BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Girl Gone Wild ● 5 Years
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post May 28 2017, 01:19 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

This month marks 5 years since the UK physical release of 'Girl Gone Wild', single number two from MDNA.

'Girl Gone Wild' was one of two songs on the album to be co-written and -produced by Benassi Bros - the name in which cousins Benny and Alle collaborate under - with Jenson Vaughan also having an input on the writing. Commenting on the recording sessions, Madonna noted that Benny's lack of English meant Alle had to stand in as an interpreter; a difficulty at first before realising "with music it's so much about the vibe and the energy and you know when things are working and when they’re not". 'Girl Gone Wild' was quickly announced as the second single - just one day after the Super Bowl, in fact - and a lyric video premiering the track was released February 27th, with a digital download available from March 2nd. The song has a much dancier sound than its predecessor, 'Give Me All Your Luvin'', with a thumping beat driving through the electro-pop production and lyrics of music taking over your body and allowing you to release your inhibitions - a very familiar theme in Madonna songs.

Critical reception saw mixed reviews once again. The production was praised by most, with its "night out anthem" quality gaining comparisons to her early 90s and Confessions work, but the lyrics were highlighted as the song's main downfall with too much reliance on faceless, embarrassing and meaningless lyrics. The can't-be-missed reference to Cyndi Lauper's hit 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' was noted and criticised. The commercial performance was disappointing - it did manage to reach the Top 10 in the likes of Italy and Spain but bombed in some of Madonna's most loyal countries: #73 in the UK, #93 in Australia and #106 in the US.

The music video was teased in a 30 second trailer released to her newly set up VEVO account before the full video was revealed a couple of weeks later. It's shot completely in black and white and focuses on imagery and dance routines, with Madonna appearing in three styles dubbed "super vixen", "rockstar" and "platinum bombshell". Madonna recruited the Ukrainian dance group Kazaky to feature in the video after being inspired by their androgynous style of muscular bodies dancing in heels, as well as enlisting various male models. If the song itself failed to impress, the video definitely salvaged things. Critics likened the video to those of 'Justify My Love', 'Erotica' and 'Vogue', complementing the "rousing dance sequence" in which Madonna "look[ed] the best she has since at least 2005's video for 'Hung Up'". A fan-chosen Billboard poll placed the video as her sixth best ever and it earned her two nominations at the 2013 International Dance Music Awards.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol

Comments on the song:

QUOTE(j₳rk @ Feb 27 2012, 05:57 PM) *
Seems like it's just called Girl Gone Wild then. It's... okay for what it is. I just really hope she gets this faceless cheapo-dance music phase out of her system soon and we get some proper music from her next time. It's pretty reductive.

QUOTE(Liаm @ Feb 27 2012, 05:58 PM) *
Really liking it on first listen, it's very Wynter Gordon (that is meant to be a compliment tongue.gif)! Much more 'Madonna' than Give Me All Your Luvin' as wel, but it has blatant flop written all over it....

QUOTE(MadonnaFan2012 @ Feb 27 2012, 06:00 PM) *
Loving it. Sounds like its straight from Confessions.

May the blip that is Hard Candy stay in the past from now on.

QUOTE(Regina @ Feb 27 2012, 06:02 PM) *
Is this not just a remix? I read somewhere thats what we were getting. Either way, I love this <3

QUOTE(Doug @ Feb 27 2012, 06:03 PM) *
much better than 'give me all your luvin''! wub.gif I much prefer her songs like this, reminds me of 'get together' a little bit, although no way near as good.

QUOTE(Johnkm @ Feb 27 2012, 06:55 PM) *
You've picked the 2 worst tracks on Confessions to compare it with though. This doesn't hold a candle to the best moments on it. It's not a bad song per se, it's just a continuation of the hopelessly faceless dance-pop line she's taken since Celebration. It's an enjoyable enough track and if this was a one off perhaps I wouldn't mind, but an album full of vapid nonsense like this sounds pretty unappealin. Especially from someone who put out Confessions not 6 years ago.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
Post #3
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Jáhq @ Feb 27 2012, 06:59 PM) *
Could be a grower but right now I'm like "is that it?". Massively prefer Give Me All Your Luvin'.

