BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 2024 Tennis Thread
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
PeteFromLeeds
post 7th March 2024, 08:45 PM
Post #61
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Just seen that Simona Halep will be back in action in Miami now her four-year doping ban has been reduced to nine months.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 12th March 2024, 08:41 AM
Post #62
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

oh Djokovic out in Indian Wells after losing to some Italian I've never ever heard before

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 12th March 2024, 08:00 PM
Post #63
Group icon

The world number 123 apparently! Just listening to his interview now - sounds like he just wasn't on form at all that day unfortunately.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 21st March 2024, 09:17 PM
Post #64
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Britain's Katie Boulter is through to the Miami Open third round after teenage opponent Brenda Fruhvirtova was forced to pull out through illness.

Boulter, who is Britain's leading women's player after a strong start to 2024, led 7-6 (7-5) 1-0 when 16-year-old Fruhvirtova decided to stop.

After leading by an early break, the Czech started to suffer in the Florida heat and twice asked to see a doctor.

"To win like that, I'll take it but I want her to get better," said Boulter.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 25th March 2024, 09:01 AM
Post #65
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Alcaraz was fantastic in Indian Wells, saw the match against Medvedev and he's on another level

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 27th March 2024, 01:54 PM
Post #66
Group icon

World number one Novak Djokovic has split with coach Goran Ivanisevic.

Former Wimbledon champion Ivanisevic became Djokovic's main coach in March 2022, having worked with him alongside long-time mentor Marian Vajda since 2018.

Serb Djokovic has won a joint-record 24 Grand Slam singles titles but has made a disappointing start to 2024.

"Goran and I decided to stop working together a few days ago," Djokovic said on Instagram.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 27th March 2024, 02:06 PM
Post #67
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

wasn't expecting that

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 28th March 2024, 07:26 PM
Post #68
Group icon

Australian Open champion Jannik Sinner reached the Miami semi-finals by ending Tomas Machac's stunning run at the ATP Masters event.

Second seed Sinner used his explosive power and precision to win 6-4 6-2 against his 60th-ranked Czech opponent.

Machac beat Andy Murray and Andrey Rublev to play a first Masters quarter-final but Sinner's level was too good.

The 22-year-old Italian will face third seed Daniil Medvedev in a rematch of January's Australian Open final.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 30th March 2024, 09:34 PM
Post #69
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

That's a big surprise, Danielle Collins winning Miami, she's ranked number 53. It's her last year before retiring so well done to her.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 31st March 2024, 12:46 AM
Post #70
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

What a fairytale for her, the biggest title of her career, in her home state, achieved before she hangs up the racket.

Once she got to the semi-finals, I could see her taking it as it will continue a pattern of Miami not having a defending women's champion in the draw into a fourth year laugh.gif

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 13th April 2024, 06:54 PM
Post #71
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

That's an impressive win for GB, beating France away from home on the clay, two wins for Emma and one for Katie. I can't get the BBC iplayer in Ireland so I couldn't watch but I was keeping an eye on the score.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 15th April 2024, 08:35 PM
Post #72
Group icon

Well done to them! That must be a real boost especially for Emma.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Monday, 04:24 PM
Post #73
Group icon

Casper Ruud won his first title of 2024 as he beat Stefanos Tsitsipas in straight sets to win the Barcelona Open.

Norwegian third seed Ruud defeated the Greek fifth seed 7-5 6-3 to claim the biggest title of his career.

It is the first time the 25-year-old, who is ranked sixth in the world, has won an ATP 500-ranked event.

"For me it means a lot, this is my biggest title that I ever won," said Ruud.

"It's something I've chased for a long time already. I've never won a 500 before or a 1000. I've been to a few finals but always came up a little bit short."

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Monday, 04:26 PM
Post #74
Group icon

ATP Ranking Movements:

newup.png 17. Alexander Bublik (Kazakhstan)
newup.png 18. Sebastian Baez (Argentina)
newdown.png 19. Karen Khachanov

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Monday, 04:27 PM
Post #75
Group icon

WTA Ranking Movements:

newup.png 7. Marketa Vondrousova (Czechia)
newdown.png 8. Qinwen Zheng (China)
newup.png 13. Jasmine Paolini (Italy)
newdown.png 14. Beatriz Haddad-Maia (Brazil)

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Wednesday, 12:09 AM
Post #76
Group icon

Harriet Dart has joined fellow Britons Emma Raducanu and Katie Boulter in the main draw of the Madrid Open.

Dart, 27, beat Russia's Maria Timofeeva in her second qualifying match.

The British number two fought back from a set down to earn a 4-6 6-3 7-5 victory and will face Spain's Cristina Bucsa in the first round.

Raducanu will meet Argentine qualifier Maria Lourdes Carle in her first-round encounter on Wednesday.

The 21-year-old was set to play Karolina Pliskova in the opening round, but the former world number one pulled out of the tournament because of a wrist injury.

British number one Boulter, 27, will miss the first round and will meet the winner of the match between American wildcard Robin Montgomery and Russia's Elina Avanesyan in the second.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Wednesday, 10:44 PM
Post #77
Group icon

Emma Raducanu said she felt "mentally and emotionally exhausted" after losing in the first round at the Madrid Open.

The 21-year-old was beaten 6-2 6-2 by Argentine qualifier Maria Lourdes Carle.

Raducanu helped Britain beat France in the Billie Jean King Cup before reaching her first WTA quarter-final in 19 months at the Stuttgart Open last week as she continues her comeback from an injury-hit 2023 season.

"I would say the last few weeks have been a lot," Raducanu said.

“I think from the performance today it was very clear that mentally and emotionally I was exhausted.

"I was trying to push through and I was just unable to push through today. I guess the sport is just pretty brutal.”

Raducanu, who dropped to 303rd in the world following wrist and ankle operations last year, was set to play Karolina Pliskova in her opening match - but the former world number one pulled out of the tournament because of a wrist injury.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Thursday, 12:11 AM
Post #78
Group icon

Rafael Nadal says he will only play at the French Open next month if he feels "capable enough to compete".

Spaniard Nadal, a 14-time champion at Roland Garros, missed the French Open for the first time in 19 years through injury in 2023.

The 37-year-old has indicated he plans to retire after the 2024 season.

He is set to make a farewell appearance at the Madrid Open this week and faces American 16-year-old Darwin Blanch in the first round on Thursday.

"If I was in Paris today, I wouldn't go out to play," Nadal said.

"I don't think I'll be able to play at 100% but it's important to be able to play for the last time in Madrid. It means a lot to me to play on this court where I've had some great moments."

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Yesterday, 12:40 AM
Post #79
Group icon

Rafael Nadal began his Madrid Open farewell with a crushing straight-set win over American teenager Darwin Blanch.

The five-time Madrid champion, who has indicated he plans to retire after the 2024 season, took just 63 minutes to complete a 6-1 6-0 victory against his 16-year-old opponent.

Nadal, 37, said this week he will only play at the French Open next month if he feels "capable enough to compete".

He will play Australian Alex de Minaur, who beat him in the second round of the Barcelona Open last week, in the next round in Madrid.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Yesterday, 12:45 AM
Post #80
Group icon

The Billie Jean King Cup Finals will switch to a knockout format this year, with the final taking place in Seville on 20 November.

An extended nine-day event will overlap briefly with the men's Davis Cup Final 8, which begins in Malaga on the eve of the Billie Jean King Cup final.

The International Tennis Federation (ITF) says the aim of revamping the women's event is to “maximise the visibility” and to create a “fortnight of World Cup tennis” in Andalucia.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 09:35 PM