BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Pete's End Of Decade Countdown, FINISHED!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
PeteFromLeeds
post 7th February 2020, 10:15 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Honourable Mentions: 2018

Built by Titan - Broken Love (ft. Starxs)
Remember when I won BJSC? (yeah, that actually happened). Obviously I couldn't post my EOD without crediting the song that did it for me. I was really caught by this song on first listen, then it took a backseat for a few weeks, then it really grew on me again. I sent it to BJSC on a whim not having anything else to send and look where it got me ohmy.gif

Dean Lewis - Be Alright
The last Top 40 single to be a #1 in my Personal Chart, there was something about this tuneful piece (not the swearing) that made it stand out above everything else around at the time. It certainly deserved all the success it got!

The Fratellis - Starcrossed Losers
Whilst this isn't anything like the Fratellis' older stuff, it is still an incredibly fun and brilliant song and the best choice to kick-start their new era.

Lukas Graham - Not a Damn Thing Changed
Another Lukas Graham honourable mention here, this was the more gritty second single from their most recent album after the overly jolly 'Love Someone'. I always forget how good this is until I actually listen to it but it is a brilliant track and definitely worth a listen, even if you're not a fan of their more pop-py stuff.

Ofenbach - Paradise (ft. Benjamin Ingrosso)
Ofenbach's first #1 in my Personal Chart, this takes all the good things about Katchi and turns it into a completely different song with some decent vocals as well.

Rasmussen - Higher Ground
My Eurovision highlight of 2018, Vikings singing a really melodic ballad has to be up there and wasn't my initial favourite but certainly grew very quickly.

Tom Odell - If You Wanna Love Somebody
This was Tom's return and marked a much more fun sound compared to his previous fairly miserable tracks from his previous album.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th February 2020, 08:51 PM
Post #22
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

If You Wanna Love Somebody is fun, not my absolute Tom fave but I enjoy it when it pops up on shuffle!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 8th February 2020, 09:10 PM
Post #23
Group icon

QUOTE(JosephInSpace @ Feb 8 2020, 08:51 PM) *
If You Wanna Love Somebody is fun, not my absolute Tom fave but I enjoy it when it pops up on shuffle!

I would say that Here I Am is probably on a par with this one as my favourite Tom Odell song, both for very different moods though. Thanks Joseph!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 8th February 2020, 09:15 PM
Post #24
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316

Hey Pete! Hopefully there'll be more in the decade countdown I'm familiar with kink.gif (will be listening to your EOY songs once I'm finished my own countdown though, haven't forgotten!).

Glad to see Mr Saxobeat get an honourable mention for 2011. A great song, but I do much prefer Alexandra's later work. Have you heard Thanks For Leaving and Cherry Pop? *.* Both so different, but both among her absolute best <3

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 8th February 2020, 09:16 PM
Post #25
Group icon

Honourable Mentions: 2019
(not writing too much for these as I wrote a full-on commentary for each of them literally two weeks ago)

Alle Farben - Fading (ft. ILIRA)
This certainly piqued my interest in Alle Farben again and is a brilliant brassy tune but it's no Please Tell Rosie or Little Hollywood.

Badflower - Promise Me
My favourite Badflower song to date, a great piece of music depicting the optimism of growing up ad then the sad reality of death.

Cavetown - Green
I feel a bit bad missing this off my Top 100 but very few 2019 songs made it in at all! It will likely be remembered as one of my favourites anyway.

Martin Jensen - Somebody I'm Not (ft. Bjornskov)
This revived my love for Martin, it isn't memorable enough to make my EOD but still a really good and meaningful dance track.

Sam Martin - Sabotage
Another brilliantly well put-together song, this really proved that Sam doesn't need a DJ to make a great tune.

