BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> My Everything: THE RATE - Results, completed!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post Sep 11 2019, 12:44 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
MY EVERYTHING: THE RATE - RESULTS

Coming soon! Thanks to everyone who spared the time to participate in this event for 'My Everything's fifth birthday. Whether you submitted a rate or not, feel free to follow us along for the ride. Let us know which songs you're rooting for and what your predictions are! Here is a reminder of the album track list...

01. Intro
02. Problem (feat. Iggy Azalea)
03. One Last Time
04. Why Try
05. Break Free (feat. Zedd)
06. Best Mistake (feat. Big Sean)
07. Be My Baby (feat. Cashmere Cat)
08. Break Your Heart Right Back (feat. Childish Gambino)
09. Love Me Harder (feat. The Weeknd)
10. Just a Little Bit of Your Heart
11. Hands on Me (feat. A$AP Ferg)
12. My Everything

13. Bang Bang (with Jessie J & Nicki Minaj)
14. Only 1
15. You Don't Know Me
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Sep 11 2019, 12:54 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
I’d predict

One Last Time to win

Why Try as the highest album track

Hands on Me or You Don’t Know Me to be the first track to exit.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post Sep 13 2019, 05:23 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454
So kicking off the results...!!

15. 'Intro' // 4.92
Best: Jonjo, LewisGT, JosephStyles (7) / Mistake: HouseofF (2), George.keh, ...ready for it, Wall, kye (3)

14. 'You Don't Know Me' // 5.19
Best: kye (10), LewisGT (8) / Mistake: George.keh (1), HouseofF (2)

So ironically so, Intro (originally entitled 'I Promise') is the first to go. The "lovely" but seemingly pointless intro track is cute, shows off some great Ari vocals and harmonies, but is definately nothing to write home about. It serves it's purpose, but I also feel an Intro track on this particular record doesn't feel necessary, especially since it preceeds 'Problem' on the track listing, the contrast is quite jarring. Score wise it hasn't faired well at all, collecting three best scores of 7, with the majority of particpants scoring it a mid to low average score.

Second from last is final track of the Deluxe Version of the album 'You Don't Know Me'. Ariana has stated it as one of her favourites from the album, but personally I can see why it hasn't resonated with many. I previously stated that I feel that it is partly due to it's odd and somewhat uncouth production. I would say that and it being probably the most forgetable track from the album has resulted in it receiving a final score of just over 5, which was very much helped by it receiving almost top marks from kye and still a quite generous 8 from LewisGT, but again most participants gave a mid to low score. Seems like we have a bit of a marmite track on our hands.

Suppose there's no real shock so far?

+Quote this post
coi
post Sep 13 2019, 05:27 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240
The intro is obviously nothing special as an individual track but it's still decent, You Don't Know Me should have finished below it but otherwise that's a fair bottom two.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Sep 13 2019, 05:42 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Yeah definitely a fair bottom two! 'Intro' is... nice enough but inessential and I agree that the transition to 'Problem' is quite jarring. Much like 'raindrops (an angel cried)' to 'blazed' on 'Sweetener' :') at least the 'Christmas & Chill' EP intro flowed better to the next song iirc. 'You Don't Know Me' is actually quite memorable to me, probably because the production is a bit overbearing in places as you said, but definitely one of the weaker links here too. WD BuzzJack.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Sep 13 2019, 10:03 PM
Post #6
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Intro starts the album well but of course it's not really essential in its own right! No big losses just yet.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Sep 14 2019, 04:36 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Alone and wounded

13. 'Only 1' // 6.07
Best: kye (9), LewisGT (8) / Mistake: George.keh (2), HausofF (3)

12. 'Hands on Me' // 6.23
Best: ...ready for it (9), Jonjo (8) / Mistake: George.keh (2), blacksquare (4)

'Only 1' is next to drop out at #13! This swiftly leaves 'Bang Bang' as the highest finishing bonus track of the rate. The song has some interesting moments in it, such as a vocal run in the chorus and the word-play of featuring "once", "twice" and "three times" throughout said chorus. It also incorporates a sample of Biz Markie's 'Male The Music With Your Mouth Biz'. However, I feel that on the whole it falls a bit flat in terms of standing out, so it's easy to see why it has got a bit lost on the album here. Ariana doesn't feel the same way though as she stated that it's in her top 5 songs of 'My Everything'! Interestingly, she never performed it live until 2018. A bonus track with a lot of shelf-life, even if BuzzJack doesn't quite agree! At #12 is the first collaboration to drop out - this is 'Hands on Me' with A$AP Ferg. Fun fact, this was not supposed to be the only song that Ferg featured on. He was originally pencilled in for 'Break Your Heart Right Back' too but they ended up preferring Childish Gambino's contributions. Still, no hard feelings as he ended up on there in some capacity and he is very complimentary of Ari! He previously said that she was "the next Mariah Carey" and that she possessed "the next big voice that's gonna pop". This song is a much more upbeat moment than 'Only 1', with fans describing it as 'a bop'. I can only presume it placed so low due to being overshadowed by stronger up-tempo moments. It's fun (a particular shoutout to the "and I made her hand rocky... ASAP" pun) but ultimately a bit throwaway.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Sep 14 2019, 04:39 PM
Post #8
Group icon
User: 13,007
No losses so far x

QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Sep 11 2019, 01:54 PM) *
Why Try as the highest album track

PLEASE.

Or highest track PERIOD?

wub.gif

+Quote this post
coi
post Sep 14 2019, 05:01 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
We've definitely got the bottom four correct here!

