BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Geri Halliwell - 'Schizophonic', 1999 • 1st Album / 24th Anniversary
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post 11th May 2020, 12:37 AM
Post #21
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Yesterday (10th May) marked 21 years since the release of Geri's debut single 'Look at Me' ohmy.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 11th May 2020, 01:59 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

Aww the same month I left high school.

Doesnt time fly.

1999 was such a fantastic year for pop music if you look back at it.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 11th May 2020, 06:50 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(schizo_spice @ May 11 2020, 02:59 PM) *
Aww the same month I left high school.

Doesnt time fly.

1999 was such a fantastic year for pop music if you look back at it.

I was just finishing my first year of high school laugh.gif , thanks you made me feel really young wub.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 11th May 2020, 06:57 PM
Post #24
Group icon

It was my last year of primary school, Year 6!

Let's go back in time and tell EMI to not be so dumb and to release a proper CD2 nono.gif

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 7th June 2020, 11:16 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

Happy Birthday to this album. I just revisited it this morning as saw it popping up online. I found a little new appreciation to it, whereas before I never really cared for it that much.

Some thoughts:

1. Look At Me. I get it, it was a clever first release. Very clever indeed. Her voice still spoils it, I think. Her trying to hit *some* notes in the breakdown is just................. And I am not really interested in the message on this track, still. It's too self-centered to be interesting, personally. A good marketing/PR song and video, for sure. Quality wise? It is cleverly written and with good production values.

2. Lift Me Up This song can choke. It's terrible and it will always be. I couldnt finish it, it's so grating... From the cringe lyrics, to her voice (terrible) and the video.

3. Walk Away Best song on the album. I do think she would do this song much better nowadays since her voice has improved so much. It's well written, nicely sang and produced.

4. Mi Chico Latino Better than I remembered. It's a bop, although a bit of a forgetable one. It's a bit too 'brits abroad to Magaluff' vibe imo lol

5. Goodnight Kiss Second best song in the album. Classy and nicely done. Wonder what she would sound like with it now...

6.Bag It Up Trash. Dated. It's politics are also so stuck in the 90s, with such a simplistic view on feminism. BUt overall, the song is bad. The video is fun though.

7. Sometime Still a great song. I always enjoyed it (and for a long time, it was my favourite Geri song). Personally, it feels very honest. Yes, it's a bit saccarine but it somehow survives that better than some of her more 'positive outlook with cliché lyrics' tracks...

8. Let Me Love You. I had forgotten about this. It's fun.

9. Someone's Watching Over Me. GREAT TRACK! Had also forgotten about it, but it's gorgeous. Wonder what she would sound with it nowadays.

10. You're in A Bubble Blargh.. Sometimes I appreciate this song. Today wasn't one of those days lol

Overall: An ok album, certainly an interesting album for a new solo artist. However, it just sort of exists nowadays hey? It seemed such a MOMENT at the time but it always fell flat to me. It's got some excellent moments though and I find myself enjoying it more with each listen over the years.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 7th June 2020, 10:51 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I love Someone's watching over me too, it's a really beautiful song and you can tell it comes from her heart.

Have to admit I have a real soft spot for Lift me up. I think part of it comes from her using sign language to promote it, and to a deaf boy it meant A LOT! I really struggled feeling like I was different and less than other people as a child because I never saw representations of deaf people anywhere, so I assumed we weren't worth being represented, as a much younger child I actually had this belief that I was if the only deaf person out there (I grew up in a hearing family) and I was so so so shocked when I saw another deaf person in the supermarket, I got really excited and started shouting to my mum "look look that person is like me!" It actually really upsets me even now when I think back to those negative feelings I had about myself (and then I found out I was gay and omg I have still to this day have not seen a deaf gay person in a book or on TV etc etc etc lol)... I struggled a lot as a youth lol. Anyway Geri using sign language to promote the song really meant so much to me and I've had a special relationship with that song for that reason.

Another weird fact the song came on the radio (many years later) as I was about to leave the house to pick up my A-Level results from school to find out if I'd got into Uni. Now I'm not one of those people who believes in signs and all that, but I remember thinking whoa this song which meant to much to me has come on at the moment I'm about to leave, and a song which I have not heard on the radio since it was released... I got my results (surpassed them even) and got into Uni. Yeah a lot on that song laugh.gif wub.gif

This post has been edited by Spiceboy: 7th June 2020, 10:54 PM

+Quote this post
Piers
post 8th June 2020, 02:36 AM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Jun 7 2020, 05:51 PM) *
I love Someone's watching over me too, it's a really beautiful song and you can tell it comes from her heart.

