BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
18 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Suedehead's 60 birthday number ones, Completed!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post 9th August 2020, 10:24 PM
Post #81
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
'Saturday Night' is probably the biggest casualty for me so far blush.gif a euphoric song that never fails to get me hyped prior to a night out! I actually heard it live last year as part of a We Love The 90s concert *_*

...on the flip side, happy to see that abysmal 'Against All Odds' cover out, forever annoyed that it blocked Zombie Nation from the top sleep.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 10th August 2020, 06:27 PM
Post #82
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
At number 45 there is another song which many people would rank far higher. I can understand why Kylie Minogue is popular; it’s just that her brand of fluffy pop isn’t to my taste. It didn’t help that her early singles were the standard Stock, Aitken and Waterman pap.

Anyone who tries to say they have never liked anything Kylie has released is probably lying. Someone who has been releasing music for as long as she has is bound to have released some songs which are, at the very least, OK. Claiming to dislike all of them is like claiming to hate everything ever released by The Beatles or Madonna. That said, my two favourite Kylie singles are duets. No, Especially For You is not one of them.

The one Kylie song that qualifies for this list was number one in 2001. Without that ultra-annoying la-la-la-ing that so dominates the song, Can’t Get You Out Of My Head would be a lot better - and a good deal shorter. I have to judge it on the song as a whole though, so it ends up quite low down the list.

Can’t Get You Out Of My Head, Kylie’s sixth number one, went straight to the top in the chart announced the day before my birthday and stayed there for four weeks. It replaced DJ Otzi’s Hey Baby and was itself replaced by Afroman’s Because I Got High. Among the other songs in the chart in its first week at the top were Starsailor’s Alcoholic, Ian Brown’s Fear and Muhammad Ali by Faithless. Outside the top forty there was a re-entry for New Order’s Crystal whose video featured a fictional band called The Killers. Brandon Flowers saw the video and decided that was a good name for a real band.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 10th August 2020, 06:34 PM
Post #83
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Okay 'Can’t Get You Out Of My Head' is my new favourite song to drop out so far kink.gif a pop behemoth *.* 'Slow' did top it for me out of her #1s though!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 10th August 2020, 06:39 PM
Post #84
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Ooft, that's one I simply can't agree with there, Suedey. One of the best pop songs of the 21st Century! I'm always struck how it still sounds so contemporary.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 10th August 2020, 07:07 PM
Post #85
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I knew people would disagree laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 10th August 2020, 07:25 PM
Post #86
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
It's a classic, I saw her do it at the BIC on her Light Years tour, a year ahead of release. You are, of course, also dissing the wonderful Cathy Dennis and wonderful Rob Davis of Mud, who wrote it! Triple whammy! biggrin.gif

If repetitive la la la's is a thing, cough, ooh sorry excuse me, coughEiffel coughsixtycoughfivecough! Sorry had to clear my throat there a bit, some annoying mucus from 1999 has been lodged there 2 decades, cough! Ah that's better laugh.gif

the 2 duets, you can't fool me, I'd put a theoretical £50 on Nick Cave & Pet Shop Boys with an optional fiver on Manic Street Preachers (not a duet though).... biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 10th August 2020, 07:44 PM
Post #87
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Aug 10 2020, 07:27 PM) *
That said, my two favourite Kylie singles are duets. No, Especially For You is not one of them.

I'd guess the Nick Cave collaboration & Robbie Williams collaboration.

I didn't like "Can't Get You Out of My Head" at the time, but I can see why it's so popular.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 10th August 2020, 08:19 PM
Post #88
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961
I like the song that she did with the Pet Shop Boys called 'In Denial' but that wasn't a single so you're probably not referring to that one.

I'm not a big fan of any of the songs featured so far but I would put most of them above the no.1 singles from the last 10 years so I'll be interested to see which songs from the last decade are still to come.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 10th August 2020, 08:51 PM
Post #89
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Aug 10 2020, 08:44 PM) *
I'd guess the Nick Cave collaboration & Robbie Williams collaboration.

I didn't like "Can't Get You Out of My Head" at the time, but I can see why it's so popular.

