BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> My all-time top 100 girl groups songs + top 10 girlbands, 53 girl groups from 15 countries, time period : 1972-2020
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Last Dreamer
post 12th October 2020, 05:28 PM
Post #1
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

In this countdown I like to represent my all-time top 100 favourite girl group songs.

Rules :
1. Only singles or songs with the official videos were included, but I did one exception for Lithuania. This country didn’t have singles market and official videos were rare thing too, so Lithuanian songs with radio / TV airplay were added in my top 100.

2. Girl group must have at least two members, there are some wonderful songs from duets, so I didn’t want to exclude them from my list.

3. The collaborations between two girl groups or between female singer and girl group are illegal. Also I excluded two big hits of my weekly retro chart from this top 100, because both were one hit wonders from some actresses and not from real girl groups.

This countdown could be a little more interesting and funny in top 150 format, but I prefer “no fillers” list. All songs from top 100 got at least 8 / 10 score from me.

There are almost zero information about some songs / acts, so all your additions are welcome.

Some stats :
- 53 girl groups from 15 countries are represented in this countdown.
- the oldest song was recorded in 1972 year.
- the most freshest was upload on Youtube only 7 months ago.
- one group have the same name with a little more popular girlband.

Warning : This thread is more like alternative vision on the wonderful world of girl pop groups.

P.S : I really like all songs in this list. wub.gif

This post has been edited by Last Dreamer: 21st December 2020, 03:15 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 12th October 2020, 05:29 PM
Post #2
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

Before the start of main countdown I like to introduce six personal favourite songs, which became illegal under the current rules of this list.

Blogos Mergaites and 69 Danguje - Norim Buti Vaikais (The Land of Make Believe) (2008) - 10.0

"The Land of Make Believe" became only one song in the history of my retrospective chart, which was # 1 in three different versions, when Blogos Mergaites got # 1 with "Norim Buti Vaikais" (cover on Lithuanian language). The combined result is 21 weeks at # 1 (!!!) - nine for Bucks Fizz, seven for allSTARS* and five for Blogos Mergaites. Original was my "Song of the Year" from 1981 year, allSTARS* cover version is my favourite single from 2002.

I adore all three versions and gave very rare, but deserved 10 / 10 score.

We will meet Blogos Mergaites again in top 100.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 12th October 2020, 05:31 PM
Post #3
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

Marga Scheide and Deuce - 1, 2, 3 Bananas (1982) - 9.0

After the Dutch girl group Luv' split up in 1982, beauty blonde Marga Scheide recorded one single with Deuce (twin sisters Clari and Anja Horsmeier). "1,2,3 Bananas" spent 4 weeks on the top of my retrospective chart.

In the next year Horsmeier sisters took part in the Nationaal Songfestival (Dutch preselection for Eurovision Song Contest). They sang two tracks "Stopwatch" and "Computer games". Marga's debut single "Love Symphony" (1983) was her second and last number one in my chart.

This post has been edited by Beautiful Song: 12th October 2020, 05:32 PM

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 12th October 2020, 05:35 PM
Post #4
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

Quentin and Ash - Tell Him (1996) - 9.5

In July 1996 two British actresses Caroline Quentin and Leslie Ash released a cover version of 60s hit "Tell Him". The single was peaked at # 25 in UK, but became ultimate hit in my chart with 5 weeks on the top, also it's my favourite song from that year.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 12th October 2020, 05:37 PM
Post #5
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

Schulmadchen - Hook Me Up (2005) - 8.5

"Schulmadchen" (Schoolgirls) is a comedy series aired on RTL Television in Germany beginning in 2002. A total of fifteen episodes have been produced as of 2005. The show follows the adventures of a group of pushy, wealthy teenage girls at the fictitious gymnasium in Munich. The show stars Birthe Wolter as Laura, Laura Osswald as Cara, Simone Hanselmann as Stella and Arzu Bazman as Ramona.

In Russia "Schulmadchen" was translated on local MTV. "Hook Me Up" is an opening theme of season 2 and spent 3 weeks at # 1 in my chart.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 12th October 2020, 06:13 PM
Post #6
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

Girls Aloud - She (2008) - 9.0

"She" is B-side of "Promise" single and the one from my top 5 favourite Girls Aloud tracks.

This post has been edited by Beautiful Song: 12th October 2020, 06:13 PM

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 13th October 2020, 06:54 AM
Post #7
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

YVA - Grozio Fabrikas (2006) - 9.5

I will always have a special place in my heart for this song, but sadly YVA did a bet on other tracks from album, so based on the rules I can't include "Grozio Fabrikas" in top 100.