Walk Off The Earth - Mike's Song
A lovely tribute to their late band member, very different to their other stuff but that makes it all the more beautiful.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 8th February 2020, 09:26 PM
Post #26
Group icon

Aaaannd we're ready to start! But first, here are the basic stats of how many tracks from each year made it in:

2010: 12 songs
2011: 4 songs
2012: 5 songs
2013: 6 songs
2014: 21 songs
2015: 17 songs
2016: 12 songs
2017: 10 songs
2018: 9 songs
2019: 4 songs

Well my love for the middle of the decade is clear :') That makes sense though as 2014 was the year I really took interest in the charts (and music in general) - before that most of my music input came from charity shop CDs which were usually no more recent than the late 90s or early 00s (plus of course Eurovision which could keep me fresh music-ed out until the next one). I guess the spike in 2010 was down to an interest I had slowly dying away, and I do remember a point where I wasn't interested in modern music at all. From 2014 onwards there's basically a natural decrease, which is probably down partly to the fact that music quality did drop, and partly down to the fact that the more recent something is in my head, the less nostalgic it feels. Poor 2019 only has 4 entries and that's almost definitely down to the fact that the year has literally just ended.

+Quote this post
danG
post 8th February 2020, 09:42 PM
Post #27
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Disciples - They Don't Know loved this, shame it got quickly forgotten after briefly charting
Lethal Bizzle - Fester Skank (feat. Diztortion)
Mans Zelmerlow - Heroes one of the better songs to come out of eurovision this decade, was great to see it win
Years And Years - Shine

Joe Stone & Ferreck Dawn - Man Enough
The Magician - Shy (ft. Brayton Bowman)
Michael Calfan - Nobody Does It Better

^ all those are rather good although for all three I much preferred their one chart hit

Aedhi & Clement Bcx - Next to You

Built by Titan - Broken Love (ft. Starxs) still one of your best bjsc entries!
Rasmussen - Higher Ground this was rather good on eurovision with the whole performance although like most didn't get that many plays from me post-contest

Cavetown - Green

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 8th February 2020, 09:44 PM
Post #28
Group icon

Walking on Cars
Don't Mind Me (2016)
-
Video

Commentary

The second big track from Irish band Walking On Cars, this made #1 on my Personal Chart and almost definitely broke one of my superficial Top 10 records at the time as well as placing at #3 on my EOY, but now it is very firmly second place to the much better Speeding Cars and only just managed to scrape the Top 100 here. It does have its merits though and listening to it now makes me remember how much I like it.

-----------------------------------------

Snow Patrol
Don't Give In (2018)
-
Video

Commentary

Snow Patrol's comeback song after almost a decade of nothing, this took a while to grow on me but soon became one of my favourites. Sadly Gary had to swear in the middle of the song which threw it quite a way down in my rankings when considering which songs shaped my decade. The rest of their album was very much singing-with-the-occasional-guitar-strum which sadly isn't my gig.

The Magician
Sunlight (ft. Years & Years) (2014)
-
Video

Commentary

And so we kick off our 21-strong 2014 cohort. Back when I didn't have a clue who The Magician or Years & Years were (most people still don't have a clue who The Magician is sadly sad.gif) this came out. Complete with a music video of a large guy who's swimming shorts didn't fit him, this song brings out all the synths for a really memorable dance track. Well done Steve and Olly.

Nico & Vinz
When the Day Comes (2014)
-
Video

Commentary

The first Nico & Vinz song to land, I first discovered this thanks to FIFA and became an instant favourite from the soundtrack (he says, knowing full well there's another song from that same soundtrack higher up this countdown). That meant that I was very familiar with it by the time I actually purchased the album but it slides in perfectly with that perfect album.

