BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Liam's Decade of Country
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post Aug 12 2020, 01:22 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
I know precisely two people will care about this but I've been in such a country mood of late, so I decided to do a 10s countdown of country songs, made a solid top 50! A lot of Taylor, Carrie and Miranda, but it's varied enough. Indulgent af thread come thru x

I narrowed it down to only singles or it really would only be the three above, and anything released 2010-2019 as a single is a ok.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 12 2020, 01:41 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
50 Carrie Underwood – Dirty Laundry
Kicking things off is arguably the reigning queen of country, and one of the voices of our generation, but there will be a fair bit about her as we go along kink.gif Carrie angry at a cheater is Carrie at her best, but instead of being a revenge song, this is one where she simply airs out the infidelity to embarrass her ex. The arena-ready rock flourishes on this really make it fit amongst her 10s work such as Blown Away and Good Girl, but it stands out on its own.

49 Luke Combs - Hurricane
The first male entry, and there aren't many laugh.gif Familar content here, this is a song about an ex you don't want to see, but shows up and tears everything apart just by being in passing, just when you don't want to see them. This is fairly typical, but there's the odd flourish in the catchy melodies that make it pop and shine as one of this list!

48 Reba - If I Were A Boy
A true living legend, Reba is up there with the absolute greats of country and she's still going strong decades into her career. This is of course a Beyonce cover, and I think the song really suits her big diva voice and being turned into a country song, the lyrics fit perfectly and I think it brings out different emotions than it does with Beyonce singing it. it's not a replacement for the excellent original, but it's a great effort at making a modern classic her own, and is Reba's best song to be released in this a patchy decade with few stand out songs for her (this, Goin' Out Like That and Turn On The Radio is about it).

47 Miranda Lambert - All Kinds Of Kinds
This is soooo underrated! Such a cute little song about being unique, but it didn't even make the country top 20 as a single sad.gif This is a great opener to Miranda's Four The Record, I love the lyrics and the interwoven stories that make this song really warming, tied together by as always impeccable vocals.

46 Trixie Mattel - Break Your Heart
The Drag Race All Stars 3 winner branched into country music, and this is the highlight so far! The production is so catchy, it sounds like it could be a genuine country hit (and it should have been), which isn't something you expect to say of a Drag Race alumni laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post Aug 12 2020, 01:57 AM
Post #3
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
Omg I've been considering doing this countdown too (but lockdown killed off my motivation kink.gif), so very here for this *.*

Dirty Laundry is my fave of that section and my overall fave from Storyteller! Nice to see Luke Combs here, I think he lives up to the hype for the most part, already has a handful of memorable songs to his name. Agreed with your take on All Kinds Of Kinds and hoping there's more to come from Four The Record!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 12 2020, 04:26 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Not heard any of those, though I know the acts - and plus side, Miranda Lambert is currently in my personal charts cheer.gif biggrin.gif

Pretty sure both Jordan and I will be hoping Thomas Rhett Crash n Burn is on the list.

The last decade I bought new stuff by Carrie Underwood, Cole Swindell, Dierks Bentley, Alison Krauss, Dolly Parton, Florida Georgia Line, Glen Campbell, Kacey Musgraves, Keith Urban, Kelsea Ballerini, Lady Antebellum, Maren Morris, Red Sky July, Ward Thomas among others, so a few of them cropping up would be nice smile.gif

Does Ol Town Road qualify as country? biggrin.gif I'd include that one, myself...

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 12 2020, 05:29 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
YASSSSSS I’m so ready for this 😍😍

Dirty laundry is fabulous, storyteller on the whole is so underrated </3 Luke combs, imma pretend I didn’t see that x

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Aug 12 2020, 08:31 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
I can guarantee I won't know many/any of these but I'll follow along! Just given Hurricane a listen, quite a nice song, I feel like 2017 me would have been really into it!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 12 2020, 11:05 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
QUOTE(Riser @ Aug 12 2020, 02:57 AM) *
Omg I've been considering doing this countdown too (but lockdown killed off my motivation kink.gif), so very here for this *.*

Dirty Laundry is my fave of that section and my overall fave from Storyteller! Nice to see Luke Combs here, I think he lives up to the hype for the most part, already has a handful of memorable songs to his name. Agreed with your take on All Kinds Of Kinds and hoping there's more to come from Four The Record!