"Grozio Fabrikas" ("Beauty Factory") is my favourite track from 2nd YVA studio album "Katytes" ("Cats"), which was recorded in 2006. Now my favourite member of group Kristina (blonde lady from my avatar) is not only singer in YVA and Kristal, but also business lady and has small beauty studio.

Based on lyrics it's easily my favourite YVA song, "Grozio Fabrikas" also got the third place in my all YVA songs ranking two years ago. The sentence in my profile "Sielos grožio niekas nepavogs, kol širdy jaunystė gros" (No one will steal the beauty of the soul until the heart is young) was taken from this masterpiece.

I tried to translate it through Google from Lithuanian to English.

YVA - Beauty Factory

Little mirror, tell me how I'll look tomorrow,
When I grow old and bloom, what do you do then?
I want to be forever young, seductive, charming and loved,
Go through life with a smile.
No one will steal the beauty of the soul until the heart is young.

There are not too many sunny days,
Not too much at all, that is beautiful.
There is not too much smile on your face,
There is not too much youth in your heart.

Time runs away impatiently, forget about previous year,
What was yesterday may not be tomorrow.
Enjoy this day, accompany the sun with a song,
After all, life is a gift.
Our hearts will never grow old until the passion lives in them.

There are not too many sunny days,
Not too much at all, that is beautiful.
There is not too much smile on your face,
There is not too much youth in your heart.

Before May 2020 "Grozio Fabrikas" was available on Youtube only on my channel. Please push "Like" button, if you like this song.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 14th October 2020, 09:09 AM
Post #8
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

100. Aly & AJ - Potential Breakup Song (2007) - 8.0

Chart results : # 22 in UK, # 16 in Ireland, # 18 in Norway

"Potential Breakup Song" is a song co-written and performed by American duo Aly & AJ and is the first single from their third studio album "Insomniatic".

Time magazine ranked "Potential Breakup Song" the ninth best song of 2007. The song received positive reviews from other music critics as well, many praising its lyrical content and its maturity, as well as the "adventurous" synth-based production.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 14th October 2020, 09:10 AM
Post #9
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

99. Pipettes - Your Kisses Are Wasted On Me (2006) - 8.0

Chart results : # 35 in UK

British indie pop girl group Pipettes was active from 2003 to 2011 and released two albums "We Are the Pipettes" and "Earth vs. The Pipettes".

"Your Kisses Are Wasted on Me" was the second single from their debut album "We Are the Pipettes" and became the first UK top 40 hit for group.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 14th October 2020, 09:12 AM
Post #10
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

98. Twins - It’s My Time (2009) - 8.0

Suprisingly only some songs from this countdown have any connection with Eurovision Song Contest. Twin sisters duo Francine and Nicola Gleadall from Sheffield were the participants of UK national pre-selection and finished on the second place. All three finalists performed the same song. Girls’ version sounds like a potentinal minor Christmas hit.

"It's My Time" was written by legendary Andrew Lloyd Webber, who has composed 21 musicals include such big things as Cats, Evita, The Phantom of the Opera and Jesus Christ Superstar.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 14th October 2020, 09:13 AM
Post #11
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

97. Pearls - You Are Everything (1973) - 8.0

Chart results : # 41 in UK

English 1970s girl vocal duo from Liverpool Pearls (Lyn Cornell and Ann Simmons) reached number one in my retro charts with their first three singles. This record (for girl groups) will be broken only in 1996 year by other English girlband, who had 4 number ones on a start of their career, as B*Witched in UK chart.

Like the previous two their chart toppers “You Are Everything” is a cover version.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 14th October 2020, 09:14 AM
Post #12
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

96. Lemonescent - Unconditional Love (2003) - 8.0

Chart results : disqualified in UK

Lemonescent was a Scottish girl group formed in 2002. The band achieved small success in UK, scoring three top forty singles between 2002 and 2005.

Their fifth single "Unconditional Love" was on course to give them their biggest hit in UK, appearing at No.20 in the midweeks, but was removed from the chart due to suspicions of chart-rigging by bulksale-buying. It was confirmed by Official Charts Company that hundreds of copies of the single were being bought in bulk in and around Glasgow.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th October 2020, 09:34 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Oh I have a huge soft spot for 'Potential Break Up Song' *.* they still make great music now too!