Wallows
These Days (2018)
-
Video

Commentary

Another loss from 2018, this almost missed my EOD countdown but every time I listen to it I'm reminded of how brilliant it is and how I've forgotten that it is brilliant. I don't care whether the lead singer is an actor or whatever, all I know is that they're a really good band and this is a really good song.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 8th February 2020, 10:08 PM
Post #29
Group icon

Jax Jones
House Work (ft. Mike Dunn & MNEK) (2016)
-
Video

Commentary

Interesting that the official audio has 20 million views whilst the video only has 1.6 million ohmy.gif Anyway, this was Jax's first real taste of success as a lead artist, as the Radio 1 dance shows grabbed it with both hands, and it managed a low Top 100 position, paving the way nicely for You Don't Know Me to become his breakthrough single. This however remains his best by an absolute mile for me, one of the last of its kind.

Royce Lovett
I Wanna Love You (2016)
-
Video

Commentary

No matter what BJSC says, I will hold firm to the belief that this song is an absolute tune and a real breath of fresh air, mixing piano, guitar strumming and jolly rapping together to create a real ambience that could even be compared to Nico & Vinz. And apparently Royce has just been on The Voice USA so ready for this to become a 10-week #1.

Wiley
Can You Hear Me? (Ayayaya) (ft. Skepta, JME & Ms. D) (2012)
-
Video

Commentary

Shocked this doesn't have a music video, didn't every song have a music video back in 2012? Anyway, this is a rare appearance from one of the earlier years of the decade. Of course it's a rap/dance mix, rapper Wiley with a bunch of other rappers and Ms. D (who is apparently Dyo of NEIKED fame). Initially I thought she was singing 'everybody right now do the hippie dance' and that soon became my draw to this song, even when I knew the right lyrics. It's classic 2012 music and I love it.

Sergey Lazarev
You Are The Only One (2016)
-
Video

Commentary

This feels like one of the last 'classic Eurovision' songs to really do well in the contest, and certainly should have won over Jamala (even if I did think it was nice to have something different win), I think it could have made an impact chartwise if it did. A brilliant pop song with a brilliant stageshow to go with it.

Tinie Tempah
Not Letting Go (ft. Jess Glynne) (2015)
-
Video

Commentary

Back when Tinie Tempah used to get hits, this was a #1 I could really get on board with (especially as it knocked that dreadful Jason Derulo song off the top). A funky summer song with a funky guitar, a brilliant rap from Tinie and one of Jess' brilliant vocals. And I can very proudly say that this definitely isn't the highest appearance from either of these artists.

91 Tine Tempah - Not Letting Go (feat. Jess Glynne)
92 Sergey Lazarev - You Are the Only One
93 Wiley ft. JME & Ms. D - Can You Hear Me? (Ayayaya)
94 Royce Lovett - I Wanna Love You
95 Jax Jones - House Work (ft. Mike Dunn & MNEK)
96 Wallows - These Days
97 Nico & Vinz - When the Day Comes
98 The Magician ft. Years & Years - Sunlight
99 Snow Patrol - Don't Give In
100 Walking on Cars - Don't Mind Me

+Quote this post
Calum
post 8th February 2020, 10:40 PM
Post #30
Group icon
nabad

Not Letting Go wub.gif Despite Jess Glynne's vocals being all over it, it's such a bop!

+Quote this post
danG
post 8th February 2020, 11:02 PM
Post #31
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

ah, so Sunlight does appear higher for The Magician then, it could only reach #497 in mine but that's still very good, he never bettered it.
interesting that House Work is his highest in your chart, he out-did it for me many times but it is great for what it is.
Can You Hear Me probably had a video but must've got taken down by Wiley, once he returned to grime and disowned his chart hits for being too commercial (Heatwave is also taken down but has one of those split into four screens reuploads)
Not Letting Go was rather good too although not a big fave of either of those for me
You Are the Only One now that had a great eurovision performance too, certainly deserved to win more than what actually did.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 10th February 2020, 04:13 PM
Post #32
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Great start to your Top 100 there, Pete. 'Not Letting Go', 'Sunlight', Can You Hear Me? (Ayayaya) and 'House Work.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 10th February 2020, 09:48 PM
Post #33
Group icon

QUOTE(Calum @ Feb 8 2020, 09:15 PM) *
Hey Pete! Hopefully there'll be more in the decade countdown I'm familiar with kink.gif (will be listening to your EOY songs once I'm finished my own countdown though, haven't forgotten!).