Yeah he stands out from a lot of the males imo, I feel like lots of them blend into one oops

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Aug 12 2020, 05:26 PM) *
Not heard any of those, though I know the acts - and plus side, Miranda Lambert is currently in my personal charts cheer.gif biggrin.gif

Pretty sure both Jordan and I will be hoping Thomas Rhett Crash n Burn is on the list.

The last decade I bought new stuff by Carrie Underwood, Cole Swindell, Dierks Bentley, Alison Krauss, Dolly Parton, Florida Georgia Line, Glen Campbell, Kacey Musgraves, Keith Urban, Kelsea Ballerini, Lady Antebellum, Maren Morris, Red Sky July, Ward Thomas among others, so a few of them cropping up would be nice smile.gif

Does Ol Town Road qualify as country? biggrin.gif I'd include that one, myself...

Some of those will be here yes *.*
I guess, I didn't though laugh.gif

QUOTE(UltraFolklore @ Aug 12 2020, 06:29 PM) *
YASSSSSS I’m so ready for this 😍😍

Dirty laundry is fabulous, storyteller on the whole is so underrated </3 Luke combs, imma pretend I didn’t see that x

Omg tea, bop city

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Aug 12 2020, 09:31 PM) *
I can guarantee I won't know many/any of these but I'll follow along! Just given Hurricane a listen, quite a nice song, I feel like 2017 me would have been really into it!

Appreciate it!! Maybe I can surprise you laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 12 2020, 11:42 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
45 Miranda Lambert – Bluebird

Miranda's current single also became not only her first solo country #1 since 2015, but first top 10 since then! I feel like this is one of those songs that comes at a perfect time, it was released as a single in December but I think it hits different when you think of it in terms of lockdown, keeping positive in the ways that we can no matter what happens.

44 Carrie Underwood - Smoke Break

I was disappointed at first in this, but I grew to love how the more laid back country-rock vibe constrasted with songs like Good Girl, Blown Away and indeed much of the rest of Storyteller that had big arena rock vibes. It stands out on the album for that reason, and I underrated it for a long time so here's its time to shine here.

43 Hayden Panettiere - Don't Put Dirt On My Grave Just Yet

Ultraviolenceland classique x Queen Hayden though she is mostly an actress, is outdoing songs by country legends here *.* Of course, Hayden plays Juliet Barnes on the TV series Nashville, who emerges as a rising star. This is the best song from the entire show in my opinion, a feisty country number that sounds like it could be a real comeback smash for a country star, a must listen even if you haven't seen the show.

42 Maren Morris - The Bones

I was pretty disappointed with Maren Morris' second album, I wanted her to go more pop and branch out, although ironically she did end up getting the massive crossover hit I so wanted and knew she could achieve with this song, reaching #12 on the Hot 100, #1 on Country and #2 on Adult Contemporary. This dabbles into pop without losing a country heart, it's easy to see how it managed to conquer multiple formats!

41 Pistol Annies - Hell On Hells

Finishing off this section is another Miranda song, this time from her side project with Ashley Monroe and Angeleena Pressley. This could easily fit on Miranda's own albums, being a cutting song that acts as a warning to cheating spouses, not to mess with this girl who is "hell on heels", and all 3 voices merge perfectly to tell this story with the genius lyrics.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Aug 13 2020, 05:37 AM
Post #9
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
The Bones! wub.gif Such a great song, shame it took me until early this year to get around to listening to it though

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 13 2020, 07:10 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Yeah I like The Bones too. The others dont ring a bell playing Bluebird now, that's a goodie. Think I'll buy it smile.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 14 2020, 07:42 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
QUOTE(Dexton @ Aug 13 2020, 06:37 AM) *
The Bones! wub.gif Such a great song, shame it took me until early this year to get around to listening to it though

Slow burn queen *.*

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Aug 13 2020, 08:10 AM) *
Yeah I like The Bones too. The others dont ring a bell playing Bluebird now, that's a goodie. Think I'll buy it smile.gif

Yaaas stan Miranda

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 14 2020, 08:11 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
40 Maddie & Tae – Girl In A Country Song

This tongue-in-cheek sass filled song took aim at formulaic bro-country, and got to #1 in the process! While the sound is typical, I love the theme of this song, which says something that needed to be said in a catchy, fun way.

