feelings For You (with Sebastian Drums)
xx Rapture (Avicii New Generation Remix) (with Nadia Ali)
xx Seek Bromance (as Tim Berg)
xx Silhouettes
xx The Nights
xx Waiting For Love
xx Wake Me Up
xx You Make Me

Which of these will just miss the top 10? Which are the big contenders? What would you like to see do well?

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 20th August 2017, 04:16 PM
Post #20
Group icon

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Aug 20 2017, 05:06 PM) *
All the good ones are going! sad.gif Hopefully Broken Arrows can be a bit higher
:')

Expected this to be out soon anyway. It's pretty decent although sounding like a Wake Me Up part 2 without being a poor rehash of it.

Lay Me Down and MFFY will probably be out next or miss the top 10. Rapture, Seek Bromance and FID are my predictions to miss the top 10 but I'm not confident they wil or not!

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 11:12 AM