QUOTE(Jack @ Feb 27 2012, 07:04 PM) *
It's terrible, she sounds utterly bored on it. Like Jark said, it's completely faceless too ... could be literally anyone singing it. It won't be a hit.

QUOTE(Tyler @ Feb 27 2012, 07:14 PM) *
This sounds like a 'COADF' F-side.

QUOTE(Swagger91 @ Feb 27 2012, 07:36 PM) *
It's so generic and uninspired. If you didn't know who it was by and you heard it on the radio it would just merge into everything else currently out there and be completely forgotten ten minutes later. Boring.

QUOTE(Nick F1 @ Feb 27 2012, 08:17 PM) *
The album version is way better than Radio edit, this is like Get Together meets Celebration and I LOVE it.

QUOTE(Acoustic @ Feb 27 2012, 08:55 PM) *
I quite like it on a first listen. I don't think it'll be a hit but I can see it being like 'Dirty Talk' and getting played a lot in clubs.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
Post #4
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Slick @ Feb 27 2012, 09:09 PM) *
As others have said, for a woman who said "every record sounds the same" on her previous single this is pretty anonymous and... ordinary. I really liked Give Me All Your Luvin', even if it was a bit of a disappointment for most, but this IS very disappointing. She really is so far behind everybody else these days it's almost upsetting.

I get the Wynter Gordon comparisons too. Apart from 2 or 3 songs, I disliked that albums' anonymity and generic 'dance choons' too.

QUOTE(vibe @ Feb 27 2012, 09:26 PM) *
this is so good, i dont really understand how people can appreciate confessions and not this? People should remember that Madonna created dance music before all the rnb acts started doing it! I actually think this is more edgy then confessions which i love to death btw!

QUOTE(Silver Rocket @ Feb 27 2012, 09:33 PM) *
Brilliantly produced, but a really shite song unfortunately. sad.gif Come ON Madonna, you CAN do better!

QUOTE(Shoat @ Feb 27 2012, 11:25 PM) *
This really is bloody terrible.
If anybody was still harbouring hopes that Give Me All Your Luvin' was just a little blip, then this must surely dash those straight off. We are clearly very much heading off for a sub-par Hard Candy. Madonna has throughout most of her career been quite poptastic, but she's never been as disposable as this before. There's nothing about her recent material that stands out, and nothing that says that this is all coming from a woman who is easily one of the most iconic popstars in history. She's making it all too easy for people to fire back the term "reductive" at her. The track is slickly produced but completely unexciting, she's not making the slightest bit of effort to sing anymore, and if anybody thought the lyrics to Celebration were cheap, generic, and utterly derivative, then just wait for them to hear Madge asserting that "girls just wanna have some fun" and begging "DJ play my favourite song". It really is a throwback to the most basic of 80s pop fluff.

The woman could very easily find herself to be over by the end of the year.

QUOTE(thtr @ Feb 27 2012, 11:30 PM) *
Girl Gone Wild, heard a couple of versions, I'm liking this, addictive good chorus, more I hear it the more I like, as per most of her songs smile.gif Plenty of non-Madonna fans are liking it. I'm buying it, it'll sound great in the clubs! Looking forward to hearing the Album, I want to hear some of the Williams tracks now.

QUOTE(slowdown73 @ Feb 27 2012, 11:36 PM) *
I've just listened to this track a couple of times. Its a grower. It's a lot better than "gimme all your luvin" but I don't think its anything fantastic. It won't go down as a classic Madonna single but I'd be happy enough if the rest of the album is along these lines. Definate step up on the last single and should do a lot better.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
Post #5
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Casey__ @ Feb 28 2012, 06:47 AM) *
She looks amazing in the artwork!