Have to admit I have a real soft spot for Lift me up. I think part of it comes from her using sign language to promote it, and to a deaf boy it meant A LOT! I really struggled feeling like I was different and less than other people as a child because I never saw representations of deaf people anywhere, so I assumed we weren't worth being represented, as a much younger child I actually had this belief that I was if the only deaf person out there (I grew up in a hearing family) and I was so so so shocked when I saw another deaf person in the supermarket, I got really excited and started shouting to my mum "look look that person is like me!" It actually really upsets me even now when I think back to those negative feelings I had about myself (and then I found out I was gay and omg I have still to this day have not seen a deaf gay person in a book or on TV etc etc etc lol)... I struggled a lot as a youth lol. Anyway Geri using sign language to promote the song really meant so much to me and I've had a special relationship with that song for that reason.

Another weird fact the song came on the radio (many years later) as I was about to leave the house to pick up my A-Level results from school to find out if I'd got into Uni. Now I'm not one of those people who believes in signs and all that, but I remember thinking whoa this song which meant to much to me has come on at the moment I'm about to leave, and a song which I have not heard on the radio since it was released... I got my results (surpassed them even) and got into Uni. Yeah a lot on that song laugh.gif wub.gif

Thanks for sharing this story. Enjoyed reading that.

So, is Geri's signing pretty good? Several Spanish speakers have told me her Spanish is a bit...interesting. Lol. So. I always wondered how her signing was. The performances always looked lovely, but I never knew if her motions were more for choreography sake or if she was genuinely communicating well. I was always glad she incorporated some signing into her Lift Me Up performances. I have to assume that signing on pop chart shows is pretty historically rare...and if Geri could get some young people interested in learning sign, it had to be a good thing.

Side note. Does anyone else remember the person signing in one of the corners of the screen during the Spiceworld tour? That was a rather welcome addition, wasn't it? Because the Spiceworld tour was one of my very first concerts, I thought an interpreter was probably there for all concerts. But then...I don't believe I've seen an interpreter on screen for another concert ever since.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 8th June 2020, 08:53 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Piers @ Jun 8 2020, 03:36 AM) *
Thanks for sharing this story. Enjoyed reading that.

So, is Geri's signing pretty good? Several Spanish speakers have told me her Spanish is a bit...interesting. Lol. So. I always wondered how her signing was. The performances always looked lovely, but I never knew if her motions were more for choreography sake or if she was genuinely communicating well. I was always glad she incorporated some signing into her Lift Me Up performances. I have to assume that signing on pop chart shows is pretty historically rare...and if Geri could get some young people interested in learning sign, it had to be a good thing.

Side note. Does anyone else remember the person signing in one of the corners of the screen during the Spiceworld tour? That was a rather welcome addition, wasn't it? Because the Spiceworld tour was one of my very first concerts, I thought an interpreter was probably there for all concerts. But then...I don't believe I've seen an interpreter on screen for another concert ever since.

It's not bad, there is obviously a bit of a choreographed flair to it but it's accurate sign language. To be honest her signing performance is better than most of her dancing performances laugh.gif

I remember that sign language interpreter on the sides of the screens in that little circle wub.gif he was there for my Don Valley Stadium date. That concert and also Pride 2019 are the only two events I have been to that have had interpreters at them, and sadly are the only two live concerts I've been able to understand what the acts were saying when they talk to the audience. Normally I don't have a clue.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 8th June 2020, 09:07 AM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Jun 7 2020, 11:51 PM) *

Lovely story! heart.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 8th June 2020, 10:47 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Thank you Piers and Mr X you're both very kind wub.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 8th June 2020, 02:26 PM
Post #31
Group icon

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Jun 7 2020, 11:51 PM) *

wub.gif Thanks for sharing, it's so nice that her signing was something that understandably meant a lot to you.

I wonder who had the idea of incorporating sign languages into the performance, Geri herself maybe? Did she ever talk about it in interviews? I'm glad she did it. It's nice that her signing was accurate too!

There really needs to be more representation in the media. I can think of two deaf and gay characters: Ben in EastEnders, but unfortunately away from that, his personality and actions are mostly atrocious lol and he's difficult to like. Another I can think of is Sam in The Society on Netflix, who is actually played by a deaf actor.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 8th June 2020, 07:54 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Jay MATM NBTSA @ Jun 8 2020, 03:26 PM) *
wub.gif Thanks for sharing, it's so nice that her signing was something that understandably meant a lot to you.