39 Miranda Lambert - Vice

The lead-off for Miranda's most personal album yet was this hazy rock-tinged ballad about unhealthy coping mechanisms following a break-up, tackling the controversial theme of sexuality in country music. Nonetheless, this got critical acclaim, #11 on country radio and is one of her best and most raw offerings of the decade, typically candid and emotion-filled as you'd expect when she bears her heart!

38 Kacey Musgraves - Dime Store Cowgirl

Kacey's second single from Paegant Material is the best track it has to offer, and this biographical song is a bit like the country Started From The Bottom laugh.gif No matter how high she gets (and in the years following this, she got the Album of The Year Grammy, so pretty high), she won't forget her country roots - you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take country out of the girl.

37 Jason Aldean ft. Kelly Clarkson - Don't You Wanna Stay

A typical country male-female duet, but when there's vocals like Kelly's, nothing is typical. All of the usual power, passion and emotion from Kelly lifts this up to a believable and touching story about maintaining a good relationship, the two work so well together!

36 Kacey Musgraves - Butterflies

Rounding off this section is a song from my album of the decade, and the most typically country song from it. A perfect example of a lovely floaty country love song, this manages to capture all the hallmarks without being a total cliche, it's one of those songs you hear and you feel everything, it entirely captures how you felt in a new relationship and you're instantly transported to that time, feeling every word.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 14 2020, 08:45 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
35 Sam Hunt - House Party

This fun pop track is definitely more formulaic and typical than some of his other material, but it's such a feel-good bop as you'd expect from the title! This is one of those fail-safe happy songs I chuck on when I need one, and it does the job, it's nice to see a fun side of him when as a single, this is sandwiched between Take Your Time and Break Up In A Small Town.

34 Dan + Shay - Tequila

The melodies in this *.* It's full on typical country, but the huge chorus has such a pop sensibility that its no surprise it was a pop hit. I can't help but belt this out with pure conviction when I hear it, as if I, too, miss a girl in a sorority t-shirt when I drink tequila (funnily enough, this is not the case x).

33 Miranda Lambert - Over You

Another Miranda ballad, this time one of her most heartbreaking tear-jerkers written by then-husband Blake Shelton about his brother who had died in a car crash. What could be an uninspired weepy track is elevated by the sincerity in Miranda's voice, she can tell any story and you believe it, you'd think it was her with the experience Blake wrote about from the heart, and that's one of her biggest strengths as a vocalist always.

32 Little Big Town - Girl Crush

This is pretty unique both in content and its blue eyed soul influences, and was lauded by audiences and critics alike! This is a heartbreak song as many country ballads are, but the protaganist, instead of crying over a man, obsesses over the woman he has replaced her with, wanting to be just like her or kiss her lips just to feel and be with him again. This innovative lyrical viewpoint paired with perfect vocals from Karen Fairchild is a winner *.*

31 Ingrid Andress – More Hearts Than Mine

Another unique break-up song, this time focusing on family members, friends etc. who the guy will disappoint if the relationship will go wrong. Family is a common theme in country, so it was clever for this song to look at the even more common theme of a break-up through those lenses - pair that with the excellent melody of this and you've got a brilliant country song.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 15 2020, 04:30 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
30 Sam Hunt – Take Your Time

This was a huge moment in country this decade, it's rare you get a "cultural reset" like this! It was a risk, but it paid off, having such an R&B influence with largely spoken word verses. It was just so fresh and it's had a huge influence since it hit #1, country can be very samey and it's great when someone like Sam Hunt comes along and shakes it up with such a memorable song like this *.*

