BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Australian Election 2022
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post 21st May 2022, 11:24 AM
Post #1
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

They're counting these early (it's still the election day in Australia).

Anyway, looking like Scott Morrison and his Liberals (read: Tories) aren't doing so hot and a safe and pragmatic but still leftist Anthony Albanese and Labor (from what I've read) could be the next Australian government.

The polls had it as a closer race than this unless any Aussies (Dirca?) can correct me, but it's looking good:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/...test-seat-count
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Silas
post 21st May 2022, 11:26 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

ABC is projecting that the coalition cannot form a majority administration which means that we should see a change in government in Australia at last

Though I wouldn’t hold my breath about much change in terms of climate protection etc

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 21st May 2022, 11:30 AM
Post #3
Group icon

QUOTE(Silas @ May 21 2022, 11:26 AM) *
ABC is projecting that the coalition cannot form a majority administration which means that we should see a change in government in Australia at last

Though I wouldn’t hold my breath about much change in terms of climate protection etc

That's the big one that makes this significant. You'd hope that Labor would be better on that than the Coalition, but regardless they'll still be beholden to Australia's material interests that make it one of the worst polluting countries per capita

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 21st May 2022, 11:57 AM
Post #4
Group icon

Networks are calling the Liberals to be definitely removed from power now, whether it's Labor majority or minority still to be determined.

Or to put it another way, the UK is now the only nation in the core Anglosphere with a right-wing government (counting Ireland's FF/FG as centrists). Completely the opposite of 2016-2017 when Trudeau was the only non-rightist - and even then he's still not a leftist by any stretch.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 21st May 2022, 05:04 PM
Post #5
Group icon
stick my flag in the dirt, watch it blow
User: 8,300

Oh I had no idea there was an election coming in Australia so this was a nice surprise.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 21st May 2022, 06:55 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 124,514

QUOTE(Izzy 💀☄ @ May 21 2022, 12:57 PM) *
Or to put it another way, the UK is now the only nation in the core Anglosphere with a right-wing government (counting Ireland's FF/FG as centrists). Completely the opposite of 2016-2017 when Trudeau was the only non-rightist - and even then he's still not a leftist by any stretch.

Yes the UK right wingers have gone very quiet about this CANZUK nonsesnse funnily enough, especailly as they loathe Arden and Trudeau. Truly Liittle England. They're praying like mad for a Trump victory instead (or someone equally repulsvie liike Ron DeSantis) in 2024.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 21st May 2022, 07:53 PM
Post #7
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Smint @ May 21 2022, 07:55 PM) *
Yes the UK right wingers have gone very quiet about this CANZUK nonsesnse funnily enough, especailly as they loathe Arden and Trudeau. Truly Liittle England. They're praying like mad for a Trump victory instead (or someone equally repulsvie liike Ron DeSantis) in 2024.

The polls probably tell us that the tide is changing in the UK too. Not quite to the left, but certainly more liberal. It's why I suspect if the Tories continually flirt with very-right, they will ultimately lose power in the next general election.

Good on Australia though - will be interesting if they can push a climate revolution there now.

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 24th May 2022, 02:32 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

QUOTE(Izzy 💀☄ @ May 21 2022, 07:30 PM) *
That's the big one that makes this significant. You'd hope that Labor would be better on that than the Coalition, but regardless they'll still be beholden to Australia's material interests that make it one of the worst polluting countries per capita

Yeah Labor have not really shown any sign that they're less buddy buddy with the mining industry than the LNP, but an optimistic read of the election result is a pretty sizeable swing to The Greens + Independents, the former are looking like getting 3 seats in the House of Reps after never getting more than 1, which at least to me indicates the populace does care about climate issues more than previously assumed.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th June 2024, 09:20 AM