Glad to see Mr Saxobeat get an honourable mention for 2011. A great song, but I do much prefer Alexandra's later work. Have you heard Thanks For Leaving and Cherry Pop? *.* Both so different, but both among her absolute best <3

I don't think I have! Giving Cherry Pop a listen now, it's a bit too pop-py for me whereas I liked Mr. Saxobeat's Euro-pop vibe - thanks Calum biggrin.gif

QUOTE(dan.G @ Feb 8 2020, 09:42 PM) *
Disciples - They Don't Know loved this, shame it got quickly forgotten after briefly charting
Lethal Bizzle - Fester Skank (feat. Diztortion)
Mans Zelmerlow - Heroes one of the better songs to come out of eurovision this decade, was great to see it win
Years And Years - Shine

Joe Stone & Ferreck Dawn - Man Enough
The Magician - Shy (ft. Brayton Bowman)
Michael Calfan - Nobody Does It Better

^ all those are rather good although for all three I much preferred their one chart hit

Aedhi & Clement Bcx - Next to You

Built by Titan - Broken Love (ft. Starxs) still one of your best bjsc entries!
Rasmussen - Higher Ground this was rather good on eurovision with the whole performance although like most didn't get that many plays from me post-contest

Cavetown - Green

As I say I hadn't heard They Don't Know until the summer after it charted by very quickly became a favourite for me. I tend to over-play Eurovision songs so there's still a few to come tongue.gif Thanks Dan!

QUOTE(Calum @ Feb 8 2020, 10:40 PM) *
Not Letting Go wub.gif Despite Jess Glynne's vocals being all over it, it's such a bop!

Jess Glynne is amazing, what you saying kink.gif Glad you're a fan though!

QUOTE(dan.G @ Feb 8 2020, 11:02 PM) *
ah, so Sunlight does appear higher for The Magician then, it could only reach #497 in mine but that's still very good, he never bettered it.
interesting that House Work is his highest in your chart, he out-did it for me many times but it is great for what it is.
Can You Hear Me probably had a video but must've got taken down by Wiley, once he returned to grime and disowned his chart hits for being too commercial (Heatwave is also taken down but has one of those split into four screens reuploads)
Not Letting Go was rather good too although not a big fave of either of those for me
You Are the Only One now that had a great eurovision performance too, certainly deserved to win more than what actually did.

Yeah I thought it must have a video but didn't realise Wiley disowned his chart hits ohmy.gif There's another Wiley song to come which still has a video but it's also less commercial so that would make sense.

QUOTE(Mack. @ Feb 10 2020, 04:13 PM) *
Great start to your Top 100 there, Pete. 'Not Letting Go', 'Sunlight', Can You Hear Me? (Ayayaya) and 'House Work.

Glad you like all these - thanks Mack!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 10th February 2020, 10:20 PM
Post #34
Group icon

Nico & Vinz
In Your Arms (2014)
-
Video

Commentary

This song got so much stick when it came out (presumably for being 'too generic' and hence resulting in its peak of #90) which it really didn't deserve! I think it's a really good follow-up single, yes it might be a bit more mainstream but it still has the drums and twangy guitars and of course their wonderful vocals. And the music video is stellar, telling the story of a man who is building a time machine to go back to when his family died so he could die with them cry.gif

MOWE
Back In The Summer (ft. Cleah) (2017)
-
Video

Commentary

Keeping the tropical vibes high, this is the highest MOWE got in an EOY chart but Mel & Clem still have one song to come. It's actually quite similar to Nico & Vinz' stuff with the chanting and twangy guitars, except the vocals are female and MOWE are producers wink.gif