That would be the two biggrin.gif The Nick Cave collaboration is particularly wonderful wub.gif Kylie's voice fits in brilliantly.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 10th August 2020, 09:27 PM
Post #90
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Count me as another who thinks that is far too low! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 10th August 2020, 09:36 PM
Post #91
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Aug 10 2020, 08:25 PM) *
It's a classic, I saw her do it at the BIC on her Light Years tour, a year ahead of release. You are, of course, also dissing the wonderful Cathy Dennis and wonderful Rob Davis of Mud, who wrote it! Triple whammy! biggrin.gif

If repetitive la la la's is a thing, cough, ooh sorry excuse me, coughEiffel coughsixtycoughfivecough! Sorry had to clear my throat there a bit, some annoying mucus from 1999 has been lodged there 2 decades, cough! Ah that's better laugh.gif

the 2 duets, you can't fool me, I'd put a theoretical £50 on Nick Cave & Pet Shop Boys with an optional fiver on Manic Street Preachers (not a duet though).... biggrin.gif

You could still be shocked by my number one number one ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 11th August 2020, 06:39 AM
Post #92
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Aug 10 2020, 09:51 PM) *
That would be the two biggrin.gif The Nick Cave collaboration is particularly wonderful wub.gif Kylie's voice fits in brilliantly.

"people who liked Kids may also like Robbie Williams/Guy Chambers tongue-in-cheek songs written for Kylie like Your Disco Needs You and Loveboat"

The single following the fab Nick Cave duet (in the tradition of Nancy & Lee) was a James Dean Bradfield song, written for Indie Kylie, Some Kind Of Bliss, plus some others. She's also done songs with Inga Humpe (Swimming With Sharks), and loads of Pet Shop Boys stuff written for her, which might in theory float your boat smile.gif

After your comment about what might be number one in your list, I'm feeling really blue ohmy.gif tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 11th August 2020, 06:50 PM
Post #93
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Anyone who draws up a list of their birthday number ones will find, if that list goes back decades, that there is at least one song that seemed to stay at number one for ever. Even someone whose birthday is around Christmas will be confronted with something like the godawful Whitney Houston version of I Will Always Love You or the magnificent Bohemian Rhapsody.

That brings us to Bryan Adams. He had a hit with Run To You in 1985. I wasn’t a big fan of the song but thought it was OK. Later that year he released Summer Of ‘69. I liked that song and was disappointed that it stalled at number 42.

Fast forward nearly six years and he released (Everything I Do) I Do It For You. The song was part of the soundtrack to a Robin Hood film and my initial reaction was that it was OK but not exactly a classic. It entered the chart in June 1991 at number eight, making it instantly his first top ten hit in the UK.

Two weeks later, at the beginning of July, it climbed to number one. Well done, I thought. Enjoy it while it lasts. I did not anticipate it being in its twelfth week at number one when I turned 31. Even then, I did not expect it to spend another four weeks at the top of the chart. Had it been in its second of four weeks at the top in September 1991, it would have finished higher in this list, As it had already more than outlasted its welcome by then, it is ranked at number 44.

Everything I Do replaced Jason Donovan’s version of Any Dream Will Do at the top of the chart. While I would not have wanted that to stay at number one long enough still to be there for my birthday, it did at least vacate the top spot before it became insufferably boring. U2 finally put us out of our misery by going to number one with The Fly towards the end of October. Vic Reeves and the Wonderstuff climbed to number two that week with their brilliant version of Dizzy. They topped the chart for the next two weeks.

Going back to my birthday chart, the top forty included Erasure’s Love to Hate You, Marc Almond’s excellent version of Jacques Brel’s Jacky (previously sung equally brilliantly by Scott Walker) and The Prodigy’s Charly.

Right Said Fred’s I’m Too Sexy spent six weeks at number two behind Bryan Adams, The Fairbrass brothers who formed Right Said Fred went to a school in East Grinstead which, a few years later, was attended by me. Their six-week run at number two came to an end for my birthday chart when another song with Sex in the title, the terrible Let’s Talk About Sex by Salt ‘n’ Pepper, took over the runner-up spot.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 11th August 2020, 08:09 PM
Post #94
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
Where Is The Love, OK its very good lyrically but production wise its a little bit boring and has been overplayed a bit, not to the extent of I Gotta Feeling though. Meet Me Halfway is my favourite Black Eyed Peas song, a great chorus from Fergie and good synthpop production to it.

