BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)
If you have forgotten your password and a recovery email has not arrived, please click here to send us an email.

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> UK local elections 2022, May 5 - England councils, Scotland & Wales authorities
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Smint
post 5th May 2022, 08:20 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 124,514

No point waiting up for the results in my view (although might do a sneak peak when I wake up during the light to use the loo) not that I have the time with work being so manic. Nothing substantial trickling through to about 2am with several of the interesting ones Friday daytime. Key london councils 5-7am mind.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/m...ts-will-come-in

This post has been edited by Smint: 5th May 2022, 09:07 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 5th May 2022, 07:24 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

I voted today. Hopefully some good change will come about from today's local elections.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 5th May 2022, 11:21 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Shame that most early results trickling through are from Sunderland and areshowing Labour doing not too well (although that was one council they were particularly worried about), Tories slightly gaining and Lib Dems producing a few shock wins.

This post has been edited by Smint: 5th May 2022, 11:22 PM

+Quote this post
Smint
post 5th May 2022, 11:54 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Off to Nuneaton and Tories are gaining against Labour. Greens doing well in Tynesdie and a few other places.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 6th May 2022, 12:46 AM
Post #25
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Lib dems continuing to make gains in the blue wall seats!

+Quote this post
Smint
post 6th May 2022, 12:51 AM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

That is great news about Lib Dems and Greens but Starmer's Labour aren't doing well at all. Maybe taking a few London councils will help but he doesn't look like he can beat Johnson in a General Election. Of course to be fair, the Brexit Party/UKIP threat has almost fully been subsumed into the Tory party now.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 6th May 2022, 01:01 AM
Post #27
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Pronouns: he/they
User: 12,929

To be fair, so far we have little picture from London and the seats Labour were defending in the north were those that it was holding comfortably in 2018. Still a little early to say, and I think it looks acceptable for Labour based on the results we have.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 6th May 2022, 01:16 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Too early to fully tell still but Labour have lost seats to the Tories in Oldham, Nuneaton and Harlow. Not really what people would have hoped for post Party Gate and cost of living crisis. However, I'm expecting stunning wins for Lib Dems and Greens in more Southern seats. The sad thing is that they aren't strong enough to be a full opposition.

But agree let's wait and see a bit.

EDIT - I get what you mean now in the sense that these results should be compared more with the 2019 General Election where they lost the Red Wall rather than 2018 when they had the Red Wall comfortably. As the Red Wall went tumbling on that goddawful night in December 2019.

This post has been edited by Smint: 6th May 2022, 01:38 AM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 6th May 2022, 04:26 AM
Post #29
Group icon

Labour take Wandsworth and the new Cumberland council, both very good results no matter what. The Cumberland council is an area served by 3 Tory MPs, countryside ones as well! Also Southampton.

So basically, not all the Conservative losses are going straight to Labour but they're still a significant beneficiary and weakening the Tory hold on places with Lib Dems and Greens in other places is no bad sign.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 6th May 2022, 10:31 AM
Post #30
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Yeh the red wall is t coming back much and the south Labour have competition from the Lib Dems although some of them seat will always be yellow so maybe they can take seats off the tories from all sides which would be good but Labour need to target northern seats for this to happen.

Good to see the Scottish tories are falling back even though they have been trying to act like they aren’t the same party as in England.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 6th May 2022, 10:37 AM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

I suppose the good thing is that Tories was 24 points or something ahead in the polls in early 2020, level pegging or just ahead pre partygate and now behind with the cost of living crisis only going to get far worse for them. I think they will always have a base of at least 30% to appeal to the anti immigration, socially regressive voter now that there isn't a Brexit/UKIP party. So reasonably pleased with tonight, after having a few kittens from some of the early votes! Just wished we had someone better than Starmer for Labour but the only one I could see who would do a lot better would be Andy Burnham and he isn't even an MP yet.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 6th May 2022, 11:40 AM
Post #32
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

I think what is interesting about the results, is the Brexit split still seems to be apparent more than ever. The Lib Dems doing well is a good sign for a general election in 2024. The London councils are big symbolic wins for Labour, no matter how much the Tories spin it. And how mad is it that the Northern towns are voting Tory, when the Tories batter the deprived and poor. It's completely bonkers. I think that does show Labour have a lot of work to do up in north still in their traditional holds.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 6th May 2022, 12:34 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

So Labour have only made modest gains despite Partygate, the cost of living crisis and all the other problems accumulated with the Tory government. I think this suggests they still aren’t in a position to be elected in their own right and still have a lot of work to do to convince voters. I think people will also vote differently at a general election anyway and there is still a real possibility we could be stuck with this shambolic Tory government in two years time.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 6th May 2022, 12:52 PM
Post #34
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Honestly kind of appalled that the Tories were able to leave off their party leaflets that a) they represent the Conservative party and b) Boris Johnson is the party leader.