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post Sep 14 2019, 07:15 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293
I would have definitely put Only 1 over Hands On Me but the results have been pretty fair overall so far.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Sep 16 2019, 05:06 PM
Post #11
Group icon

11. 'Bang Bang' // 6.26
Best: Jonjo, ...ready for it, JosephStyles, Jordan Lee (9), kye (8) / Mistake: blacksquare (-1)

10. 'Be My Baby' // 6.62
Best: George.keh, Jonjo, LewisGT (8), Jade, Juliano, blacksquare, Kye (7) / Mistake: HausofF (4)

Monster collaboration Bang Bang gave Ariana a huge hat-trick of hits across 2014. Ari teamed up with Jessie J and Nicki Minaj for the lead single for Jessie's Sweet Talker album, but it was also included on My Everything as a deluxe bonus track. The song ended up being a huge hit, peaking at #1 in the UK (Ariana's second #1!) and #3 in the US, and remains one of Ariana's biggest hits, frequently being covered on shows such as The X Factor. Be My Baby saw another collaboration, this time with Cashmere Cat, who Ariana has teamed up with more than once since. Ariana claimed the bouncy R&B number should have been a single from the album! It got a pretty consistent set of scores compared to Bang Bang, with only a range of 4, while Bang Bang had a range of 10...! The -1 from blacksquare can't have helped much either, though Bang Bang remains a polarising song, for Ariana herself too.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Sep 16 2019, 05:10 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Alone and wounded
I think I've made my feelings on 'Bang Bang' clear enough by now kink.gif I'm at least glad that it gave her another UK #1. Oops at all of the bonus tracks missing the top 10! Not complaining though. I think 'Be My Baby' is my favourite to drop out so far! Although both of Ariana's other Cashmere Cat songs are superior.

Nothing that's dropped out so far has got higher than a 7 for me, so far so good ~

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Sep 16 2019, 08:50 PM
Post #13
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

9. 'Best Mistake' // 6.96
Best: LewisGT, coi, George.keh (9) / Mistake: Jordan Lee, kye (5)

8. 'Problem' // 7.15
Best: ...ready for it, LewisGT (11) / Mistake: George.keh (2)

Coming in at number 9 is the first of another two Big Sean collaborations (Problem being uncredited of course). This song sees the period where Ariana and Big Sean were romantically involved. The song is cute but I am kind of shocked to see it top 10. At 8, we have the lead single from the album - Problem featuring Iggy Azalea! The song has aged alright, however, I can see why Ariana is no longer a big fan of it. It is very bubblegum but feelgood. It was also the first Sales and Streaming number 1 in the UK! (Wow though, Big Sean really wanted a hit out of Ariana with all these collaborations lmao)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Sep 16 2019, 08:57 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Problem deserves better, still absolutely love it sad.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Sep 16 2019, 09:06 PM
Post #15
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Hands On Me is so under appreciated and I'm low-key surprised to see it missed top 10 here! sad.gif It kinda reminds me of something Cassie might've done.
Be My Baby is great too.

Best Mistake shouldn't have made the top 10. It's alright, but very bland.

+Quote this post
coi
post Sep 16 2019, 09:10 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Best Mistake and Problem robbed sad.gif

No complaints about the bottom six though.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post Sep 16 2019, 09:14 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293
Problem is far, far too low sad.gif

I don't think I've ever been obsessed with a song as much as I was with that at the time. 54 weeks in my personal chart (the next closest is One Last Time with 34 weeks) says it all.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Sep 16 2019, 09:20 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Alone and wounded
I was shocked to see 'Problem' finishing so low ohmy.gif I know it's not as much of a favourite on here now as it was back in the day but yikes! I definitely think it's aged but it's still fun and deserving of being at least a couple of places higher. As for #9, Ari really nails 'Best Mistake' live vocally but it's not that interesting as a song for me!

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Sep 16 2019, 11:06 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
Problem is honestly in my top 3 least favourite Ariana singles tbh.

Her diction is bad in the verses and the chorus is a total none event.

I did like it at the time but I was stunned that it become a huge #1 and everyone started loving Ariana when they slept on her debut album which was literally so so so much better!

Bang Bang deserved better tbh.

Break Free to leave soon pls.

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: Sep 16 2019, 11:09 PM

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post Sep 17 2019, 02:53 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454
Ooomph, also slightly shocked with Problems seemingly harsh low placement, but I get that it hasn't aged well and maybe has been overplayed by a lot of us... anyway!

7. 'My Everything' // 7.69
Best: HouseofF (10), JosephStyles (9) / Mistake: George.keh (4), blacksquare (6)

6. 'Why Try' // 8.03
Best: HouseofF (11), Juliano, Jordan Lee (10) / Mistake: blacksquare, Wall (6)

Next out...
Pretty darn respectable scores for the gorgeous 'Victoria Monét' penned title track 'My Everything' and final track from the standard version of the album. A strong album track, not much else to say about that one.

On to one of my personal all time favourite underrated gems (clearly not then.), I always call it the closest thing she's had to her 'Halo' moment. Narrowly missing the top 5, is 'Why Try'. The first track to get a rating of over 8.0 here on Buzzjack, I think it's clear as to why Ari and her team placed this one high up on the track listing. Scores are really picking up now, with it's lowest marks coming from 'blacksquare' and 'Wall', who even still gave it a respectably higher than middle mark; 6.0 laugh.gif , it's also the second and only album track to get the full 11 points so far.

That leave our top 5 as:
Break Free
Break Your Heart Right Back
Just A Little Bit of Your Heart
Love Me Harder
One Last Time

Thoughts and predictions?

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:52 AM