As for Kylie, yes Can't Get You Outta My Head isn't one of her best singles imo. Better than I Could be So Lucky though. On A Night Like This has more emotion and atmosphere to it and is certianly a lot better I think than Can't Get You Outta My Head.

Bryan Adams Eyerything I Do, OK its a decent song, has some good emotion to it but is a bit on the cheesy side too and has of course been overplayed. Both versions of Run To You (the original by Bryan Adams and the cover by Rage) are good I think. Bryan Adams got better musically in the late 90s into 2000 I think with a good duet with Mel C 'When You're Gone', Cloud Number Nine was good and Don't Give Up with Chicane was a good #1 single.

This post has been edited by Flopiday: 11th August 2020, 08:34 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 12th August 2020, 07:00 AM
Post #95
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I've a soft spot for wanna-be Brit Bryan, loved Run To You, and Heaven (both future dance covers), never got Summer Of '69, and later gems like When You're Gone were fab. Never went to see the film, bought this one, topped my chart and then it graciously stopped topping my chart and by the time of your birthday Marc Almond's Jackie was on top. That's how history should have gone! Instead half the country was praying it would go away after around week 9 on top. I can still mildly enjoy it if it pops up, but I wouldnt choose to play it! TBH I felt sure this would be much lower in your chart biggrin.gif

Why did it last 16 weeks on top? The film, and trickle sales. It was never a big seller in any given week, sales overall were lower, but the video and film kept it going, and then the hype around it just built and built when it beat Bo Rap in weeks on top and it was looking like an all-time potential contender total. On the plus side, at least it wasn't the awful dirge All For One with Sting & Rod, 16 weeks of that on top wouldve turned the nation into lemmings headed for the nearest clifftops... laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 12th August 2020, 10:57 AM
Post #96
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
If I had done this ten years ago, I might have placed Everything I Do a few places lower (allowing for the fact that it would only be a 50-ssong list). I hear it so rarely now that it has lost some of its capacity to annoy laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 12th August 2020, 04:57 PM
Post #97
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Now we come to the artist who appears both as part of a band and as a solo (featured) artist. Black Eyed Peas finished at number 46 and will.i.am is three places higher as featured artist on The Script’s Hall Of Fame, a 2012 collaboration that came about while Mr am and The Script’s Danny O’Donoghue were coaches on The Voice. It remains The Script’s only number one single and is one of Mr am’s five.

Hall Of Fame replaced Ne-Yo’s Let Me Love You (Until You Learn To Love), a song that must have been extraordinarily dull as I have no memory of it whatsoever. It stayed at number one for a second week to become my birthday number one before being displaced by Gangnam Style. Had that Korean monstrosity made it to the top a week earlier, it would have been very close to the bottom of this list.

The use of Public Enemy’s Harder Than You Think in Channel 4’s coverage of the London Paralympics saw the song reach the chart. The chart also included Read All About It by Emeli Sande who was everywhere that year, The Killers’ Runaways and Florence + The Machine’s Spectrum. Elbow’s signature song dropped out of the top forty that week after achieving a new chart peak following Guy Garvey and co’s performance at the closing ceremony for the Olympic Games.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 12th August 2020, 07:27 PM
Post #98
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The Script's least-dull record by a country mile, I like this one, and also one of Will's better solo efforts (his peak being 3 words with Cheryl's best-ever solo effort. Moral: working with other judges on music talent shows leads to better quality control laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 12th August 2020, 08:15 PM
Post #99
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Aug 12 2020, 08:27 PM) *
The Script's least-dull record by a country mile, I like this one, and also one of Will's better solo efforts (his peak being 3 words with Cheryl's best-ever solo effort. Moral: working with other judges on music talent shows leads to better quality control laugh.gif

I haven't said where the rest of The Script's output would have finished laugh.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 12th August 2020, 08:30 PM
Post #100
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
We sung Where Is The Love in church once laugh.gif

As for the rest, Hall Of Fame and Can't Get You Out Of My Head are quite nice but don't care that much for the rest. Talk Dirty would be a resounding last if this was my countdown!

+Quote this post

18 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 04:16 PM