BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

34 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Throwback! Anniversaries of Spice Girls moments, 20 years ago: Victoria Beckham This Groove/Let Your Head Go
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Dec 3 2017, 11:48 PM
Post #61
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

10 years ago; 2nd December 2007 - the Spice Girls started their Return of the Spice Girls tour, in Vancouver!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fulvio84
post Dec 4 2017, 01:24 PM
Post #62
New Entry
Group: Members
Member No.: 39,660
   No Gallery Pics

wub.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Dec 10 2017, 05:32 PM
Post #63

16 years ago...
Monday 10th December 2001 - Emma Bunton - 'We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight'

11 years ago...
Monday 3rd December 2006 - Emma Bunton - 'Life in Mono'

A couple of Emma anniversaries!

Last week marked 11 years since the release of Emma's third and (to date) final studio album Life in Mono. It was released directly after her #3 peaking Children in Need single Downtown, but unfortunately Emma didn't scale the same heights in the albums chart - entering at a mere #65. sad.gif This made it the second lowest charting solo Spice Girls album, which still remains the case 11 years on - the only album to perform worse was Mel B's L.A. State of Mind, which peaked at a shockingly low #453!

#65 was a clearly disappointing result, particularly seeing as Emma was taking part in Strictly Come Dancing that year. Its sales aren't too bad though, relatively speaking! It sold 12,307 copies in its first week, 9,926 copies in week 2 (#75) and approx 12,000 copies in week 3 (#79). This certainly highlights how strong album sales in Christmas 2006 (Christmas week saw all of the Top 15 albums sell over 100k)! By June 2009, Life in Mono has amassed 50,725 sales.

We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight was the final single to be taken from Emma's debut album A Girl Like Me. In its original album version its a Latin-tinged summery bop, but it was given an overhaul for single release, transforming it into a more dance-pop offering. Sadly it proved to be a bit of a flop, entering the UK charts at #20 - at the time this made it the lowest charting Spice related release ever. ohmy.gif It went on to sell over 35,000 copies.

+Quote Post
sammy01
post Dec 11 2017, 02:19 PM
Post #64
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,988
   No Gallery Pics

I've always thought Emma gave up on music too soon. 50k of an album after a CIN cover and the most non radio friendly song released while she was pregnant. Mel C would give her left tit to flog 50k albums.

+Quote Post
Blond 2.0
post Dec 11 2017, 03:03 PM
Post #65
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,576
   No Gallery Pics

I love Life in Mono I know it's not everyone cup of tea but I've enjoyed so much too bad she gave up on music so soon another album like Free Me now would be Ace .

+Quote Post
sammy01
post Dec 11 2017, 04:04 PM
Post #66
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think it would be my thing but Emma doing a covers album now released in Nov with a couple of duets (robbie and Will Young say) could be a great seller. She could get that 50+ market coin. Her Heart connection plus her TV connections could really come in handy.

+Quote Post
tommie
post Dec 13 2017, 09:41 AM
Post #67
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Banned
Member No.: 8,073

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 11 2017, 03:19 PM) *
I've always thought Emma gave up on music too soon. 50k of an album after a CIN cover and the most non radio friendly song released while she was pregnant. Mel C would give her left tit to flog 50k albums.

I actually agree.

50k isn't bad considering it sold on the back of a cover version essentially. With that said, I don't really hear any "hits" on the album itself - there's no "Free Me" or "Maybe" or even "Crickets" on there. Not even Greg Kurstin / Cathy Dennis could give her a good single, so you can understand why they put their money on launching it with "Downtown"...

+Quote Post
sammy01
post Dec 13 2017, 10:45 PM
Post #68
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Take me to another town was surely crying out to be single number 2.

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Dec 14 2017, 12:37 AM
Post #69
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 13 2017, 11:45 PM) *
Take me to another town was surely crying out to be single number 2.

I agree. If they had gone with that song, Undressing You and All That You'll Be, she would have had a good run, I think!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Dec 15 2017, 05:21 PM
Post #70

A personal anniversary: today's date is 10 years since I saw the Spice Girls for the very first time (and last time) at London O2 Arena! What a dream come true that was wub.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 7 2018, 06:05 PM
Post #71

14 years ago...
Sunday 4th January 2004 - Victoria Beckham - 'This Groove' / 'Let Your Head Go'

14 years since Victoria's final ever single charted in the UK!

After leaving Virgin Records in 2002, Victoria went back to the drawing board for her proposed second album. She signed to the Telstar label and started to work on dance/pop flavoured material in early 2003. In the same year she was introduced to the producer Damon Dash, who guided her towards a more Hip-Hop flavoured sound. A song from each session was chosen for a Double A Side single release, possibly to test the waters and determine which sound was better received by the public - This Groove from the urban sessions, and Let Your Head Go from the pop sessions.

