BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Flood vs These Days, Which do you prefer?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
The Flood vs These Days
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 36
Guests cannot vote 
milly
post Jun 20 2016, 12:56 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,540
QUOTE(jay727 @ Jun 20 2016, 01:58 PM) *
Haha!! I should have never forget on there too!

I quite like WCIWUWY, am I the only one? laugh.gif

Nope, you have company smile.gif It's one of my favorites, to be honest.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
milly
post Jun 20 2016, 12:59 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
QUOTE(Kath @ Jun 20 2016, 03:31 PM) *
Well here are my top 10 ... and in :

1 Patience
2 Up All Night
3 Rule The World
4 Said It All
5 Shine
6 Never Forget
7 Back For Good
8 Pray
9 She Said
10 Reach Out
Most disliked (in any order):

Promises
I Found Heaven
WCIWUWU
Once You've Tasted Love
Love Ain't Here Anymore
A Million Love Songs

Oh ... and how could I forget - the dirge that is I'd Wait For Life!

I would have included It Only Takes A Minute - but it has been removed from Room 101 due to that fabulous Tangoed version on the reunion tour.

Some of them weren't singles, Kath smile.gif
But, since you mentioned them, I like She Said and Reach Out too.

I find it every interesting that most of us like Patience better than RTW. I've been under the impression that most fans believed RTW to be TT's best single to date.

This post has been edited by milly: Jun 20 2016, 01:02 PM

+Quote this post
Kath
post Jun 20 2016, 02:04 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980
QUOTE(milly @ Jun 20 2016, 01:59 PM) *

I find it every interesting that most of us like Patience better than RTW. I've been under the impression that most fans believed RTW to be TT's best single to date.

I know some weren't singles - I was just talking songs in general. A lot of songs that didn't make it as singles were FAR superior than some that escaped as singles. I cite as obvious examples - Reach Out, Beautiful World, What You Believe In and the lovely - Like I Never Loved You At All - all immensely superior to the awful I'd Wait For Life (which was essentially a solo song - and a bit of a vanity piece).

I quite liked the video to it though.

+Quote this post
Kath
post Jun 20 2016, 02:04 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980
QUOTE(milly @ Jun 20 2016, 01:59 PM) *

I know some weren't singles - I was just talking songs in general. A lot of songs that didn't make it as singles were FAR superior than some that escaped as singles. I cite as obvious examples - Reach Out, Beautiful World, What You Believe In and the lovely - Like I Never Loved You At All - all immensely superior to the awful I'd Wait For Life (which was essentially a solo song - and a bit of a vanity piece).

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jun 20 2016, 02:46 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
These Days starting to pull away again in the vote.

Top 10,

1. Rule The World
2. Never Forget.
3. Patience
4. Love Love
5. Love Aint Here Anymore
6. These Days
7. The Flood
8. Back For Good
9. A Million Love Songs
10 It Only Takes A Minute Girl

Bottom 5
1. Id Wait for Life
2. Why Cant I Wake Up With You
3. I Found Heaven
4. Sure
5. Hey Boy

+Quote this post
milly
post Jun 20 2016, 02:54 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
QUOTE(Kath @ Jun 20 2016, 05:04 PM) *

Well, you know where I stand with I'd Wait for Life, but I agree that Like I Never Loved You at All is a better song and I'd have loved for it to be a single.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jun 20 2016, 02:58 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I'd Wait for Life would have made a pleasant album track. The decision to release it as single remains questionable to this day when they had so many stronger tracks on what was an overall wonderful album full of delightful single choices.

+Quote this post
jay727
post Jun 20 2016, 05:22 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 12,273
QUOTE(Jade @ Jun 20 2016, 01:56 PM) *
Top 10:

1. Patience
2. Back For Good
3. The Flood
4. These Days
5. Rule The World
6. Happy Now
7. Kidz
8. I'd Wait For Life
9. Said It All
10. SOS

Bottom 5:

1. Sure
2. How Deep Is Your Love
3. Up All Night
4. Greatest Day
5. Love Love

Edit: Oops sorry i completely missed 'singles'! Would replace SOS with Relight My Fire in that case.

Good to see Kidz and Happy Now there! Good choices!

QUOTE(pippa @ Jun 20 2016, 03:58 PM) *
I'd Wait for Life would have made a pleasant album track. The decision to release it as single remains questionable to this day when they had so many stronger tracks on what was an overall wonderful album full of delightful single choices.

Love the video to this though. Agreed though, I would have definitely released Reach Out over this (although I think it was originally scheduled as single #4 in the UK before RTW came along...)