That should be fraud.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 6th May 2022, 12:54 PM
Post #35
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

QUOTE(slowdown73 @ May 6 2022, 01:34 PM) *
So Labour have only made modest gains despite Partygate, the cost of living crisis and all the other problems accumulated with the Tory government. I think this suggests they still aren’t in a position to be elected in their own right and still have a lot of work to do to convince voters. I think people will also vote differently at a general election anyway and there is still a real possibility we could be stuck with this shambolic Tory government in two years time.

England is a conservative country and on top, the majority of the media that the majority of people consume either downplays crimes and indiscretions committed by Tory party leaders, or tries to suggest that all parties are equally doing the same - ergo a vote for the Conservative party is no 'worse' than any other vote.

You do not live in a functional democracy and it's just a case of realising that, in my view.

I have family in England and even those that consider themselves liberal have a completely warped view of the political landscape because over and over again, multiple times a day, the radio and tv news read out 5-10 minutes of propaganda that deliver a twisted view of what's going on. As Tesco would say, every little helps!

+Quote this post
¡Mike Rotch!
post 6th May 2022, 01:28 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

100%. Thr UK is NOT a democratic country. It is a one party state with rebranded feudalism gussied-up.

+Quote this post
¡Mike Rotch!
post 6th May 2022, 01:28 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

100%. Thr UK is NOT a democratic country. It is a one party state with rebranded feudalism gussied-up.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 6th May 2022, 01:31 PM
Post #38
Group icon

QUOTE(slowdown73 @ May 6 2022, 12:34 PM) *

And yet, I won't downplay that Labour have things to fix, but these are good results for them, good results for the Greens and Lib Dems, and more importantly bad results for the Tories. Especially given the bad results for Labour from a year ago. It's the first nationwide election since the referendum where they are the most popular party (35%-30%, 2018's locals were 35-35, 2016's were 31-30, all others were Conservatives or someone else ahead) and they were defending more, the Tories were defending less, it would have been excessively hard for the Tories to lose more.

There was a lot of expectation management from the Tory media going on before the vote (ridiculous stuff like from The Telegraph predicting losing 800 seats when that wouldn't even be possible) and that seems to be driving what's leading this as 'not such a bad result for the Tories as expected' when really it's dire, they're losing on all fronts and on councils where they had claimed to be the new saviours. Partly indicative of the stuff that J00ps talks about above that even in an election where they are clearly the winner the media has started looking to Labour failings.

Overall the Labour picture outside London is pretty much holding steady and even advancing from what they had in 2018, which was a great result for them (which SHOULD take the wind out of this ridiculous 'long corbyn' line that Laura K seems to be peddling because it's precisely because he did great back then that Labour's gains don't look so significant on the face on it), if they'd matched 2021 instead, they'd be losing seats. They're up seats. If this continues into the next year of the electoral cycle, and there's no reason to believe cost of living will go away for the Conservatives, they will lose a LOT more on those locals.

We also have a Labour controlled council in Worthing - they had no councillors there five years ago - imagine a Labour south because there are signs that it's not only LDs who will gain from the collapse of the Blue Wall. There's lots of Labour successes around these results and it's been a long time since we had so many of those.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 6th May 2022, 01:33 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

BBC have now projected government current national share

Labour: 35%

Conservatives: 30%

Lib Dems: 19%

Others: 16%

Considering most of the 16% are progressives (Green, SNP, PC etc) then we are not conservative country right now - that wasn't the case a few years back when Tories + Brexit Party was over 50%. So there has to be a progressive alliance.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 6th May 2022, 01:38 PM
Post #40
Group icon

There's signs of a few more Lib-Lab stress areas than we've come to be used to on these results (Hull for example, where LDs are now dominant despite that areas' Brexity associations, I don't think it's even that important anymore) - but broadly the strategy of LDs in rural seats, Labour in urban on a two-pronged attack with the Greens muscling in where that makes more sense still looks workable without making it a formal pact, which I do think would harm its likelihood to succeed.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th September 2024, 12:54 AM