Olly Murs
Seasons (2014)
-
Video

Commentary

You might call me mad for including an Olly Murs song in my Top 100 (I think I'm a bit mad myself) but this song really stands out for some reason (probably the twangy guitars, three in a row oops) and I think the structure of the melody helps in some way as well. I loved this so much that it stuck ion my head throughout the wwhole of my DofE practise expedition which went terribly, so it just reminds me of being lost in fields and Chow Mein noodles now laugh.gif

Zara Larsson
Lush Life (2016)
-
Video

Commentary

(Yes I am disowning that dreadful 'alternate video')

Anyway, continuing the mainstream artist theme, I discovered this long before it became a hit in the UK on various European voting charts, and immediately fell in love. This made me want to buy it, but of course OA/OS wasn't a think back then and so I had to wait months before I could get my hands on it. Cue it entering the charts and me dancing round the iamspamspamamito it (although it was soon overshadowed by another song which entered the chart around the same time kink.gif)

Avicii
Waiting For Love (2015)
-
Video

Commentary

(well if we're being quirky about music videos this one is so much better than the official one so give it a watch)

The first of four Avicii songs in this countdown, this was the first time I really perked my ears up and paid attention to an Avicii song on first listen. It was the verses that really got me, the way the opposites were put together, and my love was sealed when I found out that the vocalist was the amazing Simon Aldred of Cherry Ghost fame (come back Cherry Ghost cry.gif). Overplay did do for it in the end but I still appreciate how much of a good song this is!

+Quote this post
danG
post 10th February 2020, 10:23 PM
Post #35
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

a big yes for Lush Life and especially Waiting For Love here, both could appear in my top 100 too. WFL of course was also my #1 of 2015.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 10th February 2020, 10:36 PM
Post #36
Group icon

KDA
Turn the Music Louder (ft. Tinie Tempah & Katy B) (2015)
-
Video

Commentary

The last #1 to be released on streaming before sales (remember when that was a thing? How times have changed), I remember various versions of this popping up on Dance Anthems and me being intrigued. Of course it was a brilliant dance song with some brilliant rapping (remember how I love dance/rap collabs?). Also big love to the Leikeli47 remix which has even better rapping and I actually expect that one to start playing whenever I play it!

Vance Joy
We're Going Home (2018)
-
Video

Commentary

This is the Vance Joy song I get REALLY excited about (not that one about ripping tides or whatever it is), he has such a good back catalogue but this really blows everything else out the park, such a fun upbeat song with such a fun melody and just a really joyful ambience about it as a whole.

Bad Sounds
Meat On My Bones (2017)
-
Video

Commentary

One of the least mainstream songs in the countdown, Bad Sounds really have become incredibly mediocre recently but their first stream of songs was a real high and this was the best of them, an incredibly funky track with some quirky videos and a music video made by four different cartoonists.

3OH!3
Starstrukk (ft. Katy Perry) (2010)
-
Video

Commentary

Back to the start of the decade now (looks like it was actually late 2009 but I've made my countdown now so oh well), I think it was the random whistles throughout this that really got me into it. And it took me too long to work out they were pronounced three-oh-three instead of three-oh-haitch-exclamationmark-three.

Wiley
Boom Blast (2012)
-
Video

Commentary

And here's the other Wiley song I was on about. This was the first song I heard from Wiley and my favourite song from Addicted to Bass 2012 (2012? really? I remember listening to this in our new car so vividly, surely it wasn't 2012??) which was fairly mediocre (this and a remix of a Sneakbo song were the only songs that stood out) but as with the best song from any album, it was elevated into a real position of love for me.