As always, there was pressure placed on Victoria to achieve a #1 single. Its release date of Monday 29th December 2003 was most likely purposefully chosen due to the fact that the week after Christmas was usually a low-selling week in the days of physicals. Unfortunately she still couldn't manage it, and entered at a respectable #3 on sales of 29,000 copies.

Unfortunately Telstar went bankrupt in 2004, and the media placed most of the blame on Victoria being an expensive signing for the label. Victoria lost interest in her solo music career that year, which meant that this single would ultimately be her final one. sad.gif

Sadly both songs remain unavailable to either download or stream, which means the single has stalled at a sales total of 69,000 copies, all of which are physicals! Neither music video is officially uploaded to YouTube either.

+Quote Post
Blond 2.0
post Jan 7 2018, 11:21 PM
Post #72
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,576
   No Gallery Pics

This Groove' / 'Let Your Head Go' Were really perfect along with the videos everything was on point I've enjoyed them so much I still do biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Eduardo
post Jan 7 2018, 11:35 PM
Post #73
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 5,804
   No Gallery Pics

God, this thread is making me depressed. wacko.gif
I just can't believe these releases are this old!

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 8 2018, 12:18 AM
Post #74
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Victoria needs to put that double A-side on Spotify pronto, 'Let Your Head Go' is just so good!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 8 2018, 11:29 AM
Post #75

QUOTE(Blond 2.0 @ Jan 7 2018, 11:21 PM) *
This Groove' / 'Let Your Head Go' Were really perfect along with the videos everything was on point I've enjoyed them so much I still do biggrin.gif

wub.gif I'd say that Let Your Head Go is my favourite song of hers, and the video is so funny! She was very self-aware of how she was perceived, and I love that she sent herself up like that. Such a shame that she wasn't able to keep going with that era and properly release a second album. sad.gif

QUOTE(Eduardo @ Jan 7 2018, 11:35 PM) *
God, this thread is making me depressed. wacko.gif
I just can't believe these releases are this old!

I'm feeling exactly the same. sob.gif

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 8 2018, 12:18 AM) *
Victoria needs to put that double A-side on Spotify pronto, 'Let Your Head Go' is just so good!

Shall we all tweet her and request this, I'm sure she'll listen! *_* ( laugh.gif ). It is a shame though, and I wonder who is ultimately responsible for its lack of availability? There's plenty of formerly Telstar signed artists who have their material from that time available!

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Jan 8 2018, 04:50 PM
Post #76
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217

Its a bloody shame Let Your Head Go isnt on Spotify cause its such a banger! One of my favorite solo spice releases,

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Jan 9 2018, 12:49 PM
Post #77
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

A shame that Let Your Head Go and This Groove aren't online to purchase/stream.

I feel like there is a distinct lack of online presence from releases that were overseen by Simon Fuller/19 Management at the time of their releases:

Victoria's LYHG/This Groove (not available anywhere)
Emma's Free Me album (not available on iTunes)
Spice Girls Greatest Hits (not available on Spotify)

A shame, cos they are probably the best releases from each artist...

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Jan 18 2018, 04:27 PM
Post #78
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

16 years ago...
Monday 17th September 2001

WHAAAAAAAAT WHAT WHAAAT!!

AND HOW MANY YEARS SINCE HER EXCELLENT, ESPECIALLY THIS GROOVE WHICH HAS MORE THAN OVERTAKEN LYHG, WHICH I LOOOVED AS A KID FAR MORE THAN THIS GROOVE WHICH I DIDN'T LIKE, DOUBLE A-SIDE?!

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Jan 18 2018, 04:29 PM
Post #79
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Jan 8 2018, 11:29 AM) *
wub.gif I'd say that Let Your Head Go is my favourite song of hers, and the video is so funny! She was very self-aware of how she was perceived, and I love that she sent herself up like that. Such a shame that she wasn't able to keep going with that era and properly release a second album. sad.gif
I'm feeling exactly the same. sob.gif
Shall we all tweet her and request this, I'm sure she'll listen! *_* ( laugh.gif ). It is a shame though, and I wonder who is ultimately responsible for its lack of availability? There's plenty of formerly Telstar signed artists who have their material from that time available!

What a label laugh.gif

I heard the album though on youtube, and it was pretty terrible. She should have released the Damian Dash one.

+Quote Post
tommie
post Jan 22 2018, 12:57 PM
Post #80
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Banned
Member No.: 8,073

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jan 9 2018, 01:49 PM) *
A shame that Let Your Head Go and This Groove aren't online to purchase/stream.

I feel like there is a distinct lack of online presence from releases that were overseen by Simon Fuller/19 Management at the time of their releases:

Victoria's LYHG/This Groove (not available anywhere)
Emma's Free Me album (not available on iTunes)
Spice Girls Greatest Hits (not available on Spotify)

A shame, cos they are probably the best releases from each artist...

I feel like some of those are hold back due to overshipping physical copies and them wanting to sell them out. Then they probably sort of forgot to chuck it up there.

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:53 PM