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jun 20 2016, 07:24 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Beautiful World was monster selling album. Id Wait for Life I believe was a very un-noticed single and only the fans bought the single and diehard fans I refer to. I believe it picked up zero casual sales and zero non Take That fans. Reach Out could have done just that and reached out to an audience that may have also bought the album that had not done so up to this point. Reach Out is wonderful and I think it would have been a top 10 hit and would have got sales for the album. The re-release couldn’t have been handled any better than they did with the magnificent Rule The World. The era was handled so brilliantly apart from the decision of releasing Id Wait For Life.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Jun 20 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
I used to hear Reach Out and Beautiful World played a lot in shops, and still do actually. I never heard anywhere play I'd Wait For Life, it's the last song on the album I'd have chosen as a single. My favourite non-single tracks on that album though were Mancunian Way and Wooden Boat, not that either would have been good single choices.

We All Fall Down was great too, and would have made a nice 2nd single from the repack, if it hadn't already been wasted as a b-side to the hugely inferior I'd Wait For Life.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: Jun 20 2016, 07:36 PM

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jun 20 2016, 07:42 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
We All Fall Down was so superior to Id Wait For Life, how anyone in the decision making of the single thought other wise remains questionable. I always felt and still feel Hold Up A Light was a wasted single opportunity from the Wonderful the Circus album. I do believe it was sent to radio for promotion of the album but was never scheduled to be a fully fledged single.

The decline in the handling of singles started in the Circus era, the release of singles were starting to get messy and UN-co-ordintaed and the decline has got steeper and steep since. That said, Beautiful World, The Circus and Progress were album all given ample opportunity to sell due to various promotion. Three i feel wasn't given the same opportunity and is part of the reason it did not sell as well as hoped. I know general interest had declined with Three but it still could have achieved much more.

+Quote this post
dylan62
post Jun 20 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 23,185
They were fortunate to have the TV coverage and promotion they did in the early stages of their comeback, far more than comparable artists. In recent years they haven't had that advantage and suffered accordingly. Other artists haven't have significant TV promotion but have still sold very well. It seems that TT need TV coverage to maximise their sales and garner public interest.

Given the lack of radio support television will become interestingly important for them. I do believe lll would have sold in greater numbers if they'd scheduled a TV special as they did for previous albums. BW was indeed handled very well and I agree that WFL was a lamentable choice for a single; great video but not single worthy. There were far better options, some of which have already been mentioned.

Any future campaigns need to be handled expertly. However, given the record company's track record I'm dubious about any significant improvements in this area. Sadly, unless they produced fantastic music of the calibre of Patience or RTW I foresee a further downturn in sales.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jun 21 2016, 12:59 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I totally agree with your points dylan 62 especially when you say "Any future campaigns need to be handled expertly" this is detrimental to their future success.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Jun 21 2016, 01:48 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
The music industry is so different now to when they first came back though, album sales are in the gutter and almost nobody can attract major album sales anymore. And streaming will seriously hamper their chances of getting another major hit single, even if their campaigns are handled expertly.

In addition to that, the novelty/aura surrounding them has well and truly worn off now. Beautiful World was helped by the 'they're back!' factor as well as being an excellent record of course and The Circus then benefitted from a halo effect of Beautiful World being so big.

Progress then sold so well in part thanks to the Robbie hype an the whole band being back together again. III suffered from not having any of these, and no doubt the next album will suffer the same drop off in sales/success sadly.

That said, if they really can pull a blinder and find another Rule The World to lead with, that would at least increase their chances of having a successful album campaign. If they return with something along the lines of Hey Boy (though I liked it), then the next album will flop hard, though it might still get a decent-ish opening week.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jun 21 2016, 06:00 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
A Rule the World style song is exactly what is needed to kick start the new album campaign and if they could do so they stand a chance of at least matching the sales of Three. However, if a single of Hey Boy style is what kicks the campaign off i think the new album will have reasonably good opening sales but will overall be lucky to sell platinum status.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Jun 27 2016, 11:50 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Sadly i dont think we will ever get another Rule the World or Patience for that matter as they seem to have gone in a very different direction. But who knows, after all who ever expected Take That to come back and have 10 hugely successful years, and add millions more to their sales,.

+Quote this post
Chris_2k14
post Jun 27 2016, 11:53 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,347
These Days

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jun 28 2016, 01:06 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
With Take That i would never rule out another Rule The World as they really can surprise when you least expect it. If Since I Saw You Last was The Three release i think Take That would still be on the crest of a wave. It done extremely well for Gary and Gary does not have the full selling power of Take That. That album under the Take That name would have easily become a million seller or much higher.

+Quote this post
milly
post Jun 28 2016, 03:29 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
I may be mistaken, but I have a feeling nowadays Gary's name holds a much bigger selling power than the Take That brand.
But I agree that, at the time SISYL was released, had TT released it, it would have sold over a million copies - although it's really hard to picture than album as a TT one, since most songs are extremely personal.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jun 28 2016, 04:29 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
It was and remains a wonderful album. I think your point is very valid about it been a personal album but some songs just may have worked under Take That. I am delighted Gary managed to have such a successful album with Since I Saw You Last. I truly believe the success of his solo album meant a lot more to him than we will ever know.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:42 PM