81 Wiley - Boom Blast
82 3OH!3 ft. Katy Perry - Starstrukk
83 Bad Sounds - Meat on My Bones
84 Vance Joy - We're Going Home
85 KDA - Turn the Music Louder (feat. Tinie Tempah & Jess Glynne)
86 Avicii - Waiting For Love
87 Zara Larsson - Lush Life
88 Olly Murs - Seasons
89 MOWE - Back in the Summer
90 Nico & Vinz - In Your Arms

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 10th February 2020, 11:20 PM
Post #37
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Boom Blast, I think it was from the beginning of 2012. Not one I've heard for a while but good all the same.

Starstrukk- This was played heavily at the end of 2009 and most of 2010. It was those random whistles that got into it and the vocals from Katy Perry.

Enjoyed Turn The Music Louder, Waiting For Love from the much missed Avicii. Still.missed.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 11th February 2020, 11:07 AM
Post #38
Group icon
nabad

Lush Life wub.gif Glad to see that appear - definitely among Zara's best. Seasons isn't my favourite Olly song (there aren't many tbqh kink.gif), but it's a nice enough song nonetheless.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 12th February 2020, 09:32 PM
Post #39
Group icon

QUOTE(dan.G @ Feb 10 2020, 10:23 PM) *
a big yes for Lush Life and especially Waiting For Love here, both could appear in my top 100 too. WFL of course was also my #1 of 2015.

Glad you're a fan, both amazing songs wub.gif Thanks Dan!

QUOTE(Mack. @ Feb 10 2020, 11:20 PM) *
Boom Blast, I think it was from the beginning of 2012. Not one I've heard for a while but good all the same.

Starstrukk- This was played heavily at the end of 2009 and most of 2010. It was those random whistles that got into it and the vocals from Katy Perry.

Enjoyed Turn The Music Louder, Waiting For Love from the much missed Avicii. Still.missed.

Glad you like all these - just seen Starstrukk in your EOD as well so great to see another fan - thanks Mack!

QUOTE(Calum @ Feb 11 2020, 11:07 AM) *
Lush Life wub.gif Glad to see that appear - definitely among Zara's best. Seasons isn't my favourite Olly song (there aren't many tbqh kink.gif), but it's a nice enough song nonetheless.

Seasons is the only Olly song I care for at all really, I'm not a massive fan but this one definitely stuck out from first listen onwards. Thanks Calum!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 12th February 2020, 09:46 PM
Post #40
Group icon

tUnE-yArDs
Water Fountain (2014)
-
Video

Commentary

Another song I discovered thanks to FIFA, this took a while to grow but soon became the song that was stuck in my head (although this time the misheard lyric was 'no lolly in the lollypop-a'). It has fairly minimal instrumentation but it is certainly made up for with brilliant vocals and a great melody.

Avicii
Peace of Mind (ft. Vargas & Lagola) (2019)
-
Video

Commentary

One of only four songs from 2019 to make it into the countdown, this is my favourite from Avicii's posthumous album, mainly just because of the guitar riff and the vocals, although listening again it is clear that this has traces of Avicii's mental health battle in there.

We The Lion
Found Love (2017)
-
Video

Commentary

Well We The Lion certainly have the honour of being the highest (read: only) Peruvian folk band in my countdown. I discovered this by chance after watching the Peruvian Top 10 from that week and immediately fell in love (love, love). It is probably the closest a song has ever been to being #1 and yet missed out to Martin Jensen's 'Solo Dance' (also a worth #1 but not in this countdown), but it really is a beautiful song.

Suzi Island
Show Me The Way (2018)
-
Video

Commentary

Another failed BJSC entry here, this was my introduction to British duo-turned-trio Suzi Island and still remains my favourite from them. It's such a fun and catchy little indie track that really deserves some more love!

HUMAN
ROBOT (2018)
-
Video

Commentary

Sticking with 2018 now, we have HUMAN (aka Daniel Adams-Ray of Somewhere In Stockholm fame) with an incredibly catchy robotic track 'ROBOT', complete with a fantastic beat and even some rapping! An absolute tune that I encourage you to listen to if you haven't already.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 09:02 AM