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 14th October 2020, 10:09 AM
Post #14
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

QUOTE(Blade @ Oct 14 2020, 12:34 PM) *
Oh I have a huge soft spot for 'Potential Break Up Song' *.* they still make great music now too!

Jade, thanks for comment.

I almost don't listen the current music, so even didn't know about it. smile.gif
From their old stuff Christmas single "Greatest Time Of Year" was in pre-list and had a chances for main countdown, if my list was extended to 150 songs.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 15th October 2020, 09:54 AM
Post #15
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

95. Lucy Street - Loves Me Loves Me Not (2000) - 8.0

Chart results : # 14 in Sweden

Lucy Street was a Swedish pop group that consisted of Johanna Liden, Karolina Dahlman and Malin Sjoquist. The band name was inspired by American 60s sitkom “The Lucy Show”.

In 2000 year the ladies scored top 3 hit "Girl Next Door" in their home country, but I prefer the follow-up single “Loves Me Loves Me Not”. Both singles were written by legendary Jorgen Elofsson. He wrote some famous pure pop hits for Britney, Westlife, Kelly Clarkson, Steps, participants of UK music shows (Gareth Gates, Shayne Ward) and two tracks for Geri Halliwell’s masterpiece album “Scream If You Wanna Go Faster”.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 15th October 2020, 09:56 AM
Post #16
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

94. Mango - Meile Be Atsako (2020) - 8.0

Girl group Mango is the veteran of Lithuanian pop scene. This group was created in 1998 and during its ten-year career Mango released 9 (!!!) studio albums. The band announced its retirement in 2007 with a release 3 CDs compilation of its best songs and a good-bye tour across Lithuania. In 2014 year girls did a comeback with different line-up under name "Man-Go".

From the first line-up only Rima Petrauskyte still a constant group member, but Viktorija Perminaite also joined to her teammate, when Mango celebrated 20th anniversary of group and had a tour across Lithuania in the end of 2019 year.

In this year Mango released a new album “2020”, “Meile Be Atsako” became the third # 1 hit from this gorgeous LP in my chart.

Mango is my all-time third favourite girl group, so obviously it’s not their last entry in top 100.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 15th October 2020, 06:29 PM
Post #17
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

93. Paperdolls - Gonna Make You Blush (1998) - 8.0

Chart results : # 65 in UK

Usually I have very warm feelings for British unpopular girl groups, there is one more.

Boyzone tour supporters Paperdolls (Lucy Pargeter, Debbie Cresswell and Hollie Johnson) released “Gonna Make You Blush” in 1998 year. Unfortunately for ladies their single didn’t reach top 40 in UK and became the end of their short music career.

This post has been edited by Last Dreamer: 15th October 2020, 06:33 PM

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 15th October 2020, 11:25 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

QUOTE(Blade @ Oct 14 2020, 09:34 AM) *

Same! And I agree, Joan of Arc on the Dancefloor is a BOP! I don't know any of the other songs here but I'm hoping Icelandic mid-2000s girl band Nylon make an appearance here given the international flair of the countdown dance.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 16th October 2020, 09:05 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

2 faves for me here, The Pearls had some great singles in the early 70's and The Pipettes were great fun in the 00's, topping my charts with one track I won't mention as it's a potential back-up for BJSC laugh.gif

I have a few singles by The Pearls, including one called Wizard Of Love which was a sort of tribute to Roy Wood & Wizzard. Lynn Cornell had a solo hit in 1960, and their first hit vocals Third Finger Left Hand was recorded by Sue & Sunny (due to contractual issues), a duo of sisters who were in an early version of Brotherhood Of Man (Eurovision link!) with Sunny having a hit in 1974 with Doctor's Orders. The Pearls recorded Doctor Love and flopped, but Tina Charles had a hit with it in 1976. Tina Charles was also involved in substitute vocals as lead on 5000 Volts I'm On Fire, and she was fab but the band had a fake blonde stand-in singer on Top Of The Pops, probably cos she had signed up with Biddu for a successful solo career by then (who wrote Doctor Love for The Pearls). Tina went out with Trevor Horn, later producer legend and future Buggles, for a while.

I love pop music links laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 16th October 2020, 03:41 PM
Post #20
Group icon
With Kristina in heart

92. Euphony - Home (2015) - 8.0

My all-time # 1 song from 2012 wasn’t the last gift from Latvian national pre-selection. Girl duo Euphony tried to represent their country on Eurovision with beautiful slow song “Home”, but were eliminted on a semifinal stage together with four other acts.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 11:39 PM