For the song, I like it, but it's certainly nowhere near her best and I much prefer the singles from 'Hard Candy' so far. GMAYL is a much better song than this. It may grow, we'll see!

QUOTE(SweetCandy @ Feb 28 2012, 08:49 AM) *
I'm not sure on this one, it's probably a grower.

Its either a Madonna classic in the future or just rubbish.

QUOTE(Davidson @ Feb 28 2012, 07:01 PM) *
Need to give it some time but at the moment I really don't like it very much and I don't get the Wynter Gordon comparisons as her debut album was actually GOOD. Also wish she would put it away in the single cover, she will still be letting it all hang out when shes 76 won't she?

QUOTE(Vague @ Mar 3 2012, 01:13 PM) *
The song is OK, but not good enough for an artist of Madonna's status - especially to be released as a second single.

I know its fashionable these days to say "put it away love" etc etc when it comes to Madonna, but the lyrics and theme of the song *are* cringe worthy for a woman in her mid-thirties let alone fifties.

At this stage its only the William Orbit tracks that are keeping me interested in the album.

She needs to stop trying to jump onto the tail-end of current, and often tired, trends (the already dated Guetta sound, GMAYL being essentially a rehash of Hello etc, Nicki Minaj etc) as she has been doing with this album and Hard Candy and go back to doing her own thing regardless of what other people are doing. That's when she is at her musical best, and often at her commercial best; Ray of Light, Confessions, Like a Prayer etc.

She's never going to be the 'hot' artist that teens etc are listening to and she should stop trying so desperately to be. She's Madonna and she's already proved herself but the more she churns out this cheap generic *** the more she devalues her own musical legacy and turns herself into a joke.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
Post #6
BuzzJack Idol

And on the video:

QUOTE(Casey__ @ Mar 21 2012, 02:06 AM) *
Actually quite enjoyed the video! The song is definitely growing on me more and more too.

QUOTE(Umi @ Mar 21 2012, 03:13 AM) *
The video is better than the song deserved for sure. It's excellent and it's a pity this era is basically already dead.

QUOTE(Swagger91 @ Mar 21 2012, 12:32 PM) *
Cool video, very sex. WAY better than the song.

QUOTE(SweetCandy @ Mar 21 2012, 03:56 PM) *
The video is ok.

QUOTE(Regina @ Mar 21 2012, 04:01 PM) *
Its good, woulda liked more of her and her dancers, which I thought was amazing.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 28 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Idol

I've had a bit of a love-hate relationship with this. I think I quite liked it at the time and I imagine found it preferable to 'Give Me All Your Luvin'', but I know I ended up finding it one of her worst songs at one point. Right now, I actually don't mind it and would even keep it on the album. I know the music itself is very uninspired but I do find it rather catchy and I think it would appear better if there were some credible lyrics to go with - that, for me, is its biggest downfall.

The video is quite brilliant though and I'd probably say it was her best since the Confessions era too. Style-over-substance it may be, but who cares when the style is that good? Madonna looks incredible and I adore the dance routine.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post May 28 2017, 02:53 PM
Post #8
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

I ADORE this and the video. It's incredible in a club and just a downright fantastic, rousing, powerful song/statement. It represent Madonna of recent times, fearless, sexy, no-f***s, strong and independent. I understand the criticism it gets, but I can't deny my love for the song.

+Quote Post
vibe
post May 29 2017, 08:39 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

Still love this
I was in Miami when the video was released this song was huge in the clubs .

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 3 2017, 12:28 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(HausofSZA @ May 28 2017, 03:53 PM) *
I ADORE this and the video. It's incredible in a club and just a downright fantastic, rousing, powerful song/statement. It represent Madonna of recent times, fearless, sexy, no-f***s, strong and independent. I understand the criticism it gets, but I can't deny my love for the song.

Great to hear you have such strong feelings towards the track, even if I don't hold it in the same high regard. I have to say, I'd likely lose my shit if I heard it on a night out.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:44 AM