29 Ashley Monroe - Like A Rose

Sharp and witty yet wistful and touching, Ashley just has a way of bringing stories alive. You can't focus on anything but her voice as she carries you along, and whilst she can do honky-tonk upbeat songs filled with tongue-in-cheek references, she's definitely at her best here. This was critically acclaimed but it's criminal it was only a minor country hit </3

28 Maren Morris ft. Vince Gill - Dear Hate

This really hit hard in the wake of the LA shooting, so touching and poignant and perfect for the moment. It was what needed to be said as a message of hope, and Maren's perfectly emotional vocals just add to that.

27 Carrie Underwood - Cry Pretty

Carrie's 2018 album was her most experimental and ambitious album yet, and the title track was the perfect lead! This has rock elements and an empowering message that even if you aren't in control, don't be afraid to let your emotions out, sometimes you don't have to hold your head high at your own expense.

26 Kacey Musgraves - Rainbow

Sometimes less is more, and this beautifully simple song is a perfect example of that. It's pretty much just Kacey's incomparable clear voice and a piano, and that's all you need to feel every word and be instilled with the message of hope within the lyrics. This fits really well with the coronavirus pandemic being a dark cloud over us all, and also it's become an LGBT+ anthem, due to its message of staying strong in the face of adversity, because it will always get better.

+Quote this post
Riser
post Aug 16 2020, 01:23 AM
Post #15
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
Don't You Wanna Stay is my fave of the past few sections, fully agree with your comments there! Great to finally see Kacey appear and especially one from Pageant Material! I'm so guilty of not giving that album enough attention when her other two are such masterpieces.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 16 2020, 01:34 AM
Post #16
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
omg quadruple catch-up time heart.gif (yes I'm pretty much sober now x)

The 45-41 section SLAYS cheer.gif Smoke Break is so underrated, such a fantastic lead single and one I go back to way more than I expect <3 The latter can also be said about The Bones which I really didn't think I'd return to much at all but it's had such strong staying power with me, I've loved how massive its been worldwide *.* Bluebird is terrific and I'm so glad Miranda finally got another country #1 with that song (Tin Man and Vice were ROBBED). and don't put dirt on my grave just yet is that ultraviolenceland CLASSIC. I still bop to it all the time, such a f***ing song to scream outlaid <3 It's my fave song from Nashville easily (with Black Roses 2nd)

Vice is terrific and probs in my top 3 Miranda songs ever. I adore it so much and still listen regularly, the lyrics are fantastic and the last minute is INCREDIBLE. whew, a song. I like Butterflies but it's never been a major fave from GH for me!

Dan + Shay, imma pass on that x

Girl Crush is fabulous *.* LBT's best song after Better Man! More Hearts Than Mine is TERRIFIC and I've really fallen in love with it this year heart.gif The lyrics are great and it was nice seeing it become a surprise country hit this year *.*

That #28-#26 section wub.gif wub.gif Sometimes I think Dear Hate might just be my fave Maren song, it hits so hard lyrically and makes me emotional every time, the message is stunning and everything about it is perfect. It was fab seeing this acc slay in AF Idol *.* Cry Pretty is stunning too, perfect title track for the album and like Vice the final minute is terrific. A Carrie fave <3 and Rainbow is in my top 3 Kacey songs, the message is just so beautiful and it's a gorgeous album closer

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 17 2020, 08:55 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Some I like in the latest batches. Little Big Town had a massive track for me, which has yet to appear, and also my fave Kacey Musgraves, Maren Morris, Ingrid Andress, Miranda Lambert tracks still absent ohmy.gif Hoping some pop up in the top 25 cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 17 2020, 11:48 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
QUOTE(Riser @ Aug 16 2020, 02:23 AM) *
Don't You Wanna Stay is my fave of the past few sections, fully agree with your comments there! Great to finally see Kacey appear and especially one from Pageant Material! I'm so guilty of not giving that album enough attention when her other two are such masterpieces.

I'm the same, two excellent flawless albums, and PM is good but coming between those and not being as good I don't give it enough love!