I wonder who had the idea of incorporating sign languages into the performance, Geri herself maybe? Did she ever talk about it in interviews? I'm glad she did it. It's nice that her signing was accurate too!

There really needs to be more representation in the media. I can think of two deaf and gay characters: Ben in EastEnders, but unfortunately away from that, his personality and actions are mostly atrocious lol and he's difficult to like. Another I can think of is Sam in The Society on Netflix, who is actually played by a deaf actor.

heart.gif Awww people are so nice in this forum, I was getting all emotional about it writing and then felt a bit embarrassed people might think I was being ridiculous lol, so it's nice to hear such lovely comments. wub.gif

Oh wow I did not know about The Society, it's been on my list to watch too, definitely the next thing I'm watching now wub.gif I know right about Ben lol, what a hideous representation for us. I've never really watched Eastenders (being a Northerner I watch Corrie laugh.gif ) but I watched the 'silent' episode and I told everyone I know to watch it because it's so well done in representing how we hear. I come a family of rock music lover and I personally can't stand heavy rock music it's just noise to me, on watching that episode so many of my family members were like "omg I get it, how on earth do you make sense of the music!?" It's why I also don't like overtly loud dance music or heavy bass I can't make sense of the voices (Judas by Lady Gaga is one that comes to mind - just a load of noise to me).

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post 8th June 2020, 08:44 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421

Lift Me Up and Mi Chico Latino are both my fav singles from her, I go back to them often. Lift Me Up is just such a mood, its like a warm breeze at sunset, her raspy voice just suits the song perfectly. Mi Chico Latino is hands down her best single, the latin flavored pop really suited her, and its just incredibly catchy and summery, brings back incredible memories.

Cant really remember the rest of the album besides the other singles - I liked Look At Me but dont love it. I love the horns though, they just make a grand statement.
Bag It Up however I can't stand, so generic. Just feel like there were a billion better dance-pop tracks around at the time, feels like anyone could've come up with it. Its a bit cringy too.

This post has been edited by Euphorique: 8th June 2020, 08:49 PM

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th June 2020, 09:15 PM
Post #34
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

I heard this for the first time tonight! ohmy.gif I was amazed at how much I enjoyed it, purely because I had no expectations - I really didn't know what to expect from a Geri album. It's actually really polished, strong throughout, and the singles were picked perfectly. Those aside, my highlights were Walkaway, Sometime and Let Me Love You!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 8th June 2020, 09:29 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jun 8 2020, 10:15 PM) *
I heard this for the first time tonight! ohmy.gif I was amazed at how much I enjoyed it, purely because I had no expectations - I really didn't know what to expect from a Geri album. It's actually really polished, strong throughout, and the singles were picked perfectly. Those aside, my highlights were Walkaway, Sometime and Let Me Love You!

You're really making your way thorough the albums aren't you wub.gif Tbh I don't think Geri has a 'bad' album at all, there are elements on all that could be better but all are filled with catchy pop tracks. Just wait until you hear Free Me album though, it's easily the best after Northern Star wub.gif

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 8th June 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

Walk away she could probably really sell these days interms of her voice.

She was much better when not trying to be so trashy and just being a little more earnest.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th June 2020, 09:45 PM
Post #37
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Jun 8 2020, 10:29 PM) *
You're really making your way thorough the albums aren't you wub.gif Tbh I don't think Geri has a 'bad' album at all, there are elements on all that could be better but all are filled with catchy pop tracks. Just wait until you hear Free Me album though, it's easily the best after Northern Star wub.gif

I'm intrigued to hear the other two! Schizophonic absolutely has her best run of singles, all four are really great.

I've heard Free Me before! heart.gif Just... not in a VERY long time so I really do need a refresher heehee.gif

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 8th June 2020, 10:34 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jun 8 2020, 10:45 PM) *
I'm intrigued to hear the other two! Schizophonic absolutely has her best run of singles, all four are really great.

I've heard Free Me before! heart.gif Just... not in a VERY long time so I really do need a refresher heehee.gif

Free Me is classy, the best of them lot wub.gif I'm gonna go and listen to it now yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 27th January 2021, 11:31 AM
Post #39
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

Geri Halliwell - Schizophonic (1999)

My rate : S (Masterpiece)

Top 5 songs :
1. Goodnight Kiss
2. Lift Me Up
3. Look At Me
4. Let Me Love You
5. Sometime

It was the first album, which I bought and still love her 20 years after it. wub.gif

This post has been edited by Last Dreamer: 14th April 2021, 06:53 PM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 14th May 2021, 02:36 AM
Post #40
Group icon

22 years drama.gif