QUOTE(UltraFolklore @ Aug 16 2020, 02:34 AM) *
omg quadruple catch-up time heart.gif (yes I'm pretty much sober now x)

The 45-41 section SLAYS cheer.gif Smoke Break is so underrated, such a fantastic lead single and one I go back to way more than I expect <3 The latter can also be said about The Bones which I really didn't think I'd return to much at all but it's had such strong staying power with me, I've loved how massive its been worldwide *.* Bluebird is terrific and I'm so glad Miranda finally got another country #1 with that song (Tin Man and Vice were ROBBED). and don't put dirt on my grave just yet is that ultraviolenceland CLASSIC. I still bop to it all the time, such a f***ing song to scream outlaid <3 It's my fave song from Nashville easily (with Black Roses 2nd)

Vice is terrific and probs in my top 3 Miranda songs ever. I adore it so much and still listen regularly, the lyrics are fantastic and the last minute is INCREDIBLE. whew, a song. I like Butterflies but it's never been a major fave from GH for me!

Dan + Shay, imma pass on that x

Girl Crush is fabulous *.* LBT's best song after Better Man! More Hearts Than Mine is TERRIFIC and I've really fallen in love with it this year heart.gif The lyrics are great and it was nice seeing it become a surprise country hit this year *.*

That #28-#26 section wub.gif wub.gif Sometimes I think Dear Hate might just be my fave Maren song, it hits so hard lyrically and makes me emotional every time, the message is stunning and everything about it is perfect. It was fab seeing this acc slay in AF Idol *.* Cry Pretty is stunning too, perfect title track for the album and like Vice the final minute is terrific. A Carrie fave <3 and Rainbow is in my top 3 Kacey songs, the message is just so beautiful and it's a gorgeous album closer

Stan me *.* Taste taste taste except Black Roses heinous x

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Aug 17 2020, 09:55 AM) *
Some I like in the latest batches. Little Big Town had a massive track for me, which has yet to appear, and also my fave Kacey Musgraves, Maren Morris, Ingrid Andress, Miranda Lambert tracks still absent ohmy.gif Hoping some pop up in the top 25 cheer.gif

Some of those may be appearing ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 17 2020, 12:16 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
25 Sara Evans – A Little Bit Stronger

This has become such a empowering anthem for women across the decade, with themes of getting over adversity (a break-up in this case, but it feels quite universal in places). The sparse, simple production allows the vocal emotion and lyrics to shine, which just hits the message home even harder.

24 Taylor Swift - Begin Again

I couldn't decide if Safe & Sound was really country, but this took it's place as I feel that's more folk(lore). Begin Again is one I kind of go up and down on, I won't go back for ages but it's such a beautiful and simple country song that really shows Taylor's knack for storytelling and emotion, which especially stands out on an album like Red where she went further pop than she ever had at that point.

23 Taylor Swift - Sparks Fly

Taylor again, this time a country-pop smash from Speak Now! This easily could have one of her first two albums (it was written before the debut and became a fan favourite during early live performances too), and smashed in at #1 on the country charts. This is so catchy and always ends up as a fun listen.

22 Little Big Town - Better Man

Taylor taking over this section *.* She wrote this heartbreak anthem for the country group, and it has become their best song to date. The harmonies as a group dynamic really add to the emotion I feel, so as much as I'd have loved to hear it as a Taylor song (it was intended for Red and would have fit in there perfectly), it just feels so right for Little Big Town, you feel everything and especially when you can relate to it, it hits different.

21 Cam - Diane

Just missing the top 20 is a BJSC smash, a song I loved before but it hit me again last year in BJSC! As an answer to one of the all time country classics, Jolene, this features the other woman apologising, feeling huge remorse once she knew the man was married. I love this inversion of the perspective, it feels like a fresh take on an old trope. The fact it didn't even make top 40 on the country chart is one of the biggest wtf chart moments of the decade :/

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Aug 17 2020, 01:14 PM
Post #20
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
Tequila and Take Your Time are iconic 2010s country songs *.*

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:42 PM